Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nematodes

Options
  • 22-04-2019 8:57am

Hi.
    Has anyone had success using these?

I seem to have a lot of leather jackets in my garden. They are now present in the polytunnel raised beds as I've identified them as being culprits for eating the roots of several lettuce plants.

While investigating the soil for the culpits I came across several of them. I plan to use nematodes to deal with them in the polytunnel.
    Do they actually work? I've used them before on larger areas of the garden but can honestly say that I didn't notice a difference, but am thinking that with the confined spaces within the raised beds in the polytunnel that they may prove more useful.

I also found a number of vineweavel grubs too. Is it possible to mix nematodes, to have nematodes for both leather jackets and vineweavel together in the same beds?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I used nematodes from Nemasys for leatherjackets three years ago and they worked fine. My lawn had been completely ruined before I used them and they were my last resort. No trouble since, I think they came in on the new grass I had laid in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

twignme wrote: »
    I used nematodes from Nemasys for leatherjackets three years ago and they worked fine. My lawn had been completely ruined before I used them and they were my last resort. No trouble since, I think they came in on the new grass I had laid in the garden.

I'm gonna have a major problem with them this year, if I can't find the Nemasys Nematodes soon. Place is covered in craneflies. Cannot find anyone selling them here and they won't ship from UK. Any suggestions, would be much appreciated!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Mr. Middleton usually do nemasys but it seems to be seasonal. Also try quickcrop.

I'm gonna have a major problem with them this year, if I can't find the Nemasys Nematodes soon. Place is covered in craneflies. Cannot find anyone selling them here and they won't ship from UK. Any suggestions, would be much appreciated!!

Ship them to Parcel Wizard/Motel

Tree wrote: »
    Mr. Middleton usually do nemasys but it seems to be seasonal. Also try quickcrop.

Thanks. Had queried it with Mr Middleton a fortnight ago. They're waiting on them. Just checked Quickcrop - same "out of stock"

• Advertisement

TheTorment wrote: »
    Ship them to Parcel Wizard/Motel

Might look in to that. But i gather they have a limited life and need refrigeration - so that might be the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc1234

I got them off , thegardenshop.ie
    https://www.thegardenshop.ie/supernemos

lfc1234 wrote: »
    I got them off , thegardenshop.ie
    https://www.thegardenshop.ie/supernemos

How did they work for you? Just they seem a bit of a 'one does all' and not especially for leatherjackets ...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funny this tread should pop up tonight, I put down some on my front garden couple of days ago.

I found the grass was going yellow in patches and I was raking it the last week to collect leaves after a stormy night and I noticed some areas were coming up as a sheet. This had happened about 6 or so years ago too, but at the time I had never heard of leatherjackets.

So I ordered some for 50m2 I think, will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. Hopefully it will as my front gardens were always generally healthy and lush looking.

Edit: just checked the reviews of that product mentioned, find it hard to see how you'd notice results in 2 days! From what I read about how they kill, its a slow enough process.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

I got mine from Mr Middleton those years ago and you are correct about the storage issues. Mr Middleton only get them in at the right time of the year for using them, so if they’re not in yet, it’s not the right time. They won’t work on mature adult craneflies and IIRC it was a little later in the year when the soil was just warm enough to water them in. My lawn was reduced to mud with small patches of wiregrass after the leatherjackets had finished with it and even though I was advised by many to dig it all up and reseed, I persevered with the TLC and just this year it’s back to it looking good again.

• Advertisement

I was thinking I would need to rake out the thatch, maybe at the start of the season next year, and overseed those areas?

Re: those lifting grass sections I mention, can they re-root themselves if the grubs are gone?

We had them about 15yrs ago. Took half our lawn. At the time there was a chemical solution we got from the chemist (no longer legal) but I don't remember the clouds of cranflies being as bad as this year. I'm declaring war on these ba*ta*ds!!

I recently got a large section of my back garden relaid after drainage work....the guy doing the leveling/reseeding part said I had quite a few grubs in the soil and would be best to treat it.

So I have that area to tackle too!

