Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

xckjoo wrote: »
    Sure isn't it great to feel superior to children.

and to science and rational thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plenty of adults who believe that the sky is falling in too.

True.

"Thems childers - you just being nasty" whaaaa
    :pac:

Lol - Highlighting a funny placard is now being 'superior' to children?

But yeah I do feel sorry for the kids - They are being fed so much ****e - they don't seem to know what they are supposed to be saying or eating their vegetables ... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Plenty of adults who believe that the sky is falling in too.
    And the way to express a disagreement on something is to mock children from behind a compute screen? Very mature and brave.

gozunda wrote: »
    True.

"Thems childers - you just being nasty" whaaaa
    :pac:

Lol - Highlighting a funny placard is now being 'superior' to children?

But yeah I do feel sorry for the kids - They are being fed so much ****e - they don't seem to know what they are supposed to be saying ...

"Hey look what this stupid kid wrote! HAHAHAHA. I'm so much smarted than a child. I'll prove it by mocking what they wrote on a sign without any actual constructive point"

"Hey look what this stupid kid wrote! HAHAHAHA. I'm so much smarted than a child. I'll prove it by mocking what they wrote on a sign without any actual constructive point"

Hey if isn't my friend who was so emotive in his comments about not engaging with me. And yet the same apparently turned up on the thread to engage with my comments. I dont mind really :D

But you couldn't make it up :pac:

If you can't work out what's funny about that sign - then that's truely unfortunate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

It is ok to frighten the living crap out of them with hysterical doomsday prophesy and then in turn use them as propaganda tools, is it?

It is ok to frighten the living crap out of them with hysterical doomsday prophesy and then in turn use them as propaganda tools, is it?

Your opinion on what a child believes shouldn't sway whether you decide to mock them or not. They're young enough to still believe in Santa FFS. Any adult with a non-dysfunctional psyche should know that

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I love the sign the kid with the microphone is holding to highlight the climate change petition

2019-03-01_13.09.38-3.jpg?1556570784

ROFL .... :D

Why aren't these children in school?

If they want to protest they should do it on their own time.

Your opinion on what a child believes shouldn't sway whether you decide to mock them or not. They're young enough to still believe in Santa FFS. Any adult with a non-dysfunctional psyche should know that

Santa, the tooth fairy and now doomsday - the end of the world. The former won't do them any harm, the same can't be said for the latter. Scaring children with hysterical doomsday brainwashing to the point where some of them get clinically depressed then using them to propagandise is pretty fu(king sick by any standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Santa, the tooth fairy and now doomsday - the end of the world. The former won't do them any harm, the same can't be said for the latter. Scaring children with hysterical doomsday brainwashing to the point where some of them get clinically depressed then using them to propagandise is pretty fu(king sick by any standard.

It's evil.

• Advertisement

I actually agree that they shouldn't be getting that kind of exposure to the issue. They're children who should be exposed to something so serious, even if it's them that will suffer the most. Teach them the basics of recycling, not littering, reducing waste, etc. We wouldn't have them out protesting other serious issues like human trafficking, wars, etc. so I don't know why the parents feel like this is an appropriate issue to push on them.

But the topic of their beliefs is irrelevant. How does mocking children from behind a computer screen help anybody other than giving the mocker an ego boost by making themselves feel superior?

I wouldn't bother tbh - its just looking for a rise tbh. No ones' 'mocking' anyone tbh. The sign is funny - end of story and your points above are very relevant tbh. In a previous post I had detailed about one of the IPCC climate scientists and others had written about how this whole movement scaremongering thing was scaring children out of their wits. And yet everyone else are the bad ones when anything is highlighted.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If climate change is a lie why aren't you telling Governments and the BBC etc? Surely they'd be interested to hear this.

The Greens have done quite well in England. Maybe the protests are working after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I actually agree that they shouldn't be getting that kind of exposure to the issue. They're children who should be exposed to something so serious, even if it's them that will suffer the most. Teach them the basics of recycling, not littering, reducing waste, etc. We wouldn't have them out protesting other serious issues like human trafficking, wars, etc. so I don't know why the parents feel like this is an appropriate issue to push on them.

But the topic of their beliefs is irrelevant. How does mocking children from behind a computer screen help anybody other than giving the mocker an ego boost by making themselves feel superior?

This is the second time a child has been has mocked on this thread.

Serious amount of insecurity around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭SeanW

The Greens have done quite well in England. Maybe the protests are working after all.
    "Working"? Remember, Greens want to close nuclear plants.
    https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=GB

Ireland right now - emitting 520g/kwh for electricity.
    France right now - emitting 50g/kwh for electricity.

That's an more than an order of magnitude better.

Britain is right in the middle at 283g/kwh. In all cases, lower figures are due to the use of nuclear electricity.

The record is clear - electing Greens to stop climate change is like electing Nazis to build synagogues.
    This is the second time a child pawn being used for propaganda has been has mocked on this thread.

Serious amount of insecurity questions being asked around here.
    FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭Harika

SeanW wrote: »
    https://www.electricitymap.org/?page=country&solar=false&remote=true&wind=false&countryCode=GB

Britain is right in the middle at 283g/kwh. In all cases, lower figures are due to the use of nuclear electricity.

The record is clear - electing Greens to stop climate change is like electing Nazis to build synagogues.

Where are the British storing their nuclear waste?
    Still giggling that the Germans are still temporary storing their nuclear waste until they find a place. Back from the 60s!
    France sends them their stuff until they figure out a way how to move it from this temporary resting place to their final one.
    Like the UK border solution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The Greens have done well just like the Lib Dems because the British public want to give the Tories and Labour a kicking because of the hames they have made of Brexit.

Scaring children with hysterical doomsday brainwashing to the point where some of them get clinically depressed
    that's one heck of a desparate attempt to turn the tables.

Climate change and other environmental tragedies have a real and meaningful danger for human welfare and public health, but you're trying to tell us that educating children about the dangers of harming the planet is what's really bad for their health.

You see how obviously crazy that narrative is, right? Educating children isn't going to make them sick, and there is, naturally, zero evidence for that. The danger to public health stems largely from human ignorance.

Harika wrote: »
    Where are the British storing their nuclear waste?
    Still giggling that the Germans are still temporary storing their nuclear waste until they find a place. Back from the 60s!
    France sends them their stuff until they figure out a way how to move it from this temporary resting place to their final one.
    Like the UK border solution...

New generation molten salt reactors don't have the the same waste issues, they are a lot safer in operation too. Of course such a thing would be blockaded by so called environmentalists in this country who would tantrum and throw all their toys out of their pram as soon as they hear the word nuclear.

• Advertisement

that's one heck of a desparate attempt to turn the tables.

Climate change and other environmental tragedies have a real and meaningful danger for human welfare and public health, but you're trying to tell us that educating children about the dangers of harming the planet is what's really bad for their health.

You see how obviously crazy that narrative is, right? Educating children isn't going to make them sick, and there is, naturally, zero evidence for that. The danger to public health stems largely from human ignorance.

Extinction Rebellions poster child stopped eating, stopped going to school and became clinically depressed. Doomsday dogma is not education.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/06/human-society-under-urgent-threat-loss-earth-natural-life-un-report

Meat and dairy production uses 83% of farmland and accounts for 58% of agricultural greenhouse gas emissions but only 18% of food calories. That would make you believe we need to rethink how much meat and dairy we are consuming.

There was a guy from I think NUI on Pat Kenny this morning saying the little wildlife we have left in Ireland is deteriorating rapidly. Farming is the greatest contributor to this apparently.

Is there any way farmers could change their ways or maybe stop producing as much beef as we do, or do they hold too much sway politically in Ireland? If we continue as is this country and the world doomed.

SeanW wrote: »

FYP.

^^^ This. The greens are little better than windbags

It remains that transport and fossil are the two sectors which are the largest emitters of greenhouse gases globally

I dont see the usual advocates here suggesting turning off their lights or giving up their cars. All they seem to do is blame everyone else as being the cause of everything

^^^ This. The greens are little better than windbags

It remains that transport and fossil are the two sectors which are the largest emitters of greenhouse gases globally

I dont see the usual advocates here suggesting turning off their lights or giving up their cars. All they seem to do is blame everyone else as being the cause of everything

I don't own a car and my elec bill is always tiny because I don't leave things running for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

People attacking an autistic child. Stay classy boards.ie

Well maybe Greta is doing something right. The wiping out of our ecosystems was first on the news on BBC last night, they were talking about it on Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny this morning, it's all over newspapers and websites. Good on her.

Extinction Rebellions poster child stopped eating, stopped going to school and became clinically depressed. Doomsday dogma is not education.
    I have no idea of the mental health history of one child in Sweden, but to say that the facts behind climate change have made her ill is akin to claiming that telling someone about cigarettes can give them cancer.

I don't know if her mental health problems, if she has any, are related to climate change and the burden we are imposing on her generation. But ignorance isn't bliss, we all need to acknowledge that our actions are leading to immensely harmful consequences for the next generations.

I have no idea of the mental health history of one child in Sweden, but to say that the facts behind climate change have made her ill is akin to claiming that telling someone about cigarettes can give them cancer.

I don't know if her mental health problems, if she has any, are related to climate change and the burden we are imposing on her generation. But ignorance isn't bliss, we all need to acknowledge that our actions are leading to immensely harmful consequences for the next generations.

Not sure that it is being portrayed like that tbh.
    She relates most of this stuff herself and claims it gives her special insight etc Her mother has published a book about it, details how at eight year she was told about global warming and how some polar bears were starving then stopped eating and became clinically depressed etc etc. The line that others are 'attacking' her is the usual bs. It's been endlessly hashed over in the thread already.

Tbh the greenhouse gas emissions issue has nothing whatsoever got do with her - the endless coverage and championing is just tiresome at this stage tbh.

Anyone who depends on that kinda rubbish for information or direction *shrug*

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/06/human-society-under-urgent-threat-loss-earth-natural-life-un-report

Meat and dairy production uses 83% of farmland and accounts for 58% of agricultural greenhouse gas emissions but only 18% of food calories. That would make you believe we need to rethink how much meat and dairy we are consuming.

There was a guy from I think NUI on Pat Kenny this morning saying the little wildlife we have left in Ireland is deteriorating rapidly. Farming is the greatest contributor to this apparently.

Is there any way farmers could change their ways or maybe stop producing as much beef as we do, or do they hold too much sway politically in Ireland? If we continue as is this country and the world doomed.

A low protein and animal fat diet would suit governments and associated bureaucracy down to the ground. People would have just enough energy and mental capacity to work but not enough to cause them any trouble. India is a prime example of that, a society where most are vegetarian, it has one of the most disgusting tiered social structures on planet earth.

• Advertisement

A low protein and animal fat diet would suit governments and associated bureaucracy down to the ground. People would have just enough energy and mental capacity to work but not enough to cause them any trouble. India is a prime example of that, a society where most are vegetarian, it has one of the most disgusting tiered social structures on planet earth.

Jesus. How do you get through the day with this level of paranoia? Vegetarianism causes social inequality now.

Advertisement