Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honestly, what do you think about Season 8? Mod warning post #1/#410

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    Greatest of all time?

not a chance.

Sopranos is the GOAT and it's nowhere near that.

In terms of figures and stats I think GOT broke every record sopranos set.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2019/05/20/game-of-thrones-finale-by-the-numbers-all-the-shows-ratings-records/#2e04b9af5f73

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

beauf wrote: »

it's a different world now, if the Sopranos was released now it would pi$$ all over everything imo

Dunno I liked some of the soprano's but not all of it. I re-watched some it recently and it didn't change my opinion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

B_ecke_r wrote: »

it's a different world now, if the Sopranos was released now it would pi$$ all over everything imo

I tried watching it but it was (a) too dated looking and (b) Im not into mafia stuff.

Most people seem fond of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

....... wrote: »
    I prefer to make up my own mind than take on board the subjective opinions of "youtubers" myself.

These guys make videos for the popular audience, its the lowest form of discernment, most of the content is just them assembling the loudest complaints and putting their own spin on it.

Unfortunately the "interwebs" has allowed those who shout loudest and longest to seem to have the more "correct" opinion which is nonsense.

It reminds me of why television got a bad name to begin with - people would take everything they saw as gospel "because they saw it on the television". A second-wave of this came with the cable news anchor phenomenon in the 1990s, influencing so many people who believed they understood it all because they had someone "break it down" to them, and bringing a kind of cult of personality along with it. I think youtuber e-celebs are a third wave of it.

• Advertisement

Definitely.

The media like newspapers do it more often now. Print/Publish online just made up stuff, and no one challenges them on it.

People are forgetting not to accept things at face value. They just consume.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

beauf wrote: »

Didn't come close to touching the viewing figures of M*A*S*H though (and weirdly enough, nothing is ever likely to).

105.97 million viewers watched the finale of MASH. Yes.

Didn't come close to touching the viewing figures of M*A*S*H though (and weirdly enough, nothing is ever likely to).

105.97 million viewers watched the finale of MASH. Yes.

The Super Bowl beat in it 2010 ;)

Which just goes to show - it doesnt have to have a great story line!

The Game of Thrones series finale is not even in the top 10.

Sorry I tried to embed the image but its not working.

GoT is number 17, behind even MGyver!

....... wrote: »
    The Super Bowl beat in it 2010 ;)

Which just goes to show - it doesnt have to have a great story line!

The Game of Thrones series finale is not even in the top 10.

Sorry I tried to embed the image but its not working.

GoT is number 17, behind even MGyver!

It's the number #1 that people paid for though which is a pretty big deal. When you consider piracy now it could be multiple times that. They're also not counting things like HBO go and repeats. When people have to pay things become different, like how the Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquaio event was the highest PPV event ever with a whopping 4.6 million official viewers (globally, not just the US as these figures are).

Another point is the vast majority of the shows above it are self-contained rather than seralized, like you don't have to have seen every The Big Bang episode to watch the final one. Still interesting though. I'd say modern shows are definitely being drastically affected by delayed watching. In the days of MASH and Magnum PI you had very limited options other than watching it live or the earliest repeat (I think having VHS was a bit of a luxury and if it failed you couldn't get it from another source, it also halved the vertical resolution or something like that).

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

B_ecke_r wrote:

Only in your opinion.

I don't remember many talking about it back in it's prime (vs. The very best series of today)

• Advertisement

no.8 wrote: »
    Only in your opinion.

I don't remember many talking about it back in it's prime (vs. The very best series of today)

I missed it completely, I never even heard of it til around 5 years ago and by the name I thought it was some kind of show about opera singers lol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've seen a lot of complaints about it on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. But personally I don't see anything wrong with Season 8, and feel as if the directors are doing a good job on it. It does feel a small bit rushed but the CGI is amazing.

What do yous think?

Crap

• Registered Users Posts: 18,926 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I've seen a lot of complaints about it on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. But personally I don't see anything wrong with Season 8, and feel as if the directors are doing a good job on it. It does feel a small bit rushed but the CGI is amazing.

What do yous think?

Just finished it and thought it was great. Don't understand all the bollocks talk that's gone on about, it to be honest and it sounds like people whining just for the sake of it, in the main. Went on the web to find out why some people were disappointed and found nothing that stood up as reasonable.

Could there have been slight improvements here and there? Possibly. But everything can be improved.

One of the greatest television shows ever produced.

I've yet to see a cogent argument as to why this series or any of the show was "crap".

Tony EH wrote: »
    Just finished it and thought it was great. Don't understand all the bollocks talk that's gone on about, it to be honest and it sounds like people whining just for the sake of it, in the main. Went on the web to find out why some people were disappointed and found nothing that stood up as reasonable.

Could there have been slight improvements here and there? Possibly. But everything can be improved.

I've yet to see a cogent argument as to why this series or any of the show was "crap".
    There's no accounting for taste. But when literally everyone is saying the exact opposite to you, chances are you're just plain wrong, maybe you didn't understand it properly or are easy to please, didn't spot irregularities, who knows. Saying the entire internet is wrong and are all "whining" just for the sake of it because they have a very different opinion to you is ridiculous.

LOL.

"Entire internet". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Given your vast internet research has failed to provide you with the slightest inkling of why a lot of people felt very differently, and you dismiss any differing opinions as "unreasonable whining", I'm not sure why you expect anyone here to waste their time addressing your question.

Still, I'm willing to give it a go with a detailed response.

It was crap. Dreck. Rubbish. One of the most idiotic ways any show has ever wrapped up. Jon Snow waterskiing over a dragon would have been marginally less inane. Muck. Inconsistent tripe.
    A vomitous, bile-filled, pustulent sore which should be compulsory watching for any aspiring TV writers, who should be a locked in a room and forced to endure it so nobody else ever has to suffer such a wreck of a show again.

It was really, really, bad. I think that about sums it up.

MOH wrote: »
    Given your vast internet research has failed to provide you with the slightest inkling of why a lot of people felt very differently, and you dismiss any differing opinions as "unreasonable whining", I'm not sure why you expect anyone here to waste their time addressing your question.

Still, I'm willing to give it a go with a detailed response.

It was crap. Dreck. Rubbish. One of the most idiotic ways any show has ever wrapped up. Jon Snow waterskiing over a dragon would have been marginally less inane. Muck. Inconsistent tripe.
    A vomitous, bile-filled, pustulent sore which should be compulsory watching for any aspiring TV writers, who should be a locked in a room and forced to endure it so nobody else ever has to suffer such a wreck of a show again.

It was really, really, bad. I think that about sums it up.

That's not a detailed response. It's just more silly words without any real content.

Why is it "crap"?

Why is it "Dreck"?

etc.

Seriously, I don't mind an actual detailed argument as to why someone thought something was bad. If people think it's bad. Fine. But the whys are always lacking.

And no, something like "It was "rushed" (one of the most common complaints) is not an argument. That's a feeling. I myself, didn't feel the rushed, to be honest. But that might be due to the fact that I watched S8 soon after S7. So, to me, it's like one long S7 rather than two series.

Also, "It was really, really, bad." is not an argument either. That's just a statement and it doesn't "sum" anything up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think the biggest swizz was that winter never came. Literally the catchphrase they used from the first episode. I was expecting an extended nightmare season with corpses frozen in the snow and parents forced to eat their children, not a bit snowier than usual at Winterfell and basically t-shirt and shorts weather everywhere else.

It was so bad that no one I know ever mentions it in conversation. I'd say my friend who was into the most along with myself spent about 20 minutes talking about it since the finale and that was the next day. We used to sit for hours over beers talking about the most obscure lore and theories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

That's not a detailed response. It's just more silly words without any real content.

Why is it "crap"?

Why is it "Dreck"?

etc.

Seriously, I don't mind an actual detailed argument as to why someone thought something was bad. If people think it's bad. Fine. But the whys are always lacking.

And no, something like "It was "rushed" (one of the most common complaints) is not an argument. That's a feeling. I myself, didn't feel the rushed, to be honest. But that might be due to the fact that I watched S8 soon after S7. So, to me, it's like one long S7 rather than two series.

Also, "It was really, really, bad." is not an argument either. That's just a statement and it doesn't "sum" anything up.

You're right. S7 and S8 were like one giant ****e season. The only reason S7 avoids similar criticism is because of what came after it.

Gendry running to the wall :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It was so bad that no one I know ever mentions it in conversation. I'd say my friend who was into the most along with myself spent about 20 minutes talking about it since the finale and that was the next day. We used to sit for hours over beers talking about the most obscure lore and theories.
    I'll have to echo this; I was at a friend having bbq a month ago and he's a die hard nerd like me. He got married, in a church, with the GoT theme music as the song playing as they walked down the aisle and our total time discussing GoT Season 8 was less then 3 minutes which encompassed us all (inc. respective misses) agreeing how horrible it was done and what reasons they could have had to bail out.

You may think GoT season 8 was brilliant; you are in a very very small minority and the other group includes everything from lore buffs to series producers to professional reviewers along with the fact that the expected spin offs (6+ of them) all now appear to be cancelled.

We used to sit for hours over beers talking about the most obscure lore and theories.

That's because it hadn't ended yet. Theorising over possible directions, endings and where things can and will go is possible at that point.
    It was so bad that no one I know ever mentions it in conversation. I'd say my friend who was into the most along with myself spent about 20 minutes talking about it since the finale and that was the next day.

That's because it ended. It's over. No more fan theories.

Nody wrote: »
    You may think GoT season 8 was brilliant; you are in a very very small minority

If this is aimed at me, I don't care.
    and the other group includes everything from lore buffs to series producers to professional reviewers

I couldn't care less about this either.

I have no investment in 'Game of Thrones' except as a TV Show. I've never read the books and have no intention to. The "lore" is only what I've seen on the show. So, my only entertainment basis is in that. I don't bring any baggage to the television outing and, as such it remained very good throughout its run for me. I can't compare it to another medium.

But so far, from what I've seen, none of the "it's crap" merchants have detailed why they think it's that way. It's all just a load of statements and feelings littered around the web as "fact". But not actually backed up with anything.

If people think something is "crap". That's fine. I'd like to know why though and that's been woefully shortcoming.

The usual complaints seem to be things like it was "rushed". I didn't feel it was rushed. In fact S8 had the same running time as S6 and nobody said that S6 was "rushed". The "rushed" thing comes from people looking at the episode number and not the screen time. If people feel it was "rushed", then so be it. But that's just a feeling, not a fact.

Also, some people are complaining about Daenerys "sudden" about face where there was none. Her napalming Kings Landing made perfect sense to me. To me she was always a power hungry bitch, teetering on the edge of lunacy and possessing a psychopathic desire to sit on the Iron Throne while getting people to "bend the knee".

"I'll take what is mine by fire and blood".

People are whining too about Jaime Lanister's ending, who, in actual fact, got the death he desired, even if it wasn't the one that some fans wanted for him. He died "in the arms of the woman" he loved.

ad nauseam...

So far, what I've seen passing as "criticism" can be countered very easily and a lot of it amounts to some people just not getting the endings that they written themselves. Such as Arya killing the Night King and not Jon Snow.

That doesn't mean that the show is flawless. Far from it. But nothing's flawless. The absolute worst thing for me in the entire show was Jon Snow's fake death. That was just rubbish, like all fake out deaths are.
    the expected spin offs (6+ of them) all now appear to be cancelled.

Good. Spins off's rarely work. ('Better Call Saul' being a notable exception).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Gotta agree with tony here. They last season was brilliant. Sure we could have had it be longer and more room to breathe. Then you look back at season five and see all the crap filler of it all and realize that’s actually all crap and doesn’t move the story along.
    Once again the complain culture has found a fertile bed and took root.

Many (the majority as complainers are fond of using baselessly) have already rewatched the entire series and with full context agree dany was always going that way. The only legitimate complaint is the season was too short. That’s all

The Actors are to blame for that alone. And no blame to them they wanted to move on.

Are you going to boycott it and never watch it again?

Doubt that somehow.

Liam O wrote: »

You really think anyone is going to watch your YouTube clips? Are you incapable of making your own point yourself?,
    You couldn’t even present the points of the bull**** videos you posted ?
    Really?
    Mpretty sure it’s against forum standard but let’s see

I kinda forgot about making my own point I guess. Watching videos is tough for you?

I think the actors themselves laughing at the quality of the tripe we were fed is indicative enough but sure.

It makes sense to you that someone with no sword training can hold off a load of wights with the only explanation that the scene cut away. Same with all of the main characters surviving being swarmed by them, including Sam who was on the ground being overrun by them?

Dothraki multiplication after they all ran to their deaths but sure I guess they kind of forgot about that. The worst battle plan there's ever been from the minds that brought you the battle of the blackwater, the wildlings attack on the wall and the siege of Riverrun. But sure I guess they kind of forgot how to plan battles?

Dany obviously kind of forgot about the iron fleet which led to one of her dragons being killed. Of course a dragon is no match for a giant arrow.

Cersei in the next episode had a load of scorpions outside the walls. I guess she kind of forgot that giant arrows are no match for a dragon.

Missandei's capture? How did that work? She was in the cabin downstairs and everyone else swam to shore? Why does Cersei know that Missandei is not just a translator to Dany?

I guess the night king kind of forgot that he was bringing winter because the weather wasn't as bad as it was when Stannis was marching south and his army was falling apart.

These are some things that just immediately popped into my head. There are hundreds of other issues. I don't see how anyone would not be able to see them.

I kinda forgot about making my own point I guess. Watching videos is tough for you?

I think the actors themselves laughing at the quality of the tripe we were fed is indicative enough but sure.

It makes sense to you that someone with no sword training can hold off a load of wights with the only explanation that the scene cut away. Same with all of the main characters surviving being swarmed by them, including Sam who was on the ground being overrun by them?

Dothraki multiplication after they all ran to their deaths but sure I guess they kind of forgot about that. The worst battle plan there's ever been from the minds that brought you the battle of the blackwater, the wildlings attack on the wall and the siege of Riverrun. But sure I guess they kind of forgot how to plan battles?

Dany obviously kind of forgot about the iron fleet which led to one of her dragons being killed. Of course a dragon is no match for a giant arrow.

Cersei in the next episode had a load of scorpions outside the walls. I guess she kind of forgot that giant arrows are no match for a dragon.

Missandei's capture? How did that work? She was in the cabin downstairs and everyone else swam to shore? Why does Cersei know that Missandei is not just a translator to Dany?

I guess the night king kind of forgot that he was bringing winter because the weather wasn't as bad as it was when Stannis was marching south and his army was falling apart.

These are some things that just immediately popped into my head. There are hundreds of other issues. I don't see how anyone would not be able to see them.

Winter is coming only ever meant war is coming. Be prepared.
    It didn’t and never meant oh sh!t here comes snow what’ll we do?? Which is the way you and many seek to interpret it. Incorrectly. Snowflakes coming to get us Oh noes!
    Jaysis
    And I’m somehow right cos some YouTube videos make my point for me that I’m unable to articulate
    The rest of your points such as they are, are petulant. No interest in reading your ‘hundreds of other reasons’

• Advertisement

Maybe not all the Dothraki charged and not all them died.

Daenerys wasn't expecting the Iron Fleet to be armed with ballistas.

As for the arrow/dragon thing - an unsuspecting aerial target is shot out of the sky. Just like unsuspecting aerial targets are shot out of the sky in real life. Most pilots never know what hit them.

As for the dragon/arrow thing - an alerted aerial target is much harder to hit. Just like in real life.

Missandrei was picked out of the water after her ship went down. Happens in real life all the time. And it wouldn't matter to Cersei what function she served.

The night King, literally, brings a storm with him.

Advertisement