Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Options

Comments

The rest of your points such as they are, are petulant. No interest in reading your ‘hundreds of other reasons’

Wtf. It's not petulant to have critical thoughts about something. Everything he posted I immediately noticed during the show and it broke any sense of immersion. I shouldn't be watching a show constantly being jarred out of it.

A simple example was the wall at King's Landing. That literally cannot and does not exist like that. We've seen King's Landing a million times and know the geography is not some sort of empty desert outside the walls.

screen_shot_2019-05-07_at_10.21.17_am.png

15c0cd8560de68ef949056420c5aa981.jpg

kings-landing-2-1024x596.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Haha yeah I was supposed to say they kinda forgot where Kings Landing was.

The circumstances around those ballistas taking out the dragon from literal miles away was an absolute joke too. 'unsuspecting'? They are in the air and a fleet is hiding behind a rock. Dany also doesn't burn them there after Rhaegal dies because of reasons unknown. The whole thing is a joke. Varys goes from loyal subject to treasonous in one episode. Motivations change to suit logistics rather than the narrative.

My petulance knows no bounds, the above defences are bizarre.

Winter is coming only ever meant war is coming. Be prepared.
    It didn’t and never meant oh sh!t here comes snow what’ll we do?? Which is the way you and many seek to interpret it. Incorrectly. Snowflakes coming to get us Oh noes!
    Jaysis
    And I’m somehow right cos some YouTube videos make my point for me that I’m unable to articulate
    The rest of your points such as they are, are petulant. No interest in reading your ‘hundreds of other reasons’
    No, they made a big point that winter had come, but I guess they kinda forgot about that. Same way they kinda forgot Winterfell was on a fúcking hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

screen_shot_2019-05-07_at_10.21.17_am.png

15c0cd8560de68ef949056420c5aa981.jpg

kings-landing-2-1024x596.jpeg

Well, that's certainly a continuity flaw there. You'll get little argument from most people on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tony EH wrote: »
    Maybe not all the Dothraki charged and not all them died.
    I think this is an example of how people are looking to justify flaws in the show.

We saw the Dothraki all lined up in front of Winterfell, and we saw them ride out with their flaming swords, and we saw every single one extinguished in battle, with maybe a dozen stragglers returning.

Nowhere in the episode was it mentioned that this wasn't all the Dothraki. Nowhere in the previous episode, when battle plans were being drawn up, was it mentioned that it wasn't all the Dothraki. But yet, in the next episode, they mention a big chunk of remaining Dothraki.

A huge number of people reacted by saying 'Hold on a second, they all died in the previous episode.' I don't believe that this apparent flaw never occured to the writers...I just think they had stopped caring about having it all make as much sense as it used to.

There was a lot more 'Maybe X' to try and explain things than there had been in the earlier days of the show.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Nowhere in the episode was it mentioned that this wasn't all the Dothraki.

And nowhere is it mentioned that it is either.

We don't know what percentage of forces have been committed. We don't know what's in reserve either.

If something like that ISN'T expressed, then it will naturally leave it open for interpretation.

A bigger sin in that scene was the head on charge by what was essentially light cavalry. Something that in real life, wouldn't have been used so early in a pitched battle, and would have been committed to the flanks.

But, battle tactics have never been a particularly strong point of the show long before S8. Nor is it ever that strong in fantasy fiction in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You really think anyone is going to watch your YouTube clips? Are you incapable of making your own point yourself?,
    You couldn’t even present the points of the bull**** videos you posted ?
    Really?
    Mpretty sure it’s against forum standard but let’s see

Beginning to see why yourself and Tony can't find any evidence why it was so bad.

Watch the middle video. It's 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Well, that's certainly a continuity flaw there. You'll get little argument from most people on that.

A continuity flaw?
    Lol.

