Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It'll probably be next week before full scans etc are done and there's a timeframe on it

his arm break this time 2 years ago took him 4 months to heal.

from jan 13th to may 26th

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

sydthebeat wrote: »
    his arm break this time 2 years ago took him 4 months to heal.

from jan 13th to may 26th

And if he's broken the arm where he already has metal plates installed then it could be a whole lot longer.

Terrible for him personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And if he's broken the arm where he already has metal plates installed then it could be a whole lot longer.

Great rugby player but couldn't have happened to a nicer guy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why because of what he said about Folau?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Muligatawney

Just thinking about our prop situation and wondering what might happen to Andrew Porter? Should thought be given to him switching back to loosehead? Thought he went very well there with Ireland around World Cup time.

In the medium term, when Healy is starting to slow down, LH is one of the only positions where we don't have anyone that is either already an established international or has shown the potential to be that class.

Dooley - 25 - Could well be a good European player and an international but not much beyond that?

Byrne - 26 - Grand solid player but never going to be international class.

Milne - 20 - He could well be the answer to the question. Showed a lot of potential but we haven't seen enough yet.

Whereas at tighthead we obviously have two international quality players who are young enough to be around for another 5-10 years, two serious high potential young players in Aungier and Clarkson and a wildcard in Salanoa who might well turn out well which is not to mention Vakh who is a solid player too.

Just seems like keeping Porter as a TH will lead to Leinster losing at least one of those players at the same time as having a little bit of a talent lull on the other side of the scrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Charlie Ward at LH as well as Milne in the academy. I wouldn't be too quick to throw Porter back into LH, he's playing extremely well at TH and hasn't really been tested in his brief cameos at LH at senior level.

Healy's only turned 32, and seems to have gotten over his injury woes. There's a good chance he could still be around for another 3-4 years if he stays injury free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Iirc he has plates in both arms so we are looking at a long recovery period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

That is such a boards comment. You know him? You just insinuate that he is not a nice guy? He has his beliefs and they might be different from most of us, but me personally would not wish that on anyone. Two plates in his arms.... not good if he keeps breaking arms. The game is brutal. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery and hope that it does not effect him too much in later life.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    That is such a boards comment. You know him? You just insinuate that he is not a nice guy? He has his beliefs and they might be different from most of us, but me personally would not wish that on anyone. Two plates in his arms.... not good if he keeps breaking arms. The game is brutal. I wish him nothing but the best in his recovery and hope that it does not effect him too much in later life.

No shortage of gay people with broken limbs as a result of prejudice turning to violence. Sensational athlete and competitor but hating on people over who they are attracted to is pathetic.

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »

I didn't wish it upon him and never said he deserved it, just said it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. And I'm free to have that opinion of a homophobe. As are the RFU who formally warned him over his beliefs and comments, so much so it's left it on his record for five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Is there a possibility that Leinster could sign any of Saracens players? Would they be N.I.Q? If Fardy leaves and Tomane too would a 1 year deal for a Sarries player be allowed.
    If any Saracens player signs with a province , are they eligible to play for England? I think a one year loan deal would benefit any of the provinces!
    On another note, I was a huge fan of McCall, it's disappointing the way it's gone. I think he's as culpable as anyone.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Is there a possibility that Leinster could sign any of Saracens players? Would they be N.I.Q? If Fardy leaves and Tomane too would a 1 year deal for a Sarries player be allowed.
    If any Saracens player signs with a province , are they eligible to play for England? I think a one year loan deal would benefit any of the provinces!
    On another note, I was a huge fan of McCall, it's disappointing the way it's gone. I think he's as culpable as anyone.

I've posted on the Munster thread that Farrell for a year would make an awful lot of sense. I expect to be proven correct.

As for Leinster - Itoje wouldn't be a bad shout or a loosehead. I don't want anyone standing in front of Kelleher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I've posted on the Munster thread that Farrell for a year would make an awful lot of sense. I expect to be proven correct.

As for Leinster - Itoje wouldn't be a bad shout or a loosehead. I don't want anyone standing in front of Kelleher.

Was thinking the same. But it would depend on the international call ups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

It would make little sense for Leinster. They are helping out a major rival. They would end up with a player for 12 months who wouldn't give a s**t. Would block a younger player who could get experience, or even an older Irish player so could affect the Irish tea,

If they want to sign a player long term then yes but not on a short term

I would say the same for all the provinces.

Let them off to France

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If Elliott Daly became available Leinster would be mad not to make an offer.

Leinster don't need what essentially amounts to a loan player.

Also, a player like Farrell, Daly or Itoje could spend a year in Leinster and learn all our plays, tactics and calls and take them back to Sarries when they return as they will have no loyalty to us (and why should they).

There's barely any upside to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's funny that a guy who was continuously underrated in English rugby for a few years has become potentially the most overrated player in English rugby for me.

Started all Lions tests, 40 English caps in under 4 years, big money contract from Saracens etc. despite absolutely phoning it in for his last year at Wasps.

I'll always recall his non-showing for Wasps last season when he berated his team mates and shoved Sopoaga in the back as Leinster scored.

Leave me alone Buer.

I'm not sure the short term gains of a year loan is worth it from a Leinster perspective.

A big part of our NIQs is that they're available for the international periods to help bring experience while the Irish players are away.

Bringing a player in for 12 months to potentially displace a young player for the season, or decrease the game time for internationals, introducing them to our tactics and game plans, and potentially gaining an insight to how the Irish camp operates (considering there's clinics done by some of the national team coaches with the provinces from time to time), and not have them during those periods doesn't really make sense.

We then send them back to Sarries and England with all that and in the end all Leinster have gotten out of it is a couple of performances and our academy lads and developing players with less game time.

Have we ever had an English NIQ player in any of the provinces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,179 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have we ever had an English NIQ player in any of the provinces?

Buer wrote: »

Green had finished playing with England in 2003 before the world cup.

Just curious as to whether the IRFU would let a current England player into the setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Why is there a presumption it would be a one year loan? Especially the non Saracen's produced players wouldn't necessarily want to go back. There's also all the talk about it might have to be two years in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Provided he plays on the wing only. He's a bomb scare at 15. Larmour is significantly better in his fielding of the high ball and positioning in the back field

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I seen Elliott Daly playing for Wasps

Larmour has better potential long term......

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Absolutely no point in any of the Provinces signing an Active International from from another country.

The whole point of the NIQ is is add experience to the squad and to have them available for the whole season.

People like Skelton , Vincent Koch , Micheal Rhodes etc. might be worth a look , but any of the current English Internationals would be a waste of time and money.

Buer wrote: »

Robbie Morris at Connacht too.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Ben Te'o's first call up to an England squad came while he was still at Leinster right? Though he'd already signed for a Premiership club for the following season.

Ben Te'o's first call up to an England squad came while he was still at Leinster right? Though he'd already signed for a Premiership club for the following season.

He was called up in May when there were four days left in the season before he left so technically yes. Although he was called up for a tour that was after he was due to join Worcester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mk2golf

Why would leinster sign him. Hes is awful way past his i am ok date .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement