Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing career help?

Options
  • 18-05-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

I am a qualified teacher, I have an undergrad in Fine art and a recognised postgrad in teaching, I have years of experience teaching adults, elderly, young children, teenagers and special needs. Im professional, empathetic, considerate, very knowledgeable in my subject area and love working with people, im inclusive, honest and hardworking.

I have been casually subbing a long time but have had nothing stable, ive been messed around by schools and education departments and centers - Offered jobs only for them to give the job to somebody else known to the employer and given no apology or explanation, called into work only to find out they double booked subs and told to go home, offered a position only for the position to change last minute and hours reduced and no work and no pay over Summer and holidays. Its a nightmare. I have applied to over 10 teaching positions in the last couple of weeks and haven't been contacted for a single interview. I cant keep this up any longer.

Ive applied to administration jobs, receptionist jobs, jobs in shops, cafes, hotels and get nothing. I had one interview a few months ago but one look at my cv, they questioned why I had put so much time and effort into pursuing art, teaching and working with young people to change paths now? Told me I should continue to pursue this, when I explained my experience of teaching and difficulty in securing full time roles adding all the skills ive gained from my teaching and educational experience which are transferable to the job I was interviewing for, they didnt want to know, said id be better off to stay on that path. I feel like im pigeon holed by employers.

I come from a very working class family, I was entitled to all the grants to attend college and thought that by going to college I was bettering myself and giving myself a chance of getting out of poverty, how wrong was I. No employer will give me a chance because of my degrees and teaching experience. Maybe its a case of them thinking I will leave the job if a better position came up and see me as unreliable in that way but its frustrating.

Ive applied to art galleries as I have a Fine art degree but apparently theyre looking for years of gallery experience and a masters in museum practice and management - or none of that as long as you know someone in charge. - The masters still wont guarantee a job.

I ran childrens art class's for a couple of years to add to my cv but the cost of insurance, rent and art materials on top of it all meant I was losing money.

I worked in Summer camps but this option isnt feasible long term, also, similarly to subbing, I was messed around by managements so much it made the experience not worth it and pay was very low. I can see why these jobs are aimed towards teenagers and young people who dont have responsibilities and just want a bit of work experience.

Ive thought about going back to college to do a masters but dont know what I would do? Im terrible at maths so thats not an option but as far as I can tell, almost anything outside maths/science related areas are dead ends and securing any work involves a great amount of luck and nepotism.

I considered a Fetac level 5 or 6 but again, in what? Most are aimed at students progressing to third level, a degree in most subject areas seems to be the minimum requirement, and not just any degree will do, it has to be a specific degree tailored specifically to that subject area, even if skills from other degrees are transferable, it doesnt matter to employers, they want to see that youve dedicated 4 years + of your life to that specific subject.

Ive considered childcare and special needs but its very similar to teaching, I know from working in schools, SNA's and childcare assistants are struggling to get secure, permanent positions and are often covering sick leaves, maternity leaves and day to day cover.

I then considered doing a fetac 5 or 6 in beauty therapy, ive always been obsessed with beauty products, skin care, makeup, I go for facials and have always considered doing a massage therapy course but im not sure if jobs prospects in this area are good either?

Can I have some suggestions or advice? Im lost, I dont know what to do anymore and feeling very disillusioned and worn down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I am a qualified teacher, I have an undergrad in Fine art and a recognised postgrad in teaching, I have years of experience teaching adults, elderly, young children, teenagers and special needs. Im professional, empathetic, considerate, very knowledgeable in my subject area and love working with people, im inclusive, honest and hardworking.

I have been casually subbing a long time but have had nothing stable, ive been messed around by schools and education departments and centers - Offered jobs only for them to give the job to somebody else known to the employer and given no apology or explanation, called into work only to find out they double booked subs and told to go home, offered a position only for the position to change last minute and hours reduced and no work and no pay over Summer and holidays. Its a nightmare. I have applied to over 10 teaching positions in the last couple of weeks and haven't been contacted for a single interview. I cant keep this up any longer.

Ive applied to administration jobs, receptionist jobs, jobs in shops, cafes, hotels and get nothing. I had one interview a few months ago but one look at my cv, they questioned why I had put so much time and effort into pursuing art, teaching and working with young people to change paths now? Told me I should continue to pursue this, when I explained my experience of teaching and difficulty in securing full time roles adding all the skills ive gained from my teaching and educational experience which are transferable to the job I was interviewing for, they didnt want to know, said id be better off to stay on that path. I feel like im pigeon holed by employers.

I come from a very working class family, I was entitled to all the grants to attend college and thought that by going to college I was bettering myself and giving myself a chance of getting out of poverty, how wrong was I. No employer will give me a chance because of my degrees and teaching experience. Maybe its a case of them thinking I will leave the job if a better position came up and see me as unreliable in that way but its frustrating.

Ive applied to art galleries as I have a Fine art degree but apparently theyre looking for years of gallery experience and a masters in museum practice and management - or none of that as long as you know someone in charge. - The masters still wont guarantee a job.

I ran childrens art class's for a couple of years to add to my cv but the cost of insurance, rent and art materials on top of it all meant I was losing money.

I worked in Summer camps but this option isnt feasible long term, also, similarly to subbing, I was messed around by managements so much it made the experience not worth it and pay was very low. I can see why these jobs are aimed towards teenagers and young people who dont have responsibilities and just want a bit of work experience.

Ive thought about going back to college to do a masters but dont know what I would do? Im terrible at maths so thats not an option but as far as I can tell, almost anything outside maths/science related areas are dead ends and securing any work involves a great amount of luck and nepotism.

I considered a Fetac level 5 or 6 but again, in what? Most are aimed at students progressing to third level, a degree in most subject areas seems to be the minimum requirement, and not just any degree will do, it has to be a specific degree tailored specifically to that subject area, even if skills from other degrees are transferable, it doesnt matter to employers, they want to see that youve dedicated 4 years + of your life to that specific subject.

Ive considered childcare and special needs but its very similar to teaching, I know from working in schools, SNA's and childcare assistants are struggling to get secure, permanent positions and are often covering sick leaves, maternity leaves and day to day cover.

I then considered doing a fetac 5 or 6 in beauty therapy, ive always been obsessed with beauty products, skin care, makeup, I go for facials and have always considered doing a massage therapy course but im not sure if jobs prospects in this area are good either?

Can I have some suggestions or advice? Im lost, I dont know what to do anymore and feeling very disillusioned and worn down.

You just need a chance to prove yourself. What I have found is that lots of people have talents they were unaware of. You just need to get yourself in the door of a good company.

Going back to education can be a good option but I think you need a job.

What about working in an office environment. Procurement or logistics?

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

You just need a chance to prove yourself. What I have found is that lots of people have talents they were unaware of. You just need to get yourself in the door of a good company.

Going back to education can be a good option but I think you need a job.

What about working in an office environment. Procurement or logistics?

Ive applied to office work but not getting the jobs. I can apply for the jobs till im blue in the face but cant make the employers hire me. My lack of trying/applying to different positions isnt the issue. Im doing everything in my power.

Ive applied to office work but not getting the jobs. I can apply for the jobs till im blue in the face but cant make the employers hire me. My lack of trying/applying to different positions isnt the issue. Im doing everything in my power.

Could you get someone to look at your CV? Maybe there are issues there?

I'm sure you're a beauty but just looking the part can help sometimes. Put on nice clothes and get a nice haircut.

Are you okay with a computer? You need to keep going and do not give up.

There are a lot of idiots out there who like employing other idiots. There are also nice genuine people who will give other's a chance.

Could you get someone to look at your CV? Maybe there are issues there?

