Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why has the quality of mainstream film and music taken a nosedive since the 70's?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think you need to watch more films and have more humility about your level of knowledge.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Arghus wrote: »
    I think you need to watch more films and have more humility about your level of knowledge.

Lol. Thats funny man. Ive spent most of my childhood with a filmmaking family, and have watched thousands of film.

Its telling that you’re defending The dark knight trilogy, a series that everyone who works in film agree is a mess

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Lol. Thats funny man. Ive spent most of my childhood with a filmmaking family, and have watched thousands of film.

Its telling that you’re defending The dark knight trilogy, a series that everyone who works in film agree is a mess

Bro, you sound like a young fella who has just read Sight and Sound for the first time.

Bro, you sound like a young fella who has just read Sight and Sound for the first time.

Why? Cause i share an opinion with most of filmmakers?

Why? Cause i share an opinion with most of filmmakers?

Whatever you say.

Look, obviously, you have strong opinions - doesn't mean they are right, in fact they're not, but they are strong - so I presume you are a young budding cinephile. Two places I recommend you should start if you really want to actually gain some worthwhile knowledge would be -

https://www.amazon.com/New-Biographical-Dictionary-Film-Completely/dp/0307271749.

Get a copy of this. Brilliant book, every home should have one. You'll learn loads about the history of cinema.

Also, check out -

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/ - Really fascinating resource that aims to list the 1000 most acclaimed films of all time. I recommend their sub-section on 21st century cinema.

• Advertisement

Whatever you say.

Look, obviously, you have strong opinions - doesn't mean they are right, in fact they're not, but they are strong - so I presume you are a young budding cinephile. Two places I recommend you should start if you really want to actually gain some worthwhile knowledge would be -

https://www.amazon.com/New-Biographical-Dictionary-Film-Completely/dp/0307271749.

Get a copy of this. Brilliant book, every home should have one. You'll learn loads about the history of cinema.

Also, check out -

https://www.theyshootpictures.com/ - Really fascinating resource that aims to list the 1000 most acclaimed films of all time. I recommend their sub-section on 21st century cinema.

So you think the batman trilogy is a classic?

So you think the batman trilogy is a classic?

No. And I never said I did.

No. And I never said I did.

Right. And thats the only 'opinion' ive ever given in this thread.

So what exactly are you arguing for?

Right. And thats the only 'opinion' ive ever given in this thread.

So what exactly are you arguing for?

It's all there in my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Who are these people. And nobody would say it’s a great movie just better than most superhero movies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Your arguments from authority actually shows how weak you are at making an argument. It's a style of debate that will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Its a parody account no? Reads like one anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I dont think thats fair Arghus. The poster knows people in the film industry, and even spent some of their childhood with them, so I think you are going to just have to accept that they are right and you are wrong. You probably havent even met a person working in film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

xckjoo wrote: »
    As is the below:
    I dont think thats fair Arghus. The poster knows people in the film industry, and even spent some of their childhood with them, so I think you are going to just have to accept that they are right and you are wrong. You probably havent even met a person working in film.
    Be. More. Subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

sxt wrote: »
    Compare the top rated albums of 1979,joy division,pink floyd, the clash ,talking heads ,michael jackson ,ac/dc ,fleetwood mac etc) All made by main stream musicianshttps://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1979

Who are mainstream today? ed sheeran ,adele? Taylor swift? kathy perry. none of these artists have made an album that will be listened to in 50 years time

Take the oscar winning movies of the 70s vs today. Every single one of those movies is a bonified cinematic classic!

1979 - "The Deer Hunter"
    1978 - "Annie Hall"
    1977 - "Rocky"
    1976 - "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"
    1975 - "The Godfather Part II"
    1974 - "The Sting"
    1973 - "The Godfather"
    1972 - "The French Connection"
    1971 - "Patton"
    1970 - "Midnight Cowboy"

So many average movies winning oscars these days like argo,slumdog millionaire, chicago ,kings speech etc

it seems to be the late 1990s was where the steepest nosedive took place, in films anyway, thats when dreadful movies like titanic and shakespear in love started winning oscars

That correlates with the start of the Internet? Did the Internet kill creavity in the mainstream?

old man doesn't like new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

"in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock"
    Orson Welles, The Third Man.

The 50's, 60's and 70's were very turbulent decades to live in, economically and politically.

In 1956 Elvis had his first hit with 'Heartbreak Hotel'. Twenty years later and the Sex Pistols released 'Never Mind the Bollocks'. In between, you've had the Beatles, Cream and Hendrix.

Queue the 80's and it's all about consumerism. It's the era of Stock-Aiken-Waterman and in that regard, it's been that way ever since what with Boy Bands and X-Factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Films went to hell with CGI.
    Music went to hell with boy bands, girl bands, and marketing.

Back in the day when they wanted to improve a cowboy film it was "bring on the empty horses".
    Now they bring on a CGI army of tens of thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's a difference between mainstream and top of the charts. Pink Floyd only ever had one number one single, in Britain at least. If some teenager who listens to Katy Perry now had been around in the seventies they wouldn't have been listening to Pink Floyd. They would have been listening to something like this.

There's always been shite music but now it's easier to make because of computer software so there's more of it. Stock, Aitken and Waterman took over the charts in the late eighties. Every single song they produced had that weird vocal effect. I'm not exactly sure what they did to achieve this effect but it's very distinctive and sounds like shit. Now it's even easier to use Autotune on someones voice and stitch a song together with Pro Tools.

There's still plenty of bands around that play their own instruments. Whether you like them or not is down to personal taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Star Wars came out in 1977 and the generations who grew up watching it never graduated to serious films for adults.

A man born in the late 40s would have watched Tarzan films in the cinema when they were kids and mature, thematically more sophisticated films like Annie Hall by the late 70s.

A person born in the late 60s would have watched Star Wars in the late 70s and... another Star Wars films twenty years later in the cinema.

Now we’re at the stage that people in their mid thirties have only watched films for children in the cinema. Superhero films and cartoons for babies.[/QUOTE]

The anti-craic right here.

There's a difference between mainstream and top of the charts. Pink Floyd only ever had one number one single, in Britain at least. If some teenager who listens to Katy Perry now had been around in the seventies they wouldn't have been listening to Pink Floyd. They would have been listening to something like this.

There's always been shite music but now it's easier to make because of computer software so there's more of it. Stock, Aitken and Waterman took over the charts in the late eighties. Every single song they produced had that weird vocal effect. I'm not exactly sure what they did to achieve this effect but it's very distinctive and sounds like shit. Now it's even easier to use Autotune on someones voice and stitch a song together with Pro Tools.

There's still plenty of bands around that play their own instruments. Whether you like them or not is down to personal taste.
    Talking about the mainstream though. While there was always crap mainstream music, it's unquestionably at its worst now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Talking about the mainstream though. While there was always crap mainstream music, it's unquestionably at its worst now.

I'd sooner listen to Taylor Swift than the Osmond Family....

The likes of Foo Fighters have plenty of mainstream success. Whether you like them or not they're no less musically talented than a lot of seventies bands.

It's disingenuous to lump "Joy Division, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson, AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac" together as if they all had the same level of mainstream success and compare them to "Ed Sheeran, Adele, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Yermande

batgoat wrote: »
    Your arguments from authority actually shows how weak you are at making an argument. It's a style of debate that will get you nowhere.

Funnily enough, he pulled me up on one of my posts yesterday, even linking me to a diagram of fallacious arguments. Fast-forward 24 hours and he's appealing to authority and delivering personal attacks.

xckjoo wrote: »

Probably, but if it isn't there's no harm giving good honest advice.

The likes of Foo Fighters have plenty of mainstream success. Whether you like them or not they're no less musically talented than a lot of seventies bands.

It's disingenuous to lump "Joy Division, Pink Floyd, The Clash, Talking Heads, Michael Jackson, AC/DC and Fleetwood Mac" together as if they all had the same level of mainstream success and compare them to "Ed Sheeran, Adele, Taylor Swift and Katy Perry".
    Foo fighters and who else? I think it's disingenuous to say mainstream music is the same as ever.

Yeah I prefer Katy Perry and Taylor Swift to The Osmonds (still think they're sh1t though) - we can all name random examples but overall of course pop music is worse now.

Foo fighters and who else? I think it's disingenuous to say mainstream music is the same as ever.

Radiohead for a start. That's what a young person now of a similar mindset to a Pink Floyd fan from thirty years ago would probably be listening to.
    Yeah I prefer Katy Perry and Taylor Swift to The Osmonds (still think they're sh1t though) - we can all name random examples but overall of course pop music is worse now.

As I said there's more crap music being made because it's easier to make it. If I were to compare like to like I'd compare Katy Perry to someone like Madonna. In which case that would be an example of pop music going downhill.

I certainly wouldn't claim that AC/DC have been replaced by Ed Sheeran or that Joy Division were the seventies equivalent to Adele.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Ghostbusters (2016). The one with the girlies is a modern classic that will stand the test of time.

That wee media studies student on here can shove his gaspar noe up his arse in a subway compared to it.

And those cameos. Bliss..

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭duckofdeath

Grumpy old men hates new stuff. Some things never change! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

There is no such thing nor will there ever be 'main stream' again due to the wast amount of entertainment available to to us all now. I will not ague with OP that the 70's was great for movies and one could argue that the 90's was another excellent decade however we are now in the era of unprecedented and excellent TV quality.

Yes there is a lot of garbage out there however if you look there is incredible amount of great music, movie and TV available.

PS: I cannot stand Pink Floyd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Radiohead for a start. That's what a young person now of a similar mindset to a Pink Floyd fan from thirty years ago would probably be listening to.

What now? Radiohead formed in 1985.

Advertisement