Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Gates on I Beam

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Muckit wrote: »
    Builders sand l would rhink

Just to clarify. "Builders Sand" is a product sold around here, mostly in tonne bags. It may be called by different names elsewhere. It is basically a sand AND coarse aggregate mix especially designed for making concrete. Just mix with cement and water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Muckit wrote: »
    Just to clarify. "Builders Sand" is a product sold around here, mostly in tonne bags. It may be called by different names elsewhere. It is basically a sand AND coarse aggregate mix especially designed for making concrete. Just mix with cement and water.

Is it?

I thought builders sand was a fine sand, for making concrete for putting in blocks or similar...
    I think it was builders sand I had to get for the GLAS bee sand - which is a fine sand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Round here we have building gravel that is the gravel used in readymix (for hanging gates) and building sand for building blocks. I wouldn’t use the building sand for a gate post. If hanging a number of gates I’d get a couple of big bags of building sand or a small load.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Lads what’s this rubbish about builders sand, gravel etc. Just get K-post same price as cement. Much handier. You could hang a gate with it 15 minutes after going into the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Lads what’s this rubbish about builders sand, gravel etc. Just get K-post same price as cement. Much handier. You could hang a gate with it 15 minutes after going into the hole.

Use proper cement and give it at least a week before hanging the gate. Put plenty up here over the years. Do it once and do it right. It will be a lifetime job.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Use proper cement and give it at least a week before hanging the gate. Put plenty up here over the years. Do it once and do it right. It will be a lifetime job.

I couldn’t agree with you more. Do it once and do it right. The K post (quick drying cement)is a great job and saves a lot of messing. Have you ever used it?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

K - post is grand if u in a rush , it’s expensive for hanging a gate post though, the amount of it u would need , better off with concrete, k-post is perfect for a line of fence to stand the intermediate posts, @5 per bag and 12 euro a tonne for loose screenings at a local quarry there is no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Tis gas how much discussion there is about a post to hang a gate... :)

I use old telephone or ESB poles, sink em deep and pack the earth in good around them, no concrete ever used. Seems to do the job all right, but cheaper too maybe...
    But I wouldn’t be as neat as some people on here to be fair...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Tis gas how much discussion there is about a post to hang a gate... :)

I use old telephone or ESB poles, sink em deep and pack the earth in good around them, no concrete ever used. Seems to do the job all right, but cheaper too maybe...
    But I wouldn’t be as neat as some people on here to be fair...

All the dubs at work used to say when discussions like this would come up “youse culchies are mad”.
    Anyway always hang gates here on girders or pipe or whatever steel we can get buried in at least 2 foot of concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭memorystick

Got a 7 foot length of 7inch pillar. Is is 30 inches ok in concrete in a far size hole with 4.5 feet over ground. I’m putting around 8 barrows per hole. Digger is a great job. Have I enough under the ground. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

152 × 152 beam will last a lifetime you can get hinges that clamp around it more adjustment if the ground isn't level for opening and closing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭minerleague

Got a 7 foot length of 7inch pillar. Is is 30 inches ok in concrete in a far size hole with 4.5 feet over ground. I’m putting around 8 barrows per hole. Digger is a great job. Have I enough under the ground. Thanks

8 barrows of concrete?:eek: and a digger to dig a hole. keep fit use a spade.
    What kind of gate are U hanging. For field gates I use ESB poles, keep the pole to back of hole and pack in layers up along. about 9 inches from top put a cross piece ( flat timber or concrete block) against pole at front ( stops sagging under weight of gate)
    yes 30 inches is loads underground

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Anyone ever see wire to rot around a H post? I was told by a man it does happen, but I haven't seen it myself and we have H posts down almost 20 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

If I was doing it I’d weld a bit of rebar around it

8 barrows of concrete?:eek: and a digger to dig a hole. keep fit use a spade.
    What kind of gate are U hanging. For field gates I use ESB poles, keep the pole to back of hole and pack in layers up along. about 9 inches from top put a cross piece ( flat timber or concrete block) against pole at front ( stops sagging under weight of gate)
    yes 30 inches is loads underground

I use pillars and weld gate. This one is a 16 foot field gate. Never liked poles. Hard to weld to, good for dancing around.

I dug 8 pairs of holes one day when the mini digger was there. The bigger the better and horse in the concrete. Mixing is the easy part. Knock the tits off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭minerleague

I use pillars and weld gate. This one is a 16 foot field gate. Never liked poles. Hard to weld to, good for dancing around.

I dug 8 pairs of holes one day when the mini digger was there. The bigger the better and horse in the concrete. Mixing is the easy part. Knock the tits off me.

8 gates in one day is a different story. normally go with 12 foot gates out the fields so timber ESB poles work ok for me ( I hate spending money too :p )

8 gates in one day is a different story. normally go with 12 foot gates out the fields so timber ESB poles work ok for me ( I hate spending money too :p )

I wouldn’t use a 12. All 15. Mowers are fairly wide with bad drivers!!!

Advertisement