Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

xckjoo wrote: »
    Jesus. How do you get through the day with this level of paranoia? Vegetarianism causes social inequality now.

And it affects your mental capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Harika

Harika wrote: »
    Where are the British storing their nuclear waste?
    Still giggling that the Germans are still temporary storing their nuclear waste until they find a place. Back from the 60s!
    France sends them their stuff until they figure out a way how to move it from this temporary resting place to their final one.
    Like the UK border solution...

New generation molten salt reactors don't have the the same waste issues, they are a lot safer in operation too. Of course such a thing would be blockaded by so called environmentalists in this country who would tantrum and throw all their toys out of their pram as soon as they hear the word nuclear.

As soon as the discussion starts where to store that waste you will find the resistance against atomic reactors is increasing manifold. 500 meters under Dublin would be great and safe, how do you think this discussion will go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

And it affects your mental capacity
    They need one of those laughing face alternatives to 'likes' for posts like this.

I was vegetarian for seven years. My mental capacity before that was the same. My mental capacity since eating meat again was the same.

You can find examples of exceptional intellects who were vegetarian, such as Einstein, Tesla and Pythagoras.

Bizarre CT stuff to say it's a means of social control.

gozunda wrote: »
    Not sure that it is being portrayed like that tbh.
    She relates most of this stuff herself and claims it gives her special insight etc Her mother has published a book about it, details how at eight year she was told about global warming and how some polar bears were starving then stopped eating and became clinically depressed etc etc. The line that others are 'attacking' her is the usual bs. It's been endlessly hashed over in the thread already.

Tbh the greenhouse gas emissions issue has nothing whatsoever got do with her - the endless coverage and championing is just tiresome at this stage tbh.

Anyone who depends on that kinda rubbish for information or direction *shrug*

Again, I've no background knowledge on this one Swedish child, I'm just saying that it is as fanciful as it is misleading to in any way imply that education about this crisis is making children sick. It stretches credibility, and whether it is done consciously or not, only seems to want to diminish public awareness and discussion of the greatest crisis we as a population are facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They need one of those laughing face alternatives to 'likes' for posts like this.

I was vegetarian for seven years. My mental capacity before that was the same. My mental capacity since eating meat again was the same.

You can find examples of exceptional intellects who were vegetarian, such as Einstein, Tesla and Pythagoras.

Bizarre CT stuff to say it's a means of social control.

Vegetarians are a lot more docile, despondent, physically weaker and prone to sickness.

• Advertisement

Again, I've no background knowledge on this one Swedish child, I'm just saying that it is as fanciful as it is misleading to in any way imply that education about this crisis is making children sick. It stretches credibility, and whether it is done consciously or not, only seems to want to diminish public awareness and discussion of the greatest crisis we as a population are facing.

What do you think a child thinks when they are told a whole load of codswollop about the end of the world being just around the corner?

What do you think a child thinks when they are told a whole load of codswollop about the end of the world being just around the corner?
    They probably think 'what's that got to do with Global Warming?', as I am wondering right now.

Its a crisis that is going to have major repercussions for how we live our lives, either through preventing it or enduring it. But nobody is claiming that it's The Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

They probably think 'what's that got to do with Global Warming?', as I am wondering right now.

Its a crisis that is going to have major repercussions for how we live our lives, either through preventing it or enduring it. But nobody is claiming that it's The Apocalypse.

The former is widely accepted- the latter is ...

Myles Allen is the currently a Coordinating Lead Author on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Special Report 

The tone extinction rebellion is using is apocalyptic. The end has been a decade away since the 1980s. According to Al Gore coastal cities should have been inundated with water five years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/06/human-society-under-urgent-threat-loss-earth-natural-life-un-report

Meat and dairy production uses 83% of farmland and accounts for 58% of agricultural greenhouse gas emissions but only 18% of food calories. That would make you believe we need to rethink how much meat and dairy we are consuming.

There was a guy from I think NUI on Pat Kenny this morning saying the little wildlife we have left in Ireland is deteriorating rapidly. Farming is the greatest contributor to this apparently.

Is there any way farmers could change their ways or maybe stop producing as much beef as we do, or do they hold too much sway politically in Ireland? If we continue as is this country and the world doomed.

We often hear that Irish farmers are the guardians and keepers of the land, which is the biggest lie since the foundation of the state.
    The farmers will chop down and kill anything wild that will get in its way of making a euro.

Irish wildlife and areas are almost nonexistent because of Irish agriculture. Even a right of way to access public lands is a battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

markodaly wrote: »
    We often hear that Irish farmers are the guardians and keepers of the land, which is the biggest lie since the foundation of the state. The farmers will chop down and kill anything wild that will get in its way of making a euro. Irish wildlife and areas are almost nonexistent because of Irish agriculture. Even a right of way to access public lands is a battle.

Oh look another attack of de farmers!. Lol

I can only presume you're living in a high rise flat somewhere with no access to outside if you believe 'Irish wildlife and areas are almost nonexistent(sic).

Do you think trees were 'chopped' down for the wastelands of our urban areas? Qui bono? Where are the natural areas - where are the areas teeming with wild trees, vegetation and wildlife in our every expanding cities and urban sprawl? Most people don't seem to give a dam! But hey let's make it about -'de farmers' - 'bunny killing barstewards!' that they are - in this classic piece of whataboutery....

:rolleyes:

Btw with regard to our hedges and things. I think you like what Luke Ming Flanagan has to say. & he's not even a farmer!
    Speaking in the European Parliament in Strasbourg at the Committee on Agriculture and Rural Affairs, the independent Roscommon MEP, Luke Ming Flanagan, raised the issue of Ireland’s hedgerows, which cover up to 6.4% of the land in Ireland, yet do not get factored into the percentage of tree cover in the Forestry Strategy.

In Ireland we often get hit with the figure of 11% tree cover or forest cover but our traditional hedgerows contain some of the most diverse and sustainable trees planted in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

markodaly wrote: »
    We often hear that Irish farmers are the guardians and keepers of the land, which is the biggest lie since the foundation of the state.
    The farmers will chop down and kill anything wild that will get in its way of making a euro.

Irish wildlife and areas are almost nonexistent because of Irish agriculture. Even a right of way to access public lands is a battle.

It's a fairly serious issue alright, but it's harsh to put the blame so squarely on the farmers shoulders. Would you voluntarily give up a chunk of your wage? It's human nature to seek to maximise financial return and minimise risk.

Luckily there are some government initiatives getting through that are trying to incentivise farmers to maintain High Nature Value Land and keep it in its natural state. Might be a good time to talk to your local politicians about promoting these kinds of projects.

The Irish government has declared a climate change emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It means absolutely nothing, they would never have the balls to make any changes that could help our environment because it may upset some voters

It means absolutely nothing, they would never have the balls to make any changes that could help our environment because it may upset some voters
    Good for the environment is good for the economy.

They're pissing off some voters with a multi billion euro broadband plan while ignoring the issues with our healthcare system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Unfortunately you're right. Fianna gael would be slightly more likely to implement changes than fianna fail but both parties attempt to buy votes. Neither would do something that would give votes to the other. And unfortunately it seems to work. Fianna fail bought the vote for years and it worked.

(And I'm only mentioning those two because either one or the other have been in power for decades)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The BBC air a scaremongering program and the Irish government knee-jerks in response.

Incredibly embarrassing, though not too surprising given past form - Gormley forcing diesel over petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Ah so everything will be grand.

Pity they didn't wait a few months though. The crusties might think it was because of them protesting instead of just being a PR move.

Ah so everything will be grand.

Pity they didn't wait a few months though. The crusties might think it was because of them protesting instead of just being a PR move.

Yeah, "grassroots" fake rent a crowd protests. People want to be taxed more so Leo can pretend Ireland is doing its bid in the global war against climate change. He will stand in the Liffy like Moses and command the weather to be grand for a five billion euros*(*May cost many times more than that)

Interesting article on the quazi-religious nature of extinction rebellion. Fanitics are even washing each other's feet. The amount of parallels between movements like extinction rebellion and religion are countless. Doomsayers preaching about impending doomsday, sacrifice, fanaticism, wealthy private jet prophets like David Attenborough and Al Gore. Children wheeled out to urge for repentance like they had some some sort of apocalyptic vision etc etc.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/transformation/extinction-rebellion-and-new-visibility-religious-protest/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Interesting article on the quazi-religious nature of extinction rebellion. Fanitics are even washing each other's feet. The amount of parallels between movements like extinction rebellion and religion are countless. Doomsayers preaching about impending doomsday, sacrifice, fanaticism, wealthy private jet prophets like David Attenborough and Al Gore. Children wheeled out to urge for repentance like they had some some sort of apocalyptic vision etc etc.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/transformation/extinction-rebellion-and-new-visibility-religious-protest/

Is it the new religion?

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is it the new religion?

Their founder likes to communicate with spirits in her teepee after getting whacked out on hallucinogenic cactus juice. That says it all to me. Most definitely it is a cult. Operates like a religion. Ticks all the boxes.

Sprayed the UK treasury with red dye using a fire engine today, the police came along eventually. Shows how backed by the establishment this "grassroots" movement actually is. If it genuinely was a grassroots protest about any other subject and such a stunt was pulled the riot squad would have come down on it like a ton of bricks. Contrived propaganda campaign in cahoots with tax hungry govenments in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

Disgraceful stuff. And if they even attempt to carry through their threats of drone usage near airports, I want them listed as a terrorist organisation and have the police come full force down on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is it the new religion?

It seems so. The west has all but chucked out its old christian one.

Such is the human condition though that there will always be a call for some kind of 'religion' or at least religion-like movement.

People want hope for the future, they want a way of assuaging fear, they want a sense of belonging, they want a cause to crusade for, they want principles to beat others around the head with and get sanctimonious about. They want a feeling of power over things that they may be ostensibly powerless over.

It is a weak point in our game sadly as a species.

Sprayed the UK treasury with red dye using a fire engine today, the police came along eventually. Shows how backed by the establishment this "grassroots" movement actually is. If it genuinely was a grassroots protest about any other subject and such a stunt was pulled the riot squad would have come down on it like a ton of bricks. Contrived propaganda campaign in cahoots with tax hungry govenments in a nutshell.
    Yeah stupid act. Wonder what the VOC content of the fake blood was.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Grayson wrote: »

Unfortunately you're right. Fianna gael would be slightly more likely to implement changes than fianna fail but both parties attempt to buy votes. Neither would do something that would give votes to the other. And unfortunately it seems to work. Fianna fail bought the vote for years and it worked.

(And I'm only mentioning those two because either one or the other have been in power for decades)

All political parties attempt to buy votes.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Just curious but are all these people protesting next week off work on holidays ? Tomorrow it’s starts... I’d love to protests but I’ve to go to work !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope they clean up after the protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

What are we to expect of this.. 1916 mark 2 or Storm Lorenzo?

Advertisement