Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

sabat wrote: »
    I have no issues with people legitimately protesting outside Penneys but the second they go inside a private business then the cops need to go in hard. If the line isn't firmly established now then they'll take it as a green light to force their way into offices, public buildings, even people's homes.

The poster said they were protesting outside, yet he wanted the police to beat the sh*t out of them. Why anyone would give a f*ck what people do to Penney's anyway is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

People should have an issue with Penney's, it's grotesque the amount of crap they produce, that no one really needs. Poor old billionaire polluting Penney's having to put up with a few kids protesting. Yeah get the police to smash up their faces.

People who cannot afford high fashion have no issue with Penny's. If it's so important to make a protest by all means let them feck off to Penny's HQ and while their own the maybe stop off at the Indian and Chinese embassies to air their views aswell

The poster said they were protesting outside, yet he wanted the police to beat the sh*t out of them. Why anyone would give a f*ck what people do to Penney's anyway is beyond me.

They were inside with a megaphone.

People who cannot afford high fashion have no issue with Penny's. If it's so important to make a protest by all means let them feck off to Penny's HQ and while their own the maybe stop off at the Indian and Chinese embassies to air their views aswell

So you think fast fashion should continue as is, even though it's the 2nd biggest polluting industry in the world? You're ok with that? I mean it probably will continue this way, but that's what is killing the planet. And that's what people have a problem with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

The poster said they were protesting outside, yet he wanted the police to beat the sh*t out of them. Why anyone would give a f*ck what people do to Penney's anyway is beyond me

Because people work and shop there you ignoramous? True colors shown now though so good man - and yeah they absolutely deserve to get the **** kicked out of them by the gardai.

• Advertisement

So you think fast fashion should continue as is, even though it's the 2nd biggest polluting industry in the world? You're ok with that? I mean it probably will continue this way, but that's what is killing the planet. And that's what people have a problem with.

I think people will continue to buy what they can afford.
    You mean some people have a problem with it. So why aren't they bringing their protests to Penny's HQ or to the embassies of China/India/ Bangladesh where most of this fast fashion is manufactured? Maybe you will gave an answer instead of your usual tactic of responding to a question with a question.

I think people will continue to buy what they can afford.
    You mean some people have a problem with it. So why aren't they bringing their protests to Penny's HQ or to the embassies of China/India/ Bangladesh where most of this fast fashion is manufactured? Maybe you will gave an answer instead of your usual tactic of responding to a question with a question.

Penney's are the ones driving the production. They exploit poor people in these countries to get these garments for next to nothing at a huge cost to the environment. If you have a problem with this, protesting at their shops seems a good idea. I always thought the Henry St one was their HQ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The poster said they were protesting outside, .

In the first sentence yeah. But then they continued and said they entered the shop. You could at least read a post before complaining.

Penney's are the ones driving the production. They exploit poor people in these countries to get these garments for next to nothing at a huge cost to the environment. If you have a problem with this, protesting at their shops seems a good idea. I always thought the Henry St one was their HQ anyway.

Pennys are responding to the market. Are you claiming Penny's are exploiting people. That's a serious allegation to make unless you can back it up. The garment industry introduced a code of practice several years ago which Penny's and others signed. Are you claiming they don't follow their own standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Well to have a different opinion to the bandwagon one is allowed. Nobody knows really. Alot where saying come 2000 midnight they be mayhem with computers. Nothing. Scientists said butter bad now its it good. This stuff is not proven.

Mayhem was averted because governments listened to the scientists and spent hundreds of billions preparing for it to avoid the mayhem.

• Advertisement

Pennys are responding to the market. Are you claiming Penny's are exploiting people. That's a serious allegation to make unless you can back it up. The garment industry introduced a code of practice several years ago which Penny's and others signed. Are you claiming they don't follow their own standards?

They go there because they can have extremely cheap labour, that's what I thought anyway, why else would they be there. I don't think the super polluting business model of Penney's is something we should see as a good business. I used to live with a girl who'd buy a different dress there nearly every time she went out, and we needed about half of a skip to get rid of most of her stuff when moving flats once. That kind of behaviour should be discouraged.

They go there because they can have extremely cheap labour, that's what I thought anyway, why else would they be there. I don't think the super polluting business model of Penney's is something we should see as a good business. I used to live with a girl who'd buy a different dress there nearly every time she went out, and we needed about half of a skip to get rid of most of her stuff when moving flats once. That kind of behaviour should be discouraged.

You alleged that Penny's are engaged in explotation, a simple question are you in a position to back up your allegation with proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If businesses were truly responding to the market, overall storage capacity in retail would be reducing due to this and modern manufacturing methods such as just in time etc, overall storage capacity is increasing. Retail would also not require highly manipulative industries such as marketing and advertisement, to sell their wears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ireland is outside the 50 worst countries for man-made carbon of which ¼ of comes from China. How does Penneys in O'Connell Street contribute to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote:
    Ireland is outside the 50 worst countries for man-made carbon of which ¼ of comes from China. How does Penneys in O'Connell Street contribute to climate change.

Does this really need to be explained!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

20Cent wrote: »
    Mayhem was averted because governments listened to the scientists and spent hundreds of billions preparing for it to avoid the mayhem.

This was propelled at the time by a cohort who then went on to make millions implementing "fixes" for the problem..
    It was nothing short of a charade, probably one of the biggest con jobs in the history of the state.

vriesmays wrote: »

Well according to one of the geniuses protesting fast fashion is causing the sea levels to rise and Ireland will sink.
    This type of nonsense from some of these protesters is what ruins what credibility you could argue they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

railer201 wrote: »
    I would agree, Planet Earth would probably fare out better without us ok.

There is a saying I've heard which stems from the older deep ecology movement with regard to the dynamic earth - that the only environmentally friendly human - is a dead human.

Btw that doesn't call for the end of humankind - - rather points out that the usual screamers can roar and protest and jump and down but in the big scheme of things they are no different from those they decry as 'not doing something' (whatever the fuk that is supposed to mean)

Yeah and I've seen all the arguments for that and got the teeshirt and none of those arguments really stand up to scrutiny tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

In the 19th century thousands of people, including many Irish, were exploited in the Arkwright cotton mills in North West England but that was how they earned their living, it was either that or starve. XR clearly have missed this point. TBH their Penney's in-store megaphone stuff came across as positively cringeworthy, if not grossly unfair to Penney's itself.

You have the IFA guy on the radio saying we produce the best beef the cleanest way in the world, and that Mersucor would mean destruction of the rainforests. Meanwhile importing millions of tonnes of soy from land that used to be said rainforests. What the f*ck like. It seems to me we have way way too many animals on this island if we can't even grow the food to feed them all. But people on these boards just seem to want to keep growing the industry and producing more and more.
    If people just stopped expecting to eat meat 3 times a day I'm sure everyone would pay a bit more. Or maybe it's because we produce so much of it that it's so cheap. Limit production, and put land to other uses that would encourage biodiversity.

The vast majority of the soy fed to animals as feed is waste product from food processing.... for human food.

Land doesnt need to be taken away from animal farming to improve biodiversity, it needs to be farmed along with nature which is possible if the intensity of production is dropped.

The alternative to intensive animal farming isnt no animal farming.

Its extensive farming using methods to increase animal welfare, improve the food produced and benifit the environment by sequestering carbon, using less fertilisers and pesticides, and having animals live in as close to natural conditions as possible.. Promotiong traditional Irish breeds over intensive continental breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Does this really need to be explained!

Yes, I want to know how Penneys contribute to the 0.04% carbon in the atmosphere and how this affects our climate.

So we can keep increasing the herd while improving biodiversity? Can you back up that human soy thing too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dickheads sitting on the road at Merrion Sq causing havoc for commuters. Seen a 2 vans lined up on Westland Row with what looked to be heavies in black. Hope they drag the crusties off the road. Climate change is real but this is not the way to protest.

So we can keep increasing the herd while improving biodiversity? Can you back up that human soy thing too?

You made a claim about Pennys without backing it up, yet you want someone to back up their comments. Hypocrisy at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

_Brian wrote: »
    This was propelled at the time by a cohort who then went on to make millions implementing "fixes" for the problem..
    It was nothing short of a charade, probably one of the biggest con jobs in the history of the state.

Even conspiracy theories require some plausibility.

F

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Shameful carry on.

The managers in Penneys or the guys on the tills are just trying to make a living. They don't give a **** about Penneys so inconveniencing them doesn't do anything. The guys that actually own Penneys or run it are far away.

You made a claim about Pennys without backing it up, yet you want someone to back up their comments. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Ok they don't exploit their staff. Still massive polluters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

20Cent wrote: »
    You really have no idea what you're talking about here.

Missread things anyway you want, but nowhere did I say we can increase the herd and improve biodiversity..

Reading that into what I posted is at best stupid but instead more likely a usual misrepresentation of someone's post to further your argument.

I couldnt be arsed with this sort of intentionally ignorant posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is_that_so wrote: »
    You really have no idea what you're talking about here.

tu quoque

Advertisement