Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does a list of net cost/price of new electric cars (minus incentives) exist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yes it is an incentive and one that is underwritten by someone else. Suppose I give pocket money to our kids and I decide to double one child's allowance in order to reward some behaviour. Then I either have to cut the other kids allowances or fork out more myself. Somebody always pays for incentives.

It's tax revenue foregone, not a grant. There is no net transfer of money. The government is neither a net recipient nor payer of money for this incentive. The government "rewards" the ev driver by not collecting VRT in the first place, but doesn't penalise other vehicle drivers or try to "balance the books" with corresponding VRT hikes.

There are many tax incentives. For example, personal pensions - the government foregoes personal tax on personal pension contributions. No money is paid out by the government for this tax incentive, it just decides not to collect the money in the first place.

The matter of the overall tax take by the government and how it is balanced through the whole economy is something that you can quiz your TD on come the next elections.

Advertisement