Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIMBYS bully their way over Barrow Blueway

Options
  • 14-04-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic boon this could have been to St. Mullins, Graig and surrounds. Such a beautiful part of the country with massive potential to draw in visitors. It could have linked in with the planned New Ross and Waterford greenways, bringing a new type of tourism to the south east.
    But alas no, a vocal group of NIMBYs who want to keep the area to themselves (ie Olivia O'Leary who lives closeby) got to bully their way and POV on top of everyone else. They'll be the very ones whinging there's nothing in rural Ireland.

https://kclr96fm.com/co-kilkenny-town-reacts-to-barrow-blueway-permission-refusal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

road_high wrote: »
    What a fantastic boon this could have been to St. Mullins, Graig and surrounds. Such a beautiful part of the country with massive potential to draw in visitors. It could have linked in with the planned New Ross and Waterford greenways, bringing a new type of tourism to the south east.
    But alas no, a vocal group of NIMBYs who want to keep the area to themselves (ie Olivia O'Leary who lives closeby) got to bully their way and POV on top of everyone else. They'll be the very ones whinging there's nothing in rural Ireland.

https://kclr96fm.com/co-kilkenny-town-reacts-to-barrow-blueway-permission-refusal

Its a hidden gem but when the people like you mentioned above seemingly don't wont there peacefull lives disturbed .

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

I don't live in the area but having seen first hand the butchery done to trees by the river paths up by the Arboretum by Waterways Ireland, I'dhave little faith in them doing something decent on this. Remember the plans called out for part of the path to be concrete. Not very enviromentally friendly and a bit of an eyesore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It would be a bit ironic if it got "marketed" as a hidden gem, took off in popularity and so got the foot fall, but not blue way... (the paths are still open, the waterway is definitely open, a bit better signage and access, and away you go...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good.

You can still walk it, so it's not like it's closed off to you.
    I don't see why every single wild area or trail has to be sanitised, plastered with concrete and tarmac to please cyclists and others (as if there arent any existing greenways and 100s if not 1000s of km of quiet roads they can use any day of the week)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Good.

I don't see why every single wild area or trail has to be sanitised, plastered with concrete and tarmac to please cyclists and others (as if there arent any existing greenways and 100s if not 1000s of km of quiet roads they can use any day of the week)

But they aren't are they? Let's not get all hysterical and exagerate like the anti-blueway mafia. Not every single wild are is getting improved access, this was a very specific project along an already existing towpath. You're essentially saying visitors should eff to other greenways and spend their money and create resultant jobs elsewhere. There's no point people whining there's no jobs or amenities in a rural area when they block all attempts to develop somehting in an area like this.

• Advertisement

But they aren't are they? Let's not get all hysterical and exagerate like the anti-blueway mafia. Not every single wild are is getting improved access, this was a very specific project along an already existing towpath. You're essentially saying visitors should eff to other greenways and spend their money and create resultant jobs elsewhere. There's no point people whining there's no jobs or amenities in a rural area when they block all attempts to develop somehting in an area like this.

They can still walk the bloody towpath, promote that instead in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

They can still walk the bloody towpath, promote that instead in its own right.

Who is 'they'?

People in wheelchairs?
    People on bikes?
    People with buggies?
    People in winter?
    Elderly people with decreased mobility?

I forgot, those people don't matter, do they? Sure let them walk the N80 if they want a stable surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Good.

This sort of insane rhetoric is what's annoying about the anti blueway brigade.

A loose unbound pathway does not equal "plastered with concrete and tarmac" Ye honestly haven't a clue and a large percentage opposed don't even use or live on or near the Barrow.

"as if there arent any existing greenways" Nimbyism at it's finest right there.

Who is 'they'?

People in wheelchairs?
    People on bikes?
    People with buggies?
    People in winter?

I forgot, those people don't matter, do they? Sure let them walk the N80 if they want a stable surface.

Should every long distance trail in the country be surfaced and lifts installed to get to the top of Carrauntwohill regardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Who is 'they'?

People in wheelchairs?
    People on bikes?
    People with buggies?
    People in winter?

I am not familiar with the full track but have to say I have walked most of it with a buggy on several occasions with no trouble.

• Advertisement

Should every long distance trail in the country be surfaced and lifts installed to get to the top of Carrauntwohill regardless?

Is that your opposition to a year round surface that suits the mobility impaired? Lifts on carrauntwohill?

Nice to know.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This sort of insane rhetoric is what's annoying about the anti blueway brigade.

A loose unbound pathway does not equal "plastered with concrete and tarmac" Ye honestly haven't a clue and a large percentage opposed don't even use or live on or near the Barrow.

"as if there arent any existing greenways" Nimbyism at it's finest right there.

