Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

mgn wrote: »
    Scientists will say whatever their employers tell them to say, no difference to the car salesman that trying to sell a car that he knows its a heap of scrap, but has to say it's great car because that's his job.

I now live in the country where i was brought up nearly 50 years ago, i see no changes around apart from the odd new house or shed that went up over the years, and before you start on about all these one off houses, for every one new house that was built, 3 or 4 older one closed up.
    The other thing is 100s of acres of trees has being planted around my area, also hedges around houses and shelter belts for cattle.
    The same wildlife is still around, the place full of birds in summer time no change there.
    So these city folk who are getting brainwashed by the media, and schoolkids by their teachers, can i make a suggestion, some weekend head down the country with the kids for the weekend, away from the usual tourist spots and off the beaten track, I think you will find that its not this country that is causing the problems.

The rapid reduction of the global biosphere is an irrefutable fact. You cannot be serious that because you don’t see it outside your window that it’s not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

The rapid reduction of the global biosphere is an irrefutable fact. You cannot be serious that because you don’t see it outside your window that it’s not happening.

And you can't be serious if you think a little island like this is going to make one bit of difference.
    Have a look at a globe if you can find one to see how small we are.

All this is doing is making Leo and his buddies look in Europe, and when their political careers come to an end here, then of to Brussels for a nice cushy number.
    Meanwhile tax the peasants in the name of climate change, and the funny thing is, the can't complain because the fu*king asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And you can't be serious if you think a little island like this is going to make one bit of difference.
    Have a look at a globe if you can find one to see how small we are.

All this is doing is making Leo and his buddies look in Europe, and when their political careers come to an end here, then of to Brussels for a nice cushy number.
    Meanwhile tax the peasants in the name of climate change, and the funny thing is, the can't complain because the fu*king asked for it.

Even though we are a small island, we're still f*cking up our own back yard (apart from yours which is a bustling wildlife habitat apparently)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/report-confirms-acceleration-of-species-loss-and-habitat-deterioration-1.3893077

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/biodiversity-irelands-top-10/10-species-risk-losing/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/species-decline-doesn-t-just-happen-elsewhere-it-s-a-serious-irish-problem-1.3793998

50% of our freshwaters are polluted, salmon on its way out, curlew almost gone, bee numbers halved... Nothing to see here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Even though we are a small island, we're still f*cking up our own back yard (apart from yours which is a bustling wildlife habitat apparently)

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/report-confirms-acceleration-of-species-loss-and-habitat-deterioration-1.3893077

http://www.biodiversityireland.ie/biodiversity-irelands-top-10/10-species-risk-losing/

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/species-decline-doesn-t-just-happen-elsewhere-it-s-a-serious-irish-problem-1.3793998

50% of our freshwaters are polluted, salmon on its way out, curlew almost gone, bee numbers halved... Nothing to see here folks.

Just open a can, draw the curtains and watch the soccer.

As i said before get out the city for a few days , you might actually see what's going on, instead of being stuck on the internet all day reading rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Salmon are stupid and don't even have legs, I don't know what a curlew is and everyone hates bees.

See, I've totally debunked your so called "facts" with logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Well I keep being told that the "working classes" don't care about climate change because they're too busy worrying about bills etc. Last time I checked I had working class parents and I now live in a council estate, albeit I bought my house. So I'm just trying to understand why you think people with trades or in factories or whatever don't care about the planet?
    I don't buy organic food either.

It was you not me that said that working class people don't care about the environment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

There are a lot fewer insects around nowadays though, with the exception of gnats, those fookers don't seem to die. Remember when you'd go for a drive and the windscreen would look like something from a horror film afterwards? You don't see that anymore. I care about the environment and I care about trying to keep damage to a minimum but I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about whether or not my ''carbon footprint'' is having an impact on the global environment, it isn't. No matter how much I recycle not a single fricking jot of difference will be made.

blueshade wrote: »
    There are a lot fewer insects around nowadays though, with the exception of gnats, those fookers don't seem to die. Remember when you'd go for a drive and the windscreen would look like something from a horror film afterwards? You don't see that anymore. I care about the environment and I care about trying to keep damage to a minimum but I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about whether or not my ''carbon footprint'' is having an impact on the global environment, it isn't. No matter how much I recycle not a single fricking jot of difference will be made.

With respect, if we all took your passive attitude to world issues we'd be overrun by warlords and despots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,729 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

:rolleyes:
    The Gulf Stream current in the Atlantic, which warms Europe, has also slowed by 15% since the mid-20th century. “That is just about in the range of natural variability, but it is also hard to rule out that it is part of a longer downturn,” Lenton said.

Yeah, that's a real worry in terms of Global Warming, now isn't it? :rolleyes:

blueshade wrote: »

The reason the windscreens don't get splattered with as many flies anymore, is because cars nowadays are more aerodynamic than older models, the older type cars where more box like.

The reason the windscreens don't get splattered with as many flies anymore, is because cars nowadays are more aerodynamic than older models, the older type cars where more box like.

You really have proved yourself not to be very bright in your last few posts.

Explain please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Could you prehaps refute the comment instead of getting personal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

Of course he can’t, that would involve coming down off his high horse.

Of course he can’t, that would involve coming down off his high horse.

The ironing is delicious.

Back in September, the Rockies in the US got a bit of snow:
    Record snow, cold, slams northern U.S. Rockies with winter-like weather
    Sep 30th 2019 5:47AM

Midwinter-like weather clobbered the northern Rockies Sunday and into Monday, making early Autumn feel like deep winter, while as much as 4 feet (121 cm) of snow fell in places and hard-hit Montana declared a state of emergency to clear blocked roads.

"You have to go back to the 1930s before you find another storm like this, this early in the season," said Josh Weiss, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service's (NWS) Weather Prediction Center.

Much of Canada didn't get an Autumn, it was skipped and went straight to winter with snow falling and ruining grian crops that were about to be harvested - in October!.

Now in the US, there are warnings that people should not travel for Thanksgiving due to major snowstorms
    Winter storms disrupt Thanksgiving travel
    Two potent winter storms have brought significant snowfall, blizzards, freezing rain and strong winds to parts of the USA.

Don't worry folks, it's all just part of Global warming.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Back in September, the Rockies in the US got a bit of snow:

Much of Canada didn't get an Autumn, it was skipped and went straight to winter with snow falling and ruining grian crops that were about to be harvested - in October!.

Now in the US, there are warnings that people should not travel for Thanksgiving due to major snowstorms

Don't worry folks, it's all just part of Global warming.

Don't worry folks, it's all just part of Global warming

Whoops, apocalypse cancelled:
    Why Apocalyptic Claims About Climate Change Are Wrong

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/11/25/why-everything-they-say-about-climate-change-is-wrong/#3f9407e312d6

And it's written by a climate activist who is a true believer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

The ironing is delicious.

It would be delicious if I had a high horse- unfortunately I’m not in the ranks of the “believers” a.k.a gullible clowns, like yourself ;)

Whoops, apocalypse cancelled:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelshellenberger/2019/11/25/why-everything-they-say-about-climate-change-is-wrong/#3f9407e312d6

And it's written by a climate activist who is a true believer.

Hmmm. These are all of Shellenberg's articles on his Environmental Progress (of which he is founder and president) website:

Why HBO's "Chernobyl" Gets Nuclear So Wrong Forbes, June 6, 2019
    Why Renewables Advocates Protect Fossil Fuel Interests, Not The Climate, Forbes, March 28, 2019
    Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet, Quillette, March 27, 2019
    It Sounds Crazy, But Fukushima, Chernobyl, And Three Mile Island Show Why Nuclear Is Inherently Safe, Forbes, March 11, 2019
    The Real Reason They Hate Nuclear Is Because It Means We Don't Need Renewables, Forbes, February 14, 2019
    The Only Green New Deals That Have Ever Worked Were Done With Nuclear, Not Renewables, Forbes, February 8, 2019
    Green New Deal Excludes Nuclear And Would Thus Increase Emissions -- Just Like It Did In Vermont, Forbes, February 7, 2019
    If Progressive Democrats Care So Much About The Climate, Why Are They Trying to Kill Nuclear Power? Forbes, January 17, 2019
    Book Review: On the Former Nuclear Regulatory Chairman’s Rocky Tenure and Resignation, Washington Post, January 17, 2019
    Pro-Nuclear Activists Win Landslide Electoral Victory In Taiwan, Forbes, November 24, 2018
    As Renewables Drive Up Energy Prices, Voters In U.S., Asia & Europe Are Opting For Nuclear Power, Forbes, November 8, 2018
    Danger’s Deliverance, Quillette, August 23, 2018
    As Heatwave Tests The Limits Of Renewables, Anti-Nuclear Governments Return To Nuclear, Forbes, July 26, 2018
    TEDx: Why I Changed My Mind About Nuclear Power, 2017
    TED: How fear of nuclear hurts the environment, 2016
    Nuclear power: Unexpected health benefits :: April 3, 2017

He's obviously lobbying for something. Just can't quite put my finger on it...

It would be delicious if I had a high horse- unfortunately I’m not in the ranks of the “believers” a.k.a gullible clowns, like yourself ;)

Whooosh!

Hmmm. These are all of Shellenberg's articles on his Environmental Progress (of which he is founder and president) website:

Why HBO's "Chernobyl" Gets Nuclear So Wrong Forbes, June 6, 2019
    Why Renewables Advocates Protect Fossil Fuel Interests, Not The Climate, Forbes, March 28, 2019
    Why Renewables Can’t Save the Planet, Quillette, March 27, 2019
    It Sounds Crazy, But Fukushima, Chernobyl, And Three Mile Island Show Why Nuclear Is Inherently Safe, Forbes, March 11, 2019
    The Real Reason They Hate Nuclear Is Because It Means We Don't Need Renewables, Forbes, February 14, 2019
    The Only Green New Deals That Have Ever Worked Were Done With Nuclear, Not Renewables, Forbes, February 8, 2019
    Green New Deal Excludes Nuclear And Would Thus Increase Emissions -- Just Like It Did In Vermont, Forbes, February 7, 2019
    If Progressive Democrats Care So Much About The Climate, Why Are They Trying to Kill Nuclear Power? Forbes, January 17, 2019
    Book Review: On the Former Nuclear Regulatory Chairman’s Rocky Tenure and Resignation, Washington Post, January 17, 2019
    Pro-Nuclear Activists Win Landslide Electoral Victory In Taiwan, Forbes, November 24, 2018
    As Renewables Drive Up Energy Prices, Voters In U.S., Asia & Europe Are Opting For Nuclear Power, Forbes, November 8, 2018
    Danger’s Deliverance, Quillette, August 23, 2018
    As Heatwave Tests The Limits Of Renewables, Anti-Nuclear Governments Return To Nuclear, Forbes, July 26, 2018
    TEDx: Why I Changed My Mind About Nuclear Power, 2017
    TED: How fear of nuclear hurts the environment, 2016
    Nuclear power: Unexpected health benefits :: April 3, 2017

You and your kind are like a small autistic female child, about to drown in rough seas, who's thrown a rope from a passing boat, and who looks at the rope in horror and shouts weakly at the boat:

"is this rope made from polyester?"

"Yes" shouts the good Samaritan.

Miss autistic then lets go of the rope in horror and cries:

"haven't you got one made of hemp, or sisal?"

"No." shouts the GS.

Then a big wave dumps on her stupid head and she drowns.

There's really, really thick..

Then there are anti-vaxers..

And then there's people concerned about CO2 and who believe the planet is in dire trouble, but who are staunchly anti-nuclear and would rather life on Earth perished, than grab that sort of rope,.

You and your kind are like a small autistic female child, about to drown in rough seas, who's thrown a rope from a passing boat, and who looks at the rope in horror and shouts weakly at the boat:

"is this rope made from polyester?"

"Yes" shouts the good Samaritan.

Miss autistic then lets go of the rope in horror and cries:

"haven't you got one made of hemp, or sisal?"

"No." shouts the GS.

Then a big wave dumps on her stupid head and she drowns.

There's really, really thick..

Then there ar anti-vaxers..

And then there's people concerned about CO2 and who believe the planet is in dire trouble but who are staunchly anti-nuclear.

Well done.

Well done.

My son has Aspergers, I have special dispensation.

My son has Aspergers, I have special dispensation.

Sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭SeanW

Actual meaningful solutions to the anthropogenic climate change problems?

I know, what a monster - actually trying to solve the problem instead of using it as a pretext to scam everyone and drive civilisation back to the Feudal Age, like the mainstream Left is doing.. Doesn't he know that you should never let a crisis go to waste? What a horrible person. :pac:

remember that Ireland gave control of energy policy to the mainstream environmental movement in 1978 and Germany did so in 2011. The results? Lots of needless CO2. Right now, France generates 78g/CO2/kwh for the energy it uses. In Ireland that's 453g/CO2/kwh emissions. Way more, all needless. the difference between 78g and 453g? France generates nuclear electricity, Ireland does not. That's a choice, and choices have consequences.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=FR

Advocates of weather based "renewables" have had really since the middle of the last century to prove that they are the solution to environmental problems. They're not. They're a scam. An expensive, unreliable, pointlessly destructive, dirty folly. And in terms of mitigating climate change? They're a miserable failure. Yet the environmental mainstream keeps promoting them while actively campaigning against actual, real, meaningful solutions?

SeanW wrote: »
    Actual meaningful solutions to the anthropogenic climate change problems?

I know, what a monster - actually trying to solve the problem instead of using it as a pretext to scam everyone and drive civilisation back to the Feudal Age, like the mainstream Left is doing.. Doesn't he know that you should never let a crisis go to waste? What a horrible person. :pac:

remember that Ireland gave control of energy policy to the mainstream environmental movement in 1978 and Germany did so in 2011. The results? Lots of needless CO2. Right now, France generates 78g/CO2/kwh for the energy it uses. In Ireland that's 453g/CO2/kwh emissions. Way more, all needless. the difference between 78g and 453g? France generates nuclear electricity, Ireland does not. That's a choice, and choices have consequences.

https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=FR

Advocates of weather based "renewables" have had really since the middle of the last century to prove that they are the solution to environmental problems. They're not. They're a scam. An expensive, unreliable, pointlessly destructive, dirty folly. And in terms of mitigating climate change? They're a miserable failure. Yet the environmental mainstream keeps promoting them while actively campaigning against actual, real, meaningful solutions?

I wouldn't agree with everything you say but I do think nuclear power may have a place. However, the SEAI believes that wind power is the way forward for Ireland and has the potential to see Ireland exporting excess wind-generated electricity within 15 years.

• Advertisement

He thinks wildlife and ecosystems in Ireland are fine and dandy because he sees insects and stuff around his house wherever he lives. I posted many links proving otherwise which he brushed off saying not to believe everything you read on the internet. I'm sorry but that's just f*cking stupid.

Advertisement