Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topper

Options
  • 15-05-2019 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭

Going to trade in my topper. It's an Abbey 9ft trailed I think. I should know.. Going OK. But would need money spent on it. Not getting a mower. What toppers are good and what price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Joe390

Major have good toppers . They manufactur alot of stuff so they know what there at . Good strong products

• Registered Users Posts: 29,095 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is there belts on major toppers?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Farney Farmer

Why not a mower. Just out of curiosity?

Why not a mower. Just out of curiosity?

A good few rocks in ground. Topper gives me a bit more leeway in rough ground

whelan2 wrote: »

Think there mostly gearboxes with no belts . Nothe sure though . Give them a ring and they'll sort you out . What part of country are you in?

• Advertisement

Joe390 wrote: »
    Think there mostly gearboxes with no belts . Nothe sure though . Give them a ring and they'll sort you out . What part of country are you in?

Louth

Louth

Orite major are in mayo but they have alot of stock in different agri shops and the likes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭hopeso

I don't think any toppers use belts now....All gearbox driven, as far as I know..
    Are you going trailed again?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Joe390 wrote: »
    Orite major are in mayo but they have alot of stock in different agri shops and the likes .

Wylie engineering are selling down here in cork and seem to be well made. Toppers as whole are a very simple machine.

With each manufacturer using the same components such as comer gearboxes and couplings usually the main difference being the colour.You have a good selection to choose from abbey,major,Wylie, Fleming,lsm, conor and belmac.

hopeso wrote: »
    I don't think any toppers use belts now....All gearbox driven, as far as I know..
    Are you going trailed again?

Ye will probably go trailed. Had a few ruscon ones before the Abbey one. They had belts.

• Advertisement

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Wylie engineering are selling down here in cork and seem to be well made. Toppers as whole are a very simple machine.

With each manufacturer using the same components such as comer gearboxes and couplings usually the main difference being the colour.You have a good selection to choose from abbey,major,Wylie, Fleming,lsm, conor and belmac.

I’d agree about them all using the same components, but some will be better built than others. This will probably be reflected in the price..... Galvanizing is starting to feature on toppers lately now too, but, will come at a price.....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TPF2012

We have a major topper, great machine, can take some abuse, rough land. Any ideas on a good topper that would be fairly light. The major is a bit heavy for our 135, which is handy with the double wheels to get at soft ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Mr..

major seem a good topper, parts of the machine are galvanised now, blades are dear though, they will deal directly too

Oh rang 5 places this morning and no calls back yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Have had 2 majors here over the last 15yrs, both have rotted totally before any mechanical issues, and I certainly wouldn't be easy on them (use them as a land leveller often ha). I priced up a new 9ft trailed major a month back, something like 7k!, absolutely nuts price considering you 1could get a mower for that. I've yet to come across a 2nd hand topper in my brief looking that Id be happy would be a reasonable upgrade on myown old yoke (I'm especially not gonna shell out 3k for one), so will see now how much the local engineering workshop will charge me to fix up the bed, if it's anything under 1000e I'll prb go with that and get another 3/4yrs outa it.

Fleming 9ft topper €6750 Inc vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Had a Major side mounted. Think she was 8 foot. Excellent machine, took some amount of abuse and only broke shear bolts.

Have a 9ft trailed Abbey now and it’s soft in comparison, gearbox/donuts etc.

TPF2012 wrote: »
    We have a major topper, great machine, can take some abuse, rough land. Any ideas on a good topper that would be fairly light. The major is a bit heavy for our 135, which is handy with the double wheels to get at soft ground.

What type of topper have you? If it's on a 135, I assume it's one of the 6' semi offset?
    While there may be some difference in weights between makes, I don't know if there'd be a whole lot. Most manufacturers have a website, with details of their toppers. The weight of the machine is usually listed...

Keep us updated..... I'd imagine that price will be at the lower end of the spectrum, but it will be interesting to see.....

hopeso wrote: »
    Keep us updated..... I'd imagine that price will be at the lower end of the spectrum, but it will be interesting to see.....

They won't take a trade in.

• Advertisement

They won't take a trade in.

Sure that's what DoneDeal is for...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I've a 9ft Major Trailed.

Cost 5k new 4 years ago.

Serious machine, does exactly what I wanted and quickly. Still like new but I look after it, keep it indoors, clean etc.

One fault I'd have is that the tires could be wider.

Having said that if I was to buy again I'd consider going with a 8ft/9ft disc mower and 4 skids. Reason being I think you get a cleaner cut with a disc mower and thus quicker regrowth.

Would have to look into this further before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Is this the floating topper, towed on the links rather like a silage mower?

Have a Conor 8ft trailed here, tough machine, especially on bumpy ground. Conor don't make them any more though, too much competition from others I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

riemann wrote: »
    I've a 9ft Major Trailed.

Cost 5k new 4 years ago.

Serious machine, does exactly what I wanted and quickly. Still like new but I look after it, keep it indoors, clean etc.

One fault I'd have is that the tires could be wider.

Having said that if I was to buy again I'd consider going with a 8ft/9ft disc mower and 4 skids. Reason being I think you get a cleaner cut with a disc mower and thus quicker regrowth.

Would have to look into this further before making any decisions.

Have a major 8ft myself and zero issues. However if i was to upgrade I'd buy a disc mower as u say far better cut and u have the option of a mower.

kk.man wrote: »
    Have a major 8ft myself and zero issues. However if i was to upgrade I'd buy a disc mower as u say far better cut and u have the option of a mower.

Just wondering in drought conditions would the regrowth be better after the topper as you're not cutting as low?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭kk.man

Just wondering in drought conditions would the regrowth be better after the topper as you're not cutting as low?

I find it drags weeds, nettles etc which is not good but the major topper is the best on the market imo. The mower would give a clean and more uniform cut and how often do we have a drought.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Have a fleming 9ft mounted topper here.
    It's the HD version with galvanised skids, HD gearbox. bought it for 3200 4 years ago. Major were an extra thousand for the HD version.
    Don't go side mounted /offset. Had one here and the frame went in a mess after a while. As well as that for road work its mad bouncy and fierce hard on springs. I know some fellas don't like the topper straight behind you but If you're worried about stones you reversed.

You'll never get a good second hand topper. It's as well bite the bullet and buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Downtown123

Have a fleming 9ft mounted topper here.
    It's the HD version with galvanised skids, HD gearbox. bought it for 3200 4 years ago. Major were an extra thousand for the HD version.
    Don't go side mounted /offset. Had one here and the frame went in a mess after a while. As well as that for road work its mad bouncy and fierce hard on springs. I know some fellas don't like the topper straight behind you but If you're worried about stones you reversed.

You'll never get a good second hand topper. It's as well bite the bullet and buy new.

This is what we have
    https://www.fleming-agri.co.uk/products/agriculture/in-line-grass-toppers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

Have eight ft Fleming superfloat. Mounted and folds in behind tractor. It's grand but I'd prefer a mower. Replaced the two gearboxs after hitting uneven grand. The topper leaves a mat of grass on the paddocks which I don't like. With rough ground you can just lift up the mower.
    New Fleming wouldn't be big money, I forget what was paid for it.

Advertisement