Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

is_that_so wrote: »
    What do travellers have to do with the EU Parliament? ........... As I've said before this looks more like a Ganley situation where he may get a reasonable FP but fall short on that and on transfers.

The Travelling Community is a very emotive subject in Ireland and a discussion around it will attract an awful lot of airtime and attention. It'll come up in every single interview he attends and the majority of people in the country agree with his views on the matter. His presidential vote went from 1% - 20%, i.i.r.c. on presenting his views on the matter. Every election in Ireland is a popularity contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Berserker wrote: »
    The Travelling Community is a very emotive subject in Ireland and a discussion around it will attract an awful lot of airtime and attention. It'll come up in every single interview he attends and the majority of people in the country agree with his views on the matter. His presidential vote went from 1% - 20%, i.i.r.c. on presenting his views on the matter. Every election in Ireland is a popularity contest. What EU issue come into play for a European election?

Yeah but it really didn't matter what he got, he was never going to win and there was no serious competition to the incumbent. You seem to be assuming that his views will be an element and that he can get away with his made-up policies in this and that people will actually vote for him in this one. You can't extrapolate results in one and assume they would apply to any of the others. MDH was the only one who could take part in any type of election and would have been at the very least competitive.

Elections here range from locals, commonly protest or votes for backscratchers, the Euros - popularity and people who won't embarrass us, the presidential - an out and out popularity contest to the GE, which we do take seriously and is more driven by promises and policies than individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Casey's ambition was to join FF. :D

What a fabulous con he is running really.

He changes with the wind politically. He supported Irexit previously now he doesnt but the Irexit party are backing him.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The Travelling Community is a very emotive subject in Ireland and a discussion around it will attract an awful lot of airtime and attention. It'll come up in every single interview he attends and the majority of people in the country agree with his views on the matter. His presidential vote went from 1% - 20%, i.i.r.c. on presenting his views on the matter. Every election in Ireland is a popularity contest.

Eh?

His 23% showing actually shows that the majority view is a bit more nuanced than 'dey all camp on other people's land'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My parents are going to give Maria Walsh their first preference. And my folks are pretty conservative. But they like her.

Do they think she's a lovely girl?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

He changes with the wind politically. He supported Irexit previously now he doesnt but the Irexit party are backing him.
    The anti Caseys are beginning to sound desperate all ready. Afraid that he might upset their cosy little lefty consensus with some home truths

Yeah but it really didn't matter what he got, he was never going to win and there was no serious competition to the incumbent. You seem to be assuming that his views will be an element and that he can get away with his made-up policies in this and that people will actually vote for him in this one. You can't extrapolate results in one and assume they would apply to any of the others. MDH was the only one who could take part in any type of election and would have been at the very least competitive.

Unlike the Independents, AAA/PBP and the SF candidates with their rock solid policies?
    Eh?

His 23% showing actually shows that the majority view is a bit more nuanced than 'dey all camp on other people's land'

23% due to a dash at the final hurdle. He'll have time to prepare for this campaign.

Unlike the Independents, AAA/PBP and the SF candidates with their rock solid policies?

He'll be up against two of them here, both incumbents. They've got some policies that they stick to, no matter how stupid they may seem to you or others. He's got none that last more than a day or two.
    23% due to a dash at the final hurdle. He'll have time to prepare for this campaign.
    An uncontested election, save Mary Lou's desperate attempt to boost the poor candidate vote. It tells us very little beyond that. Everyone else kept their money for these two elections. He'll just be one poster amongst hundreds.

He'll be up against two of them here, both incumbents. They've got some policies that they stick to, no matter how stupid they may seem to you or others. He's got none that last more than a day or two.

And he'll have his policies, no matter how stupid they seem to you or others. The SF/AAA/Independent candidate policies fall apart pretty quickly under scrutiny, so that's not an issue. He'll probably play the "not going to take a salary" card also, which trumps the AIW card that the left plays.
    An uncontested election, save Mary Lou's desperate attempt to boost the poor candidate vote. It tells us very little beyond that. Everyone else kept their money for these two elections. He'll just be one poster amongst hundreds.

The same poor candidate that SF ran with and won with in Europe? If that's the calibre of candidate he's running against, he'll be in with a very good shout of winning.

And he'll have his policies, no matter how stupid they seem to you or others. He'll probably play the "not going to take a salary" card also, which trumps the AIW card that the left plays.

He's got some vague ones at present which will fall apart with any level of poking. Then he'll just find some new ones!
    The same poor candidate that SF ran with and won it in Europe? If that's the calibre of candidate he's running against, he'll be in with a very good shout of winning.

Not the same election. She was a really bad call for the presidential. Incumbency matters and the average level of SF support seems higher than in 2014.

As it stands McGuinness will be returned, Ming as former poll topper should be and I think the incumbency will serve Carthy. There is no evidence at present that Casey can muster 15% or higher and he will not beat a FF double team from opposite ends of the constituency if he's in a battle for the last seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Casey is a one trick pony. He is not suitable as an MEP, isn't he a Eurosceptic at any rate?

Ming stands a very good chance of re-election. It is ridiculous to suggest that he has done absolutely nothing for his constituents. We will see on when the European election results come in.

I personally think the European Parliament is a bit of a gravy train...

Ming should be first or second elected.

Euroskeptic Meps will be a very significant group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’d have thought that’d be a negative for him, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,969 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I’d have thought that’d be a negative for him, to be honest.

this is true. The more the Presidential campaign went on the more confused we got about what he stood for, as he stepped back from his comments and allowed what he unleashed do the boosting for him.

