Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Death waiting for all systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Jimmy have you been up all night on a coke bender?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Had enough of The climate repentance. The hive mind. The Borg Kick.back

Look, just save up all your plastic and burn it in the stove at 03:00 - you'll feel much better for it, I know I do.

Post Soviet and allergic to the trademark religious placebo social engineering that is rearing its ugly beardy head again and pretending to be something else. Same old dogsh!t sandwich rebranded and hard sold by the same type of mind warped zealots. Out last night not caring about my carbon footprint or climate justice,.

• Advertisement

I'm actually worried now

Jimmy have you been up all night on a coke bender?

No, but that would be better than the monkish flagellation that you enjoy, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

🙈🙉🙊

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

If Ireland's extinction rebellion chapter had to work for a living they would probably die.

Sky news had a segment on today about the whole Extinction Rebellion nonsense over there. Watching it is basically watching privileged middle class anarchists who've never done a days work in their lives encourage the workshy, the wealthy woke pensioners and students to use their free time to block people who are trying to get to work. There was a bit of posh totty coming out of her tent to show everyone the ''meditation circle'', then she showed a list of group events that the ''activists'' could attend, one of a long list of pretentious time wasting twaddle was ''Eco Poetry''. There was probably a pubic hair braiding group sharing tips on the best moon cups.

The only entertaining bit was the middle aged middle class guy who went to a mainly ethnic working class area of London and got a good kicking for stopping the train and delaying people on their way to work. It doesn't look or feel like a protest so much as a gathering of people looking for a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

It's utter bull*hit, that is all.....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

blueshade wrote: »
    Sky news had a segment on today about the whole Extinction Rebellion nonsense over there. Watching it is basically watching privileged middle class anarchists who've never done a days work in their lives encourage the workshy, the wealthy woke pensioners and students to use their free time to block people who are trying to get to work. There was a bit of posh totty coming out of her tent to show everyone the ''meditation circle'', then she showed a list of group events that the ''activists'' could attend, one of a long list of pretentious time wasting twaddle was ''Eco Poetry''. There was probably a pubic hair braiding group sharing tips on the best moon cups.

The only entertaining bit was the middle aged middle class guy who went to a mainly ethnic working class area of London and got a good kicking for stopping the train and delaying people on their way to work. It doesn't look or feel like a protest so much as a gathering of people looking for a party.
    Their meetings with the working class never go well = Nothing in Common ya see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Well done to SKY for showing up these fools for what the really are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

blinding wrote: »
    Their meetings with the working class never go well = Nothing in Common ya see

Are you saying the working class don't think beyond the next paycheck so can't give big issues like how we're f*cking up the planet any thought?
    I'd agree with that, but someone needs to do something.

For who?. The people lying on hospital trolleys all over the country.

I think it's time we go our priorities in order in this country, instead of this climate change bulls*it 24/7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

Are you saying the working class don't think beyond the next paycheck so can't give big issues like how we're f*cking up the planet any thought?
    I'd agree with that, but someone needs to do something.

That's an extremely patronising view to take. You're saying that people on low or fixed incomes don't have the ability to understand climate change. For most people on a low of fixed income the main priorities for them are making their money stretch to cover the rent/mortgage, pay the bills and put food on the table. Yes they are worried about the environment but no, they aren't going to buy fair trade organic whatever your having yourself they will buy the cheaper version of whatever it is that they need.

Ironically enough, the people wearing the protest t-shirts aren't taking into account the tens of thousands of litres of water it takes to produce a t-shirt or that most of what they are wearing is made in developing countries by dirt poor people, including children, for not much more than slave labour. The sheer bang of ignorance off some of your posts is quite breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

When do we start cracking heads and eating the goo inside??

That's an extremely patronising view to take. You're saying that people on low or fixed incomes don't have the ability to understand climate change. For most people on a low of fixed income the main priorities for them are making their money stretch to cover the rent/mortgage, pay the bills and put food on the table. Yes they are worried about the environment but no, they aren't going to buy fair trade organic whatever your having yourself they will buy the cheaper version of whatever it is that they need.

Ironically enough, the people wearing the protest t-shirts aren't taking into account the tens of thousands of litres of water it takes to produce a t-shirt or that most of what they are wearing is made in developing countries by dirt poor people, including children, for not much more than slave labour. The sheer bang of ignorance off some of your posts is quite breathtaking.

Well I keep being told that the "working classes" don't care about climate change because they're too busy worrying about bills etc. Last time I checked I had working class parents and I now live in a council estate, albeit I bought my house. So I'm just trying to understand why you think people with trades or in factories or whatever don't care about the planet?
    I don't buy organic food either.

Let the people who are worried about climate change, keep on worrying about it.
    But for the people who are not worried, don't ram it down people's throats every time the radio or tv is switched on.
    It will come to a point where people will switch off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

mgn wrote: »
    Let the people who are worried about climate change, keep on worrying about it.
    But for the people who are not worried, don't ram it down people's throats every time the radio or tv is switched on.
    It will come to a point where people will switch off.

The overwhelming view of scientists is that we're on course for a catastrophe. They first raised the alarm 30 years ago. Nothing meaningful was done, in fact things have gotten much worse. Don't you think they have a moral duty to 'ram it down people's throats'?

Even if you don't agree that the warming of the planet is man-made, you must surely have witnessed biodiversity loss? Should we ignore that for fear of people switching off?

• Advertisement

Have they moved on to the latest fashionable cause yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

The overwhelming view of scientists is that we're on course for a catastrophe. They first raised the alarm 30 years ago. Nothing meaningful was done, in fact things have gotten much worse. Don't you think they have a moral duty to 'ram it down people's throats'?

Even if you don't agree that the warming of the planet is man-made, you must surely have witnessed biodiversity loss? Should we ignore that for fear of people switching off?

Do you remember all the predictions by scientists 30 years ago? None materialised, i think there’s another end of world prediction for 2020, you might want to stock up for that event ;-)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Do you remember all the predictions by scientists 30 years ago? None materialised, i think there’s another end of world prediction for 2020, you might want to stock up for that event ;-)
    I missed that one , Nobody told me . Did the world end or did they just move the Dial on to the next one .:eek:

Jaysus years ago when some ejit was going around saying the world was going to end ,people just ignored him/ her or they were sent to the lunatic asylum for a while . Now the internet has allowed these ejits to find one another and organise . Now its the Zombie Apocalypse ! They will destroy the world just to prove themselves right ....Nurse , Nurse , Nurse .

Scientists will say whatever their employers tell them to say, no difference to the car salesman that trying to sell a car that he knows its a heap of scrap, but has to say it's great car because that's his job.

I now live in the country where i was brought up nearly 50 years ago, i see no changes around apart from the odd new house or shed that went up over the years, and before you start on about all these one off houses, for every one new house that was built, 3 or 4 older one closed up.
    The other thing is 100s of acres of trees has being planted around my area, also hedges around houses and shelter belts for cattle.
    The same wildlife is still around, the place full of birds in summer time no change there.
    So these city folk who are getting brainwashed by the media, and schoolkids by their teachers, can i make a suggestion, some weekend head down the country with the kids for the weekend, away from the usual tourist spots and off the beaten track, I think you will find that its not this country that is causing the problems.

mgn wrote: »
    The same wildlife is still around, the place full of birds in summer time no change there.

I honestly worry about the intelligence of humanity if you think wildlife isn't being affected by our carry on. 60% of wildlife gone since the 70s apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

Even in Ireland. Look it up. Many things are endangered now that weren't before. But because you see a few insects and birds out in your field everything is grand. I despair.

Also Ireland is part of the global economy which fuels dirty factories all over the world. To say Ireland is having no effect on anything is ridiculous, it's a global problem and we are high on the consumer scale per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I honestly worry about the intelligence of humanity if you think wildlife isn't being affected by our carry on. 60% of wildlife gone since the 70s apparently.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

Even in Ireland. Look it up. Many things are endangered now that weren't before. But because you see a few insects and birds out in your field everything is grand. I despair.

Poster gave you his opinion but of course you know it all. Typical.. As he said get out of the city more and you'd change your mind, there is no difference I can see in birds/insects per season compared to 25 years ago for example - none.
    Also Ireland is part of the global economy which fuels dirty factories all over the world. To say Ireland is having no effect on anything is ridiculous, it's a global problem and we are high on the consumer scale per capita.

So we buy products from the global economy, boo hoo. That's how the modern world works. There will be no downsizing or reduction of it as XR wish would happen.

Well there's opinions and then there's facts you see...

For a start i live in the country, so i think i know a bit more than you about wildlife in the countryside and not by what i read in that rag the Guardian.

We have no Dinosaurs now, we seem to do fine without them.

• Advertisement

Don't make me laugh, Ireland is only a drop in the ocean,

Advertisement