Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Hey boy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I'm quite excited about Murphy joining. Maybe we could get Payne as an assistant. However he may want the top job.

McCall is a nice thought but didnt he have unlimited money for years. Not saying he's not a great coach but how would he do under our budget restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 magic mike

I'd doubt he would come back to Ulster for all the tea in China the way he was humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think people are overrating how much being a good age grade coach is transferrable to running a province. Its a much bigger job. I'm totally happy him getting a shot as the interim but would be much happier with McCall as head coach/DOR in the cullen mode.

If not him it gets trickier but Payne would be high on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

You make a point of saying that many of these coaches were never head coaches before joining Ulster. But that's been the case with many coaches across the provinces. Michael Cheika might be described as having been a head coach before joining Leinster, but only if you squint a bit and look through your fingers. Certainly never at the level he jumped to. Joe Schmidt certainly wasn't and Leo Cullen also.

At Munster Declan Kidney came from Ire U19s in his first stint. Tony McGahan wasn't a head coach before Munster and neither were Johann van Graan or Axel Foley. Graham Rowntree had a season as Georgia's head coach, but debatable as to whether this qualifies as a full time head coach job.

At Connacht, Michael Bradley - nope, Eric Elwood - nope and Pete Wilkins - nope. Connacht surprisingly have had the most qualified head coaches of all the provinces: Pat Lam, Kieran Keane and Andy Friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

He might go, but I doubt it. As much because he'll want every single Irish cap he can get, having felt out in the cold for so long. Especially if Andy is happy for him to cover wing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Well said.

I hate the concept of experienced head coach etc.

No one has ever been a head coach.... until they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

McCloskey turns 32 at the start of next season. If it was me... Bayonne 2(?) year contract v Ulster/IRFU 2 year contract. I'd be jumping at the chance.

Get out of the turmoil of Ulster, young family, south of France, new career/life opportunities....

Massive loss for Ulster if it came to pass.

Aki IRFU contracted to end of 2025 season. Just turning 35. Maybe off to France then?

Henshaw IRFU also to 2025 season. He'll be turning 32. Maybe another IRFU/Leinster contract?

IRFU have a pair of Aces to play at 12. when it comes to contract negotiations over the next couple of years.

Osborne (22) and I'd imagine he'll be going to SA this summer. Size, Speed, Passing and left foot at 12.

Hugh Gavin (20). Also size and speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Hard opportunity to pass up really isn't it?

Not outside the realm of possibility but still unlikely he'll be at the next world cup.

He has his 6N winners medal from last year. The bookies will give generous odds on another one this year. Unlikely Ulster would be in the frame for anything soon.

200 odd Ulster caps and 20 odd International ones is a very good return for a fella who owes nothing and would be deserved chasing a payday in France

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With a bit of luck he'd even get to play at the pinnacle of rugby in the glorious Pro D2

Far from the first offer he's had from other teams. Hope he stays; we'll see.

• Administrators Posts: 53,415 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd say this is his last chance to get a pension though.

The irfu should be ensuring he doesn't leave.

We often play a third centre on the bench and we have 5 of them we trust. Its also a very attritional position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,179 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wouldn't begrudge him a move for more $. He's on the last 2 or 3 years of his career and he might be considering maximizing his earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I agree I think he will stay but in saying that his value may be pretty high at the moment.

Completely agreed. He's been in a much bigger shop window, playing for Ireland since Schmidt left. I'm sure he's on a lot more radars. He is still contracted a year, and since Ulster's financial issues are out in the open, I'm sure Bayonne thought there's no harm in offering a buy-out, the club might prioritise the money.

Surely, though, Ireland could top up his wages? I know we don't have the dedicated in-house cheerleading squad of Munster, but come on - if they're topping up Zebo's wages, they can top up Big Stu's.

Were topping up Zebos wages. His first contract was a one year with an IRFU top up. Since that, hes moved to a 2 year provincial contract

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The key skill that Murphy clearly has is being able to quickly establish a team ethos and spirit within a group of players.

Each year, barring a handful of returning players, he's building a squad from scratch a and does so very successfully

Right now I think he's exactly what Ulster need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

100%, there is absolutely no way McCloskey should be left leave Ireland if it’s a question of salary.

Bundee is fantastic but he’s only one minor knock away from Stu starting. And arguably Stu should be getting the odd start regardless.

Ringrose and Henshaw should be dedicated to covering 13, Aki and McCloskey to covering 12. It’s a no-brainer, they are the clear 4 best centres at the moment, I would have Bundee and Ringrose on CC, and Stu and Henshaw on Provincial with centralised top-up to amount to the near enough the same thing as a CC.

I could see Stu moving to a CC outright on his next contract, Bundee will surely be moving off his CC on the next contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I could see Stu moving to a CC outright on his next contract, Bundee will surely be moving off his CC on the next contract.

He might be a bit on the old side? But certainly seems a candidate for the PONI at least.

Always have a lot of time for McCloskey. If he leaves Ulster it is a sign of a very significant problem.

Apologies. I have zero idea how he warranted any kind of IRFU top up for any period, but there you are.

Yeah, I love him, but no way Stu should be getting a CC, especially after another season on a provincial contract still to go.

I reckon Henshaw is still seen as a 12, albeit the one that can move one out, where Stu and Bundee can't particularly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Yeah, I think he is that important to Ulster that the money needs to be found. However if he just wants 2 or 3 years in the sun in a change of scenery then there isn't much we can do about that. But as you say if he's getting caps for Ireland still then I suspect he'd want to stay. Farrell clearly likes him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Wegians89

No way he gets a CC after Bundee, Henshaw will be ahead of him in the pecking order and you have younger centres in Osbourne and Forde who will be pushing very hard for Irish caps during the lions tour. They will be seen as better investments than giving Stu a CC in two years. Not to mention if Gavin takes to senior rugby quickly.

With McFarland gone, I'd fully expect Hume to come back into the reckoning.

I think he's good as an interim for sure.

Otherwise, building a squad from scratch each year isn't actually what you do provincially. That's one of the things that doesn't transfer over.

Assuming McCloskey would be being bought out (he isn't out of contract until next year) and that this is a money saving thing, i think the irfu need to step in.

He's not a central contract player but he's important depth at a very important position for how we play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Ulster: Will Addison; Ethan McIlroy, James Hume (capt), Jude Postlethwaite, Mike Lowry; Billy Burns, John Cooney; Steven Kitshoff, Tom Stewart, Tom O'Toole; Cormac Izuchukwu, Harry Sheridan, David McCann, Marcus Rea, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: John Andrew, Andrew Warwick, Scott Wilson, Kieran Treadwell, Sean Reffell, Nathan Doak, Luke Marshall, Jacob Stockdale

Advertisement