Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭launish116

For me, It's 7) Reidy 8) Nakarawa and 6) ?

Hard yards Rea, defending Jones.

Once Coetzee leaves, we literally have no one nailed down in a position. A lot of opportunity!

We’re kinda screwed if Nakarawa doesn’t perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,766 ✭✭✭✭bilston

By next season...I'd hope

6 Nakarawa
    7 Murphy
    8 McCann

But happy for Timoney to start at 8 if McCann needs more experience. Reidy and Murphy can swap in at 7, and then its just a form call really. Rea and Jones can fill in when necessary.

Its not looking great for Allison or Marcus Rea at this stage. It would be interesting to see Sheridan and Crothers at some stage next year.

bilston wrote: »
    By next season...I'd hope

6 Nakarawa
    7 Murphy
    8 McCann

But happy for Timoney to start at 8 if McCann needs more experience. Reidy and Murphy can swap in at 7, and then its just a form call really. Rea and Jones can fill in when necessary.

Its not looking great for Allison or Marcus Rea at this stage. It would be interesting to see Sheridan and Crothers at some stage next year.

Marcus Rea got one more year I think? He’s probably the closet thing we have to a ground hog open side?

Shame on Allison looked good at U20, just seems to be plagued with injuries. Still think he’s worth a punt in long run.

Sheridan looked very good for academy.

Little wary for Crothers.

launish116 wrote: »
    Marcus Rea got one more year I think? He’s probably the closet thing we have to a ground hog open side?

Shame on Allison looked good at U20, just seems to be plagued with injuries. Still think he’s worth a punt in long run.

Sheridan looked very good for academy.

Little wary for Crothers.

Yeah, just concerned for Rea in that he is about 23 now and just doesn't seem to be making any headway. I've liked what I've seen of him.

Its a bit of a vicious circle in a way. Leinster bring through exciting back rows every other year, but the thing is there are more opportunities because they have 3 or 4 guys in the Irish squad. At Ulster the likes of Rea and Allison, even Greg Jones don't get the same chances. That said if they're good enough they'll should still make the breakthrough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Yeah - and Marcus was 24th man going across to Glasgow. Seems to be being introduced cautiously, but I wouldn't by any stretch write him off just yet.

• Advertisement

Yeah - and Marcus was 24th man going across to Glasgow. Seems to be being introduced cautiously, but I wouldn't by any stretch write him off just yet.

Maybe not, but he's 23 and has played 3 times for Ulster. McCann has the same number of caps and is 3 years younger than him.

But as I say he just needs opportunities. He has done well anytime he has played.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I'd go 6 Nakarawa, 7 Reidy, 8 Murphy.
    Backups: 6 Marcus Rea/McCann/D O'Connor, 7 Timoney/Allison/Crothers, 8. Matty Rea/Jones

Loads of options.

Maybe not, but he's 23 and has played 3 times for Ulster. McCann has the same number of caps and is 3 years younger than him.

But as I say he just needs opportunities. He has done well anytime he has played.

Thought he fared quite well also, definitely warranted more chances.

Wonder will Dan, focus on Izzy more now.

Almost wish we knew a final was gone, and for e are hand.

Biggest issue is lack for A game time. Must be hard balancing senior game time as well as introducing players.

Backups: 6 Marcus Rea/McCann/D O'Connor, 7 Timoney/Allison/Crothers, 8. Matty Rea/Jones

Loads of options.

Interesting

I don't think Jordi has played 8 for us yet? I dont remember it anyway.

Thought he fared quite well also, definitely warranted more chances.

Wonder will Dan, focus on Izzy more now.

Almost wish we knew a final was gone, and for e are hand.

Biggest issue is lack for A game time. Must be hard balancing senior game time as well as introducing players.

I know what you mean. It feels like we will be doing everything we can to reach the final when the reality is that Leinster are just going to be out of reach.

I hope the Rainbow Cup goes ahead, plus we have the Challenge Cup too. So with any luck there are still loads of games left

• Advertisement

Loads of options.

That looks a wee bit jumbled to me.

Timoney played 8 for us the season Coetzee was injured, and I think went there against Glasgow when Coetzee went off. I also don't know if Rea ha splayed 8 for us? I'd say, preferred roles:

Timoney: 8 > 6
    Murphy: 7 > 8 > 6
    Reidy: 7 > 6
    Rea: 6 > 4
    Jones: 6
    Rea Jr: 7 > 8 (made his debut for us there)
    McCann: 6 > 8

Disclaimer: But who the hell knows anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

For me, firts choice backrow is

7) Reidy
    6) Rea
    8) Nakarawa

Maybe that's unfair on Murphy, who seems to be coming more to the fore now. If he continues in this form, put him at seven and swap Reidy for Rea. Although, only a matter of time before McCann makes the six jersey his own, seemingly.

Sorry Paul, but what sort of bass ackwards way of naming a back row is this? :D

Bazzo wrote: »
    Sorry Paul, but what sort of bass ackwards way of naming a back row is this? :D

It's how all the cool kids do it.

Silly question but has Nakarawa much form playing 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

2 year central contract for Henderson

Good to lock down the Ireland captain for two more years.

Challenge Cup: London Irish, Ospreys, Leicester Tigers, Cardiff Blues, Zebre Rugby Club, Agen, Benetton Rugby, Newcastle Falcons, Ulster Rugby, Connacht Rugby, Northampton Saints, Bath Rugby, Montpellier, Dragons, Harlequins, Glasgow Warriors.  

Can be drawn against team, bar a Pro14 side.

Fate will have it be London Irish. Revenge of Paddy & Les.

Challenge Cup: London Irish, Ospreys, Leicester Tigers, Cardiff Blues, Zebre Rugby Club, Agen, Benetton Rugby, Newcastle Falcons, Ulster Rugby, Connacht Rugby, Northampton Saints, Bath Rugby, Montpellier, Dragons, Harlequins, Glasgow Warriors.  

Can be drawn against team, bar a Pro14 side.

Fate will have it be London Irish. Revenge of Paddy & Les.

Do we know when the draw is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Do we know when the draw is?

March 9th

Apparently Baloucoune is very close - outside chance of the bench this week, if I've picked it up right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Apparently Baloucoune is very close - outside chance of the bench this week, if I've picked it up right.

Thank goodness, Earls hasn't been up to standard and Lowe is poor defensively. Guess ulster can manage without him ;)

• Advertisement

Thank goodness, Earls hasn't been up to standard and Lowe is poor defensively. Guess ulster can manage without him ;)

Ah yes - the Henderson route of Ireland game - injured - Ireland game - Ireland game - injured - Ireland game - Ireland game - Ulster game - injured - Ireland game

Ulster team to play Ospreys, Guinness PRO14 Round 13, Friday 26 February at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 8pm, live on Premier Sports / eir Sport):

(15-9) Michael Lowry, Rob Lyttle, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Ian Madigan, John Cooney;

(1-8) Andrew Warwick, John Andrew, Marty Moore, Alan O’Connor, Kieran Treadwell, Greg Jones, Jordi Murphy (Capt.), Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Adam McBurney, Eric O’Sullivan, Ross Kane, Cormac Izuchukwu, Sean Reidy, Alby Mathewson, Matt Faddes, Robert Baloucoune.

A lot going on!

Reidy back! Baloucoune back! Izzy on bench again!

Very happy with that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

is McCann injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Baloucoune back fit. This weekend keeps getting better.

bayern wrote: »
    is McCann injured?

Maybe needing Reidy up to speed.

Is Rea Snr injured? He’s just vanished.

bayern wrote: »
    is McCann injured?

Probably being saved for post-Leinster games.

We've Dragons and Zebre after Leinster, and currently, some of our first choice players have had one game in the last six weeks, some haven't played at all. Not the time.

The more curious absence is Carter.

Bloody hell! Stockdale! hadn't even spotted that.

Actually, Carter isn't picked cause we've got Mathewson and Faddes there. can't have three non-European or Kolpak players

• Advertisement

Bloody hell! Stockdale! hadn't even spotted that.

Playing wing as well.

12c and sunny tomorrow as well...dry tomorrow night...

That backline could have some fun

Advertisement