Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Hi all, I’m looking at buying an ID3 as my first try at the electric car world.

Does anyone know when the 2024 updated version is due to be released?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Mad_Lad

I posted this on the id4 thread but might be interesting to some.

Here's a few screen shots of the 77 Kwh id3 battery report after 2.5 years and 75,700 kms

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭electricus

A recent snapshot of mine after 0 to 100% Tour 5, same age as yours but 30k on the clock.

I picked a cold night (temperature was below 5c) so I’ll have to try again if it ever warms up!

That's strange, so my HV battery is 67.075, yours is 66.825

My max energy content is 71.8 and yours 74.900

Not sure what to make of that ?

Mine was taken around 8.5 Deg C battery what was your battery temp do you remember ?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭electricus

Not sure either, my max is same as last year but the charge level is down from 71, if I remember. That was also during summer and about 15c warmer.

I can’t find a screenshot with battery temps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

There was a recall last year I think for some bad battery modules, yours didn't get caught up in that by any chance?

Might be worth checking

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Can you enter the vin somewhere ?

To be honest I don't notice a loss in range, got to Belfast in December in less than ideal weather, speed limit all the way a bit above on the N7 and got there with 30% which is around the same as the previous year trip to Belfast.

I don't think you can in Ireland but there was a link on the VW Australia website that worked for all cars I think

Sure if you've enough range then what's with all the complaints? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

Just give your local VW dealer a call, give them your reg and they will tell you if there is a recall, it should be covered by warranty.

We're trying to join the ID.3 club but getting bamboozled by so many different variants and opinions. We've heard that there's huge bargains to be had in buying the ID3 now but I'm not seeing them for some reason. Maybe my idea of what's a bargain is a bit off. We test drove a 2021 last week and it was a really nice car. Reading up, I feel like we're being guided towards a 232 pro or thereabouts but I just don't know whether I should expect to get my hands on that for less than 28k ish. PCP at 0% for a new one is an option but then am I giving up the chance to gain from the recent price drop in new cars by getting a 232/231? /

Is there really much more to gain by ignoring the 212/221/222 with lower mileage because the newer ones were 'fixed' and are better?

Should we wait until the 2024 refresh that's due 'mid 24' and then buy new?

If anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

get one with good spec if you can. In the 2021 they would have been called tech, max or tour - the tour is the bigger battery. Our tour has travel assist, electric heated massage seats, matrix lights, and lots more. Not too many coming up second hand right now though. We plan to advertise ours whenever we can get around to cleaning it up! 75000 km on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Also check out cupra born, same car underneath and same basic body shape but styled differently. Marketed as the sporty alternative, although not much more sporty to drive but looks sportier

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

if you absolutely want matrix lights then born is not for you:)

Thanks for that. My main question boils down to whether it’s a good time to buy a new one with the VW reduction and good financing or wait and hunt down a low mileage higher spec 21-23 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

Open to corrections, and yes there are a few other small differences but this is what I think are the noticable or important differences, and this is just the standard spec, not including options someone might have picked like wheels or interiors. 

Some trims available in 145 and 204bhp.

Life is entry level.

Style: Life, + matrix LEDs, alloys and sunroof.

Business: Style, + reversing camera, but - sunroof. (Some early business have steel wheels, later ones have alloys)

Family: Business, but the sunroof and alloys are back.

Tech: Family, + heads up display and some driving assistance things.

Max: Everything.

Tour: Everything, but with a 77kw battery (2 back seats)

Tour 5: Tour but with 3 rear seats.

1st: basically a Style without a sunroof

1st Plus: basically a Family without a sunroof.

That's for pre 2023 models. I don't know the specs after that.

1st doesn’t have matrix lights, no usbs at the back, no sunroof but 18 inch alloys and 2-zone climate. No cars apart from max have rear speakers (only 4+1 in the front).

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daveq

Ah ok sorry, yes First Plus needed to get Matrix.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Ev fan

Agree with others should go for higher spec - family/style- a few available 211 reasonable mileage for around 24k? Obviously need to check that the car is up to date for recall work. Software version should be 3.2 which works fine. Also check the tyres as quite expensive to replace. Need to get battery SOH report at least for peace of mind. Born also a good option- nicer externally and inside IMO.

also all 1st editions came with 16A charging cable.

• Advertisement

Some brilliant advice there. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

I picked up a 21" Tech" before Christmas for 25k, I see these selling for about 20-25k now so the depreciation seems to be leveling off after a big drop last year.

The Tech is pretty rare but the "Family" spec which is just below it pops up regularly enough on Donedeal and they seem to sell pretty quickly.

When I got my car there was a recall to check one of the battery modules, also the software was out of date, I got both sorted by VW last month all under warranty

Thanks, I checked VW Australia and my id3 isn't part of nay recalls.

I've enough range for the diesel to take over lol.

An interesting one I heard today was that a lot of garages have pre reg ID3s and that stock levels in Ireland are quite high. That means ordering customised brand new ones would take a very long time. It also means you don’t get the grant on the pre reg ones as they’re not considered brand new.. so you’d want to be getting the amount of the grand plus a few bob extra off those to make them worthwhile.

Does all that sound right? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not sure about the ID.3 specifically, however I know of several garages trying to sell off pre reg EVs at a significant discount

One person I know bought what is effectively a new Fiat 500e for €10k below list price because it was a pre reg from last year

I believe the requirements for the grant is that the car hasn't been registered in any European countries before. So a UK import doesn't count, however a pre reg car might

In any case, there's probably some good deals to be had out there. I suspect however you'll get absolutely hammered on depreciation given the 2024 model has the improved interior and next year's model is looking like it'll have the improved motor, battery and infotainment

If you're buying with a view to selling for no loss, I'd say you'll need a lot of luck. If you're just looking for a good deal on a car then I'd say it's worth looking into

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

I was in Newmarket motors in Cork last Saturday, had a bunch of 241's ready to go for the Pro model for €30900. I'm assuming this is the knock down price, given the brand new once are up around €35k.

Do they still have a lot of kit removed as standard now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Everything coming down in price for those who wait the deals are there. EVs not selling well according to Q1 stats.

Define removed, I hope this isn't like stories of buying a car in the Soviet Union where you'd buy a car from the salesman then had to go to the market to buy back the windscreen wipers, lights, mirrors and battery which had all been stolen before you got it 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Luna84

Advertisement