Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The PGA Championship Official Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,786 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

John Rahm 5 over through 8 today and the end of his challenge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The density of rough is making this a bit of a borefest. Three feet off the fairway - no shot and they're hacking a wedge out. The rough should be penal, but this is a bit much.

The motto of the further you are off line with your tee shots, the more penal the rough gets is clearly not in play here. Have to concur with you ronnie3585 that this set-up at Bethpage Black this week, is turning me off this tournament too.

Surprising this as usually the PGA of America, who run the US PGA, have in the past been good and very fair with the set-ups of these golf courses. They are trying to be like the USGA this week, who run the US Open, the worst major of the four and one of the worst run tournaments in the game of golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,820 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I disagree about it being boring. Hit the fairway and you have green lights as it should be. There is a small second cut so if you just miss the fairway it's not a huge penalty.
    If somebody hits a wild shot it sometimes can't be compensated for and you'll end up being in better shape than you deserve but it's not like most courses where you can end up on another fairway.
    I think the cut will go to +5 with the way the course is playing today.

Harrington having a mare

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Seems like there's an ad break every 5 minutes on this 'featured group' thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

eagle eye wrote: »
    I disagree about it being boring. Hit the fairway and you have green lights as it should be. There is a small second cut so if you just miss the fairway it's not a huge penalty.
    If somebody hits a wild shot it sometimes can't be compensated for and you'll end up being in better shape than you deserve but it's not like most courses where you can end up on another fairway.
    I think the cut will go to +5 with the way the course is playing today.

When I watch golf on TV I want to watch the pros regularly make birdies and eagles. I don't want to watch: drive - hack out - bogey, drive - hack out - bogey, drive - hack out - bogey, as I've watched Jason Day do all afternoon. Lord knows I see enough of that when I play!

The majors are by their nature, the blue ribbon events and the courses should be set up to show off and promote what is sport that is waning in popularity. I'm all for courses being difficult, they should - these are the best golfers in the world after all. But I think the set up of the rough in Bethpage Black is far too penal.

ronnie3585 wrote:
    The majors are by their nature, the blue ribbon events and the courses should be set up to show off and promote what is sport that is waning in popularity. I'm all for courses being difficult, they should - these are the best golfers in the world after all. But I think the set up of the rough in Bethpage Black is far too penal.

When I watch golf on TV I want to watch the pros regularly make birdies and eagles. I don't want to watch: drive - hack out - bogey, drive - hack out - bogey, drive - hack out - bogey, as I've watched Jason Day do all afternoon. Lord knows I see enough of that when I play!
    Majors are supposed to be tough. If you think this is difficult, and it is, just wait until you see Pebble Beach.
    This course is always tough, it's a legendary course. The pros will say it's tough but fair, in other words keep it on the fairway and you'll get rewarded.
    If you want to see loads then don't watch majors, just watch the likes of the Puerto Rico Open and keep an eye out for rain which allows them to stop the ball besides the pin. Majors are about making it so the cream rises to the top as it is right now with Koepka leading and DJ second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Koepka shoots under par today and the tournament is as good as over imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

NDWC wrote:
    Koepka shoots under par today and the tournament is as good as over imo

And this is the only reason this tournament might seem boring. I don't mind a low scoring major but when 1 player (who's not a fan favourite) looks like he could put it to bed by Friday it takes the fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i always find it boring when one guy runs away with a tournament always has been whoever that is Tiger,rory etc who have done it. You admire the golf there playing but doesnt add up to a great watch

• Advertisement

Three lads all holing longish putts on the fourth:)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭paulos53

Beemer is some man to still be able to compete at this level.

Some finish to his round. 5 birdies in the last 6 holes.

paulos53 wrote: »

Thats brilliant a crazy few holes of golf from him

paulos53 wrote: »

Should be close to making the cut.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Should be close to making the cut.
    +4 will definitely make it. I think it'll go to +5.

Spieth for the grand slam!!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Some last 9 by McIlroy. Up to plus 3 now. Par the last and guaranteed to make the cut.

What the hell has Beemer been doing for the last few years, he's still well able to compete, maybe he just didn't enjoy it anymore?

Obviously class is permanent, what a legend

The lads at sky will be hoping Jazz Janewattananond isn't up there over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Gonna need a sniper to stop Brooks

What a start for Koepka, phenomenal drive and stitches the second for an easy birdie. Already threatening to be as good as yesterday.

I wonder if Jazz Janewattananond refers to his putting style as "jazz hands"? I certainly hope so

Just stop it brooks, you will ruin my weekend plans

I didn't think it was possible that a player could get to double figures under par on this course over the four days. Brooks is one away from that after 20 holes.
    He is just an awful incredible golfer, he looks like getting to four majors this weekend and he is still not fully respected for how good he is.

NDWC wrote: »
    The lads at sky will be hoping Jazz Janewattananond isn't up there over the weekend

Not half as much as the guy who has to carve the winner's name on the trophy:eek: And Xander Schauffele thought he was unpopular with those lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

NDWC wrote: »
    I wonder if Jazz Janewattananond refers to his putting style as "jazz hands"? I certainly hope so

Sky will be calling him Double J

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

If Koepka keeps up this birdie rate he'll be out of sight before the weekend starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

seligehgit wrote: »
    If Koepka keeps up this birdie rate he'll be out of sight before the weekend starts.

He's five clear now. 12 pars and 10 birdies on that course, just insane golf. The man is a major machine.

Just sorry I didn't have a bet on him. I had him picked before the tournament started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭PhuckHugh22

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pretty pathetic if the gallery are cheering missed putts by Koepka.:rolleyes:

Welcome to NY the fans there are nuts.

Advertisement