Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shut up Buer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't think I'm alone in expecting irony to have some kind of clear and broader purpose to it; as in, when you say something you don't really mean, it has to be immediately apparent what your broader point is, and ideally, you are highlighting something that ultimately matters in the broader picture.

This is why The Onion/WWN is so good - the irony is immediately clear, and quite often gets to a broader issue or injustice more concisely than any literal commentary ever could.

If these publications instead just made up random stories, hoping people took them seriously, they wouldn't have lasted too long.

A hint may be taken here, I dare say....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

In fairness I strongly believe that barring injury, Doris will be a 50+ cap international 8 and probably 1st choice within two seasons, so I am not sure where that would leave the others. I have no idea how they can keep the squad happy in general, surely next season we will final see some kind of trickle to France/England.

So in my eyes young lads often loosely fall into two camps within their first season or two: (1) promising, (2) not quite up to it.

Plenty of examples exist of players in the latter camp leaving Leinster, and developing into very good players (e.g., Cooney, Beirne).

Are there example success stories of players in the former camp leaving? Carbery may actually be the only test case, and it's debatable whether he would have been better off staying at Leinster, playing less, but in a better coached environment.

Point I'm making is - there seems to be this prevailing attitude that promising players need to leave and secure game time to maximise their development. But I don't think we have nearly enough data to claim this route is better than staying in the Leinster setup.

A similar debate is going on in England right now regarding Phil Foden. Everyone bawling that he needs to leave Man City and get game time. But why is that better than staying at City and learning from one of the best ever coaches, every day?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm alone in expecting irony to have some kind of clear and broader purpose to it; as in, when you say something you don't really mean, it has to be immediately apparent what your broader point is, and ideally, you are highlighting something that ultimately matters in the broader picture.

This is why The Onion/WWN is so good - the irony is immediately clear, and quite often gets to a broader issue or injustice more concisely than any literal commentary ever could.

If these publications instead just made up random stories, hoping people took them seriously, they wouldn't have lasted too long.

A hint may be taken here, I dare say....

I think its more a 'running joke' sort of thing with Trol. Harmless eitherway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

So in my eyes young lads often loosely fall into two camps within their first season or two: (1) promising, (2) not quite up to it.

Plenty of examples exist of players in the latter camp leaving Leinster, and developing into very good players (e.g., Cooney, Beirne).

Are there example success stories of players in the former camp leaving? Carbery may actually be the only test case, and it's debatable whether he would have been better off staying at Leinster, playing less, but in a better coached environment.

Point I'm making is - there seems to be this prevailing attitude that promising players need to leave and secure game time to maximise their development. But I don't think we have nearly enough data to claim this route is better than staying in the Leinster setup.

A similar debate is going on in England right now regarding Phil Foden. Everyone bawling that he needs to leave Man City and get game time. But why is that better than staying at City and learning from one of the best ever coaches, every day?

Andrew Conway would probably fall into the category of a standout prospect who left due to not getting enough game time.

But I would agree and say there's very little examples, mostly because we don't have a 'loan' system where players can go off for a season and then return, which is partly down to contract structures I think. Young premier league footballers are signed to long length contracts in lot of cases where there's not much of a risk of the player coming to the end of their contract and then signing with the loan team instead (like Quinn Roux and Cooney).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think its more a 'running joke' sort of thing with Trol. Harmless eitherway!

This^, I don’t think they’re trying to be ironic, it’s more stiring the pot to see what happens and get a reaction. It just surprises me how often regular forum users bite.

Andrew Conway would probably fall into the category of a standout prospect who left due to not getting enough game time.

But I would agree and say there's very little examples, mostly because we don't have a 'loan' system where players can go off for a season and then return, which is partly down to contract structures I think. Young premier league footballers are signed to long length contracts in lot of cases where there's not much of a risk of the player coming to the end of their contract and then signing with the loan team instead (like Quinn Roux and Cooney).

Yeah Conway probably the only other example that springs to mind. Would he have been better off riding out the MOC era and now learning under Stucaster? Probably a coin toss at best. Certainly with 18 international caps in nearly 7 years, you can't exactly call it a resounding success story.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It's different in football. If they think Foden could be world class it's detrimental to ride the bench all year. Look at the very best footballers, pretty much all of them were regular starters as teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Conan v Deegan v Doris. It's beautiful. But one will most likely go! It could be anyone of them! I was pointing out the benefits of Conan going west! He'd be an immediate impact player as would the other 2. Obvious starter and plenty of match time.
    Ulster to me is a non option! Coetzee blocks the pathway. Ulster is the least attractive in terms of the amount of matches they would start! Munster would be a little better. I think Stander could move to 6. Then what about POM and JOD?
    Connacht is instant Shangri la for anyone of the trio to walk into a starting position.
    Of course nobody may leave! Or 1 could try to switch to 6. In that scenario I think Doris is the better choice.
    Nucifora will be having conversations with several Leinster players. He's going to want some interprovincial movement. I can see him approach several lads asking them to relocate.
    I would guess!
    B. Daly if he returns healthy.
    C.O.B, if Tomane is retained. I hope not! C.O.B will be a very good player.
    Penny for playing time.
    A Byrne, possibly?
    Maybe Frawley?
    I hope nobody leaves! I like my toys! I want to keep them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,292 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Conan v Deegan v Doris. It's beautiful. But one will most likely go! It could be anyone of them! I was pointing out the benefits of Conan going west! He'd be an immediate impact player as would the other 2. Obvious starter and plenty of match time.
    Ulster to me is a non option! Coetzee blocks the pathway. Ulster is the least attractive in terms of the amount of matches they would start! Munster would be a little better. I think Stander could move to 6. Then what about POM and JOD?
    Connacht is instant Shangri la for anyone of the trio to walk into a starting position.
    Of course nobody may leave! Or 1 could try to switch to 6. In that scenario I think Doris is the better choice.
    Nucifora will be having conversations with several Leinster players. He's going to want some interprovincial movement. I can see him approach several lads asking them to relocate.
    I would guess!
    Penny for playing time.
    A Byrne, possibly?
    Maybe Frawley?

Nucifora has been around quite a while and there hasn’t been many of these types of moves. Back row is somewhere were there are constantly spots coming available due to injuries. Very hard to persuade players to leave the best setup in the country to move away from home with just the carrot of more game time to dangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Heading into the game tomorrow, could anyone tell me where I could get parking close to the ground. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Pembroke Park and Herbert Road are pretty good if you get there relatively early, I usually park around there myself if I'm driving.

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Heading into the game tomorrow, could anyone tell me where I could get parking close to the ground. Thanks!

I always park on Elgin road or Clyde road.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I would guess!
    Penny for playing time.
    A Byrne, possibly?
    Maybe Frawley?

Coetzee won't be around for much longer. There'd be plenty of opportunities to play 8 at Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    You would have to imagine Trol sits there giggling at his keyboard when people take his posts seriously.

Wasn't TROL I was addressing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Coetzee won't be around for much longer. There'd be plenty of opportunities to play 8 at Ulster

I understand one of the conditions of the NI assembley coming back was the Irish Government promised three Leinster academy players would go north every year. Simon Coveney was happy to sign off on this.

Buer wrote: »
    Wasn't TROL I was addressing though!

I know, you were responding to someone who was responding to him.

I understand one of the conditions of the NI assembley coming back was the Irish Government promised three Leinster academy players would go north every year. Simon Coveney was happy to sign off on this.

Bloody typical from a Munster man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Got any Tadhg’s left? They would love a Tadhg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think he's on a 3 year contract? This would be year 2!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah, I thought it was the last year.

This is year three I think, he missed nearly all the first season through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Can anyone recommend a pub nearby that will be doing food today after the match? I know pubs do food during the week, just not sure if they will be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Coetzee signed a new contract last year until 2022 as far as I was aware.

Can anyone recommend a pub nearby that will be doing food today after the match? I know pubs do food during the week, just not sure if they will be today.

The bridge does food but will be rammed probably, as will all the pubs close to the ground. If you go up to Donnybrook there’s a gastro pub, used to be Madigan’s not sure what it’s called now.

The bridge does food but will be rammed probably, as will all the pubs close to the ground. If you go up to Donnybrook there’s a gastro pub, used to be Madigan’s not sure what it’s called now.

Yeah, I figured they'd be busy alright. Migh head further up to Baggot St. Early kick off might mean it's not as busy as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

All the pubs close by will be absolutely rammed. Depending on how far your willing to walk, then there is the "old spot" on bath avenue (15 Min) or the Gassworks (gastropub a little further on). Both of these would be handy if you are heading back into town anyway. If your out for the evening, it might be worth walking up to ranelagh village instead. Great selection of pubs with food, as well as lots of restaurants (20 min walk from rds)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Horse Show House and The Bridge will probably do food today. Both within 100 metres if the RDS.

As mentioned above, The Old Spot does the best pub food I've ever had.

• Advertisement

All the pubs close by will be absolutely rammed. Depending on how far your willing to walk, then there is the "old spot" on bath avenue (15 Min) or the Gassworks (gastropub a little further on). Both of these would be handy if you are heading back into town anyway. If your out for the evening, it might be worth walking up to ranelagh village instead. Great selection of pubs with food, as well as lots of restaurants (20 min walk from rds)
    Clegg wrote: »
    The Horse Show House and The Bridge will probably do food today. Both within 100 metres if the RDS.

As mentioned above, The Old Spot does the best pub food I've ever had.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've been in most of those pubs mentioned before, just wasn't sure about match day and the fact that it's a Sunday.
    I don't expect the pubs to be that busy because of the early KO and there's work for most people in the morning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement