Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Gates on I Beam

Options
  • 23-04-2019 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I've quite a few field gates to hang due to either current post at the end of its life or a new opening.

The plan is to order I beams cut to size.

I'm leaning towards 7x4 inch UB, and 2m long. This leaves about 650mm in the ground if I manage to get down that far, set in concrete (maybe postcrete).

Anyone have any other suggestions or alternatives? 7x4 is possibly overkill, I have some heavy 15ft gates and don't want to see them sagging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have never used Postcrete. Would it be strong enough to hold an I-beam?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

riemann wrote: »
    I've quite a few field gates to hang due to either current post at the end of its life or a new opening.

The plan is to order I beams cut to size.

Buy the proper galvanised gatepost with threaded hangers. Probably work out cheaper, look better and you have adjustment with hangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Muckit wrote: »
    Buy the proper galvanised gatepost with threaded hangers. Probably work out cheaper, look better and you have adjustment with hangers.

Hi Muckit, any links to said posts ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Hi Muckit, any links to said posts ?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Gibney-Galvanised-Hanging-Post-for-Gate-4-5in/9001715

You'll get them in most good hardware stores that sells gates. Gibneys one crowd that makes them. Remember that INCLUDES 2 hangers and holes are predrilled. All galvanised. No messing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Remember there is a different one for top and bottom. Also a different type for hanging off railway girders.

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Farming/Farm-Hardware--Equipment/Gate-Accessories/Gate-Hanger-Rsj-Bottom-Hanger-0506278

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Go a bit longer with the I beam and drive them with a post driver is another option. You'll need a heavy duty crowbar in the hole first and point the bottom corners of the I beam before you drive it. 3ft in the ground should be enough.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Thanks for reply, I'm not sure it would work out cheaper. Its more restrictive about what type of gate you can use. In rocky ground I'd end up having to get each one cut to size before i put them in the ground.

I agree while it is a more final finished job, I don't like seeing galvanised sitting in a hedgerow, something very artificial about it. A years weathering on steel and it disappears.

riemann wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, I'm not sure it would work out cheaper. Its more restrictive about what type of gate you can use. In rocky ground I'd end up having to get each one cut to size before i put them in the ground.

I agree while it is a more final finished job, I don't like seeing galvanised sitting in a hedgerow, something very artificial about it. A years weathering on steel and it disappears.

Its only one option. Everyone has theircown tastes and preferences. Are you going with ungalvanised gates? How are you digging the holes?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

if you cannot get holes dug deep enough less then you can concrete up around post above ground. use tge ring of plastic off a big drum or small plastic barrel. I always set a steel post in 8-10'' of dry mix first. Then use wet mix with extra cement to fill hole and form above ground. most lads hang gates too near the ground anyway. when hanging gate's always turn gate pole hanger to the side that tge gate will open. this allows gate to open over 90 degrees.

Another advantage of electric fences no f@@king gates into fields except out onto road

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,239 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ah, there's just something sturdier looking about the big feck-off lump of steel girder rusting away but not moving for anything for the next 30 years. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Its only one option. Everyone has theircown tastes and preferences. Are you going with ungalvanised gates? How are you digging the holes?

Its a good option, and probably the most sensible in the long run, I'm just not a fan.

Gates are a mix of home made, old wrought iron, couple bought from travelling salesman many moons ago (that are holding up surprisingly well) and some more modern galvanised ones.

Holes will be dug by hand with a spade and iron bar, until I get fed up and leave the rest for the track machine in the harvest. Always found a digger ends up making a hole far too big that has then to be filled with stone and concrete. Maybe it's driver error (sometimes that was yours truly) so hopefully will avoid this method but can't rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Suckler

Ah, there's just something sturdier looking about the big feck-off lump of steel girder rusting away but not moving for anything for the next 30 years. :pac:

i thought the same but I put one in like the link Muckit gave and now the others just look shoddy in comparison. Now it's in my head every time I see them I just want to take them down for no reason than the galvanised ones look tidier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭50HX

Buy a length of 3 or 4 inch blue band instead of the galv hanger/reclever posts........they are crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Planning on doing a good bit of fencing in the next wee or two before ground gets too hard .
    I want to use H iron for the gates while I have the digger there.
    What size of H iron should I get , what lengths and any tips re hanging the gate etc . I take it I’ll be putting it in semi-dry concrete
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,533 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Was this exact thread not done last week ?

_Brian wrote: »

I’m looking but can’t find it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭davidk1394

cjmc wrote: »
    Planning on doing a good bit of fencing in the next wee or two before ground gets too hard .
    I want to use H iron for the gates while I have the digger there.
    What size of H iron should I get , what lengths and any tips re hanging the gate etc . I take it I’ll be putting it in semi-dry concrete
    Cheers

Did it in a few places here. Dug a hole 4ft deep, stood the H iron and poured in 2 ft of concrete topped off with some stone and then clay. I used a standard H iron that came off an old hay barn. The part of the H iron going into the ground I welded on off cuts onto the H iron so it increased its surface area in the concrete.

The gate hanging off the H iron is 12ft wide and 5 ft high

4 foot hole!! ? What kind of a measuring tape had you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

_Brian wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057974987

But it was H iron:o

Mod note Threads merged

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Just marking the page

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭memorystick

I've 3 foot+ holes dug with mini digger. Horse in plenty of concrete. Too much is better than too little.

50HX wrote: »
    Buy a length of 3 or 4 inch blue band instead of the galv hanger/reclever posts........they are crazy money

What’s blue band ?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

cjmc wrote: »
    What’s blue band ?
    Blue band is the strength of pipe , it’s only in the smaller pipes where u can get either brown band or blue , blue being heavy wall pipe , in the local place anyway , I’ve hung a few gates off the big road signs when they were upgrading the road they left us a few , mighty job , not the strongest wall but dose fine ,

Going hanging gates next week. Stupid question- which is better for mixing concrete- builders sand or crushed 804?

Going hanging gates next week. Stupid question- which is better for mixing concrete- builders sand or crushed 804?

Builders sand l would rhink

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Gravel obviously but I assume you know that and have only sand and 804 to hand. In that case use a 50/50 mix of the sand and 804

But CIE used to use 804 in their railway sleepers. Couldn't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

804 is dust with 1/2 chip down. Excellent to make concrete with. If it not dusty add some sand but if it made with limestone as oposed to sandstone it should be dusty enough

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I always thought 804 andd '1/2" down' were the same thing.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭50HX

Use 804.....small bits in it help bind it better

Advertisement