Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Yeah as you say within a couple of minutes per day is fine .The likes of that San Martin being accurate is just a fluke , nothing to do with being a quality watch.If it’s accuracy was shite they would still sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭micks_address

If I'm paying over 500 euro for an automatic and it's a couple of minutes out per day I'd be annoyed by it.. the Seiko sla I had was a 2.5k watch and it was super accurate.. it's kinda frustrating how San Martin can put a cheap Seiko movement in their watch which is more accurate than Seiko put in their 1k offerings.. not sure about it being a fluke.. friend bought his after his son got one that is super accurate as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Just buy watches that are COSC or Metas so, but I find inaccuracy's cannot annoy you if you dont check for them. How long a San Martin will stay accurate for is another matter....but the answer is probably long past the owners fleeting interest in it....

There's quite a big difference between cosc and three minutes a day...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you sit at a desk all day accuracy shouldn't be the be all and end all.

Unless you're on active operations in the military or using dead reckoning to navigate an airplane or boat, what does it matter if you're even a couple of minutes off a day? We all have phones now anyway.

That being said accuracy wouldn't be the reason I wouldn't buy a Chinese watch.

• Advertisement

If accuracy is what you’re into , the GS quartz you have is pretty much as good as it gets ,The San Martin is not in the same league .Th GS is designed and built to be accurate , the san Martin is copied and stuck together to make money.I would personally take a 60quid seiko 5 over that San Martin any day.

COSC and metas requirements aren’t exceptional either , 4/5 seconds or similar .Probably achieving a lot better in real world but still poor compared to quartz .Trick is to wear a different watch every day and you won’t pay attention to inaccuracies or other annoyances

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Best thing about San Martin is it annoys the watch snobs 🤭

100% nothing annoys the watch snob like seeing somebody else wear an inferior watch. Watch snobs want everyone to wear the same quality watch as they do, thats what makes them feel special. The cynic might think the snob would enjoy a feeling of pride and superiority knowing another lacks their taste and resources, but it just makes them mad and annoyed.

Best thing about having monkey pox is how annoyed it makes your one night stand when you tell them in the morning. Raging they are the suckers🤣

Buy a cosc or metas watch instead of a 2.5k Seiko if you want assurity you will get a mechanical watch that keeps time to your sanctification. Frankly I dont care about it at all, I often wear a watch without the date or time set at all and might not notice for a week. Or I set the time off the Oven clock that was set some time 5 years ago by a 12 year old after a fuse blew ...

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭893bet

I have a couple of manual wind in rotation now and have gotten to late afternoon before realising it had ran out of reserve……before I put it on that morning.

Using your watch to tell the time is almost novel these days 😄

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This is on vintage stuff mind you but I use accuracy as a measure of potential issues or wear and tear. So unless it's some pin pallet cheap yoke from back in the day I'd expect a "good watch" from one of the known brands to be pretty accurate, sub 30 seconds per day kinda thing, better than that if it was more pricey when new and isn't worn out. As Artanevilla notes we all have universal atomic time all around us these days, but back in the day they didn't so a decent watch was meant to be an accurate watch and you see quite the talk of accuracy in old print ads. So for me accuracy = condition and original quality.

And even though I have a phone and laptop, I automatically look to my wrist for the time, so there's that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Cut throat razors, hand written letters, postcards, landlines, horses, vinyl records, mechanical watches, steam trains, retro gaming, petrol engine cars, discussion boards like here....all things thats primary function has been so surpassed in quality, convenience and performance by a more modern alternative, that their use is more for nostalgia, romance and love of the flaws in function than the use itself. To try and make them as good as their modern alternative is to remove one of their primary draws. I find mechanical watches that are designed within an inch of their lives for accuracy to totally miss the point

I kinda find this interesting.. is the watch more fashion than watch if timekeeping isn't it's primary function? Again I don't want people to think I'm crazy about accuracy but I don't think it's to much to ask for a mechanical watch costing over 1k to be relatively accurate over a week.. I really noticed it with the Seiko spb I had.. would look at it and suddenly it was 2 minutes slow.. it wasn't making me late for everything but just bugged me.. I think accuracy sort of comes for free once you spending 5k or more.. omega cosc or Rolex etc.. the Seiko sla043 I had was pretty much bang on to... I've never put a watch on a timegrapher

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would have said that was pretty poor timekeeping.

I love wearing my Boldr Venture, but hate that I have to fix the time every few days as it runs approx 60sec slow every 30hrs or so. I thought that was a terrible standard of accuracy, but perhaps its not uncommon?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I generally rotate my watches every 3/4 days. I am one of those Philistines who sleeps with their watch on 😳 I also generally have a tracker on my right wrist but over the last few years of being sucked into the watch hobby by ye lot?

