Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,505 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Downcow found out the 12th of July is cancelled so is doing the digital version of winding up the locals.

I thought these marches were so important that Orange men would begin to melt if they didn't get to go on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    downcow wrote: »
    My goodness me.
    I went on to RTÉ to see today’s stats and I was surprised to read this
    “ You need to be 15 minutes or more in the vicinity of an infected person, within 1-2 metres, to be considered at-risk or a close contact.”
    It is just very soft compared to uk advice. Who knows who is correct?

And I think it was runaway who said that Boris having covid was just a pr stunt. Well he will be pleased to read Boris is now in intensive care and things are a bit serious.

We're thankfully not as bitter and twisted as your goodself when it comes to these things. Plus, selfishly, the thoughts of Dominic "Dover" Raab in charge is chilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I wouldn't wish it on anyone and hope he makes a full recovery. My folks are in their late 70's and are both in very high risk categories with one just recovered from bowel cancer and the other hospitalised with pneumonia twice in the last few years.

This thing is a couple of bad decisions away from any one of us. The sooner we get on top of this the better.

Agreed. I hope your folk stay well.
    Fortunately I have no close family in high risk group. But that just lessons the chances, doesn’t put us in the clear

I thought these marches were so important that Orange men would begin to melt if they didn't get to go on them?

Our social media is alive with humour on it. Our community has a great capacity to chill.
    They range from adverts for 1000 pallets - genuine reason for sale.
    To a shinner puzzling over two buttons 1) end covid now 2) let it last just long enough to scupper the 12th.

I reckon the OO will just have to do double next year lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

What will the dirtbirds with fat bellies and John Player Blue in the arse pocket do this weekend without the Shinner marches?

• Advertisement

Our community has a great capacity to chill.

That gave me a good chuckle. Must have given a rueful one to the PSNI and those tasked with moderating the excesses of the marching season too. :)

15-20 years
    Our social media is alive with humour on it. Our community has a great capacity to chill.
    They range from adverts for 1000 pallets - genuine reason for sale.
    To a shinner puzzling over two buttons 1) end covid now 2) let it last just long enough to scupper the 12th.

I reckon the OO will just have to do double next year lol

Fwiw,and id have little to no time for the OO,i taught they showed good leadership in calling off the marchs

If the bonfires etc are cancelled (and followed through),that is some serious stepping up to the plate by community activists/paramilitaries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

10-15 years
    That gave me a good chuckle. Must have given a rueful one to the PSNI and those tasked with moderating the excesses of the marching season too. :)
    They’ll be on the Marching Powder instead ! ! !

I am sure you guys all follow this site. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    I have listened (and believed) all those on this thread who have been hammering my nation and Boris for diabolical lack of testing.
    I was bored there and compared uk with your wee country, and shock horror, there is little difference in the approach per population between the country that is following the worst testing strategy (uk) and the country that is best at everything including testing (roi).
    I am curious. Did you guys know the facts and were just spinning or did you think roi was testing far more than uk? (That’s a question by the way)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

More debt.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1129023/

Some much for the EU helping out.

Still why should the Germans pay for everybody else?

• Advertisement

I am sure you guys all follow this site. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    I have listened (and believed) all those on this thread who have been hammering my nation and Boris for diabolical lack of testing.
    I was bored there and compared uk with your wee country, and shock horror, there is little difference in the approach per population between the country that is following the worst testing strategy (uk) and the country that is best at everything including testing (roi).
    I am curious. Did you guys know the facts and were just spinning or did you think roi was testing far more than uk? (That’s a question by the way)

Are you wishing for people to die so you can fashion some kind of a macabre win downcow?

The FACTS are your government had to be persuaded away from a policy of letting people die to develop herd immunity. A bizarre and uncaring solution to the problem.

What you should be concerned about is, are they now on the right and humane path to mitigating the effects of this?

Stop the sick competing.

Are you wishing for people to die so you can fashion some kind of a macabre win downcow?

The FACTS are your government had to be persuaded away from a policy of letting people die to develop herd immunity. A bizarre and uncaring solution to the problem.

What you should be concerned about is, are they now on the right and humane path to mitigating the effects of this?

Stop the sick competing.

