Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭893bet

How do you flick back to the “full site” from mobile or can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

You need to put it into desktop mode through your phone browser

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Valjoux movement, kinda shiny, Breitling is soft as hell as a brand. If a datejust and a op are too flashy and overstated a large chrono might seems a bit overwhelming....unless....you just dont like Rolex cause of its connotations to you.

This new boards interface is shocking, what a disaster of a move to the new platform, I think Mr Bean must be the team lead of this one. I hope the officious self important ejits in boards.ie HQ are strongly considering rolling this all back cause this is months and months away from being acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks one for those of ye with a bit more technical nous than I.

On my beater Sinn U2, the incessant disassembly and messing on my part has left the bezel action a tad sloppy. This may 😉 actually be due to my losing 1 of the bearing/spring yokes at some point.

I'm guessing I can replace that with a new bearing and a bodged spring from a spring bar?

But, I've read that Sinn have replaced that old system with an annular style clickspring? Would that be a generic 60 click spring? Or a specific Sinn part?

I mean could I just buy the right diameter and stick it in?

I don’t see how to do that is the issue...!

• Advertisement

Hit your 3dots/hamburger menu on your browser address bar and there should be a toggle box for "desktop".

You need to do it that way, rather than the old method of "full site" on the page itself.

Edit

This method only applies to chrome/edge based browsers.

I made that awful assumption of thinking if it works for me, it works for everyone and completely forgot about IOS 🤔

Post edited by banie01 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi guys

I just saw the Seiko Beatmaster, anyone pre order one? Think they look beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My understanding is that you would need a specific part for the click spring inside the bezel.

I was debating between ballbearing clicks and spring clicks in the Equinox but opted for spring for the very reason of not needing to worry about people losing their balls (btw you can often use the tungsten (wahey) ball in a rollerball pen to replace the balls in bezels - but no liability accepted if it sets your Sinn on fire)

60 click in the Equinox - a good 60 is much harder to do than a good 120 in my experience - the Pelagos is the de facto standard I compare bezel actions to :)

Thanks TF, the rollerball idea is genius!

I think my new Sinn has the annular click ring but that baby is being kept pristine!😉

So I'm not even looking at it sideways, let alone butchering it.

Whereas the old one didn't cost me a lot, is a beater and is totally fun to tinker with.

The capsule is getting to a mid blue at this point, but if and when I ever send it off to Frankfurt all my mistakes with it shall be rectified 5hen 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Oh Fitz, I haven't a clue what I want. JLC polaris is on my list.

• Advertisement

JLC might suit you well, or a gen 2 overseas. You seem to want something off the beaten track but with some horological chops. VC and JLC fit the bill.

Spot on. I'm in Doha airport as we speak on a layover but I'm too tired to even go browse.

Wait 6-12 months and there will be one for sale on the forum 👌👌😅

Couldn’t do this through safari. Managed it through chrome. Still a mess.

Breitling is one you need to “buy right” or you are married to the watch. Day you buy is the day you sell. The day date looks very different to the other two I guess? It’s very nice looking watch though if it’s the one below. The kind of styling I like a lot!

https://youtu.be/LwDPRFkrtCY

If you had been looking at DJ and OP and they are too flashy then Tudor are the natural next option of comparable quality, increasing brand cache, more value for money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

OK, am I being thick, or has the ability to subscribe at a topic level gone?

I can't see how to re-establish the specific topics that I want to subscribe to.

Under the My Forums tab, I don't see my old subs and can't see how to do it again.

Help!

Dont even start, I just tried the mobile touch app. This is a joke. They outsourced the new boards platform to some canadian crowd and they have totally screwed the pooch, the usability of boards has gone way way down. There are a bunch of appologists and the admins are looking into it, but its going to take months before this mess is fixed. Shambles.

@Fitz II cheers, mate. I thought I was going spare, but if it is the common experience, that takes the sting out. A bit.

So, what wild new features did we get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The ability to not easily distinguish threads with new posts from those without because everything is the same font and colour.

That's about it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

We are where we are.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, JLC Polaris? The VC is out of the stratosphere price range for me. My end of contract/move home is in 12 months and I am planning on using my bonus to buy a landmark watch.

The Polaris is a lovely piece, tho having held the 42mm VC overseas, if they were both available in and around the same price I think it would be the VC for me.

Lovely choice to have either way!

For those of us here who are struggling with the new bright mode and lack of themes at the moment.

If you are on Android/chrome you can force dark mode via the following.

On Chrome, enter chrome://flags/ in your address bar.

Then go to "force dark mode for web content".

Depending on your Android version, you can also enable dark mode via app settings for individual apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kostal2093

I know that Nomos Glashutte has its fans here on this site and just to let you know that I was in Galway earlier today and noticed that Hartmanns are now their official retailer in Ireland - the only one I think. I am seriously looking at purchasing a German watch in the future but for some reason I just cannot connect with Nomos. While ALS is the ultimate German manufacturer, they are out of my reach pricewise. Am looking at Muhle, Union and GO as alternatives but nothing so far has jumped out. Also, Stowa has been purchased by Tempus - hopefully nothing changes as far as Stowa is concerned.

Can only echo what is being said about this Boards 'upgrade' - the quicker they realise the mistake and revert back the better - it is a very poor effort.

Nomos are terrific value for money. But the styling is marmite.

Good to see a retailer in Ire! Soft (same as everything) on the second market and frequent online sales so not sure how well they will do in brick and mortar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

There's also Sinn and Demasko - Sinn being quite cool in my opinion with the tegimented steel tech and relatively affordable as they use widely available Swiss movements.

A contact of mine was just mentioning he went in to try and order this Nomos:

Bracelet design is pretty interesting!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

You know that feeling when you eventually reconciled yourself to the fact that a watch, or two, has to go and you carefully word an ad and put the photos together and find and appropriate place to post it. Then, just as you are proofing the ad, you kind of fall in love with the damn thing all over again.

Well, that.

:)

NHK world on Freesat have a documentary on at the moment.

The development, invention and marketing of the 1st Casio G-Shock with interviews with the designer.

Could be worth a watch if you want some insight on the original G-Shock.

Search for Japan's top inventions, it's a 15 minute slot similar to the CNN timeless slot but with the Inventor of the G-Shock rather than just talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Damasko is about as german as german gets :D

i had a DA36 and DC66 back in the day, cool but very utilitarian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I have a polaris mariner and a VC Overseas Gen 2 if you have any qns or need pics of either, both cost me in or around the same amount though (although i think the mariner is more expensive than the regular polaris).

Polaris are very nice but they wear big, you need to try one on!

Advertisement