I'm sure you're a beauty but just looking the part can help sometimes. Put on nice clothes and get a nice haircut.

Are you okay with a computer? You need to keep going and do not give up.

There are a lot of idiots out there who like employing other idiots. There are also nice genuine people who will give other's a chance.

Yes I have had my cv checked by an employment advisor, I had the principal of the school I worked in check my applications for feedback and I contacted an interview coach.

I can use a computer, its a basic requirement for any teaching position and would have had to have computer skills to complete both an art course and a teaching course. I regularly use power point, excel, Microsoft word, interactive white board etc.

When going for an interview I dress appropriately and professionally. I am clean and take care of my appearance.

Yes I have had my cv checked by an employment advisor, I had the principal of the school I worked in check my applications for feedback and I contacted an interview coach.

I can use a computer, its a basic requirement for any teaching position and would have had to have computer skills to complete both an art course and a teaching course. I regularly use power point, excel, Microsoft word, interactive white board etc.

When going for an interview I dress appropriately and professionally. I am clean and take care of my appearance.

You sound like you'd be an asset to any company.

Just keep going and don't give up. I know this doesn't sound like good advice but if you give up you have 0 chance. Not sure why people are turning you down, must be tough.

Have you tried a recruitment agency? Maybe you could get your foot in the door somewhere.

• Advertisement

You sound like you'd be an asset to any company.

Just keep going and don't give up. I know this doesn't sound like good advice but if you give up you have 0 chance. Not sure why people are turning you down, must be tough.

Have you tried a recruitment agency? Maybe you could get your foot in the door somewhere.

Thanks, I dont know why either, im so despondent now, just dont know what to do anymore. I am tired of filling out essay length applications that wont even be read. Im going around in circles.

Would you or anyone else have information on recruitment agencies and how I can get in touch with one?

Thanks, I dont know why either, im so despondent now, just dont know what to do anymore. I am tired of filling out essay length applications that wont even be read. Im going around in circles.

Would you or anyone else have information on recruitment agencies and how I can get in touch with one?

There should be loads. Depends on where you live. I think this could be a really good solution for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You're all over the place.

Nothing wrong with that, but let's try to fix it.

Do you want to be a teacher?

Do you just want a stable job, any job?

Do you want to work in an art gallery or museum?

Do you want to run a children's art class?

Do you want to go back to college?

Do you want to work in childcare?

Do you want to work in the special needs area?

Do you want to work in the beauty industry?

I don't expect you to answer these questions, but you can see why I asked them right? It seems you want to do everything, but also want to do nothing.

Let's start at the beginning.

What do you actually want to do?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You're all over the place.

Nothing wrong with that, but let's try to fix it.

Do you want to be a teacher?

Do you just want a stable job, any job?

Do you want to work in an art gallery or museum?

Do you want to run a children's art class?

Do you want to go back to college?

Do you want to work in childcare?

Do you want to work in the special needs area?

Do you want to work in the beauty industry?

I don't expect you to answer these questions, but you can see why I asked them right? It seems you want to do everything, but also want to do nothing.

Let's start at the beginning.

What do you actually want to do?

I want to teach art - thats what im trained to do, I also need to be able to financially support myself, job security is a necessity. Ideally id teach special needs as I loved it.

As much as I want to teach, I cant get a job in this area so I need to look at other options.

What potential jobs could I be looking at with an art degree - Museum/Gallery work - cant get a job in this area either.

So I started looking at roles related to my experience - Sna/childcare - Again this option isnt feasible and leaves me back at square one - Insecure employment and open to being messed around by schools.

Desperation for a job - any job meant I applied to cafe's, shops, office work etc - we all need to work and earn a living, even if that means moving away from what im trained in.

This didnt work out, it seems like my level of education or area of study is off putting for employers.

So I started looking at other options, what am I interested in, something I would be good at - Beauty therapy, would it get me a job? I dont know, so might not be worth pursuing.

I would want to go back to college if it opened up opportunities for me. I dont want to make an expensive mistake and finish the course to be in the same position.

OK - so your dream job is to teach art to people with special needs?

I don't know this area well, but it sounds like something a volunteer does, or something a very few lucky folk do for payment.

Are you single?

How old are you?

What are your commitments?

• Advertisement

Professional cert in financial advice.
    Multiple choice exams.... Two modules and you get the certificate. Do 6 and it's a professional diploma, qualified financial advisor.

Just a suggestion....but it's a route to getting an actual real job without too much effort.
    https://www.lia.ie/courses/professional-certificate-in-financial-advice

I'm not criticising you being helpful, but "working in an art gallery" vs. "working as a financial advisor".

****... that's a depressing alternative.

OK - so your dream job is to teach art to people with special needs?

I don't know this area well, but it sounds like something a volunteer does, or something a very few lucky folk do for payment.

Are you single?

How old are you?

What are your commitments?

Art teachers are employed in special needs schools, post primary schools, employed by ETB's payed 45 euro an hour working 22hours a week in adult education centers, prisons, special needs facilities, mental health facilities, colleges, adult education, Further ed settings, Youthreach among many other placements. It's a taught subject like any other on the education curriculum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Have you tried applying to the civil service?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

I want to teach art - thats what im trained to do, I also need to be able to financially support myself, job security is a necessity. Ideally id teach special needs as I loved it.

As much as I want to teach, I cant get a job in this area so I need to look at other options.

What potential jobs could I be looking at with an art degree - Museum/Gallery work - cant get a job in this area either.

So I started looking at roles related to my experience - Sna/childcare - Again this option isnt feasible and leaves me back at square one - Insecure employment and open to being messed around by schools.

Desperation for a job - any job meant I applied to cafe's, shops, office work etc - we all need to work and earn a living, even if that means moving away from what im trained in.

This didnt work out, it seems like my level of education or area of study is off putting for employers.

So I started looking at other options, what am I interested in, something I would be good at - Beauty therapy, would it get me a job? I dont know, so might not be worth pursuing.

I would want to go back to college if it opened up opportunities for me. I dont want to make an expensive mistake and finish the course to be in the same position.

No 1 thing to decide is are you tied to living in a particular area ?
    That will determine everything else.

If you are not it's much easier. . .the world is your oyster, and you can go to wherever your interests are in demand and further opportunities / training / experience is available.

If you are tied to staying locally, you'll have to cut your cloth to suit the employment available nearhand, and then work out what you need to get a job nearby, and then work towards that, even if it takes a few years. Don't worry about a "career" but rather a locally available job you'd be happy doing for a few years, and then you can always get another one or see where it goes.

Art teachers are employed in special needs schools, post primary schools, employed by ETB's payed 45 euro an hour working 22hours a week in adult education centers, prisons, special needs facilities, mental health facilities, colleges, adult education, Further ed settings, Youthreach among many other placements. It's a taught subject like any other on the education curriculum.

OK.

So what are you doing wrong?

Why can't you get one of these jobs?

I'm not giving out, just curious what the current barrier is.

Augeo wrote: »
    Professional cert in financial advice.
    Multiple choice exams.... Two modules and you get the certificate. Do 6 and it's a professional diploma, qualified financial advisor.

Just a suggestion....but it's a route to getting an actual real job without too much effort.
    https://www.lia.ie/courses/professional-certificate-in-financial-advice

Just illustrates what a scam that job is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,847 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Write yourself a dumbed-down CV to use for admin and retail work. Say you went to college - but not what you did. Use small words. Describe your duties in simple terms. Make yourself look like the person they want to hire.

To find teaching jobs - you need to be networking, not just submitting applications. What are you doing on this front?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Write yourself a dumbed-down CV to use for admin and retail work. Say you went to college - but not what you did. Use small words. Describe your duties in simple terms. Make yourself look like the person they want to hire.

You’re joking, yea?

To find teaching jobs - you need to be networking, not just submitting applications. What are you doing on this front?

Networking? My god that sounds like an awful nepotistic career choice.

• Advertisement

Networking? My god that sounds like an awful nepotistic career choice.

I agree with Mrs OBumble.

You have to make your jobs / promotions happen.

Waiting for them to be handed to you is a high risk strategy.

If the OP could somehow become "friends" with the head of art in a special needs school, it'd only be a matter of time before she could get a job there.

Isn't a scam. How well and how ethical someone decides to do that job isn't related to the training.

Nobelium wrote: »
    Isn't a scam. How well and how ethical someone decides to do that job isn't related to the training.

True true.

I agree with Mrs OBumble.

You have to make your jobs / promotions happen.

Waiting for them to be handed to you is a high risk strategy.

If the OP could somehow become "friends" with the head of art in a special needs school, it'd only be a matter of time before she could get a job there.

Jobs for the girls. Make sure you brown nose your way into teaching. It'll set you up for a life in politics.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Theres no 'head of art' in any school, just like theres no head of English, or head of Maths or History. Teachers are employed by a panel of people from the ETB and includes the Principal of the school or Coordinator of the education center.
    Unfortunately in teaching, its all about who you know, being related to or friends with the Principal is a sure way of getting a teaching job. Ive no doubt this is a contributory factor to the current teaching crisis. What im finding is, in my own experience this is common across the board, no matter the sector, nepotism is the only way to get a foot in most places.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Theres no 'head of art' in any school, just like theres no head of English, or head of Maths or History. Teachers are employed by a panel of people from the ETB and includes the Principal of the school or Coordinator of the education center.
    Unfortunately in teaching, its all about who you know, being related to or friends with the Principal is a sure way of getting a teaching job. Ive no doubt this is a contributory factor to the current teaching crisis. What im finding is, in my own experience this is common across the board, no matter the sector, nepotism is the only way to get a foot in most places.

So go find something else to do. Search for recruitment agencies in your area and ask them for advice.

So go find something else to do. Search for recruitment agencies in your area and ask them for advice.

This is the point of the current thread - changing career. I am trying to find something else to do.

I have had a meeting with a local guidance counselor but found her useless, I explained how I needed a job - any job, any wanted information on how I could transfer my skills into another environment and what would be my best move, in terms of job security and finding something I would be even semi suited to - ie, nothing involving maths and something people orientated.
    She was fixated on the art degree and sent me emails for short term - non paid or little paid artistic projects. Its frustrating, its like my degrees are holding me back, no body can see past them.

I will make an appointment with a local requirement agency, thank you.

This is the point of the current thread - changing career. I am trying to find something else to do.

I have had a meeting with a local guidance counselor but found her useless, I explained how I needed a job - any job, any wanted information on how I could transfer my skills into another environment and what would be my best move, in terms of job security and finding something I would be even semi suited to - ie, nothing involving maths and something people orientated.
    She was fixated on the art degree and sent me emails for short term - non paid or little paid artistic projects. Its frustrating, its like my degrees are holding me back, no body can see past them.

I will make an appointment with a local requirement agency, thank you.

No harm to them, but If a career guidance Councillor was good at finding jobs they wouldn't be one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Bite the bullet and go abroad is my advice. Loads of jobs in UK, Middle East, South East Asia etc. Recruitment system for teachers is a mess here. Am a post primary sub and totally get what you are saying, If you don’t have ties and still want to teach why stay here ? Abroad you’ll have a proper job, job security, paid holidays, regular money etc. When settled you could even consider adding another teaching subject. Loads of agencies and schools looking for teachers you’ll be snapped up. Much better than being in situation you are now currently in as you are in no mans land and just can’t move forward with your life.

• Advertisement

Indeed, most if them are essentially desk based sales reps. Decent cash though all considered.

Advertisement