The nematodes are quite costly.

twignme wrote: »
    I got mine from Mr Middleton those years ago and you are correct about the storage issues. Mr Middleton only get them in at the right time of the year for using them, so if they’re not in yet, it’s not the right time. They won’t work on mature adult craneflies and IIRC it was a little later in the year when the soil was just warm enough to water them in. My lawn was reduced to mud with small patches of wiregrass after the leatherjackets had finished with it and even though I was advised by many to dig it all up and reseed, I persevered with the TLC and just this year it’s back to it looking good again.
    Excellent info, thanks. I'll hold out another while, but not too long I hope! They are the craziest, baddest things. In the meantime, i'll work on scalping the lawn. I was intending to scarify in Spring anyway. But for now, I'll tackle these buggers. I hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lfc1234

I used SuperNemos for leatherjackets on the lawn last year and it did the trick for me. Hopefully it stays like that.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I was thinking I would need to rake out the thatch, maybe at the start of the season next year, and overseed those areas?

Re: those lifting grass sections I mention, can they re-root themselves if the grubs are gone?

I wouldn't have thought so :/ They'll dry out and get blown away ...

Has anyone ever used the tarpulin method, laying it on lawn and lifting it in morning and having all the little grubs on the surface?
    (to either collect by hand or have the birds eat them)

Re: the treatment itself, I am hoping it will work but I have read plenty of bad reviews online saying it made no difference.
    Does anyone know if you can buy a chemical version in Ireland or UK? I can only find it in the US online.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used the tarpulin method, laying it on lawn and lifting it in morning and having all the little grubs on the surface?
    (to either collect by hand or have the birds eat them)

Re: the treatment itself, I am hoping it will work but I have read plenty of bad reviews online saying it made no difference.
    Does anyone know if you can buy a chemical version in Ireland or UK? I can only find it in the US online.
    I did the tarpaulin the last time i had them, but only to see - and yes, they did crawl out. Unfortunately, with 3 cats and a dog here now -that's not an option.
    I don't think you'll get any chemical for them in the EU. Weird that something isn't been made ....

So, having ordered SuperNemos nematodes, i got an email tonight to say that garden shop.ie cannot fulfill order. Still no sign of them at Mr Middleton, so where now?! 😥😥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

So, having ordered SuperNemos nematodes, i got an email tonight to say that garden shop.ie cannot fulfill order. Still no sign of them at Mr Middleton, so where now?! 😥😥

Buy it directly from them in the UK. There's a note on their website saying that they'll process it direct due to Covid 19 issues.

http://www.supernemos.com/purchase-for-use-in-republic-o/

• Advertisement

Buy it directly from them in the UK. There's a note on their website saying that they'll process it direct due to Covid 19 issues.

Extraordinary. They didn't say that in their long email. I don't know what's going on there. This is a snippet from their email ...

"We’ve have been dealing with the company for 5 yrs & we have never had a delayed delivery in that time

But they are recently under new management & their customer service & business focus has changed

There are only 3 manufacturer’s in the world for this product & this is why we stuck with them

But given recent dealings we are concerned that Supernemos retail packs will no longer be available in Ireland from 2021"

I'll keep looking for other options I think ...

And it links back to the Garden Shop website. So, nope, no good. But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Read the Web page properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

"High demand for gardening products caused by Covid may cause difficulties in processing your order with our Irish distributor. Should you encounter any delays, please feel free to order from our ‘buy in the UK’ page. We will process your order without delay. "

"High demand for gardening products caused by Covid may cause difficulties in processing your order with our Irish distributor. Should you encounter any delays, please feel free to order from our ‘buy in the UK’ page. We will process your order without delay. "

The 2nd last sentence gives you a clue where to get them

Well, not really - as it IS confusing. Lost a few days - but ordered now! Thanks for correcting me guys! :o

I bought mine off eBay.

Is it not getting to cold and wet for them now

Is it not getting to cold and wet for them now

It's borderline on ground temperatures, certainly - but I've gotta try. Not forecast too bad this week. I've lost a month waiting on 2 previous orders.

• Advertisement

It's borderline on ground temperatures, certainly - but I've gotta try. Not forecast too bad this week. I've lost a month waiting on 2 previous orders.

Have you a link to eBay

Advertisement