The anti campaign has been ferocious in its rhetoric and vilification of anyone with a shred of support for the project. I don't live there either but can certainly see the potential benefits to an area largely bypassed by job creation. The narrative of a concrete/tarmac highway pouring over a green paradise was alllowed take over beyond all reason or logic sadly. All they were talking about here is tarring a grass pathway same you would a country lane. The wildlife don't tend to live directly in the lane funnily enough.

I thought the vilification of the Mullaichan cafe owner particularly distasteful- I don’t know him personally but I’m sure he’s just a small business owner just trying to survive and do something in a rural area- the begrudgery and knocking I saw online took my breath away and illustrated how hard it is to do anything in this country without a cabal of idiots attacking you.

Well and truly had and used by the likes of wealthy individuals like Olivia Oleary who’s sole aim is to keep out visitors and riff raff from anywhere close to their exclusive residences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HenryWoods

The Save The Barrow Track people are not all ''NIMBYS'', quite a lot of us are locals who rightfully didn't want Waterways Ireland tearing up the track to the supposed benefit of anonymous, faceless tourists.
    Their plan to lay down gravel on a earthen towpath on a flood plain was disastrous and their employees and plant hire goons destroyed the towpath anyways with their firewood gathering exercise in Leighlin. And have been rightly called out on it by Bord Pleanala.
    Don't give me that ''It'll be good for Carlow'' bollocks. Most of the fatties in the Council and Carlow Chamber have never walked the towpath.

(The Muinebheag Sentinel has a great collection of photos of the absolute hackjob done on the towpath.)

HenryWoods wrote: »
    The Save The Barrow Track people are not all ''NIMBYS'', quite a lot of us are locals who rightfully didn't want Waterways Ireland tearing up the track to the supposed benefit of anonymous, faceless tourists.
    Their plan to lay down gravel on a earthen towpath on a flood plain was disastrous and their employees and plant hire goons destroyed the towpath anyways with their firewood gathering exercise in Leighlin. And have been rightly called out on it by Bord Pleanala.
    Don't give me that ''It'll be good for Carlow'' bollocks. Most of the fatties in the Council and Carlow Chamber have never walked the towpath.

(The Muinebheag Sentinel has a great collection of photos of the absolute hackjob done on the towpath.)

Right so you're not a NIMBY but then proceed to a NIMBY rant about tarmac on an earthen pathway....a little perspective and consideration for the wider benefits isn't even on the radar- the attidude is "I'm fine with the way it is, I don't want any development that may bring jobs and tourism because that's my opinion..."
    Who cares if people in the Council never walked it, the aim was to bring in visitors that had never visited and spend money. But who needs that, you're happy to leave things as they are.

Alas ''I don't want any development that may bring jobs and tourism'' is not what I meant, I'm against it from an environmental standpoint.
    Besides, this is Carlow, the only tourists are welfare tourists and there are no jobs to be had along a dirty stretch of river.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Alas ''I don't want any development that may bring jobs and tourism'' is not what I meant, I'm against it from an environmental standpoint.
    Besides, this is Carlow, the only tourists are welfare tourists and there are no jobs to be had along a dirty stretch of river.

Disinformation calling it a dirty stretch of river. Swimming galas n recent triathlons in Graigue. What's your game?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I walked a lot of it with a buggy recently. Graiguenamanagh to Bagenalstown in stages. Some sections of it have an extremely poor and inaccessible surface.

I don’t know enough about what was proposed but the surface really could do with improving. There is actually almost nowhere to take a buggy off road in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Don't be silly lifts would be impractical... I'm sure a local plant hire firm would be only to willing to level and grade the offending mountain, as long as compensation is paid to everyone, (in kerry)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

wfdrun wrote: »
    Disinformation calling it a dirty stretch of river. Swimming galas n recent triathlons in Graigue. What's your game?

It is. Go down to Websters Lock or any other body of water in Carlow town.
    Did you know that 1 old man cleans this up without any help from anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/Cairde-an-Naduir-338831286872668/

You're all over the place with your excuses.

1. It's a fragile wildlife sanctuary that needs to be preserved
    2. It's a dirty river than nobody cleans

Pick one.

• Advertisement

You'll find it's mainly the burren that Eugene clears from and not to excuse the rubbish but it's nothing more than any large town with a river flowing through would have. He has also had several people help him clean up Hanover park and they did an excellent job. He does this off his own back and despite his lack of support it is his own choice not mandatory.

The barrow itself is far from filthy with 2 triathlons one of which is the biggest in Ireland (Athy Triathlon) taking place in it alongside several swimming events.

I think you need to check your facts to be honest and it's easy to see the bad try and get your hands dirty.

https://www.facebook.com/GoWithTheFlowRiverAdventures/videos/3109618249064109/

I read the report in the Nationalist last night, what is clear that whatever the merits or demerits of a principle of a Blueway, the proposal from Irish Water sucked from the point of view that they had not done a proper Environmental Impact study and that some of the "path" they were proposing would be washed away in a flood.

Wow have you ever been down there? This is one of the best vistas in the whole country. As another poster rightly pointed out you allegedly want to “protest the environment“ but then according to you it’s already a lost cause alongside a dirty river. The arguments against it become even more spurious as we delve deeper

I read the report in the Nationalist last night, what is clear that whatever the merits or demerits of a principle of a Blueway, the proposal from Irish Water sucked from the point of view that they had not done a proper Environmental Impact study and that some of the "path" they were proposing would be washed away in a flood.

Both things which could be addressed and the project allowed proceed with the very minimum of impacts.
    Rivers flood onto some public roads with regularity allover the country, doesn’t mean we close them off indefinitely. Ultimately there’s a very vocal bunch of NIMBYs led by the very articulate and well connected Olivia O’Leary who are horrified by the prospect of the general public passing close to their secluded mansions. That’s pretty much all this is about

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I’m not sure I’m elderly , but I do have restricted mobility and manage ok on it as it is . The plan as I read it would allow people to speed along on bikes on what is quite a narrow path - not good for those of us unable to jump out of the way fast enough.
    The Barrow, like Carlow is badly promoted . It doesn’t need a tarmac / hard surface to succeed , it needs proper pr .
    I was in Clonegal earlier this week and can’t understand why the place isn’t alive with tourists . It could be an Adare, which markets itself on a Manor most can’t afford and a few English style thatched cottages . Marketing is the difference .

The plan as I read it would allow people to speed along on bikes on what is quite a narrow path - not good for those of us unable to jump out of the way fast enough.

Why for the love of jaysus is this arguement always brought up. Oh no the dreaded cyclist is going to mow down all the children. I cycle along the Barrow track quite regularly and I can assure you it's extremely far from busy and thronged with would be targets for the menace that is the cyclist.

Most folk that are opposed to it do so simply because they don't want change and they have some image of how the beautiful Barrow track will be destroyed. In reality they probably wouldn't have set foot on it for a long time and have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future. Nit to mention those that don't even live on or near the barrow.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why for the love of jaysus is this arguement always brought up. Oh no the dreaded cyclist is going to mow down all the children. I cycle along the Barrow track quite regularly and I can assure you it's extremely far from busy and thronged with would be targets for the menace that is the cyclist.

Most folk that are opposed to it do so simply because they don't want change and they have some image of how the beautiful Barrow track will be destroyed. In reality they probably wouldn't have set foot on it for a long time and have no intention of doing so in the foreseeable future. Nit to mention those that don't even live on or near the barrow.

The type of cyclists who clock up serious km's and speed on their racers wouldn't go anywhere near a greenway or blueway. They stick to the national and regional roads where nobody will slow them down and they can race against the clock. I heard Olivia O'Liary on the radio using the speeding cyclist excuse. It just shows how disingenuous these people are, to come up with fictional scenarios where people are jumping into rivers to avoid cyclists.

wtf are these people on?

Someone should also remind them that the towpaths are man-made, and not a natural feature of the landscape :rolleyes:

Both things which could be addressed and the project allowed proceed with the very minimum of impacts.
    Rivers flood onto some public roads with regularity allover the country, doesn’t mean we close them off indefinitely. Ultimately there’s a very vocal bunch of NIMBYs led by the very articulate and well connected Olivia O’Leary who are horrified by the prospect of the general public passing close to their secluded mansions. That’s pretty much all this is about

Agreed it could have been adddressed but the fact is, it wasn't addressed

Agreed it could have been adddressed but the fact is, it wasn't addressed

Well seen as it didn’t get beyond the initial planning stage it would have been difficult to address- the NIMBYs aren’t interested in alterations in any case, just blocking

• Advertisement

The type of cyclists who clock up serious km's and speed on their racers wouldn't go anywhere near a greenway or blueway. They stick to the national and regional roads where nobody will slow them down and they can race against the clock. I heard Olivia O'Liary on the radio using the speeding cyclist excuse. It just shows how disingenuous these people are, to come up with fictional scenarios where people are jumping into rivers to avoid cyclists.

wtf are these people on?

Someone should also remind them that the towpaths are man-made, and not a natural feature of the landscape :rolleyes:

The Waterford greenway attracts both cyclists and walkers- I don’t recall any major issues so far. As evidenced any excuse is worthy to block from their POV

Advertisement