Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Babies Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭BriarPatch

shhling wrote: »
    First baby so first time to do classes. I'm going to portiuncula. Oh I'm not looking forward to that test. I've also bad veins got sent to plebotomy at my booking scan as midwife couldn't get a vein.
    Hopefully you won't have it this time around although it's great they are checking early. What hospital are you attending?

I had to google where Portiuncula was!! I'm going to the Rotunda.

Amzie wrote: »
    I'm at the 16 week mark and kinda struggling, my moods are absolutely awful and I'm crying all the time it's exhausting anyone else feeling this way?
    I went looking at prams with my OH to try lift my mood but they weren't very nice in the shop. I went to mum and me shop. Is there any nice shops you guys would recommend with helpful staff? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone else is feeling ok and enjoying this experience. I wish I was!

You're not alone! I don't enjoy pregnancy at all, I'm not a glowing pregnant type.
    I had to go to bed early last night to avoid vomiting all over the sitting room and I was crying then because this 2nd trimester should be the easiest part but I just feel sorry for myself all the time. I must start pregnancy yoga again as I think that helped me feel better last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

BriarPatch wrote: »
    You're not alone! I don't enjoy pregnancy at all, I'm not a glowing pregnant type.
    I had to go to bed early last night to avoid vomiting all over the sitting room and I was crying then because this 2nd trimester should be the easiest part but I just feel sorry for myself all the time. I must start pregnancy yoga again as I think that helped me feel better last time.

Ah sorry to hear your having a tough time, that sounds awful! I don't even have the excuse of vomiting to make me feel this way. I hope it passes soon for you & your definitely allowed feel sorry for yourself. I'd love to try that but just know I wouldn't go at the moment with how I'm feeling I can barely manage a walk.aw the joys of pregnancy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Anomaly scan this Friday, I’ll be 21 weeks. Vomiting is still on and off. My hip is starting to ache quite a bit so I’ve been referred to physio, no word on an appointment yet though. I’ve also started the tummy muscle pains I had last time around. It’s feeling like the bump is tearing around my belly button so I’m off to root out my support belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meem

Anomaly scan this Friday, I’ll be 21 weeks. Vomiting is still on and off. My hip is starting to ache quite a bit so I’ve been referred to physio, no word on an appointment yet though. I’ve also started the tummy muscle pains I had last time around. It’s feeling like the bump is tearing around my belly button so I’m off to root out my support belt.

Exciting! Mine isn’t til next Wednesday (il be 21 weeks) just want to hear all is good with baby - fingers crossed.

Can’t believe half way already. This time the weeks are flying by - I guess my toddler is keeping me busy!

Poor you with the constant vomiting. It’s so draining. I was the same last pregnancy and am so thankful this time it stopped in second tri. Hopefully you get some relief soon!

I was at the physio a month ago and have SPD. Had it last time too just much earlier this time round. Your support belt should also help with the hip pain. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

Hello everyone!

Definitely can't believe how quickly time is going. I have already had to be signed out for work for a period, with sciatica. Never had back trouble in my life. It really did a number on me. I was so embarrassed being THAT pregnant lady, signed out really early. But after rest and physio, i'm back to work now and absolutely flying it again. Am giving pregnancy yoga a try- first session tonight. Anything to help avoid a repeat of what happened. Otherwise all going fine.

Meem, I have my anomaly week scan next wednesday too, at 21 weeks! Our due dates must be pretty close together :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'm at the 16 week mark and kinda struggling, my moods are absolutely awful and I'm crying all the time it's exhausting anyone else feeling this way?
    I went looking at prams with my OH to try lift my mood but they weren't very nice in the shop. I went to mum and me shop. Is there any nice shops you guys would recommend with helpful staff? Thanks in advance. Hope everyone else is feeling ok and enjoying this experience. I wish I was!

Please tell your GP/midwife this at your antenatal appointments.It is normal to be very hormonal, but it is good to let them know,, they may be able to help you out and will keep a closer eye on you after the birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Hope you're feeling a bit better this week. I found bella baby (galway) and Tony kealys (cork) to be nice to browse in. To be honest i had it in my head they were going to be very pushy in BB but nothing could have been further from the truth. In both shops I found them to be knowledgeable and put pros and cons forward. Also in All4baby in galway the staff were nice once we approached them and gave us a break down of prices. They also showed less expensive items that they said performed as well if not better. Hope that helps.

I had anomaly scan yesterday and thankfully all went well. It was very detailed and gave me some reassurance after it to be able to start buying things. We didn't find out gender although according to sonographer about 85% do

Please think about asking for something to stop vomiting. I'm on meds since 6 weeks and they really help. I was so good I thought it had passed so I stopped taking the meds and started vomiting again and ended up back in hospital for few days. I'm back on them and feeling great.

Please think about asking for something to stop vomiting. I'm on meds since 6 weeks and they really help. I was so good I thought it had passed so I stopped taking the meds and started vomiting again and ended up back in hospital for few days. I'm back on them and feeling great.

Thanks,this is my third pregnancy and I've asked everytime! I don't vomit enough for it apparantly, mostly I just feel sick now I haven't actually vomited in a couple of weeks now, I just refuse to at this point I keep my mouth shut and get into bed!

Delighted your scan went well, I can't resist finding it the sex I couldn't wait until the end!

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    Please tell your GP/midwife this at your antenatal appointments.It is normal to be very hormonal, but it is good to let them know,, they may be able to help you out and will keep a closer eye on you after the birth.

Thanks I spoke with my gp and took Some time off work did me the world of good as I got time to catch up with some friends and vent I suppose. It's bloody Tiring being so up and down with my moods but I'm hoping it gets better 😌

How's everyone doing?

Had my big scan yesterday and everything was perfect so delighted with that. Finally feel like this pregnancy is moving along!

How's everyone doing?

Had my big scan yesterday and everything was perfect so delighted with that. Finally feel like this pregnancy is moving along!
    It's such a relief isn't it.

It's such a relief isn't it.

Such a relief, allowed myself to buy something in the shops afterwards!

Such a relief, allowed myself to buy something in the shops afterwards!

Same here, big scan went well so I finally bought a few bits today :)

Had the gestational diabetes test this week and I was really apprehensive about it as had heard some stories but to be honest it was fine. The drink was not that bad at all. So if anyone is heading for it soon don't be worried. If I had to do it again it wouldn't bother me.

Had the gestational diabetes test this week and I was really apprehensive about it as had heard some stories but to be honest it was fine. The drink was not that bad at all. So if anyone is heading for it soon don't be worried. If I had to do it again it wouldn't bother me.

I'm more worried about how many times they will take bloods. My veins are crap so freaking out a bit about that. 😩 glad it went ok for you though. Does it take long to get results back?

I'm more worried about how many times they will take bloods. My veins are crap so freaking out a bit about that. 😩 glad it went ok for you though. Does it take long to get results back?

They should call you that afternoon if you have it.
    I think it's 3 draws for the gtt. My veins are crap too so I feel your pain. I refuse to let students near me now, I know they won't be able to do it so don't put myself through that!

As BriarPatch said you will know that afternoon or at latest the following morning if the levels are high. I was told that they only ring if there is a problem. If you hear nothing in 24 hours then all is ok.
    I'm another one with problems with the veins when it comes to taking blood. I've been sent to plebotomy to have it taken as midwives won't attempt it at my checkups, however there was not a problem at the diabetes test. I guess they are doing it every week so are well versed on it. I was sipping lots of water to make sure I was hydrated and that may have helped.
    Genuinely I was very apprehensive about it but if they told me I had to have one done every week I wouldn't have a problem with it. Bring a book as it's a little long.

No water drinking allowed during rotunda gtt or before fasting bloods so make sure you check with your hospital if that's allowed. Defo helps if you are hydrated.
    Book is a great idea

• Advertisement

I was at my GP's last week for a routine check up and I enquired about the GTT. She told me they do not routinely do the test on everybody, only if there are signs and symptoms, if there is a strong family history or if the mother feels very strongly about testing for it. I have none of the signs to date, no family history either. I'm just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? I'm happy not to do it needlessly, but I just assumed everybody was checked?

Thanks !

No I wasn't checked for it routinely on number 1 or 2 so I wouldn't be worried if they don't offer you one!
    When I got to 37 weeks on number 2 baby's belly was measuring at 41 weeks so this was a clear sign of GD so I was sent for the GTT and I did have it.
    Once you have it on a pregnancy you are then treated as if you have it on further pregnancies so I've been having my blood checked regularly on this one!

No I wasn't checked for it routinely on number 1 or 2 so I wouldn't be worried if they don't offer you one!
    When I got to 37 weeks on number 2 baby's belly was measuring at 41 weeks so this was a clear sign of GD so I was sent for the GTT and I did have it.
    Once you have it on a pregnancy you are then treated as if you have it on further pregnancies so I've been having my blood checked regularly on this one!

Thanks a million for your reply, very reassuring. That's perfect so!

No water drinking allowed during rotunda gtt or before fasting bloods so make sure you check with your hospital if that's allowed. Defo helps if you are hydrated.
    Book is a great idea

Apologies for any confusion about water. It is on my info booklet that sips of water are ok and nurse in clinic said I could drink it 5 mins after glucose drink. So best to check your hospital.

Apologies for any confusion about water. It is on my info booklet that sips of water are ok and nurse in clinic said I could drink it 5 mins after glucose drink. So best to check your hospital.

I've seen people on the GD support group say it's fine but I've asked number of times and they tell me no so really does seem to depend on the hospital!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Some hospitals appear to be doing it routinely now, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. Greetings from the February thread.

My wife is 19 weeks along. She's with the Domino scheme in the Coombe and all going well so far.

She's just been given an appointment for a three hour "preliminary antenatal class" in a few weeks time.

She (well we, but mostly she) are pretty good at reading up on what to do and expect, and we're planning to attend a full day antenatal course organised by the Coombe in January.

She'd prefer not to have to take time off work for this preliminary class in a few weeks time, but she's wondering whether she should.

Have any of you attended one? Did you find it valuable, or is it the sort of thing we can learn ourselves?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Meem

Evil_g wrote: »
    Hi folks. Greetings from the February thread.

My wife is 19 weeks along. She's with the Domino scheme in the Coombe and all going well so far.

She's just been given an appointment for a three hour "preliminary antenatal class" in a few weeks time.

She (well we, but mostly she) are pretty good at reading up on what to do and expect, and we're planning to attend a full day antenatal course organised by the Coombe in January.

She'd prefer not to have to take time off work for this preliminary class in a few weeks time, but she's wondering whether she should.

Have any of you attended one? Did you find it valuable, or is it the sort of thing we can learn ourselves?

Thanks in advance.

Hi!
    I had my first baby in the Coombe in June 18 and just went to their Weekend antenatal class. I never got invited to a preliminary antenatal class but from my experience on the class I did go to I don’t feel that I was missing an introduction or anything.

This baby is due Early Jan and even though I was encouraged to attend the class again I’ve decided not to as with only 18 months between them I don’t think that it would be that helpful for me.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Thanks Meem. It think we'll give it a miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Is anyone here in the same situation we are? We live in South Dublin & are trying to put our January baby on creche lists but at the minute everyone seems to be booked out at November 2020 when my partner has to go back to work. We live in Rathfarnham & have run out of ideas!??

Advertisement