Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x14 'Such Sweet Sorrow Part 2' [Spoilers Within]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

no 1 was awful

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So is the Georgiou spin-off going to be set in the 33rd century? Or are they going to chuck her back in time? I mean I'm guessing the Time Bureau could still be around at that point anyway to fling her back to any suitable setting.

I like the clean slate they've taken here. I enjoyed the episode and most of the season but what I really want is more stand-alone episodes. I though that's what we were going to get earlier on in the season but it didn't happen.

Hell no to episodic story telling. All they need to do is remove the focus on Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

From reading interview online, it looks like Section 31 series will be set in the 23rd century and will focus on Giorgiou taking the organization underground in order to link up with DS9 canon. Not sure how they plan to get her back to the correct time and if the rest of the Discovery crew will be in tow or not.

I enjoyed the episode for the most part even if the space battle did end up playing out like a Snyder movie.

The Spock/Michael resolution was as satisfying as it could be under the circumstances. Did a reasonably decent of job of explaining why he never mentions here in subsequent series ** Also they did a good job of bringing the character to the point where he's the mature rounded Spock we see on TOS imo. A miss was not taking advantage of the on-screen time with Sarek to elaborate on Spock's daddy issues. I don't count that awful Amanda exposition scene.

"Control" meh. My hunch that it the Borg stuff would fizzle out looked to be correct. Its neutralization was somewhat anti-climatic I thought Giorgiou was going to do something cool like use the magic mushroom drive to send it to some random part of the galaxy/trap it in the mycelial network.

Tilly was good in this episode imo.

Seeing Discovery make its way to the wormhole reminded me of "Yesterday's Enterprise". It did seem very silly that they went through with the plan after Control was neutralised though. Not to mention that Control was along for the ride so if they failed to neutralise it/it reawakened after they turned off the magnet in the magic mushroom drive cage then they were all royally ****ed.

Disappointed they didn't use the opportunity to elaborate on Talos IV and General Order 7. Maybe one for the Pike/Enterprise series if they do go ahead with that?

Hadn't really noticed the lens flares up to now but they were seriously distracting in this episode.

** Edit: now that I think about it, it makes no fecking sense. "No-one in the Federation will ever mention my adopted sister who was Starfleet's first mutineer who started the Klingon war again because I said so!"

Leyland was neutralised but control was able to reconstitute itself previously, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

A very bumpy end, for a very bumpy season.
    Highs and lows all over the place.
    Would be a suitable place to end it, but that's not to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Sparko

So then no-one ever bothers with the spore network again because everyone agreed never to mention it? Surely a massive tactical advantage like that would be irresistible.

I assumed they'd come up with some reason why the spore network was closed off from normal space of something, but I guess it's still something that Discovery will be using in the future.

I think the main blocker with the spore drive was the dependency on human genetic manipulation which was strictly forbidden since the eugenics wars. Stamets got away with it as they were on the losing end of the Klingon war and desperate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Kurtzman with some stuff on the end of S2/future of S3...

Sounds more like they're conceding defeat to the notion that Discovery was EVER going to fit in with Canon, so they're just going to bypass it entirely and go so far into the future it'll bypass everything that's aired before (or due to air with Picard, Section 31 etc)

Smart move. Something they should have done really from the start, but we'll see if it pays off. The issue of the deeply unlikable and now Godlike Burnham still has to be dealt with

Yes, it’s a pity that the Keepers of the Canon tend to over analyse everything. That’s part of the reason Voyager had to go to the delta quadrant, and now discovery to the far future.

Star Trek has never had good battles - it’s always static ships firing at static ships. Here there were more ships but fairly static.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Evade

Star Trek has never had good battles - it’s always static ships firing at static ships. Here there were more ships but fairly static.
    Deep Space Nine begs to differ.

The blast door is the dumbest thing STD has had so far, the torpedo shook Discovery and Pike just stands there looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,269 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Evade wrote: »
    Deep Space Nine begs to differ.

The blast door is the dumbest thing STD has had so far, the torpedo shook Discovery and Pike just stands there looking at it.

Wrong ship

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

AMKC wrote: »
    What was the ramming ship? What ep was it in before?

Was there not one in The Battle of The Binery Stars? In Season 1 the second episode remember when some Klingon ship declocks half inside a Federation ship. That's the only place I can think it might have been. I do know that Eaglemoss have a model of it do and that's the first time I say it and thought it looked nothing like a Klingon ship.

I do agree the D7's are awesome looking.

My memory of that ship is that is was just a huge battle cruiser with the usual kikingon shape. This thing looked like an elongated kazon shop.

Will watch bobs ep again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

fritzelly wrote: »
    Wrong ship

No it blew in Enterprise but you can see the shockwave shake Discovery.

Yeah the photon torpedo thing was a bit naff. It's an antimatter warhead. Once it got within the ship's shields it would have been the equivalent of a warp core breach, the ship wouldn't have stood a chance. In fact Voyager managed to destroy a Borg ship in one episode by beaming a photon torpedo on board.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Wrong ship
    It blew up in the Enterprise but the shock wave shook Discovery which was kilometers away making the blast door all the more ridiculous.

That whole battle scene was bad. Enterprise and Discovery got hit by hundreds of phasers and torpedoes and were still standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Blast door thing was awful. Just felt bad for the admiral, going out in such a terrible plot device.

And why did Burnham need to fly through the battlefield in her wingsuit? Couldn't she and Spock have just shared a shuttle? Or why was Spock there at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

That suit was amazing. Not only can it cut through time like a hot knife through butter, but it can take you anywhere in the galaxy (and possibly universe) instantaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

As per usual I watched this episode on a Friday night with a drink in my hand and for the most part loved it. The only bits I rolled my eyes at while watching it were.... the blast doors, the goodbye chats during battles, lets never speak of this again bit, and the signal jumps.
    The bits I loved were all Pike and Enterprise related. Why can’t we have that show?

I know a 3rd season of Discovery is green lit but I wonder is there any way we can just leave it be and take on the Enterprise Pike years instead. It was a great ending for Discovery if it wasn’t returning. We don’t need to see what happens them in the future, we assume they all live happy ever after.

Imagine how cool a Pike show would be with him carrying the knowledge of his faith into every decision he makes. Imagine how good it’d be to see Spock develop without Burnham there. Imagine just getting to see that new Enterprise set in action.

I imagine that we'll get both.

• Advertisement

I can tell you something, no matter what you think about the show; THIS is how you modernise the Enterprise bridge

478211.jpg

P.S.
    I also cannot believe that they went to the hassle of building an entire set, without a plan to use it. Mount has the potential to be the best, since Stewart

The Enterprise bridge really does show that you can update the look of TOS but keep it in line with the original. This is pretty much how I wanted a prequel to look. It wasn't cardboard sets that looked exactly like it did in TOS but something that was recognisable as being the same as what came before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Evade wrote: »
    The Enterprise bridge really does show that you can update the look of TOS but keep it in line with the original. This is pretty much how I wanted a prequel to look. It wasn't cardboard sets that looked exactly like it did in TOS but something that was recognisable as being the same as what came before.

Yes! And I loved that when Spock walked over to his science station, there was the old familiar... sticky-up viewer thing... he used to use in TOS, with a pointless swirly futuristic-for-the-time display beside it!

I can tell you something, no matter what you think about the show; THIS is how you modernise the Enterprise bridge

478211.jpg

P.S.
    I also cannot believe that they went to the hassle of building an entire set, without a plan to use it. Mount has the potential to be the best, since Stewart

Marvellous work indeed.

It looked like this end of season was a lead into a new Enterprise series. Discovery was shunted to the future and the camera went back to the Enterprise bridge and circled around it, lingering on the bridge crew.

But we know better.

For sh1ts and giggles, is that Sisko at it again in the background?

That was my first thought too.

Ah ha ha ha. I literally just thought that before i read this.

I imagine that we'll get both.

Can CBS afford it to have so many trek shows on the go? You’d also imagine it would have to be negotiated soon so that the actors don’t sign up to other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GSPfan wrote: »
    Can CBS afford it to have so many trek shows on the go? You’d also imagine it would have to be negotiated soon so that the actors don’t sign up to other work.
    They are feeding it to Netflix, which would surely mitigate some costs. Think they could certainly do a Pike-Trek one.

• Advertisement

Discovery is going well for them.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/22/cbs-all-access-has-record-breaking-weekend-fueled-by-star-trek-discovery-season-2-premiere/

So that’s why that’s coming back. Remember that these are quick seasons by US network standards of 22+ episodes.

CBS could run discovery, enterprise and the Picard show at different times of the year and keep their subscribers.

Advertisement