I always glance at my left wrist 1st, then check the accuracy versus my miband and smile if it's within a minute🤔

My watches are jewellery, they are I suppose form over function and it's only a small cohort that feel the same way. We aren't mad, we're just interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

So based on the reaction to the San Martin , what's the feeling about the Nomad Black Bay Homage

How is it priced at STG750 ?

€900 ???Mad money , At least the San Martin can call itself a budget option. Who buys these and thinks that they are a better option than a Seiko ?Every seiko in the €200 -€1000 range is better than it.

Is the Seiko better than it because it's a Seiko? The San Martin I looked at had a better bracelet, better bezel action, precise bezel alignment and more accurate than any Seiko auto I've handled in the sub 1k bracket..

Is the Seiko better than it because it's a Seiko?

Yes . How can you compare one of the biggest watch brands with a company that copies other watches.

Seiko have history, more innovations than majority of other watch brands , have a financial watch ladder to climb from Seiko 5 up to Creedor. Are completely in house inc. batteries and their quartz.

What is the reason to wear a San Martin ? There’s no craftsmanship, no history, no personal reward for your hard work , no financial sacrifice, there’s nothing . Cheap pointless tat is all it is .

San Martin make such blatant copies of other brands watches that they make steinhart look original . Where does it all stop ?Sure why bother with legit watches at all if the €200 copies can give us the same thing .

If san martin are acceptable what about Pagani design ?Thats cheaper again or we could go full fake watch but they most likely cost more than a San Martin.

Not everyone cares about a a companies history, innovation and all that. I have €400 to spend. Is x piece of metal better quality than y piece of metal. Steinhart are recommend a lot for that reason.

• Advertisement

That’s fair enough , you and I obviously collect watches for different reasons.And before I might get lumped in with the” watch snobs “ brigade , my collection shows clearly that I am not in that category.

But if you don’t care about history , innovation etc , what do you care about when buying a watch ? Timekeeping is out cause a f91w is as good as it gets and no need for anything more .Brand recognition is out cause are San Martin and similar really are brand ?? .So that’s history, innovation , timekeeping , brand recognition and prestige all out .What’s left ? Why bother buying a watch ?

Is x piece of metal better quality than y piece of metal.

Maybe but both x and y pieces of metal are surpassed by a watch made of a combination of soft and hard PUR.

Well, you can always question someones reasons by saying "well, if you like x why do you do y". Literally everyone on this board will buy something that normally they wouldn't or something that goes against what they normally say. I think none of it makes sense really, i mean what about spending €15k on a watch and selling it for €12k a couple of years later? Makes sense to some but mental to others.

I think all we can do is to try and be respectful of different peoples tastes because everyone is going to be into different shít

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

I see Rolex have announced their first titanium watch, for anyone who wants water resistance to 11000m. 50mm! That’s going to be some lump on the wrist. €26400 is the list price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Have decided to treat myself to a watch this Christmas and im thinking of maybe getting a Spinnaker. I have never heard of them before but they have started popping up on my instagram ads etc. Are these a good brand? I do like the look of them. Steinhart is also an option, i was going to buy one pre covid and wish i did as i see the price has increased on them quite a bit.

dont know much about spinnaker but have two steinhart.. first thing most people will say is steinhart equals homage equals sails close to the 'identical copy' with their own logo.. re quality.. for the money Steinhart are very solid.. saphire crystal, good eta/selita movements.. bracelets are decent.. screwed links.. the clasp is ok ish.. the case design is pretty flat so on smaller wrists can overhang.. they offer 39mm versus 41 etc on the dive watches.. each to their own i guess. ive no problem with either of mine.. one is pretty much an identical copy of a rolex explorer which i couldnt afford to spend 9k on so for 500 euro it offered a very solid substitute.. why did i buy it? cause it looks like a Rolex explorer..

Just looking at the rolex website , Have the prices gone up again this month?I was sure the sub date was €9650 and they are €10,200 now.Similar with OP 41 , €5850 I thought and now €6150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Certainly looks like a 5% increase. Milguass was 8800 and is now 9250

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The Steinharts are very nice. I wouldnt know the ins and out of each different type of movement. I'm looking for a good quality automatic watch, similar to one of the luxury brands. I would love to be able to afford a TAG but that wont happen for a few years.

I have a Tissot PRS200 Quartz, the bezel has been damaged though, is this something that could be easily changed or would it be more expensive than the watch is worth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,964 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Jaysus, I thought you were joking @UhOh

I had told Rolex about making me a 50mm diver, but I also told them it needed to be blue, they must have forgotten about that

Advertisement