Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

njburke wrote: »
    I have a couple of casio Oceanus, it has tough movement printed on the dial not that i'ld believe everything written on a watch face.

What do we think is doing the damage, the shock transmitted through the golf club to the wrist?

That's a great watch, love seeing photos of it. The OCW-S4000S is amazing looking too, saw a few on reddit but you're looking at €2k

https://youtu.be/geFpSgWAZc0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cienciano wrote: »
    That's a great watch, love seeing photos of it. The OCW-S4000S is amazing looking too, saw a few on reddit but you're looking at €2k

https://youtu.be/geFpSgWAZc0

As it happens I'm wearing my 'tough solar' Casio Wave Ceptor which cost about €75 delivered. May have to pay a few euros more as I got mine on sale.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    I find that every quartz I ever owned stopped working after a few years.
    1970 quartz. Earlier.

537437.jpg

To be fair, a very bad example of quartz longevity. Working ones of these are daftly rare. Even Longines themselves don't seem to have one(their advert for their new VHP quartz had one and the second hand ticks, the real deal sweeps). They're as robust as a butterfly wing in a cement mixture. :D

The Da's early 80's VHP quartz still going.

537438.jpg

Though again to be fair I remember it tapping out a year or so after he bought it. Stink was kicked up with the AD of the time. Got the bum's rush from them so he rang Longines in Switzerland directly. Nothing now, but I remember that being so bloody cool as a kid. :D To their credit, they got it sorted pronto(stuck an updated movement in it). I remember him ringing or writing to Longines a few times and every time they came back to him and always sorted him out and had a chat with it. :) I remember one occasion where he was asked to come into a jewellers in Dublin to meet a Swiss chap from Longines. And the guy had actually brought my dad's 50's example that had been sent back for service with him. I thought that was so cool. :) It's why I always liked the brand and my dealings with their vintage folks over the years since has backed that up.

My dad's 78 Seiko.

537439.jpg

Still going. However I remember it went kaput in short order, but the jeweller sorted it. And it's been perfect since! *twitches*

Hang on, :eek: Fitz, ya bollex... I've only gone and just kinda agreed with you! :mad::D:D

I suppose like most electronic stuff they can have a binary failure rate. They either work or they don't. I've also known two people, mates of mine, that specifically bought mechanical watches way back in the day when they were an anachronism, because quartz watches wouldn't last more than a few months on their wrist. I've heard tell of that a few times down the years. Perfectly normal folks who wouldn't be hard on things around them who seem to break quartz watches by simply wearing them. :confused: You might be one of those Fitz? Not necessarily including the normal bit of course. :P:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Thats what makes me so irritating Wibbs, there is always a nugget of truth behind my rants.

Any mechanical or electronic watch can fail for any reason. I am not hard on my watches, I take them off for manual labour, gym etc. I actually work around strong, magnetic fields all the time with CT scanners and other X-ray equipment, never any issues with any watch but I am not one to check the accuracy of my watches as I rotate so much they are mostly freshl set or only a few days old. My point on the quartz stopping working is that the batteries run out :)

This idea of a "tool watch" is an anathema to me especially in luxury watches. There is no mechanical watch as durable or accurate as a quartz in the short to medium term and no quartz as useful and tool like as the phone in your pocket.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thats what makes me so irritating Wibbs, there is always a nugget of truth behind my rants.

Any mechanical or electronic watch can fail for any reason. I am not hard on my watches, I take them off for manual labour, gym etc. I actually work around strong, magnetic fields all the time with CT scanners and other X-ray equipment, never any issues with any watch but I am not one to check the accuracy of my watches as I rotate so much they are mostly freshl set or only a few days old. My point on the quartz stopping working is that the batteries run out :)

This idea of a "tool watch" is an anathema to me especially in luxury watches. There is no mechanical watch as durable or accurate as a quartz in the short to medium term and no quartz as useful and tool like as the phone in your pocket.

I don't want to start a big debate on this, but Damasko has come pretty close to perfect for me. Have to say 'touch wood,' I've never dropped it on a tiled floor though, but I did wear it using a chainsaw. :o

I think with golf it's the sudden stop that does the damage, bit like a car crash I suppose.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

blue5000 wrote: »
    I think with golf it's the sudden stop that does the damage, bit like a car crash I suppose.

What sudden stop?

I can see how there is a shock when the club hits the ball, but if the soft tissues of us weak humans can handle that no problem, then a sturdy tool watch should too, or it is not fit for purpose.

I've never had any intention of taking my watch off for some rough action. Yeah maybe for something dirty like cement mixing. But that's about it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

I have a thing for field watches and take great satisfaction in owning one that can trace its lineage back to military issue watches that saw action in the jungles of Vietnam. Then I remember I have a sink full of washing-up to deal with and take my watch off first in case it gets scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Some interesting posts. I was gifted a new TaylorMade 3 wood for Christmas. Harder impact than my old 3 wood do maybe this was the case that it had an effect. I've a few hundred in a tin, twas to be my new watch fund over the next 18 months. Looks like I'll be raiding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,032 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well if your seamaster is 10 years old and it hasn't had a service, it was overdue one anyway in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

unkel wrote: »
    Well if your seamaster is 10 years old and it hasn't had a service, it was overdue one anyway in fairness.

No, I had gotten it full serviced by Omega in March just gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

No, I had gotten it full serviced by Omega in March just gone.

1) worth trying demagnetising tool first. They are cheap. 20/30 quid. If that don’t work......

2) your watch is under warranty. Play dumb. Don’t mention golf, don’t mention trying to demagnetise. Return under warranty.....I am a school teacher...I take good care off my watch...it got no bang or anything....etc

1. Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Not sure if it's a bargain or not as I don't follow their prices so much - but I see Weirs are offering 20% off some Breitlings and Tudors currently (amongst others like Bvlgari):
      https://weirandsons.ie/sale/outlet/luxury-watch-offers.html

2. Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Thirdfox wrote: »
      Not sure if it's a bargain or not as I don't follow their prices so much - but I see Weirs are offering 20% off some Breitlings and Tudors currently (amongst others like Bvlgari):
      https://weirandsons.ie/sale/outlet/luxury-watch-offers.html

Yeah saw that earlier, the Tudor Heritage Chrono looks nice.

3. Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

First time making an offer on Chrono and later withdrawing it and was wondering if you guys who are on there a lot think I did wrong.

Made an offer that was the asking price but inclusive of postage from Italy and after a day he wanted my address so he could check how much it would cost to send, then about 30 hours after sending him my address I still hadn't heard so decided to withdraw my offer and sent him a message to that effect.

Is it normal for sellers to leave you hanging? Should I have waited?

4. Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

First time making an offer on Chrono and later withdrawing it and was wondering if you guys who are on there a lot think I did wrong.

Made an offer that was the asking price but inclusive of postage from Italy and after a day he wanted my address so he could check how much it would cost to send, then about 30 hours after sending him my address I still hadn't heard so decided to withdraw my offer and sent him a message to that effect.

Is it normal for sellers to leave you hanging? Should I have waited?

If its this time of year, the chap might have family or holidays going on for christmas. Professional dealer or private seller?

5. Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

If its this time of year, the chap might have family or holidays going on for christmas. Professional dealer or private seller?

Private seller.

6. Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Private seller.

Yeah, its a busy time of year, and Italians take religious holidays, drinking and family super seriously. Might have just been busy. Unlike me with nothing to do but drink beer and check the internet. :D

7. Registered Users Posts: 16,561 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dealing with Mediterranean folk takes patience at the best of times tbh.
      I know there is the trope of mañana but it really does hold true.
      Particularly at Lent, August and December, it's not that they are on a go slow.
      Rather that come August, everything "official" stops, so they do too ;)
      And in December it's all about mad Xmas traditions and family that but ours to shame.

On the matter of slow watches tho.
      I have an IWC that was sent from Singapore on the 25/11 and is still showing in bloody Liepzig for some reason :(
      The buyer has been spot on and is all set to refund but I'm hoping DHL sort out whatever the issue is and get it on its way to me.

8. Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

In my experience, despite the protections, there are a lot of time wasters on Chrono24.

I've had offers several times that I have accepted, sent a binding offer, as suggested, only for people to go to ground.

Another time I was at the very end stage with a Chinese buyer only to be notified by admins that the type of transfer on offer as payment was unreliable and was not going to be acceptable for the escrow service.

Now, I have bought through Chrono24 too, and even though there were issues, the service from the site was excellent.

But despite all the protections, it is still a site that needs caution.

9. Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

You guys are making me feel like some American in Europe walking out of a restaurant because he was kept waiting 10 minutes for his soup to arrive. lol

10. Advertisement
    11. Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Don’t ever fight a court case in Italy :D - while Americans find our commercial courts slow at maybe 6 months to 1.5 years to resolve an Italian case can take 3..4..5...7 years to go through the system ;)

By the by we’re actually quite proud that we can get a commercial case through commercial court in around a year actually - apparently that’s pretty fast (compared internationally).

@Banie - hope your package turns up... One of the Starlight review models went to Mexico (which I was warned about and last time tracking updated was 27 November...) I do hear they have Covid issues too...

12. Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Came across this article about shopping for watches in Japan [Link]

EfpmTdT.png

I know where I'm going on my next holiday!........ Whenever that may be :D

13. Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I know where I'm going on my next holiday!........ Whenever that may be :D

Here's a guy I watch on YouTube, Austin Daniels, american expat into rolex in particular. He does regular video walkabouts of tokyo and the suburban towns. Goes through the display cases and prices, picks the good value from the poor. He know his rolex models and points things out like a flat 4 kermit. He gives the shop names, nearest train station etc. If you're going to go it might whittle down the legwork. I'ld say if you emailed him for a one day watch shopping itinerary he would answer. Tourist pay a lower price, no tax with passport.
      Another thing I like is he doesn't push for subscriptions or patreon, he seems to do it for the enjoyment.

https://youtu.be/YItaMEUd9Y4

14. Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

njburke wrote: »
      Here's a guy I watch on YouTube, Austin Daniels, american expat into rolex in particular.

Thanks for the tip! Japan is defiantly somewhere I hope to visit someday. The Seiko museum I would need to allow myself half a day alone! :) Looks like I will have plenty of time to plan it with at the moment.

After watching that video with all those Rolex, I'm wondering if Unkel will be in the seat beside me on the next available flight! :D

15. Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm having an issue with the time keeping of my Nomos in that it is keeping erratic time in a predictable sort of way. It's my first manual wind watch but I am presuming it shouldn't be anything related to that. If I wind in the morning, it is keeping close to COSC accuracy for the entire day (say about 14 hours of wear) but then when I go to sleep and wake up its losing about 5 mins over night. This has happened the last three days in a row. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here or is this very unusual? The power reserve is something like 42 hours so it should not be related to that.

Edit: I think me being an idiot is having a role to play. I never looked at the hours hand when resetting the minutes, the thing must have stopped at around three this morning lol. Clearly I need to get used to manual winds a bit better but I am convinced I still have an overnight time loss issue as it happened the previous nights. I am presuming when winding you should stop when it starts getting stiff to wind? It shouldn't have stopped that soon unless I am not fully winding when I think I am. I don't want to damage it.

16. Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

Do you leave it in the same position every night? E.g on its side or face up/down? It’s an unusual issue with a manual wind I would have thought.

17. Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Homer wrote: »
      Do you leave it in the same position every night? E.g on its side or face up/down? It’s an unusual issue with a manual wind I would have thought.

I tend to leave my watches on when I sleep so it would be on my wrist but relatively stationary I would have thought.

18. Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Presuming you don't wear your mechanical watch when asleep I would wind when I put it on and again when taking it off.

19. Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Presuming you don't wear your mechanical watch when asleep I would wind when I put it on and again when taking it off.

I do but I'll give this suggestion a go for a few days and see how I get on. There's no lume on it so there's no logical reason for leaving it on other than laziness. Hopefully it's just an issue of me not winding it enough.

20. Advertisement
    21. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

redlead wrote: »
      Hopefully it's just an issue of me not winding it enough.
      Could be this? Do you wind it until you can't wind it any more? It should have plenty of reserve over 24 hours on a full wind. A friend of mine inherited a handwind watch and he asked me to look at it because it was losing time and it turned out he wasn't winding it fully. He had the worry of "overwinding" it and breaking it. Unless you're a highland gorilla :D or take a pliers to the crown you can't overwind a watch.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement