Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Social housing destruction. Burnt out. Now horse stables!

«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭ flazio


    Legally, what can be done that won't have another section of the county or country having the exact same problem in a year's time?
    Personally, I think it's criminal damage of state property and should prosecuted as if they did it to City Hall.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo


    Any tenants involved in these destructions of property should be black listed and have zero access to any housing supports. But everyone knows that'll never happen as nobody has the gumption to prosecute these people.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 NasserShammaz


    Looks like a disease spreading on a petra dish. I can't imagine what it's like for any decent people living next to these fu$kin animals


  • Registered Users Posts: 47,081 ✭✭✭✭ tayto lover


    The entitled will only look for more.


  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ RainNeverBow


    Those who have destroyed the houses should absolutely face prosecution. You can't blacklisy people sadly though because the government has a responsibility to house people.

    That said Cllr Noel Larkin hired a drone this week to go over this area to score some goals just before the election

    Like his stunt a bit ago where he dug through some illegal dumping to find peoples addresses rather than calling the council. He literally just corrupted the evidence rather than doing anything useful

    Noel Larkin does not care about Ballybane. He has been an invisible Councillor riding on coattails for the past 5 years. He has done nothing for ballybane. The only time he talks about it is to give out about it. He had no interest in creating a sustainable community. He only wants to get votes. If re-elected he will disappear after May again, find himself in some cozy little pact and do nothing.

    I lived in Ballybane for a year. It is far from perfect. It's got a lot of issue. The one in the article is a real issue. But I don't believe the people raising about it genuinely care about Ballybane. You won't see them in the library, at local meetings, at litter cleanups or at schools. So long as we allow right wingers to frame these conversations nothing will get fixed.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭ xtradel


    Those who have destroyed the houses should absolutely face prosecution. You can't blacklisy people sadly though because the government has a responsibility to house people.

    That said Cllr Noel Larkin hired a drone this week to go over this area to score some goals just before the election

    Like his stunt a bit ago where he dug through some illegal dumping to find peoples addresses rather than calling the council. He literally just corrupted the evidence rather than doing anything useful

    Noel Larkin does not care about Ballybane. He has been an invisible Councillor riding on coattails for the past 5 years. He has done nothing for ballybane. The only time he talks about it is to give out about it. He had no interest in creating a sustainable community. He only wants to get votes. If re-elected he will disappear after May again, find himself in some cozy little pact and do nothing.

    I lived in Ballybane for a year. It is far from perfect. It's got a lot of issue. The one in the article is a real issue. But I don't believe the people raising about it genuinely care about Ballybane. You won't see them in the library, at local meetings, at litter cleanups or at schools. So long as we allow right wingers to frame these conversations nothing will get fixed.

    If I go to any of these things will it change the attitude of these residents that were highlighted?


  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ RainNeverBow


    xtradel wrote: »
    If I go to any of these things will it change the attitude of these residents that were highlighted?

    No sadly don't think so. But there's more to erasing the criminals who should face justice. Need to create communities where it's less likely to happen. Not a coincidence that where communties that have strong activity have the least crime. And that requires things to be lead by who's vested interest is in creating something new. Councillors who get votes from this stuff have no incentive to prevent this stuff, only to manage it for votes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 897 shenanagans


    Those who have destroyed the houses should absolutely face prosecution. You can't blacklisy people sadly though because the government has a responsibility to house people.

    That said Cllr Noel Larkin hired a drone this week to go over this area to score some goals just before the election

    Like his stunt a bit ago where he dug through some illegal dumping to find peoples addresses rather than calling the council. He literally just corrupted the evidence rather than doing anything useful

    Noel Larkin does not care about Ballybane. He has been an invisible Councillor riding on coattails for the past 5 years. He has done nothing for ballybane. The only time he talks about it is to give out about it. He had no interest in creating a sustainable community. He only wants to get votes. If re-elected he will disappear after May again, find himself in some cozy little pact and do nothing.

    I lived in Ballybane for a year. It is far from perfect. It's got a lot of issue. The one in the article is a real issue. But I don't believe the people raising about it genuinely care about Ballybane. You won't see them in the library, at local meetings, at litter cleanups or at schools. So long as we allow right wingers to frame these conversations nothing will get fixed.

    Totally agree that those responsible should be prosecuted. There's a housing crisis and its a disgrace that the city council sit by and do nothing in a situation like this.

    I'm not interested in the upcoming local elections, but it's a fair point that it's probably a publicity stunt from Larkin. Let's see what he does about it between now and the elections.

    Note that area wasn't mentioned in the title of trend or my comments. I have nothing against the area.... Its the actions of the people involved.


  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ RainNeverBow


    Totally agree that those responsible should be prosecuted. There's a housing crisis and its a disgrace that the city council sit by and do nothing in a situation like this.

    I'm not interested in the upcoming local elections, but it's a fair point that it's probably a publicity stunt from Larkin. Let's see what he does about it between now and the elections.

    Note that area wasn't mentioned in the title of trend or my comments. I have nothing against the area.... Its the actions of the people involved.

    Wasn't a dig at you man. Just think it's important to note. Just something that grinds my goat. Hopefully something good will come of this


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,329 ✭✭✭✭ ben.schlomo


    Those who have destroyed the houses should absolutely face prosecution. You can't blacklisy people sadly though because the government has a responsibility to house people.

    That said Cllr Noel Larkin hired a drone this week to go over this area to score some goals just before the election

    Like his stunt a bit ago where he dug through some illegal dumping to find peoples addresses rather than calling the council. He literally just corrupted the evidence rather than doing anything useful

    Noel Larkin does not care about Ballybane. He has been an invisible Councillor riding on coattails for the past 5 years. He has done nothing for ballybane. The only time he talks about it is to give out about it. He had no interest in creating a sustainable community. He only wants to get votes. If re-elected he will disappear after May again, find himself in some cozy little pact and do nothing.

    I lived in Ballybane for a year. It is far from perfect. It's got a lot of issue. The one in the article is a real issue. But I don't believe the people raising about it genuinely care about Ballybane. You won't see them in the library, at local meetings, at litter cleanups or at schools. So long as we allow right wingers to frame these conversations nothing will get fixed.
    You say you can't blacklist people, but what would your solution be for those who destroy properties that the public purse has paid for? Give them another one? Fool me once.......


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ Time


    I've said it before and i'll say it again, we need to have something along the line of the "scum villages" they have in the Netherlands, where people like this are moved, and live in what are essentially shipping containers. The government fulfils its obligations, and if these animals don't like it they're free to pay for their own accommodation at full market rate.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    Please stop referring to these people as "animals". They are still people.

    Even on Google maps you can see the dire state of the place.
    For some reason the google streetview car did not drive through this estate.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fana+Glas,+Galway/@53.2849042,-8.9969146,123m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x485b9139e5928c27:0x84b95df2cdeda762!8m2!3d53.2847204!4d-8.997471


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    What's the evidence that the house burning down was malicious and not accidental?


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,888 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    DaCor wrote: »
    What's the evidence that the house burning down was malicious and not accidental?

    Exactly. And even if it was, how would the council ever get evidence about who exactly did what.




    It's only 1-2 generations since the video below was made. Most of the kids in it will now be adults living in the area. Given the situation they were brought up in, it's hardly surprising that some don't know how to look after houses. If anything the amazing thing is that some of their own children are doing so well. (Yes, some aren't. But I've met some who are too.)

    It's easy to say "don't give them another" - but what exactly should be done with the people involved. Private sector landlords aren't exactly going to take 'em. There will be complaints left right and centre if they move into caravans anywhere. Shooting them is illegal. What other options are there???

    Arrgh ... not my day for getting the embedding thing working. Here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8toal4297g


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,933 ✭✭✭✭ TerrorFirmer


    DaCor wrote: »
    What's the evidence that the house burning down was malicious and not accidental?

    5 out of the 8 units are uninhabitable due to severe damage.

    One is completely destroyed, several others are very badly damaged, boarded up and stripped of fittings.

    One former home is supposedly being used as stables for horses. There's illegal burning being carried out on a pretty widespread scale.

    I don't think there's any question of the wider destruction being a simple misfortune in all fairness.

    These people should be prosecuted, and ideally blacklisted.


  • Registered Users Posts: 897 shenanagans


    At the very least whoever has/had the leases should be asked for an explanation. Cause? Time frame?

    If no account is given then any/all benefits should be suspended.... If they are in receipt of any benefits.

    Also the council should be doing more to monitor instances like this. These houses are clearly inhabitable for a long time.... What the hell have they done about it? Nothing.

    Its shocking for people living nearby. The council should be held to account. What's being done? When will site be cleaned up? Fire hasard to surrounding residents!

    Some people in the council need to get of their backsides and do their jobs. Turning a blind eye is unacceptable.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭ Bredabe


    DaCor wrote: »
    What's the evidence that the house burning down was malicious and not accidental?

    The cllr who was speaking on the radio about the footage went out of his way to say something to the effect that he was not 'just blaming travellers';)
    Last I saw, the whole interview was on the gbfm www.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭ tipptom


    Is this or was a purpose built enclave for travellers?

    No where have I seen or heard travellers being mentioned on this thread or the radio programme even though the destruction to the houses that was given to them,the stabling of horses,the dumping and burning of rubbish and general destroying and pollution of the environment has all the hallmarks of what travellers are doing to purpose built houses for them all over the country.

    The more people are afraid to call them out on this systematic behaviour the longer it becomes engrained as their culture and the taxpayer continues to suffer through fear.


  • Registered Users Posts: 23,888 ✭✭✭✭ Mrs OBumble


    tipptom wrote: »
    Is this or was a purpose built enclave for travellers?

    No where have I seen or heard travellers being mentioned on this thread or the radio programme even though the destruction to the houses that was given to them,the stabling of horses,the dumping and burning of rubbish and general destroying and pollution of the environment has all the hallmarks of what travellers are doing to purpose built houses for them all over the country.

    The more people are afraid to call them out on this systematic behaviour the longer it becomes engrained as their culture and the taxpayer continues to suffer through fear.

    Most travellers do not treat their housing in the way shown in the drone footage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    You would wonder what thoughts the fire brigade have in relation to causes etc. But the council have the details of all occupiers and am sure are making their investigations and prosecutions if appropriate. I just wish they would keep citizens informed of all of that. I wonder where the people who were given these houses are living now?
    As regards who lives or lived there, the council has that information and should let us know. I wouldn't like a person involved in the burning of a house (if it wasn't an accident) come to live next door to me.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭ tipptom


    Most travellers do not treat their housing in the way shown in the drone footage.
    Where have I said most travellers?


  • Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ Time


    biko wrote: »
    Please stop referring to these people as "animals". They are still people

    Yes, they are. But what is a better term for people who cause that much damage to where they live? Those houses are set back in their own cul de sac, which itself is remote enough, so it's obviously not other people coming by dumping all that rubbish, and bin services are readily available there. So there is absolutely no excuse at all for acting that way, especially in a house provided by the state. The bottom line is they have no respect for themselves, the environment or society in general if they act like that so i stand by my statement and my suggestion of what to do with them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭ bobbyss


    It's easy to say "don't give them another" - but what exactly should be done with the people involved. Private sector landlords aren't exactly going to take 'em. There will be complaints left right and centre if they move into caravans anywhere. Shooting them is illegal. What other options are there???


    I take your point about Travellers not knowing how to look after a house bearing in mind where they come from. Up to a point.
    But I think everybody knows the diference between having a house to live in and turning your house into a stable for your horses to live in-if that in fact is the case. (And what a luxury in life to be able to afford the horses)

    I think the fundamental problem is a lack of education.Traveller girls leave education before, at or just after Junior Cert. Many get married at 18 or thereabouts. They have little interest or value in education. The more education the more choices. I've not seen that film before and how disappointing it is to see another eulogy of Travellers in the media. Did I hear the 'strong men' look after the horses? Did I hear a kid say the Travellers are bringing the old ways back by having horses? I don't know who the presenter was (?) and if he wants to make a film about Travellers' plight then fair enough. It would be nice if were balanced and truthful also.
    It would also be interesting to hear what Pavee Point think about those houses. You're likely to hear them make noise when a report from the EU or the UN points a finger at the government, but have little to say about stuff like this.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx


    The entitled will only look for more.

    And why not when they have SF, PBP and RTE to speak up for them?

    It's middle Ireland workers who are voiceless


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx


    Those who have destroyed the houses should absolutely face prosecution. You can't blacklisy people sadly though because the government has a responsibility to house people.

    That said Cllr Noel Larkin hired a drone this week to go over this area to score some goals just before the election

    Like his stunt a bit ago where he dug through some illegal dumping to find peoples addresses rather than calling the council. He literally just corrupted the evidence rather than doing anything useful

    Noel Larkin does not care about Ballybane. He has been an invisible Councillor riding on coattails for the past 5 years. He has done nothing for ballybane. The only time he talks about it is to give out about it. He had no interest in creating a sustainable community. He only wants to get votes. If re-elected he will disappear after May again, find himself in some cozy little pact and do nothing.

    I lived in Ballybane for a year. It is far from perfect. It's got a lot of issue. The one in the article is a real issue. But I don't believe the people raising about it genuinely care about Ballybane. You won't see them in the library, at local meetings, at litter cleanups or at schools. So long as we allow right wingers to frame these conversations nothing will get fixed.

    You have got to be joking!

    " right wingers framing the conversation"

    The narative surrounding people who take no responsibility for themselves and cause annoyance to everyone else has been completely dominated by the left for thirty years.

    Your approach has utterly failed


  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ RainNeverBow


    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    You have got to be joking!

    " right wingers framing the conversation"

    The narative surrounding people who take no responsibility for themselves and cause annoyance to everyone else has been completely dominated by the left for thirty years.

    Your approach has utterly failed

    A completely farce. Right wing politicans have dominated Irish politics for the past thirty years. The only time you could argue they didn't was a brief time in the 90's. The right wing approach has failed


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx


    tipptom wrote: »
    Is this or was a purpose built enclave for travellers?

    No where have I seen or heard travellers being mentioned on this thread or the radio programme even though the destruction to the houses that was given to them,the stabling of horses,the dumping and burning of rubbish and general destroying and pollution of the environment has all the hallmarks of what travellers are doing to purpose built houses for them all over the country.

    The more people are afraid to call them out on this systematic behaviour the longer it becomes engrained as their culture and the taxpayer continues to suffer through fear.

    The media deliberately withold the fact travellers are involved in wrongdoing, only when it's a cuddly traveller story is their " culture" referred to


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx


    A completely farce. Right wing politicans have dominated Irish politics for the past thirty years. The only time you could argue they didn't was a brief time in the 90's. The right wing approach has failed

    Your utterly deluded if you think anything approaching right wing policy has touched any area of this country socially for decades , policy has been directed by the left, the result is an underclass who have no regard for anyone, enough pandering to the feckless, we had no money fifty years ago yet we didn't have feral communities scattered throughout the country, we need a proper stick approach with regard law enforcement forcement, endless carrot as lobbied for by clueless bleeding hearts has utterly failed

    The left have cheered on the downgrading of the family unit as the basis for society and encouraged a culture of dependency towards mammy state


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭ DaCor


    Politics Forum is that way ---->


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,743 ✭✭✭✭ zell12


    The Donovan and McDonagh-Delaney families say Cllr Noel Larkin, did a “good thing” in releasing drone footage in the weeks preceding recent local elections showing houses burnt out and piles of rubbish around their group-housing scheme in Ballybane

    Other families moved out in the past decade, their houses left empty too, they say. The properties have been vandalised and stripped over the years by people from outside the estate, they claim. The dumping too, they say, is by outsiders – including Travellers.
    Mr McDonagh points to boulders around the entrance to the scheme, which he says he asked the council for, to stop vans reversing in and out.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/galway-travellers-delighted-that-dumping-and-vandalism-exposed-1.3912804


Advertisement