Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIMBYS bully their way over Barrow Blueway

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Mocadonna

road_high wrote: »
    Yea they always flock together to oppose everything- one of the grestest scourges in Ireland is this lot- it's virtually impossible to develop anything in this country without this mob interfering and holding things back- while people can have valid objections and concerns and there is are several mechanism to articulate those and that is right, they shouldn't over ride the greater good as is what's happening along the Barrow- they're usually the same whiners you'll find decrying the lack of rural development also.
    Very small closed minds only interested in their own agendas.
    An Taisce seem to be infiltrated with them at this stage and its time that particular quango was disbanded and replaced with common sense.

But the process for voicing objections was followed in this case and ABP agreed so what's the issue?

Did you see my suggestion for a compromise of a walking route with work done a mile or so outside towns for people with buggies etc? What's the main objection you have to this or do you feel it needs to be done for bikes? I'm really not trying to have an argument here I am genuinely interested in hearing the reasoning against this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

This is a hot topic back in my home place of North Kildare. My experience of such things leads me to be the conclusion that Waterways Ireland have no concept of sustaineable development. As an example, there was a lovely stretch of canal walk along the Grand Canal between Hazelhatch and the small Village of Ardclough. All it needed was a bit of maintainance in a few places to allow prams and standard bikes to pass easily. Instead WWI butchered all the lovely Willow,Elm,Cherry etc. Trees along the entire stretch and installed a ridicolously out of proportion tar road that would accomodate Jumbo Jets landing on it. Aside from wasting god knows how much taxpayers money, they have managed to turn what was a lovely sunny sheltered glade into a barren cold wind tunnel:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This is classic playing the man instead of the ball.

Remove the word NIMBY and what exactly is your argument?

(i) This completely unlike Waterford and Mayo - where railroads that were idle were converted. This is a trail that is already very popular.

(ii) The Barrow walkway is something that is unique in this country. Why replace it with something we have several of.

To be honest, this is the same mindset that brought out of town shopping centres to the likes of Carlow.....its progress......do you not want jobs......not if it means destroying the town. Or river.

And by the way, I'm not from Carlow, Kildare or Kilkenny. So NIMBY does apply to me. I just think its a really crap idea to pave the beautiful Barrow walkway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mocadonna wrote: »
    I was referring more to the suggestion that I have personal issues.

I never formally objected to anything in my life by the way, just happened to think the bridge in KK was out of context with a town that markets itself as Ireland's medieval capital. Maybe they should take a leaf out of Carlow's book and build a load of apartments around the castle too so you can't see it. Don't you know we have a housing crisis, sure that's only an aul wall anyway etc etc.

Carlow has a shocking record of allowing dodgy planning.

I think it's gas (not) the way they destroyed the area around the castle but want to keep the rusty, ugly tower from the sugar factory that has no architectural merit whatsoever.

And what they did to the old house in Oak Park. Nothing like bolting on a poxy modern (used to be modern) office block onto the side of it.

I'm a fan of the Visual Arts Centre, it's a great facility for the town but it shouldn't have been put where it is, in the grounds of th old college beside the cathedral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭sonic85

There's nothing wrong with the Barrow as is it doesnt need "developing". Why anyone would want to mess with something so beautiful is beyond me really and the only explanation I can come up with is that the people really pushing for this have some vested interest in it. The hack job done around the Leighlin area is a travesty really and is proof if it was really needed that areas of natural beauty should be left alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement