Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Irish Gigs (Rumoured & Confirmed events)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Sorry now, do the food rules still apply to the Whelan's gigs? Surely it's a different story when it's a show you're attending? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Sorry now, do the food rules still apply to the Whelan's gigs? Surely it's a different story when it's a show you're attending? No?

I'd say they're operating on basis that normal pubs will be open by then but not sure was there an exemption for gig venues to begin with. Not that I'd heard of but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The 3arena don't serve a substantial meal when u think about it. Nachos might count as it

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The 3arena don't serve a substantial meal when u think about it. Nachos might count as it

They don't but say by time they're able to open pubs will be well open so wouldn't need to either

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

Seems to be rescheduled from March, guess it will be rescheduled again between now and then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Penfailed

xtal191 wrote: »

They're also playing the Limelight in Belfast. That has been rescheduled for the 27th of March next year.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Just on the "Drive in Gigs" that were announced and cancelled, the Chainsmokers had one in the States last weekend.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/us/hamptons-concert-investigation-social-distancing-trnd/index.html

Didn't go well, nobody stayed in the cars

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭rainagain

Eod100 wrote: »
    Whelans plan to open on 10th August with 88 people (presume that's on basis that limits increased from then) with tables of 2,4 or 6 people.

Looks like it will be mostly acoustic and electronic gigs at start and announcing gigs from next week.

Venue in London tried something similar last night, report on BBC today - look up "Socially distanced trial gig ‘not a success’" (I can't post link as I'm a new user)

Main thing is that the venue costs weren't covered with the reduced occupancy. 200 people attended - venue's capacity is 1,250. Be interesting to hear what the singer Frank Turner says, he said on twitter he'd write up his experience shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

rainagain wrote: »
    Venue in London tried something similar last night, report on BBC today - look up "Socially distanced trial gig ‘not a success’" (I can't post link as I'm a new user)

Main thing is that the venue costs weren't covered with the reduced occupancy. 200 people attended - venue's capacity is 1,250. Be interesting to hear what the singer Frank Turner says, he said on twitter he'd write up his experience shortly.

https://t.co/hrc7q9ILC4?amp=1 he put up a blog post about it, basically everyone involved knew it was a no hope money loser, but they went ahead with it to have the data to present to the government. Now somewhere like whelans might get away with 88 people for acoustic sets, but it's in no way feasible for the likes of the Olympia/vicar St.

• Advertisement

personally responsibility will have to come to play, we cant keep venues closed forever. Loads of hand sanitizer stations, everyone has to wear a mask, more click and collect type systems for bars/merch stands etc

Losing 9 months of 2020 was already grim but losing all those rescheduled gigs for 2021 would be a disaster for the industry and not to mention staff in both arena and on crews

prob get the head bit off me for this but the 2021 concerts are the only thing getting me through this horrible time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

personally responsibility will have to come to play, we cant keep venues closed forever. Loads of hand sanitizer stations, everyone has to wear a mask, more click and collect type systems for bars/merch stands etc

Losing 9 months of 2020 was already grim but losing all those rescheduled gigs for 2021 would be a disaster for the industry and not to mention staff in both arena and on crews

prob get the head bit off me for this but the 2021 concerts are the only thing getting me through this horrible time.

If it is made mandatory to wear a mask then you probably would not be able to have a bar which is another large income stream for a venue, a bit of a catch-22 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

large numbers of people crammed into an indoor space, shouting and singing is pretty much the textbook environment for spreading the virus. No amount of hand-sanitiser will mitigate that. If you have to socially distance, or wear a mask, the economics of big gigs become unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

And they won't be happening without a cure/treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/marc-geiger-dont-expect-concerts-before-2022-lefsetz-1234709641/

Yeah wouldn't be too confident too soon. Hopefully it wont take that long but the possibility is there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fafy

Kino in Cork doing gigs, limited to 40 ( 200 ish normally), selling tables of 2 to 5, and some acts doing two gigs per night. Table service from the bar, will give it a try.

https://uticket.ie/venue/kino-

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fafy

Duffy98 wrote: »
    Stormzys two shows in the 3 Arena are still on if you look on ticketmaster as well.

He has a good few gigs in Dublin and throughout the UK, throughout September, starting with London (then Dublin)in 4 weeks time, and none of these will happen, but nothing has been cancelled yet.

the last nail in the coffin for 2020 gigs i think :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Duffy98

Guns n Roses rescheduled to tuesday 22nd June 2021 same day as MCR, ive tickets for both so GnR is getting refunded anyway ive already seen them at Slane i cant see it being reacheduled from a Saturday to a Tuesday going down well with people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

All I have left "planned" for this year now is

Thee Oh Sees - November
    Book of Mormon - December

Don't see either going ahead

• Advertisement

the last nail in the coffin for 2020 gigs i think :(:(:(

Unless smaller gigs fo ahead but gigs planned over next while seemed to be counting on indoor limit changing from 50 to 100. Know Whelans gigs were going to have a capacity of 88. Maybe later in the Autumn some gigs might happen it limit changes but can't see huge amount going ahead.

All I have left is Idlewild in Button Factory in Nov. Slim chance I reckon, small numbers, could be moved to a larger venue. Main threat would be catching the disease from the band themselves, they wouldn’t have time to isolate when landing in Ireland

Shedite27 wrote: »
    All I have left is Idlewild in Button Factory in Nov. Slim chance I reckon, small numbers, could be moved to a larger venue. Main threat would be catching the disease from the band themselves, they wouldn’t have time to isolate when landing in Ireland

Jesus Idlewild blast back from the early 2000s

Think best thing for all concerts is to be postponed and then hope they can resume in early 2021.

Hopefully we might have an idea of vacancies/treatments soon

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0811/1158457-cabinet-sub-committee-on-covid-19/

Reading this not sounding promising for stuff such as gigs etc happening for 6-9 months

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0811/1158457-cabinet-sub-committee-on-covid-19/

Reading this not sounding promising for stuff such as gigs etc happening for 6-9 months

Outdoor stuff will be the first "entertainment" to come back "online", but I suspect they will want to see some sports operational (where they can use all-seaters to segregate, or simply have small numbers in individual stands) before they allow anything beyond a few hundred into concerts

I see there's some gigs in Newcaslte this week, you get a "pod" between a group of people, to maintain social distancing.

0_Sam-Fender-plays-first-socially-distanced-gig-in-Newcastle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I see there's some gigs in Newcaslte this week, you get a "pod" between a group of people, to maintain social distancing.

0_Sam-Fender-plays-first-socially-distanced-gig-in-Newcastle.jpg

Ah God. I applaud the effort but I don't think I could be doing with that. The music is just background noise, is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/uks-first-socially-distanced-gig-22505915
    Not bad if you get somewhere mid to front, but at the back is miles away.

mWjhk70.jpg
    8l5mgOD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

A few months ago I would have said no way, so grim

Now I’d give my right arm for it

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    A few months ago I would have said no way, so grim

Now I’d give my right arm for it

Yeah the same, I'd listen to the most depressing band ever atm. Just to have something to go too

Have a cracking 2021 to look forward too but ya know it could all go to ****

Cancelling should be the only option if concerts can't happen in early-mid 2021.

Advertisement