Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Player and LG TVs.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I have this very TV model. To answer your question, the RTE player does work. However, there is no live streaming. TG4 player, on the other hand, does support live streaming.

But to be clear, contrary to what was said earlier, All4 will NOT work on this TV model if services are set to Ireland. Conversely, if services are set to UK RTE Player will not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Yes, I had that setup at one time and can't remember why I changed, it may to been to get the wider selection on LG tv, Internet channels, never use them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭emaherx

You don't need a TV package for satellite, lots of UK channels are free. You would obviously need a dish, unless there is some restrictions at your location Freesat is well worth the expense of installing a dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

On my setup the tv is set to uk for apps All4 and rte player both work no issues.

But is your tv the LG C2 model like the one the OP is planning to buy??

The LG C2 has separate settings for "broadcast" and "services". If "services" is set to Ireland it's not possible to run the All4 app. If "services" is set to UK the RTE player will not work. This is a software restriction and not geoblocking. The setting for "broadcast" has no effect on the streaming services.

Some recent LG models do not have this restriction (e.g. LG C1 afaik) but the LG C2 definitely does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

All LG Smart TVs have Broadcast & Services Country options, even my 2015 LG 32" has them. When setting up that TV, I set the Country to UK as I wanted Freesat for Satellite TV, and Ireland was set automatically for Services once Wifi/LAN is connected

Yes, but what's different about the C2 specifically is that with Services set to Ireland you cannot watch All4 streams (and certain streams from national broadcasters from other countries that are not otherwise geoblocked)!

This thread is about the RTÉ Player, not All 4 (which is now called Channel 4) or any other UK TV apps

Same thing applies. On an LG C2 the RTE Player will not work if you set Services to UK. You can have All4 or RTE Player, but not both. This may be useful for someone in Ireland about to buy this particular model, don't you think? Clearly you don't have this TV model. I'm not interested in having a petty argument with you. Good luck!

Exactly, there's already loads of threads on here about the availability of the Channel 4 player on LG TVs

As I said, the OP and thread is about the RTE Player on LG, so why would they want to set Services to any other country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 abdc1243

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't have a dish and never will - so services like Freesat are not available to me.

I'm relying purely on Internet to access TV - and want to use apps - mainly RTE Player and TG4 Player.

So for the LG C2, RTE Player is supported BUT tv live stream is not. That's a big flaw in RTE PLayer....so to watch a live stream via RTE Player, I would need to cast from my phone.....sigh.

Does tv live stream from RTE Player work on ANY smart tv model?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭27061986a

I have a 32 inch lg tv from 2018….I just found recently that I can watch live stream on rte player. I can get all the rte channels live….rte 1 rte 2 rte news rte junior.

yet I can’t get the same rte player app on new lg tv which was purchased in 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I have not watched RTE for months, it's substandard rubbish most of the time and on the odd occasion something of interest comes on it's peppered with adverts that on my TV cannot be fast forwarded even watching via Iplayer.

RTE is simply a TV guide for what might be worth downloading advert free from multiple sources.

So How do I stop paying the license. The blurb implies all aerials, dishes and cabling needs to be removed and my TV sets sold or scrapped. Has anyone fought the license requirements in Ireland? It seems grossly unfair to make it illegal to posses a TV and not have it licensed. Why not license eyeglasses or mains plugs on the basis that they are needed to receive TV too?

In the UK you have to have a TV connected to a signal source that is able to pick up BBC transmissions. Now that seems fair and even though the BBC is ad free it was still not worth the fee they wanted, so for two or three years before I came here I stopped paying the license, actually the aerial blowing down forced the issue on that occasion.

I never had a problem, though when I moved out they did browbeat my niece into buying a UK tv license. There is still no aerial or satellite dish in the house either, and there is no license being paid now I control the overheads once more. The TV is still installed though and I assume the licensing thugs have sent the mob around to verify the fact. They do have a reputation for this.

The one thing they cannot do is prosecute you for ownership of items with multiple uses apart from watching their overrated junk on.

Maybe the TV license is some kind of world mafia scam. Thugs forcing people to fork out cash because they know anyone with a TV has the odd few quid tied up in it, so it's like a clamping scam against car owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Belta TVwiz

Eh, bosmang, I get it, yeah? Everyone wanna keep their hard-earned cheddar. But lash up, beratna! This ain't about holdin' onto ya coins. It's 'bout chippin' in fer the shared good, da collective juice.

RTE's like da heart of da local scap. It pumps da stories, the news, the culture. Not just fer one, but fer all us beltalowda. If ya wanna keep da juice flowin', keep the stations runnin', gotta toss in yer pebbles.

Leviathan blues, nobody loves sheddin' their scrip, but think 'bout the float. The shows, the bits that keep us all tuned in. For da jamming to keep on churnin', we gotta sling in together, share da load, dig?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I do not watch the rubbish.

I can see English tripe whenever I wish, without the adverts.

RTE isn't what it was when all One had to endure was Hawaii five o with far less advertising.

£160 euro isn't a lot, were it advert free I would stump up and watch the odd item. I HATE BLOODY ADVERTS.

Teletext is gone, That was the sole reason I watched RTE. Sticking the news headlines on in the morning was great, I didn't have to be fed inane trivia such as sports related garbage and other stuff that is of no use or interest.

So great, I have no problem sharing things for the common good, but adverts are not good, they are simply "the rattling of the stick in the swill bucket" and they keep a lot of people employed trying to shift worthless dross that cannot be sold on its own merits. They need to draw the dole like other none productive people instead of assaulting One's senses.

If all the advertising grifters got proper productive jobs and produced something worthwhile for the economy, the state might be able to cut the licence fee as the nations increased productivity provided a greater tax take.

If you have no problem supporting national culture, I can knock out a few home made leprechauns in tasteful poses then come round to your door with a few thugs to "advertise" the benefits of the little darlings :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Belta TVwiz

Hey, beratna, I hear ya, loud and clear. No one likes the blaring noise of ads, especially when all ya wanna do is soak in some good old stories, yeah?

But check it, da juice needs to flow to keep da scap alive. I feel ya pain 'bout the ad racket, but it's like da fuel for da burn. Think 'bout it – if da skedbos in charge cut the ads, they'd be squeezin' more outta our pockets.

Teletext's gone, yeah, but it's still da shared fire, da collective belt. If we all toss in our pebbles, maybe we can shape it back da way we want. Worth a shot, yeah?

And 'bout those leprechauns, I'd pay a few scrips for some tasteful beltalowda-inspired culture. Keep da spirit alive, mate!

Advertisement