More breaking news. Francie avoids a question.
    ....and that is the first time I have mentioned testing so I certainly didn’t instigate any comp there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

20-30 years
    ....and that is the first time I have mentioned testing so I certainly didn’t instigate any comp there.

Oh, that wasn't a rhetorical?

---

Any thoughts on the MOU signed between the Executive's DoH and the ROI DoH?

Do you think aligning with the South is a bad idea?

I'm not getting into your zero sum vanity game downcow...full stop. Take your macabre competition to those who care.

This is what we should be celebrating today. Common sense that should have been done from the get go.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1247517270252781569

Edit: SNAP Bonnie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

30-40 years
    I was bored there and compared uk with your wee country

Not sure where you're getting your figures. I prefer to compare Ireland to countries in the EU with similar populations but seeing as we're on the subject...

508674.png

I'm not getting into your zero sum vanity game downcow...full stop. Take your macabre competition to those who care.

This is what we should be celebrating today. Common sense that should have been done from the get go.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1247517270252781569

Edit: SNAP Bonnie!

This is excellent. A long way from your call that the little NI should just follow what big ROI wants. This seems to be a partnership which any right thinking person would celebrate.

As for you avoiding my question and trying to spin. I have listened to many of you guys slate the UK approach over the last couple of weeks, comparing and contrasting the ROI approach. One of the mainstays of your argument was how diabolical the number of UK tests taking place - and as I said earlier, I was silly enough to believe you.
    In a moment of boredom this evening I compared the testing of the two nations, and whilst the ROI edges numbers per million, you could hardly put a piece of paper between the two ratios.

My question simply was. Did you guys know that and were you just spinning? Or did you guys think that the ROI was massively outdoing the UK testing?

I will not expect an answer from you Francie, but I am keen to hear from someone.

Not sure where you're getting your figures. I prefer to compare Ireland to countries in the EU with similar populations but seeing as we're on the subject...

508674.png

I am not sure the point you are trying to make, but i do know the point you are trying to deflect.

yes i gave you the source - here it is again https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ . You graph appears to relate to deaths while the answers i was looking were around testing.
    You also need to be careful with the deaths as it kicked of in different countries at different times

hahaha see you have an add country button on your graph - the classic, lies, damned lies and statistics

30-40 years
    You graph appears to relate to deaths while the answers i was looking were around testing.

The death rate is the only half-reliable measurement and it gives us a picture of what was happening a number of days ago. Testing and tracking is good for prevention of spreading the disease - the death rate is how well the former is being carried out.

You're a difficult person to communicate with at the best of times so I fully expect you to dismiss the above.
    hahaha see you have an add country button on your graph - the classic, lies, damned lies and statistics

I have no idea why you find it funny, here's a link to the website where you can add/remove countries for comparison.

This is excellent. A long way from your call that the little NI should just follow what big ROI wants. This seems to be a partnership which any right thinking person would celebrate.

As for you avoiding my question and trying to spin. I have listened to many of you guys slate the UK approach over the last couple of weeks, comparing and contrasting the ROI approach. One of the mainstays of your argument was how diabolical the number of UK tests taking place - and as I said earlier, I was silly enough to believe you.
    In a moment of boredom this evening I compared the testing of the two nations, and whilst the ROI edges numbers per million, you could hardly put a piece of paper between the two ratios.

My question simply was. Did you guys know that and were you just spinning? Or did you guys think that the ROI was massively outdoing the UK testing?

I will not expect an answer from you Francie, but I am keen to hear from someone.

downcow take yourself back through the thread and find a post of mine where I compared testing.

Not only were we critical of the UK's early approach, many many many people in the public sphere in the UK were criticising it. So much so they altered course.
    And many of the same people said it was too late. The death rate would sadly confirm that, without the need for macabre competitive comparisons.
    Many of us have family in Britain and northern Ireland.

30-40 years
    This is excellent. A long way from your call that the little NI should just follow what big ROI wants.

I suspect half the people in the north are already following Dublin's lead - hopefully it will result in fewer deaths and less suffering in the northeast of Ireland not that you'd ever credit anything with a green hue to it.

• Advertisement

I suspect half the people in the north are already following Dublin's lead - hopefully it will result in fewer deaths and less suffering in the northeast of Ireland not that you'd ever credit anything with a green hue to it.

Was up north this afternoon (essential journey) and sadly they have a way to go to match what is happening here.

15-20 years

Its generally accepted the testing here has been a shamblez

But i believe the response to this virus is being run effectively on an all-island basis??

The death rate is the only half-reliable measurement and it gives us a picture of what was happening a number of days ago. Testing and tracking is good for prevention of spreading the disease - the death rate is how well the former is being carried out.

You're a difficult person to communicate with at the best of times so I fully expect you to dismiss the above.

I can't prevent you spinning they way you do.
    But I feel I must say just once more. My post was referring to the continual attack on here on the UK over the last couple of weeks suggesting they were not testing in the way that your wee country was. I took what posters were saying as fact. Silly me. When I checked this evening I found that there is no significant difference between the numbers the UK are testing and the numbers ROI are testing.

The question which everyone is avoiding is. Did you know this and were you just spinning? Or is this a surprise to you that the UK is testing at a similar level to ROI?

You can put up another unrelated answer if you wish - I suppose that in itself answers the question

Was up north this afternoon (essential journey) and sadly they have a way to go to match what is happening here.

Where did you visit up North Francie?

Its generally accepted the testing here has been a shamblez

But i believe the response to this virus is being run effectively on an all-island basis??

Thanks Blaz, I appreciate you being clear on your feelings about testing in ROI, but that was not the question.

The question was for posters who have been suggesting that ROI have been testing much more than UK - were they spinning, or is it a surprise to them that there is not much difference?

I suppose I am trying to do them a favour and help them see that they are viewing this whole Corona issue with anti-British blinkers on. ie not even Corona escapes the bigotry.

Where did you visit up North Francie?

Lisnaskea, Newtownbutler and a business in between them where Covid might as well have never happened.

15-20 years
    Thanks Blaz, I appreciate you being clear on your feelings about testing in ROI, but that was not the question.

The question was for posters who have been suggesting that ROI have been testing much more than UK - were they spinning, or is it a surprise to them that there is not much difference?

I suppose I am trying to do them a favour and help them see that they are viewing this whole Corona issue with anti-British blinkers on. ie not even Corona escapes the bigotry.

Tbf the politians here misled people.asregards numbers being tested (claiming 5K,when its really 1.5K,as test centres got overrun)

The whole thing is a mess down here,which noone allowed qs as it would be calles politizing the virus (despite taoiseach usin it for pr purposes :rolleyes: )

But i would still be worried for uk,from snapchats i get from people living in london,lockdown seems minimal compared to here......and society over there sees many elderly living alone,different type communities etc,bodies from this virus will still be being found in 6 months time over there

30-40 years
    I can't prevent you spinning they way you do.

I'm not spinning anything.
    But I feel I must say just once more. My post was referring to the continual attack on here on the UK over the last couple of weeks suggesting they were not testing in the way that your wee country was.

I wasn't following the testing numbers because, as a I said, the COVID19 deaths show us how effective the testing and follow-up contract tracing is doing. I'll try to make this easier for you:

Testing
    +
    Contact tracing
    +
    Social distancing
    +
    cocooning
    +
    isolating
    +
    quarantining
    +
    Shutdown

I can't make it any simpler for you.

Tbf the politians here misled people.asregards numbers being tested (claiming 5K,when its really 1.5K,as test centres got overrun)

The whole thing is a mess down here,which noone allowed qs as it would be calles politizing the virus (despite taoiseach usin it for pr purposes :rolleyes: )

But i would still be worried for uk,from snapchats i get from people living in london,lockdown seems minimal compared to here......and society over there sees many elderly living alone,different type communities etc,bodies from this virus will still be being found in 6 months time over there

Thanks Blaaz. I couldn't argue with a single word of what you are saying. No country is squeaky clean and perfect on this. TBH I was a slow learner myself and if someone had told me two months ago where we would be know, I would have laughed at them

• Advertisement

I'm not spinning anything.

I wasn't following the testing numbers because, as a I said, the COVID19 deaths show us how effective the testing and follow-up contract tracing is doing. I'll try to make this easier for you:

Testing
    +
    Contact tracing
    +
    Social distancing
    +
    cocooning
    +
    isolating
    +
    quarantining
    +
    Shutdown

I can't make it any simpler for you.

Well then if you were not one of the people on here who were going on about UK being way behind ROI on testing, then the question was not for you. hence your struggle to answer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement