Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Player and LG TVs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

More likely they've updated it with new bugs that his TV can't handle.

In fairness to RTE its a world leading streaming app. Being the worlds worst streaming app I've ever used.
    ..or maybe its the best. It plays the ads perfectly, then crashes, forcing you to sit through all the ads again.
    It also has more ads that any other service I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

It's unlikely to be limitation of tv. More likely no one is making a fuss. Every other smart TV app is available and works fine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

coylemj wrote: »
    If RTE never updated their app, the OP could happiliy keep running it for the next 20 years. The issue here is the exact opposite to what you're saying, the OP is getting left behind precisely because they are updating the app. The OP's box cannot run the latest version of the app and RTE have withdrawn support for the older version that he is stuck with.

Do you work for RTE or have some other vested interest?

It's well known how poor the app is despite the dog on the street knowing that scheduled TV viewing is dying by the day globally.

Yet another example of RTE living in its own little bubble and not keeping up with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I tried the RTE player on our e55 oled lg from 2016 and it says old version of app no longer supported. Newer version is not available in the LG content store?

What is the exact model of your TV? as I have a mid range 2015 32" HD LG Smart TV (LF630V) and the new RTÉ Player is on it

What is the exact model of your TV? as I have a mid range 2015 32" HD LG Smart TV (LF630V) and the new RTÉ Player is on it

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED55E6P-oled-4k-tv

LG OLED55E6V
    55 inch OLED 4K Ultra HD Premium 3D Smart TV Freeview Play

• Advertisement

I'd email RTÉ about it. As they said LG Smart TVs from 2015 onwards would have the new player

https://www.rte.ie/player/en_IE/profile/faq
    "Some Smart TVs (LG/Samsung) are no longer providing updates or support for this particular version of the operating system. As such, if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV. If possible, please update the software on your TV to the latest version"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Do you work for RTE or have some other vested interest?

No I don't. Which is none of your business in any case. Especially as your post added nothing to the thread, except to pitch in a couple of whinges about RTE.

I'd email RTÉ about it. As they said LG Smart TVs from 2015 onwards would have the new player

Is there an rte player email? I wonder can apps be side loaded on the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

It's unlikely to be limitation of tv. More likely no one is making a fuss. Every other smart TV app is available and works fine.

I bought a Sony TV a few years ago and within 18 months Netflix, You tube, and 3player (as it was at the time) stopped working, updates wouldn't work.

Ok so Alexander dumbass me..

I had location in settings set to Ireland but LG services set to UK..changed LG services to Ireland and rte player appeared.

So all set.

Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Ok so Alexander dumbass me..

I had location in settings set to Ireland but LG services set to UK..changed LG services to Ireland and rte player appeared.

So all set.

Thanks,
    Mick

If you have UK players installed you won't see those updates if set to LG Ireland. I have mine set to LG UK and RTE player still works. So I leave it on LG UK to get the UK player updates. Maybe once every 6 months change it to see if there is an RTE update. Can't say I've checked since last yr and the RTE app is still working.

In fairness to rte support. They emailed me back at 830 re my query. Pretty good response time.

MBSnr wrote: »
    If you have UK players installed you won't see those updates if set to LG Ireland. I have mine set to LG UK and RTE player still works. So I leave it on LG UK to get the UK player updates. Maybe once every 6 months change it to see if there is an RTE update. Can't say I've checked since last yr and the RTE app is still working.

Out of curiosity I checked yesterday to see if there was an update to RTE player on the LG TV by changing the LG service country back to Ireland.

Nope. Last RTE app update Oct 2019.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

I have updated app on a fairly oldish LG and it's working fine.

Is the RTE Live channels disabled on the app though?

Treppen wrote: »
    I have updated app on a fairly oldish LG and it's working fine.

Is the RTE Live channels disabled on the app though?

Yes, that function has been removed on the LG and Samsung TV apps

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aerial7

Hello, is anyone else experiencing problems with the RTE Player app on LG TVs recently? I've a recent model and now when I select a programme a small banner 'Ad 1 of 1' appears, spinning circle, then a message 'Stream not found: Unfortunately the stream could not be started'. I've been unable to watch any content since last week. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

Aerial7 wrote: »
    Hello, is anyone else experiencing problems with the RTE Player app on LG TVs recently? I've a recent model and now when I select a programme a small banner 'Ad 1 of 1' appears, spinning circle, then a message 'Stream not found: Unfortunately the stream could not be started'. I've been unable to watch any content since last week. Thanks.

Is it a problem with all TV programs on the rte player or just one program

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Aerial7

kala85 wrote: »
    Is it a problem with all TV programs on the rte player or just one program

Was going to say all programmes, but have managed to get the Late Late Toy Show 2019 to work, bit with everything else, it tries to play the advert, then tries to start the programme (text for selected programme appears) and then the streaming message appears. I'm in NI but don't think it's a rights issue, as am selecting RTE produced content such as News. Been working fine up until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone got More4 app to work on their LG TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Sorry to hijack the thread but has anyone got More4 app to work on their LG TV?

Didn't know there was a More4 app but I set TV to LG UK region (don't know if it's in the LG Ireland store) & got the All4 app & works fine except when it comes to live TV when it tell me 'not available in your area'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

Sorry to drag up an old thread but is anyone else having trouble with the rte player? Mine doesn't seem to work today but I've used it in the last week. Any info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

Checked my 2020 tv there rte player working no issues.

Jayprey wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but is anyone else having trouble with the rte player? Mine doesn't seem to work today but I've used it in the last week. Any info greatly appreciated.

Try uninstall, turn off/on and re-install perhaps?
    Netflix updated there last week on mine (2018) and kept erroring. After jumping through hoops trying to get it to work, I found the only fix was remove, turn off, turn on, install again.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

Thanks guys, I tried it again today and it's working as normal. Hopefully just a once off! I read that having the Quick start feature turned on can sometimes cause problems, that would have been my next hope. Had already done the uninstall, restart & reinstall unsuccessfully. Appreciate the advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I have an LG TV and the RTÉ app works generally about as good as it ever does.
    However, I was searching for one programme Young Sheldon and it is nowhere to be found . Yet if I load RTÉplayer on my laptop browser and type on "You" or "Shel" in the search box then it comes up immediately. Anyone had this type of problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

My lg 55 with lg smart control is stuck on a rte player login screen... Remote works can switch to home or the app screen for 5 seconds and TV imediately reverts to stuck rte login prompt. Can't login there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 abdc1243

About to buy an LG TV - this one https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs-soundbars/oled-evo/oled55c24la/

Can anyone tell me definitely if RTE Player is supported on this model before I spend my cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭decor58

Generally with LG your app selection is down to your set up, by setting broadcast and services to UK you get Freesat lineup with 7 day epg and UK apps, most of which don't work in RoI. Setting broadcast and services to Ireland gets you RTE, TG4 and All4, no Freesat lineup.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭emaherx

But setting Broadcast to UK and services to Ireland you get Freesat and Irish Apps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 abdc1243

Thanks for the replies.

I'll be using Irish setup. I don't have a satellite dish or tv package, relying purely on SMART TV + Internet; that's why I want RTE Player to be supported and work!

Does the RTE Player app on LG stream live broadcasts? Had a Samsung TV and the RTE PLayer app did not do Live :(

Advertisement