Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I went down to Cap3000 in Nice this morning with the missus to see if there was any chance of getting a Snoopy moonswatch. There was a queue outside the shopping centre which we joined, but they had all sold out within minutes. They did take everybody's name and phone number so who knows! It was interesting to observe the people in the queue, mostly age 20 to 35 at a guess (I'm the far side of 50), I say would quite a few looking to resell. There was another queue outside the shop itself, so it was pretty well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Indeed, the young gentleman was definitely under 30, but there was also a chap with some kind of rose gold accessorised GShock. Not to my taste, but a chunky number for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The only watch youtuber I ever find myself watching is talking timepieces. I find he usually has an interesting take on topics and it's nearly always about the watch rather than hype or clout.

He's had a factory tour of Sinn and will be posting a couple of videos. This one starts out with an interview with the head of Sinn's surface treatments, tegimentation, bead blasting and polishing shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ah but I miss the fast cars and loose women we used to get from tpg

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I bought the below. I love the case design from that era but wouldn't ever put down the sort of money the original watches are commanding. Steeldive had largely passed me by but I came across them on YouTube recently and did a quick search of Boards. It seems people don't generally have anything negative to say about them. I saw @banie01 and others mention them, so a quick trip to AliExpress and this'll hopefully arrive later next month. Really looking forward to it:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone else get the below from P&P

I wanted to reach out this afternoon to offer you the oppourtunity of being on a Broadcast list with myself here at Pride & Pinion for some incredible offers.

I constantly have a lot of watches coming across my desk that we would need to sell on quickly and we are able to offer these watches out under market value so a great opportunity to be had on a regular basis for our valued clients like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

No.

I tried to do business with them last year, but they were really hard to deal with. No show for online meetings, never call you back, not responding by email. So I gave up, and not sure what to make of them now.

the above message wouldnt inspire confidence would it!

looks like pride and pinion don’t want to hold stock for long which is not a good sign

A mix up by my aunt a couple of weeks ago, well intentioned so can't get too mad over it. I sent my Omega GMT up to NI, to have it forwarded on to a watch polisher in the UK.

My uncle is my usual post handler but he's away in the IOM. My aunt decided that RMSD was Royal Mail Signed Delivery, Rather than Special Delivery.

So the watch was posted with £20 insurance cover🤦‍♀️ It's also an untracked service so despite having a 13 digit tracking number? It only confirms posting, only other tracking points, is the signature on delivery.

Have been in touch with Royal Mail and hopefully it's either delivered or RTSd soon.

Might light a candle or borrow a child of Prague 🤣

• Advertisement

it will be fine, the chances of a tracked item going missing is extremely slim with Royal Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Rapid growth , rapid increase in overheads , expensive office fit out. They have all the ingredients for a business to run into problems and in the watch market of all markets ..I’d say it’s only a matter of time till the writing is on the wall .Nico‘s you tube and social media “ fame” might help them lure some investors in but he’s started his car you tube and seems to be prioritising that now.

Thanks, I'm not overly worried, my aunt is devastated but sure worse things happen at sea. It's only signed delivery but it's addressed and has a return on it too so it'll show up. It's just on an adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭893bet

that reminds me of that club timepiece gentleman tried to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I think he saw the writing on the wall and started diversifing into cars alright. Half the watch youtube channels did, they all changed their names from something watch related to their own names all of a sudden He is doing a lot of "colabs" with big car youtubers. He knows very little about cars, and he modifies his cars a lot (and badly) after years of telling us a modified watch was a mortal sin. But watch youtube is dead as the dodo

I saw him getting on the mat Armstrong band wagon a while back alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SullivanBalou

Hi all, just a quick hello & introduction. I’ve been observing the forum without ever posting for a while. Finally felt it was time to register & contribute. Some great watches on here. I’ll try post a few photos of my own when I get time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Welcome, @SullivanBalou,

good to have you aboard.

hello @sullivanbalou looking forward to seeing what you have

• Advertisement

Welcome aboard @sullivanbalou look forward to seeing your watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi all,

I’d some good news lately and I’m considering buying a new watch (because the fate of the universe depends on me doing so).

I’ve set a budget at €3,000 but could go a few hundred above if it was really worth it.

I seem to primarily like dive watches. The only watch I own is an OceanX Sharkmaster 1000 (SMS1014), which is great in terms of dial design, legibility and heft. My wrist circumference is 18.5cm/7.5”.

My grail watch is a sea dweller; very far from achievable at that price point.

I dislike busy faces on watches e.g chronographs etc. also because they’re functions I’ll never use (ironically I like the speedmaster 😊).

Current favourites are the sea dweller, Sinn U1, Breitling Superocean 44 (the version without numerals on the face) and a few others, Mido Oceanstar (chronometer) for example.

Watches I dislike: tag heuer aquaracer (looks like a €500 watch for €3k), Tissot seastar (too round). I’ve tried on the Seamaster 300 which fits really well and it’s clearly a high quality product but the overall design isn’t for me (specifically the two crowns) the Bond watch thing is a negative for me.

A metal bracelet is essential, I dislike leather and rubber straps (granted I’ve never had high end watches).

I’d appreciate if the watch could hold some value as I really think I’ll ultimately buy a sea dweller down the line. The Breitling seems expensive for what it is, is that a fair assessment?

I’m very open to suggestions so please fire away your opinions. I’ll respond to your suggestions to narrow it down.

Im assuming pre owned?

Omega Planet Ocean, Tudor Pelagos, Breitling superocean heritage?

Both pre-owned and new are OK with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Some nice Breitling but they seem to be a harder sell than some omega and rolex.. although watches are all a hard sell at the moment.. good time to be buying..

The Tudor Pelagos looks really great.

Are they all titanium or is it just certain variants?

I’ve seen left and right handed crowns, is there some distinction between them I should be aware of?

Also, they’re ~€3200 pre-owned or €5k new; any significant things I should watch out for if buying 2nd hand?

Post edited by Iguarantee on

yes the pelagos are all titanium, think of it as tudors sea dweller.

There are a few different models now, the destro (crown on other side) and some fixed lug fxd models, probs some decent YouTube videos explaining the variants, I like the regular one personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Earliest models have an ETA movement, these are identifiable by two lines of text on the dial. They switched to in-house (5 line dial) in 2015. Older dial looks better to my eye, but I’d rather have the longer power reserve.

There’s an issue, up to fairly recently, where the lume could fall out of the 42 ( not the FXD).

The (older) 2-line dial looks much nicer in my opinion. They’re ~€2k cheaper than a new 42mm. I’m actually considering buy the watch new, there only seems to be a €250 saving between an authorised dealer and Chrono24 for a new Pelagos 42mm.

Am I better off going into Keanes/Weirs or is Chrono24 safe enough to use?

The new 42mm appears to be COSC certified; I’m assuming the older model isn’t? (Not sure why I’d care other than it’s technically move advanced which means it could be more accurate and maybe retain its value better).

Is the newer movement on the 5-line dial more reliable?

Maybe I’ll ultimately buy a sea dweller in the future but I’m looking at this next watch I buy as a lifetime watch i.e. I want to get decades out of it hence why I ask about reliability.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

• Advertisement

Its arrived✌️

I can finally unclench and stop pretending I wasn't too worried about the missing watch! The foibles of Royal Mail and however the NI/GB transfers are currently working seem to have slowed post considerably for anything not sent as Special/guaranteed delivery.

Advertisement