Tbh, something like that sums up why the last two seasons were garbage. They just absolutely couldn't be arsed adhering to the universe they actually created. You don't just forget that king's landing is nowhere near a desert. You decide that you want a big battle outside it's walls and that you couldn't be arsed with the logistical nightmare of creating one in the landscape that actually exists there so you just change it. Just like they decided they wanted the NK to break through the wall with a dragon so you just make Jon Snow go north of the wall for the most incomprehensible reason when his established character would never dream of doing such a foolish thing. In other words you just change him. Or you want to Dany to torch a load of innocent people so you just click your fingers and change her from someone who always defended the weak to someone who just says "Ah ****, imma gonna roast alive thousands of innocent people."
    And they're just the obvious examples. See also my post on this thread on the neutering of John Snow.

All of these are massive acts of disrespect to the universe that had been painstakingly and patiently built over a decade. And even if viewers can't articulate it, they feel it and at the very least it leaves them feeling less invested because they recognise that the universe has been undermined.

Tbh, it's one of the greatest acts of cultural sabotage that I can think of. That's nice that you liked it but I can only assume you were never actually invested in the show and just enjoyed the bits of action.

Wights being able to break through stone after they stored one in a light box in the previous season. Wights with this power not being able to kill people in a 500 on 1 situation like in the Winterfell courtyard.

Mousewar wrote: »
    A continuity flaw?
    Lol.

LOLOLOOOL

giphy.gif

Yes. A continuity flaw. Get over it.

If it wrecks it for you, I don't care. ;)
    Tbh, it's one of the greatest acts of cultural sabotage that I can think of.

Oh for fuck sake. It's bleedin television show.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement

LOLOLOOOL

giphy.gif

Yes. A continuity flaw. Get over it.

If it wrecks it for you, I don't care. ;)

Oh for fuck sake. It's bleedin television show.

Jesus wept.

A continuity flaw is when a newspaper gets moved between scenes and some eagle eyes viewer spots it. It's inconsequential. Deliberately deciding to restructure the physical landscape of the land just so you can have a clear view of a battle is lazy and disrespectful sabotage.

And it doesn't matter what medium a piece of culture is presented on. You wouldn't say the Mona Lisa is just a bleeding painting or Sgt Pepper is just an album. TV and film are the leading media of our day and through which a great deal of our art and culture gets broadcast. GoT had the potential to be a part of our cultural legacy - it was that good up to a point but they pissed all over it in the end. I'm upset the same way if be if Paul McCartney had started rapping at the end of Sgt Pepper.

It's inconsequential.

Not all continuity flaws are "inconsequential".

Again, if this scuppers the show for you. That's just tough. But you'll get over it don't worry. It's just a TV show.

In addition, It's not a "desert". It's scrub.

0.jpg

Maybe Sersei had all the trees removed. :pac:

If it's just a TV show, why do you seem to care so much?

Also interesting how you only focused on the two parts of my post you saw as easy hits instead of all the other stuff. You said earlier you're yet to read any arguments as to why the last two seasons were considered rubbish. Yet plenty of such arguments have been presented in this thread. It's apparent that you're either incapable or unwilling to read them.

If it's just a TV show, why do you seem to care so much?

It's a TV show I liked. That's all and I checked out a post Boards that asked "Honestly, what do you think about Season 8?"

It's nothing to do with "caring".

But I'm not going to lose my shit over it, if it has a few flaws here and there.
    Also interesting how you only focused on the two parts of my post you saw as easy hits instead of all the other stuff. You said earlier you're yet to read any arguments as to why the last two seasons were considered rubbish. Yet plenty of such arguments have been presented in this thread. It's apparent that you're either incapable or unwilling to read them.

Any accusations of "it's crap" that I've seen on the web haven't been backed up by any solid argument. Certainly nothing that can't be countered. For instance, the Dany thing you mentioned, which I've already addressed. If you couldn't see the possibility of Daenerys going crazy in her singular pursuit of power and placing her arse on the Iron Throne then, frankly, you weren't paying attention.

You don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to.

Any accusations of "it's crap" that I've seen on the web haven't been backed up by any solid argument. Certainly nothing that can't be countered.

Fine, let's do that.

#1: Bronn walks into a room in Winterfell with a crossbow and threatens the lives of Tyrion and Jaime unless he gets Highgarden. Bran Stark as King just gives it to him I guess and also makes him Master of Coin.

Counter that absolute joke of a plot.

It's a TV show I liked. That's all and I checked out a post Boards that asked "Honestly, what do you think about Season 8?"

It's nothing to do with "caring".

But I'm not going to lose my shit over it, if it has a few flaws here and there.

Any accusations of "it's crap" that I've seen on the web haven't been backed up by any solid argument. Certainly nothing that can't be countered. For instance, the Dany thing you mentioned, which I've already addressed. If you couldn't see the possibility of Daenerys going crazy in her singular pursuit of power and placing her arse on the Iron Throne then, frankly, you weren't paying attention.

You don't like it, that's fine. You don't have to.

I made plenty above and you and your lackies didn't respond to anything I said. Nothing in the entire thing made any sense. What was the point of the Night King? What was the point of Aegon Targaryen? What was the payoff to the religion storylines littered through earlier seasons? Why did Varys turn on Dany after she'd literally just saved the world? Why couldn't Tyrion, Jaime, Jon, Brienne, Vale Knights, Dothraki, Unsullied come up with a coherent battle plan? Why didn't any of the main characters die in said battle? Why is it suddenly accepted that Sansa can rule the north without a male lord?

There was just so much bull**** and that is without getting into the logistics of travel and 'kinda forgetting' things.

You haven't come up with one thing that actually redeems the season and are either trolling or just being ignorant to the points laid in front of you.

Fine, let's do that.

#1: Bronn walks into a room in Winterfell with a crossbow and threatens the lives of Tyrion and Jaime unless he gets Highgarden. Bran Stark as King just gives it to him I guess and also makes him Master of Coin.

Counter that absolute joke of a plot.

Granted, it's a bit silly and Bronn had declared a certain allegiance to Cersei too. But he's a mercenary, so he'll go where he's paid and he's a good man to have on your side.

But, what's killing him going to do at that point? Or even just denying him Highgarden? Is it not better to have him on side in the new regime?

Again though, if things like that are going to kill the show for you, then it's just tough. It's dead for you.

Something like that is just not a show killer for me. It's the very definition of a tertiary concern.

Liam O wrote: »
    I made plenty above and you and your lackies didn't respond to anything I said.

No you haven't. You made a few trite comments that were easily dismissed.
    You haven't come up with one thing that actually redeems the season

I'm not trying to "redeem" the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    While feelings are high atm do remain civil and don't attack the poster. This is approaching the siege of Winterfell episode in emotions and I don't want to have to lock the thread.

Granted, it's a bit silly and Bronn had declared a certain allegiance to Cersei too. But he's a mercenary, so he'll go where he's paid and he's a good man to have on your side.

But, what's killing him going to do at that point? Or even just denying him Highgarden? Is it not better to have him on side in the new regime?

Again though, if things like that are going to kill the show for you, then it's just tough. It's dead for you.

Something like that is just not a show killer for me. It's the very definition of a tertiary concern.

A tertiary concern.. :rolleyes: It's the ending of the show and it doesn't make sense.

#2: The Red Keep getting destroyed but a few months later, they're having a meeting in the same chamber. And the building collapsing on Jaime and Cersei but Tyrion finds them with a few bricks lying around meaning they would have survived if they had stood a couple of metres away.

#3: The lords of the South accepting a Northerner they don't know as their king. Sansa somehow getting the North without Yara Greyjoy attempting the same for the Iron Islands, which was her deal with Cersei I believe. Everyone agreeing to a line of succession rule that will guarantee wars every single time. All this orchestrated by a prisoner.

• Advertisement

No you haven't. You made a few trite comments that were easily dismissed.

I'm not trying to "redeem" the season.

You didn't respond to any of the questions I raised and instead cut them out of the quote. Good stuff.

A tertiary concern.. :rolleyes: It's the ending of the show and it doesn't make sense.

Having him on side does make sense. What would the alternative achieve at that point?
    #2: The Red Keep getting destroyed but a few months later, they're having a meeting in the same chamber. And the building collapsing on Jaime and Cersei but Tyrion finds them with a few bricks lying around meaning they would have survived if they had stood a couple of metres away.

I don't remember the Red Keep getting "destroyed" before S8.

The other sentence is just silly nitpicking.
    #3: The lords of the South accepting a Northerner they don't know as their king. Sansa somehow getting the North without Yara Greyjoy attempting the same for the Iron Islands, which was her deal with Cersei I believe. Everyone agreeing to a line of succession rule that will guarantee wars every single time. All this orchestrated by a prisoner.

This is just more nitpicking.

Again, I say to you, if this is the stuff that's going to kill the show for you, then it's done. You'll have to just move on.

You didn't respond to any of the questions I raised and instead cut them out of the quote. Good stuff.

Your questions are silly and they're not an argument as to why GoT is "crap".

What was the point of this, what was the point of that. Try to answer them yourself. I'm not here to answer ever single nitpick that some pissed off viewer has about a show that broke their heart.

I mean, seriously, "what was the point of the Night King". What do you think the point was?

Even the way he just appeared though was nonsense. We didn't see him having to sneak furtively past sentries on war alert. It was like he had been there all along.

My biggest issue with GOT Season 8 was that they effectively shortened it to get it wrapped up.
    It's like watching the Sunday Game extended highlights when to get a true picture you need to see the whole game.

Even the way he just appeared though was nonsense. We didn't see him having to sneak furtively past sentries on war alert. It was like he had been there all along.

You don't have to see everything in a TV show. In fact, it would impossible to show everything in a TV show.

Really, these complaints are ridiculous.
    My biggest issue with GOT Season 8 was that they effectively shortened it to get it wrapped up.

It has roughly the same running time as other series in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's like watching the Sunday Game extended highlights when to get a true picture you need to see the whole game.

This.
    Instead of filming the story from the book, they filmed the synopsis at the end. You get the jist of it, but miss so much.

Six of the seven kingdoms gave the position of king to someone from the departing seventh kingdom. A Stark king in KL and a Stark queen in the North. In a show called "Game of Thrones", that is not nitpicking.

#4: Jon, the last main character alive I guess, agrees to go North because of Grey Worm. Grey Worm and that army immediately leaves for Naath where they will all be killed by butterflies. Jon travels through his brother's Kingdom and into his sister's, and actually goes North, for absolutely no reason.

You don't have to see everything in a TV show. In fact, it would impossible to show everything in a TV show.

What people are looking for is the same level of consistency as we saw in earlier seasons. The storyline depth was severly curtailed here.
    Really, these complaints are ridiculous.

Hmm, just saying 'complaints are ridiculous' does not make it so. Particularly when your argument is pretty much limited to that statement.
    It has roughly the same running time as other series in the show.

It had the same running time, but way more squashed in in terms of key events.
    The build up and actual battle with the night king could have been a season all on it's own, the entire aftermath, Danaerys about turn and the final sorting out could have also occupied a season without being excessively stretched.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

He’s been in both Jaimie and Tyrion’s company countless times. The guard would know him.

Would have thought that was obvious.

• Advertisement

Six of the seven kingdoms gave the position of king to someone from the departing seventh kingdom. A Stark king in KL and a Stark queen in the North. In a show called "Game of Thrones", that is not nitpicking.

So what? The previous time has passed and has the way of doing things. Westeros is in a different state now after a war. As we leave the show, they're trying to get things back together. It doesn't mean that things will stay like that.

We won't know though as we won't see any more of it.
    #4: Jon, the last main character alive I guess, agrees to go North because of Grey Worm. Grey Worm and that army immediately leaves for Naath where they will all be killed by butterflies. Jon travels through his brother's Kingdom and into his sister's, and actually goes North, for absolutely no reason.

Again, so what?

Things don't wrap up neatly in real life either. These complaints just tell me that you're just unhappy because you didn't get the ending you wrote yourself.

Maybe Jon Snow at the end of it all just feels he's better off at the wall.

Again. It doesn't mean he's going to stay there forever. But we'll never know.

Advertisement