Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has the quality of mainstream film and music taken a nosedive since the 70's?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭badabing106

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I would largely agree with sk8erboii on the The Dark Knight trilogy, with the exception of the The Dark Knight flic in the middle. It was a good film with all the actors hitting the spot with a good script behind it too. The first and last, nope. Decidedly meh for me.

The ending to the batman trilogy was a terrible ending to a good trilogy. The director completely bottled it,succumbing to a deflating corny finish. It would have made a 9 year old girl groan in disappointing amazement, it was that stupid.
    A decision which l am sure haunts him to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Imagine a grown man aged thirty to forty going to watch the Christopher Reeve films on his own back in the 70s and 80s. People would either have thought he was "special" or even something more sinister than that.

I'm not saying people who go to superhero movies are all perverts or anything, in fact I believe the opposite, it just shows a worrying slide into people showing a lack of intellectual curiosity.

Nonsense.

In today's fast paced and utterly cut throat society people want to go to the cinema to have fun and veg out. It's fun escapism.

Same people will also go to 'intellectual' films if they happen to be in the mood for it.

I go see what I want in the cinema and whatever I'm in the mood for that particular evening.

I'm sure many grown men and women went to see the Superman franchise and I highly doubt people gave much of a toss because everyone else was there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭randd1

I can never understand why so many people blast the Marvel/Superhero/Sci-fi films for having no depth or poor dialogue. They're meant to be what they are, turn off the brain and relax for two hours entertainment or a day out for the kids. One of the reasons the marvel films have been so successful is they knew they were meant to be fun and just went with it.

TV has taken over in terms of stories with decent character arcs. Hollywood knows it can't compete with 10 episode series where characters are explored in depth, so it makes entertainment, not quality. Even at that, most of the great Hollywood classics are over the two hour mark where the audience really gets to know character to sell the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The absence of just pop music involving talent is a sad one imo. Great bands were inspired by what they saw on Top of the Pops.

I don't see much benefit (musically) to being a part of some generational zeitgeist moment I guess, unless that's the point of the performance like 'This Is America'. Even that could have fallen flat, but the video was so visually arresting that it got to ride a wave. The future good bands who would have previously been inspired by seeing a band on TOTP are now inspired by YouTube, KEXP or Pitchfork performance (amongst many others). All with longer sets, better quality video and audio and no trash in between. I fully remember the days of watching TOTP waiting for my idols to pop up once every show or three.

People used to complain when record companies exerted too much control on an artist in order to fit into the radio-shítstream - uproar from rockers that even one or two songs from Albini's 'In Utero' recordings were remastered - nowadays it's easier than ever to escape that control and release whatever music you want. If the cost is that you don't get onto whatever TOTP-equivalent exists nowadays that seems a blessing in disguise.
    Leave the charts to whichever rappersingers can gloat best or whichever starlet can make up the cost of autotuning her voice by showing her ass off or by being some anhedonic "R&B-meets-Nirvana" (Billie Eilish, apparently).

There could be a turnaround but it depends on many people looking for and listening to music and a majority liking it all at the same time. That doesn't make any difference to the music imo, it only affects people with too little time or motivation to look. Much the same as how sifting through records was a thing for music nerds but by the time most people were 30 and distracted by kids they gave up being a music nerd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

When the film Bohemian Rhapsody came out, this popped up on my youtube....

This is a crowd comprised of people, the majority of whom weren't even born when the song released. It's a long unusual mix of different genres of music, the very antithesis of what could be described as a mainstream hit.
    Yet here's thousand of people singing it word for word, over 40 years after it was released. Would a band like Queen even get mainstream recognition today, would they be allowed to record a song like Bohemian Rhapsody if they did?

I think this is the biggest tragedy of the loss of quality and real artistry in mainstream music. We wont see this kind of thing anymore. I severely doubt in 40 years time, your grandchildren will be singing along to Niki Minaj's Anaconda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Check out The Boy who harnessed the wind, great piece of modern filmmaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think music in the 80,s was better than the 70,s ,
    there was a wide range of music in the charts, there was also electronic music,
    synths were being developed and improved and used in pop music.
    I Think theres great pop music being made now.
    i think now the problem i see is most music is made on laptops, or tablets,
    pop groups in the 70s had to really play instruments ,
    Most composers used pianos or guitars to compose a song.
    Music from the 80,s, 70,s 60,s sounds more powerful to me.
    Modern music sounds slightly clinical ,
    you can compose a song now without touching a real instrument.
    Theres still great music being made .
    Maybe i,m being nostalgic but new songs now don,t sound as good to me,
    i think because most of the music is being emulated ,its not being
    played on a real guitar .
    it,s just easier to make music on pcs, or synths .
    I understand their still trad and country groups who do not use
    computers to compose music.
    or maybe its because musicians had to really be good
    to play pop music, or compose it.
    it demanded a high level of skill .
    Now we have online streaming , soundcloud, etc
    theres so much music avaidable it can be confusing .
    iN the 80,s ,groups needed a few hits ,they had to get a record contract.
    and release albums on vinyl or cassette .
    Now there 1000.s of albums are released in digital format.
    Record companys would only release or promote a limited amount of albums per week.
    There had to be strict quality control ,it was expensive to send 1000.s of
    LP.S to all the record stores .
    There were plenty of bad films made in the 70,s
    ,maybe you just remember the good ones .
    i Think Sia or lady gaga or as good as most pop singers from the
    70,s .
    They write songs, they can really sing .
    I look at a website like pitchfork, a music website. and i have no idea who most of the
    groups mentioned are .
    Most songs in the charts, are pop,r and b,
    see bbc 4 tv, from the 80,s , top of the pop,s on friday night, , there ,s a very wide range of music in the top 30,
    rap,pop,ballads, reggae ,and some people actually sing with a real accent.
    Every pop singer now sounds american or mid atlantic.
    I still think theres singers and composers who have great talent ,
    in the charts and good music being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Right lads. I love films and especially the under the radar stuff. Instead of bickering with skater boy can some of you including him recommend any decent off the beaten track movies to watch.

Now I still want to be able to enjoy it so I don’t want some 90 minute art house film about a lonely house plant in Estonia.

I really enjoyed Ink if that’s any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

timthumbni wrote: »
    Right lads. I love films and especially the under the radar stuff. Instead of bickering with skater boy can some of you including him recommend any decent off the beaten track movies to watch.

Now I still want to be able to enjoy it so I don’t want some 90 minute art house film about a lonely house plant in Estonia.

Not off the beaten track but Sexy Beast was a real find for me. Absolutely loved it. Great acting and amazing visuals.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:D:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Not off the beaten track but Sexy Beast was a real find for me. Absolutely loved it. Great acting and amazing visuals.

Saw it already unfortunately. And yes I enjoyed it though bit uncomfortable as Kingsley was so good at playing the madman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Elmer Jones

Tell No One a French Film from 2006 is a really good film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Right lads. I love films and especially the under the radar stuff. off the beaten track movies to watch.

Why does the number of other people who have seen a movie influence your own enjoyment of it ?

Why does the number of other people who have seen a movie influence your own enjoyment of it ?

They don’t. But the normal popular ones I am likely to have heard of and watched already. I’m not a film snob.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The perfect thread for you

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Star Wars came out in 1977 and the generations who grew up watching it never graduated to serious films for adults
    No serious films for adults in the 80s, 90s, 2000s? Come on now, I realise your thing is just to say provocative sh1t but the above isn't even logical.
    Arghus wrote: »
    I'm loathe to completely dismiss mainstream music. Yes, sure enough, to my ears a lot of it does sound like fairly mediocre stuff. There's a certain familiarity to the way songs are produced and arranged now - a lot of the big songs by different artists of the last few years have been written by the same group of songwriters and producers and more and more people want to work with them all the time, so definitely that sense of homogeneity in popular music is at least partly quantifiable and not just wholly down to subjective taste.

But, at the same time, I do know that I'm not the target market for the stuff that's in the charts. Chart music is for people in their teens or just about crossing over into adulthood. It always has been. So sometimes I get off my high horse of hate for the music. I don't like a lot of it, but there's probably millions of fifteen years olds who do. Personally, I'd be really interested in knowing what it is that people like about it, rather than just dismissively crapping on it. I was just into my teens around the turn of the millennium and I think chart music back then was really bad, even worse than it is now. The blandness of most of the pop music from that era was utterly chronic - as bad and all as it is now, I think it was actually worse fifteen to twenty years ago.

I think what irritates a lot of people is that it seems like it's the same artists that get pushed in the media a lot. Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Arianna Grande etc,etc. And a lot of talent show bullsh!t clogging up the TV and radio. But that's just a reflection of how record companies - who are usually parts of bigger entertainment empires these days - can't afford to take risks like they may have in the past. People don't spend as much money on music now as they did in the past. It has to compete on fronts against other media all the time now, so that forces a conservative approach, mixed with relentless advertising in order to push a product. Risks can't be taken like they were in the past, smaller labels find it harder and harder to survive.

Of course the quality of mainstream music was higher in previous decades, but things were different. There was a lot of new ground waiting to be broken, unexplored territory. But now we're fifty plus years down the line, things are going to get a bit stale, it's only natural.

But, I dunno, in some ways I feel cautiously optimistic. People bemoan the quality of chart music and mainstream music, but stuff that doesn't fall into that category becomes easier to find all the time. I used to read about bands for ages before I could even hear them. Now everything is accessible, all the time. Now, that has its own unique downsides too, for sure. But there's still a lot of people out there making good music - fcking tons of people - and in most cases it's only a click away. It was never that easy to find new music even back in the supposed glory days.

Best music of 2019
    Still the odd good pop tune. That Major Lazar "Lean On" song is class (although I see it's four years old - crikey) but due to changes like technology, the internet, X Factor stuff, image over substance (I know, always around, but now more than ever), cost cutting, pop music is just a mass produced thing using the same formula most of the time, and that's a shame, as a good pop song is the biz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

No serious films for adults in the 80s, 90s, 2000s? Come on now, I realise your thing is just to say provocative sh1t but the above isn't even logical.

Still the odd good pop tune. That Major Lazar "Lean On" song is class (although I see it's four years old - crikey) but due to changes like technology, the internet, X Factor stuff, image over substance (I know, always around, but now more than ever), cost cutting, pop music is just a mass produced thing using the same formula most of the time, and that's a shame, as a good pop song is the biz.

In the mainstream serious films for adults are nowhere near as popular as they were in the 60z and 70s. Even in the 90s you would see stuff like American Beauty and so on in the multiplexes. Now it’s all cartoon movies for babies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

In the mainstream serious films for adults are nowhere near as popular as they were in the 60z and 70s. Even in the 90s you would see stuff like American Beauty and so on in the multiplexes. Now it’s all cartoon movies for babies.

The likes of Paul Thomas Anderson have consistently gotten on incredibly well for the past two decades. Then you've got Wes Anderson, Dennis Villineuve. Films such as Arrival and Bladerunner 2069 which were films that used scifi to make a viewer think. Even the likes of Logan were great cinema. Yes, we've had big blockbusters but both international cinema(Haneke,Park Chan-wook and Alfonso Cuarón to name a few) and Hollywood have outputted superb films that are at the same level of decades prior to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In the 70,s star wars and jaws were big hits,
    studios decided we,d be better off making a smaller no of movies
    ,action blockbusters with easy to understand plots , that would be big hits all over the world.
    Than complex drama,s aimed at an older audience.
    Like coming home or taxi driver.
    Also action movies are hits around the world , they are easy to understand concepts ,
    a shark attacks , the rebels are up againts darth vader ,
    those are concepts easy to understand .
    Theres loads of good movies made now,
    but they may be seen on netflix, amazon,streaming service .
    They are also streaming channels that show classic films,
    also see film 4, bbc, sky, theres plenty of places to see movies
    outside the cinema .
    Disney now owns marvel comics, and fox,
    of course they will be releasing star war film,s
    and marvel movies based on the characters they own.
    Maybe the 70s was a golden age when the studios would
    release a wide range of film,s ,
    directors and writers had more power than they do now .
    Theres more tv drama,s being made now than ever before ,
    amazon,disney, apple, netflix need more content to attract
    subscribers to their streaming services .
    there was plenty of awful mediocre movies made in the 70s .
    We remember the good films , thats how human memory works .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yes, so people who watched Star Wars were indeed also exposed to serious films in the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

And there still are plenty of them. It's not all comic book stuff. There's a lot of it yes, but it would be extremely dishonest to suggest there's nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In the music industry, image overtook talent.

Truth and in films, trying to appeal to a wider demographic aka wider revenue seam put the strangle hold on the creative people who were just trying to make great films rather then trying to having to appeal to a bunch of popcorn munching, feather brain fûckwits and including ‘families’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Yes, so people who watched Star Wars were indeed also exposed to serious films in the 80s, 90s and 2000s.

And there still are plenty of them. It's not all comic book stuff. There's a lot of it yes, but it would be extremely dishonest to suggest there's nothing else.

First of all I never suggested that people who watched Star Wars weren’t exposed to serious films.

I said that the generations of cinema goers who watched it as kids remain satiated by silly kids films as adults rather than pursue serious films.

Nor did I say that “there’s nothing else,” of course serious films are still being made but they’re nowhere near the mainstream like the likes of All The President’s Men or Kramer vs Kramer would have been. People can speak generally without meaning “everybody.” Most people don’t need that spelled out for them.

Advertisement