Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2FM's 40th Birthday 31 May 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Wasn't it Colm Hayes that covered for him the morning he died?

Yeah. His breakfast show was extended.

I think it’s the first time I’ve listened to 2fm since around the time he died. I used to take him in small doses. A few weeks at a time. Too much G Ryan got tiring for me. But his subtle brilliance is certainly shining through on this.

Shame he’s getting the weather wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

DubTony wrote: »
    I used to take him in small doses. A few weeks at a time. Too much G Ryan got tiring for me. .
    Same
    DubTony wrote: »
    Shame he’s getting the weather wrong.

He isn't, any day with Gerry on the radio is a sunny day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wasn't it Colm Hayes that covered for him the morning he died?

I'd say it was the ambulance men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Really eerie. I used to love him giving advice for my JC and LC! Ah you would really miss Gerry Ryan.

Was it a heart attack he had? I remember the day that Ian dempsey had to cover cos he was running late. I had a bad feeling that morning.
    L1011 wrote: »
    Dempsey had moved to TodayFM over a decade beforehand.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It was one of his female side kicks that filled in if I recall. Brenda Donohue or one of the other regulars (can’t remember name(s))

It was Fiona Looney I thought

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysd6RnKIMGo

This was clip of that morning, its a bit errie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Having listened to Radio 2/2FM over the years my overall sentiment about the station on its 40th anniversary is that

IT HAS NEVER PUT THE LISTENER FIRST.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

threein99 wrote: »

Very eerie, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭prunudo

threein99 wrote: »

I vividly remember listening to that that morning thinking that it was a bad thing to be saying even as a joke. She must have felt sh1t when she got the news. Always thought there was good chemistry between Looney and Gerry, almost as if there was more than met the eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It's on Soundcloud now.
    https://soundcloud.com/rte2fm/the-ryan-line-2fm40

If you have a weak stomach, you'd be advised to skip the section (12-20mins approx) where he discusses squeezing spots in minute detail with a caller. It's Gerry at his best/worst, depending on your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Pat Kenny - Newstalk. Although he was associated on radio with Radio One, he did present an albums show called The Inside Track on Saturday evenings on what was then called Radio 2.

The Outside Track:) !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

An hour long show is on now from 7-8 about the 40th anniversary of 2fm. I’ve heard Larry gogan and Ian Wilson within ten minutes.

Really eerie. I used to love him giving advice for my JC and LC! Ah you would really miss Gerry Ryan.

Was it a heart attack he had? I remember the day that Ian dempsey had to cover cos he was running late. I had a bad feeling that morning.

Heart failure aggregated by alcohol and cocaine abuse. Ian Dempsey was already gone from Radio 2, so you’re misremembering. It was Fiona Looney who covered for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    and Ian Wilson within ten minutes.

Who?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Who?

Radio producer of 2FM (Fanning especially) since the start

Interesting guy too. He was the one who decided to bring new bands into an RTE studio and professionally record sessions with them. The first one he brought in - to test how a noisy rock band would work - was U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Gerry Ryan programme tomorrow at 9am
    ]
    Did they play this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

The Ryan Line at 40, was a great tribute and a superb example of dedicated listening and editing. It must have taken many hours and sleepless nights to put together.

Very well done to all involved, it was a fitting reminder of how different radio was when Gerry was on air and I had goosebumps listening to G Ryan mentioning present day references.

A great idea, done really well. I would have been much easier to do something much simpler, but the effort was worth it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 72,264 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Excellent documentary about 2fm on Radio 1 earlier this evening, produced by Will Leahy.

Well worth a listen back :)

Ryan Tubridy did a really good job presenting the 2fm breakfast show, ‘The Full Irish’.

And now that I’ve said that, I’ll get my coat :o:D

The Full Irish might be the only time in Tubridy's career that he was tolerable...

Ger Roe wrote: »
    The Ryan Line at 40, was a great tribute and a superb example of dedicated listening and editing. It must have taken many hours and sleepless nights to put together.

Very well done to all involved, it was a fitting reminder of how different radio was when Gerry was on air and I had goosebumps listening to G Ryan mentioning present day references.

A great idea, done really well. I would have been much easier to do something much simpler, but the effort was worth it.:)

Agreed, though why was it only one hour long?

• Advertisement

Agreed, though why was it only one hour long?

Perhaps because they tried too hard to fit the content of the show around the timechecks? It was a nice trick but did the tail wag the dog? While I agree that he loved talking about bodily functions in the manner of your average schoolboy, it took up too much space in that limited time.

Advertisement