If anybody is bothered to give him debating time with other candidates, his anti-Euro (I could have sworn it was Irexit) stance will fall asunder fairly quickly.

Still betting on him coming out with some controversial remark about immigration and the great unleashed taking to the Tweet machine again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

this is true. The more the Presidential campaign went on the more confused we got about what he stood for, as he stepped back from his comments and allowed what he unleashed do the boosting for him.

If anybody is bothered to give him debating time with other candidates, his anti-Euro (I could have sworn it was Irexit) stance will fall asunder fairly quickly.

Still betting on him coming out with some controversial remark about immigration and the great unleashed taking to the Tweet machine again.

I’d certainly expect him to plump for populism again. It’s what worked for him before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yurt! wrote: »
    I watched her speak at the Irexit conference in Limerick on YouTube. In the opening two minutes she declared herself "an expert" on South Korea, then claimed that they experienced a famine in 1977. Yeah, sure thing Dolores, "expert." If concocting a non-existant famine in what was already well on it's way to being a developed country is expertise, I think the good people of Ireland South could do without your kind offer to deploy it on our behalf in Brussels.

Watched her speak there a minute ago (not sure if Limerick but...) at an Irexit meeting. She had no notes so while still a good talk she was a bit all over the shop in terms of content - seemed to wander into a line or 2 about the welfare class being materially as comfortable as the average worker (while I'd agree with that for the most part it seemed to come out of nowhere) - still she is a benefit to Irexit and can hold her own in a debate it would seem. Doesn;t focus on the stats as much as Kelly (thats his downfall - you can hear the moistening of eyes as they glaze over when he speaks) - Dolores concentrates more on the emotional argument for the most part - like the Brexiteers did.
    Senator Byrne was fairly obviously reading off a fact-sheet of stats (we got x amount from the EU. We have this many jobs because of the EU) - she was totally outgunned by Prof Cahill in that clash.

He'll get transfers from across the board given his stance on travelers and immigrants. There are plenty of voters out there who have concerns regarding the above but they've never had a political outlet to express them through. Casey gives them that.

I'll give him a vote simply as a black eye to the establishment. All things being equal I wouldn't give him the time of day - he seems barely competent and a chancer - but if a tougher line was taken with traveller integration and the negative aspects of their culture it would be a benefit to society and ultimatelty to the travellers themselves.

What were his comments on immigrants?

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't want to elect someone who wants to deliver a disaster in the form of Irexit to Ireland, no matter how articulate they are.

The articulate lunatics are the worst kind of lunatics.

I agree - though as an MEP she can't enact Irexit (AFAIK) she/they could be an agent for reform (which is needed desperately).
    But Yes, Irexit as a concept would be a disaster right now. 15 or 20 years time maybe a different story.

Diceicle wrote: »
    I'll give him a vote simply as a black eye to the establishment. All things being equal I wouldn't give him the time of day - he seems barely competent and a chancer - but if a tougher line was taken with traveller integration and the negative aspects of their culture it would be a benefit to society and ultimatelty to the travellers themselves.

What were his comments on immigrants?
    Currently that we need to talk about it and to distribute them properly/equally/fairly across the country.

I agree - though as an MEP she can't enact Irexit (AFAIK) she/they could be an agent for reform (which is needed desperately).
    But Yes, Irexit as a concept would be a disaster right now. 15 or 20 years time maybe a different story.

That's a state level decision and under 10% have any interest in it. No political entity support the idea though. As mentioned at some point on this thread it would require a referendum.

Currently that we need to talk about it and to distribute them properly/equally/fairly across the country.

Seems reasonable enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

That's a state level decision and under 10% have any interest in it. No political entity support the idea though. As mentioned at some point on this thread it would require a referendum.

Yeah the EU poll results. I accept it will take years to build support but no way are we that pro Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If anyone is either stupid enough or compromised enough to campaign for Irexit, they're too stupid or too crooked to represent Ireland in the EU.

I believe the true Irexit number of somewhere slightly north of that 10% - nowhere near enough to pass a motion mind, but if I were to be asked today 'would you like Ireland to leave the EU?' the obvious answer would be 'no' - all we have to do is continue to look smugly over at the disaster that is going on in the UK.....but, give it a couple of year (barrage of 'if's' incoming) :-
    - if the UK is in a good economic place with trade-deals etc
    - if our EU 'partners' are gunning for our corporate tax rate
    - if FG et al haven't 'made work pay' (fostering a sense of elite detachment)
    then it could become a more palatable option.
    Irexit may be unnecessary if there is something of a populist 'European spring'

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Irexit. Ya let's leave the global market that we depend on. Let's see unemployment rocket. Let's have the 1980's back. It was soooo good back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Cryptopagan

You'd need to be some sad bastard to vote for a guy who has no political experience, no discernible talents, and who has supported an idea as moronic as Irexit, just because he mouthed off about travelers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ollkiller wrote: »
    Irexit. Ya let's leave the global market that we depend on. Let's see unemployment rocket. Let's have the 1980's back. It was soooo good back then.
    We joined the EEC in 1973.

You'd need to be some sad bastard to vote for a guy who has no political experience, no discernible talents, and who has supported an idea as moronic as Irexit, just because he mouthed off about travelers.

Because all the other runners and riders are such stellar performers? Let me introduce you to Fidelma Healy Eames....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ollkiller wrote: »

We’ll party like its 1979.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I'm not sad. My parents were married when I was born. And I'm voting for Peter casey. Guy is a legend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The cheek of people voting for whoever they want, several running that also have no experience. In the same constituency is a former winner of the lovely girl contest, what experience has she got do you think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement