Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McIlroy for 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Brilliant news! He's the best player we've ever produced and he deserves to wear the green at the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

As they say in AH.......

"Gets Popcorn Out!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Plenty of time for Rory to change his mind again about playing in Tokyo due to fears about the Japanese equivalent of the zika virus.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Brilliant news! He's the best player we've ever produced and he deserves to wear the green at the Olympics.

He's a great player... No doubt. But green isn't his colour. If he can't player for Northern Ireland should he deprive an Irish man from representing the country?

I think we should send an Irish man regardless of rankings.

Anyone who feels more British than Irish should not put their name in the hat to represent us at Olympic level.

Plenty of time for Rory to change his mind again about playing in Tokyo due to fears about the Japanese equivalent of the zika virus.:rolleyes:

Let's hope so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Hopefully this means we can put the most contentious issue on boards to rest!

He's a great player... No doubt. But green isn't his colour. If he can't player for Northern Ireland should he deprive an Irish man from representing the country?

I think we should send an Irish man regardless of rankings.

Anyone who feels more British than Irish should not put their name in the hat to represent us at Olympic level.

He is Irish! As he says himself, the Irish rugby team plays as one, the cricket team, the hockey team, athetics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,651 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

He has played for Ireland more times than you I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He should be told where to go.... Shane Lowry any day over this guy who can't decide what nationality he is!

'I'm excited to play for Ireland' - Rory McIlroy set for Olympics U-turn ahead of Tokyo 2020

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/im-excited-to-play-for-ireland-rory-mcilroy-set-for-olympics-uturn-ahead-of-tokyo-2020-38111462.html
    The same Shane Lowry who pulled out of the team in Rio?

• Advertisement

He is Irish! As he says himself, the Irish rugby team plays as one, the cricket team, the hockey team, athetics etc.

He also has stated " I have always felt more British than Irish".

He plays under the Northern Ireland Flag...not the Irish one.

Yes that's the one. The IRISH guy!!

He also has stated " I have always felt more British than Irish".

He plays under the Northern Ireland Flag...not the Irish one.

He's played under the Irish flag for many years. He was born in Ireland so there's no issue here. Hopefully he can win us a gold medal!

eagle eye wrote: »

Correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes that's the one. The IRISH guy!!

Who pulled out of the IRISH team :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    Who pulled out of the IRISH team :rolleyes:

Ya. He did get married and have a kid since the whole zika virus Olympics.....But he is Irish as opposed to being confused like Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Why does he 'deserve' to wear the green?
    When he won at Sawgrass on St Patrick's day he wore no green at all even though approx 25% of fans were adorned with green. At the presentation the guy presenting the trophy referenced St Patrick's day twice, but McIlroy never acknowledged the day that it was in his speech. It was the Ulster flag that was raised not the tricolour.
    I was there and saw this.
    He most certainly does not "deserve" to wear the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Poor chap doesnt know whether he's coming or going... Hell be in dress next year transitioning, looking to play on the LPGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

eagle eye wrote:

That's a purile argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,644 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Zico fly is now quite common in Japan.
    Feck off Rory, you had your chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

A few of the Northern players represent the UK at hockey in the Olympics.

The athletic team was traditionally the UK team for those from the six, it has changed to some extent with some athletes declaring for or Ireland and some for the UK.

TCM wrote: »
    Why does he 'deserve' to wear the green?
    When he won at Sawgrass on St Patrick's day he wore no green at all even though approx 25% of fans were adorned with green. At the presentation the guy presenting the trophy referenced St Patrick's day twice, but McIlroy never acknowledged the day that it was in his speech. It was the Ulster flag that was raised not the tricolour.
    I was there and saw this.
    He most certainly does not "deserve" to wear the green.

Because he's our best player, it's pretty simple.
    Why does he have to talk about St Patrick's Day? That's ridiculous. Not all Irish people have the exact same customs as you, that doesn't make them any less Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Jack Grealish plays a mean game of golf I hear...

A few of the Northern players represent the UK at hockey in the Olympics.

The athletic team was traditionally the UK team for those from the six, it has changed to some extent with some athletes declaring for or Ireland and some for the UK.

Yes so they can declare for either and Rory is declaring for Ireland. What's the issue?

brianblaze wrote: »
    Jack Grealish plays a mean game of golf I hear...

Why are you talking about a soccer player from England?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

Why are you talking about a soccer player from England?

Because I like making bad jokes?

He shouldn't play in the Olympics....if he can't play for Northern Ireland which would be his choose than he shouldn't opt for Ireland as a second best option.....He's depriving an Irish man the opportunity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

tenor.gif?itemid=3579864

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Yes so they can declare for either and Rory is declaring for Ireland. What's the issue?

You said that the Irish athletics team and the hockey team "plays as one" that is not the case. As I pointed our some play for the UK so the issue is that you are wrong on that count, I was just pointing out your inaccuracies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,215 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He shouldn't play in the Olympics....if he can't play for Northern Ireland which would be his choose than he shouldn't opt for Ireland as a second best option.....He's depriving an Irish man the opportunity.
    He is an Irish man. How can you be so confused about something so simple? Were you too young to vote when we decided all this? Again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement