Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Non book readers" - Season 8 Episode 5 "The bells" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Sorry to see the hound go probarbly the most honourable Knight that never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Was expecting Arya to die given that her escape was being mirrored by The Hound's fighting.

Was a tad convenient almost comical that the GC commander's horse survived the ensuing slaughter to arrive at just the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Always disliked Dani's sense of entitlement, so I'm liking the direction it's taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Pleasantly surprised at the episode. Decent writing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Thought that was brilliant myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sorry to see the hound go probarbly the most honourable Knight that never was.

The whole point of his character is that he wasn't honourable though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Liam O wrote: »
    The whole point of his character is that he wasn't honourable though...

He was always true to himself though what you seen is what you got. Knew the reality of the times he lived in .

Honestly the best hour and fifteen minutes of television I have ever seen.

Some people will always complain or pick holes but honestly, if you didn't enjoy that, then just stop watching the ****ing programme.

Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

They’ve built Jon and Dany up as the two heroes of the show for seven odd seasons, and made their song of ice and fire to round off season 7, creating a “bond” that could destroy the night king and liberate Kings Landing in the final season.

Now, they’ve actually managed to pit them against each other for the final showdown.

They’ve done good.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I won't get a thing done in work today after watching that episode.

Favourite scene was Drogon coming out of the dark before killing Varys and also the end of the episode with Arya. That was some great television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Aside from how easily the Iron fleet and the scorpions were destroyed (I guess "Euron kind of forgot dragons could pivot and turn", or something :p), that was a very entertaining episode. It was great to see Lena Headey get a chance to do more than glower arrogantly, and like I said in the episode 4 thread, I really wish she was able to interact with more than Euron and Qyburn in earlier episodes.

Euron well and truly got his comeuppance. His fleet is gone, and fate robs him of being the killer of the Kingslayer. And Varys is clearly the OG Perez Hilton, because there was no way he'd only written one message by the time he was taken away.

Even though some of the finale is well telegraphed at this point, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

So the mad king got to use his wildfire after all.

Really good episode from start to finish. Can't wait for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ASOT wrote: »
    So the mad king got to use his wildfire after all.

I think a lot of people will have missed/misunderstand that. That was her father's plan, to burn the city, hence Jamie murdering him. So she fulfilled her father's original plan...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

First of all, I thought that was fantastic, best episode of the season so far.

Just to weigh in on the Dany going mad, I thought it was obvious that D&D were going down that path but IMO her essentially committing genocide is about a thousand steps too far.
    People are talking about everything she's done before, but she never murdered innocents. She has murdered people who have betrayed her or people that were preventing her becoming Queen. The murders she has committed before have been generally small in number, and done so in order to gain power.
    To go from murdering high ranking generals to wiping out nearly a million innocent civilians is quite frankly a huge leap in her insanity, regardless of what happened with Jon, Missandei, Jorah, Raeghal, etc.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

nix wrote:
    Dany has always done what was right or what she had to do, but never ever, not once was it at the cost of innocent life for 7+ seasons. And In the space of two episodes she puts Darth Vader to shame and single handedly commits genocide on her own people and civilians of kings landing

Lol you're talking about a person who had slavers nailed to crosses and crucified for about 100 odd miles and around the city of Meereen.

I think it was perfectly telegraphed tbh.

It was a very good episode! Really enjoyed it.

They are going for the whole all humans are terrible kind of ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Necro wrote: »
    Lol you're talking about a person who had slavers nailed to crosses and crucified for about 100 odd miles and around the city of Meereen.

And she's been talking about burning King's Landing since she got back to Dragonstone. There are only so many times some can be talked out of doing something they really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are we sure Cersei and Jaime are dead?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Are we sure Cersei and Jaime are dead?

:pac: For their sakes under all that rubble I would hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,247 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hugely disappointed. Just felt like a completely unearned switch from Dany.

Over 7 years they set up a nuanced, interesting character whose natural instincts are often to achieve the right result in the wrong way - through fire and fury. But always with the greater good in mind as her purpose. There was always justification, however harsh.

Then in just the last 2 or so episodes they start making her pure emo, like "no one loves me", all done through incredibly heavy handed blunt scenes to attempt to justify this episode. Repeating "every time a Targaryn is born, the gods flip a coin" over and over That's pure laziness from the writers.

I know people are saying "she lost everything", and that's fine, but the character that was created over 7 years, on breaking point, would take it out on her enemies in brutal fashion. I could understand if she looked up at the Red Keep, and tore it to pieces. But instead surgically going through the streets murdering every innocent civilian, every child and mother, indiscriminately killing people is totally unearned.

You can't just say "oh she's gone crazy!", and have an entire character turn around like that. Honestly really annoyed with how they've handled it.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Hated it about as much as I've ever hated any episode of anything. Just felt like a completely unearned switch from Dany.

Oh well...

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Hated it about as much as I've ever hated any episode of anything. Just felt like a completely unearned switch from Dany.

And on that note I'm out. There is literally no pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

:pac: For their sakes under all that rubble I would hope so.

True but I can't help feeling it's an anticlimactic end.
    Then again they killed off Varys far too quickly for my liking in this episode...

And on that note I'm out. There is literally no pleasing some people.

What I loved about this show was well crafted characters making real, earned decisions based on their history and relationships. These writers were excellent at taking the huge world of characters and relationships and events from a massive tome of source material, and whittling it down to the core elements to put on screen. They've unfortunately not been great at building out logical and emotionally consistent progression when left on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Slavers aren't innocent people. Burning her future subjects and destroying the biggest city in the kingdom is completely at odds with what has been shown so far. She would have more of a reason to keep that city sustained than she did Meereen but never even dreamed of such actions. It was a great watch but not consistent with her character.

Liam O wrote: »
    Slavers aren't innocent people. Burning her future subjects and destroying the biggest city in the kingdom is completely at odds with what has been shown so far. She would have more of a reason to keep that city sustained than she did Meereen but never even dreamed of such actions. It was a great watch but not consistent with her character.

Exactly, her brutality leading up till now was always a means to an end.

And in this case, she won. It was over, the battle was finished and she was all but Queen. And then inexplicably she just goes on a slow, methodical, very very long killing spree of random innocent strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The battle of winterfell disappointed me but this was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Initial opinions and rants: I honestly feel like that was one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever watched. Dany didn't just burn up King's Landing, she's burning up the legacy of the show. It was completely unearned, too much of an about turn given they are only turning her "mad" in the recent episodes. It is just bad writing.

I was so angry watching it this morning. The Golden Army had been built up and amounted to nothing. The looks of impending fear on their faces was the first give away of how badly handled they were going to be. What a wasted opportunity.

Cleganebowl was a big disappointment but it was never going to live up to expectations. The northmen suddenly becoming massive rapists as the place is being burned to the ground by dragons, just to mirror back to Robert's rebellion since we never saw it. It's just bad.

I laughed out loud when an extra bumps into Arya and asks "Have you seen my wife?" WTF!!

I literally have lost all interest in seeing the finale. All excitement is gone. This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I thought this was brilliant episode. Game of Thrones borrows from history and I bet this was inspired by allies bombing German cities at the end of the war. Regular people are the ones who get screwed in the war.

• Advertisement

Initial opinions and rants: I honestly feel like that was one of the worst episodes of TV I have ever watched. Dany didn't just burn up King's Landing, she's burning up the legacy of the show. It was completely unearned, too much of an about turn given they are only turning her "mad" in the recent episodes. It is just bad writing.

I was so angry watching it this morning. The Golden Army had been built up and amounted to nothing. The looks of impending fear on their faces was the first give away of how badly handled they were going to be. What a wasted opportunity.

Cleganebowl was a big disappointment but it was never going to live up to expectations. The northmen suddenly becoming massive rapists as the place is being burned to the ground by dragons, just to mirror back to Robert's rebellion since we never saw it. It's just bad.

I laughed out loud when an extra bumps into Arya and asks "Have you seen my wife?" WTF!!

I literally have lost all interest in seeing the finale. All excitement is gone. This is why we can't have nice things.
    Yeah, feel similarly. Pretty much just emotionally disengaged after around 15 straight minutes of her just flying around murdering people.

Not to mention how much they built up the scorpions as these dragon killing machines to be feared, only an episode ago. And today, she just swoops down over a a tonne of them and knocks them out, not a bother on her.

Showing them on all the ships, and all over the walls of Kings Landing last week appeared to be setting up that this was a serious threat that would take some sort of cunning to defeat. Nah, apparently they were only dangerous last week.

Advertisement