Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2019 - Round 3 – China

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Just as an aside, the race looks packed if you look at the main grandstand, look at the other stands/viewing areas and it tells another story!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

skipper_G wrote: »
    If Bottas wants to be treated as anything other than a number 2 he needs to start giving Mercedes some headaches and get after Hamilton

+1
    Right now he seems to be putting Hamilton under pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,386 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Bottas getting closer, hope we see something interesting

Sauber slow getting the Jack out of the way

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Bottas getting closer, hope we see something interesting

Gap back up to 3 seconds. Game over Bottas

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Disappointing race so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

2011 wrote: »
    Disappointing race so far.

Yeah, I can't see many changes in the top 6 unless something really drastic happens

Ferrari reacting with Vettel
    Does make it a more interesting race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was some double pit stop by Mercedes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Wow, pretty excellent double stack by Mercedes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Double stack pit stops? Mercedes just showing off there. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Mercedes are just so good operationally, no fuss about that. Made the decision to cover off the Ferrari, double stacked pit and job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Leclerc made a wee bit of a mistake there in his pit stop. Might have cost him a second or two.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Every time I see an onboard of the Alpha I think it's got those eye lashes you see some cars driving around with!

Gasly going for fastest lap

And he gets it

• Advertisement

That was a bit of a let down.

Positives for me were a good race from Perez, made up places and brought home some points. Great race from Albon, from the pitlane to the points. Delighted he got driver of the day, he had my vote.

Was an easy win in the end for Hamilton he did everything right.

This season isn’t shaping up too welll at all :(

I think I will give the rest of it a miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭flazio

2011 wrote: »
    This season isn’t shaping up too welll at all :(

I think I will give the rest of it a miss

I'm half with you. I'll keep an eye on Channel 4's coverage but I won't be buying any Now TV passes.

I wonder was it just the cooler temperature didn't suit Ferrari, pity Bottas couldn't get more from the race

That was a bit meh. Next up is the destruction derby in Baku, that should liven things up a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭Harika

Leclerc has been invited for a post race consolation beer by Raikkonen and Massa at Rubens Barrichello's house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I thought Kvyat's drive through was harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Harika wrote: »
    Leclerc has been invited for a post race consolation beer by Raikkonen and Massa at Rubens Barrichello's house

Eddie Irvine’s on his way also!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Gasly robbing the fastest lap at the end

weekaizer wrote: »
    Eddie Irvine’s on his way also!

Mika Salo and Norberto Fontana might join in by conference call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The double stack stop by Merc was class. They're just so far ahead on all fronts. Ferrari with another ****show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Brilliant :D

Did Gasly pip it from Vettel or not. I wasnt watching the graphic at the end but Crofty said Gasly took fastest lap from Bottas so had Bottas already beat Vettel?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Did Gasly pip it from Vettel or not. I wasnt watching the graphic at the end but Crofty said Gasly took fastest lap from Bottas so had Bottas already beat Vettel?

Crofty just mixed vettel and bottas up.

• Advertisement

Yes Gasly got it

Crofty just mixed vettel and bottas up.

I was thinking this most likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Just a quick question: who is Joe Vinassi? Crofty kept saying this through the race.

*tongue in cheek comment from me.

On a serious note, that Crofty lad needs to stop the errors and over-excitement. Quickly jumping to conclusions with no facts. And it's horrible to see Brundle bring drawn in to this style of commentating.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Imagine Ferrari tryna pull this off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Raikkonen simply too slow and lacking aggression, yet again. Should have passed Perez easily.

chicorytip wrote: »
    Raikkonen simply too slow and lacking aggression, yet again. Should have passed Perez easily.

Its actually called tyre management. Would have been stupid to shred them and have to pit.

pjohnson wrote:
    Its actually called tyre management. Would have been stupid to shred them and have to pit.

Perez had pitted earlier so had older tyres - both on mediums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Mercedes double stacked pit stop today was a brilliant move to go for the 1,2 finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

David Coulthard will not doing Baku with Channel 4 this time. It will be Eddie Jordan taking over the analyst reins with Steve Jones for that race.

• Advertisement

David Coulthard will not doing Baku with Channel 4 this time. It will be Eddie Jordan taking over the analyst reins with Steve Jones for that race.

Ted Kravitz was back doing pit lane reporting on Sky. He seems to have earned a reprieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,151 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Imagine Ferrari tryna pull this off.

I'll try fix link.

Seems it's gone now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So much for all that speed that Ferrari had in preseason.

That was a bit of a stinker, which I guess we were due after the first 2 races.

China is a power circuit. I think that's all that happened today; Merc have a better engine.

I think the Ferrari chassis and aero is better, and that all other tracks they'll dominate. Bring on the next race in Baku where engine power on the straight and a decent chassis on the tight track are mixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

astrofluff wrote: »
    China is a power circuit. I think that's all that happened today; Merc have a better engine.

I think the Ferrari chassis and aero is better, and that all other tracks they'll dominate. Bring on the next race in Baku where engine power on the straight and a decent chassis on the tight track are mixed.

That's pretty much the opposite of what the experts (including Toto Wolf) are saying.

Ferrari has better straight line speed, mostly due to less drag/lower downforce but probably some advantage in engine power as well but Mercedes are much better in the high speed corners. Slow speed corners are less effected by that deficiency.

Wolf kind of confirmed it but then corrected himself on the issue of engine power, I reckon he didn't want to publicly state that they believe Ferrari have overtaken them on engine power.

Baku is a typical street circuit with mostly slower 90deg corners and also has that exceptionally long straight so should be better for Ferrari.

By the sounds of it they need to get more aero into that car to be competitive on the majority of circuits though. Hopefully they can because I don't think I can take another Merc whitewash season, especially after Ferrari threw away 2 decent chances of taking the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Inviere

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Wolf kind of confirmed it but then corrected himself on the issue of engine power, I reckon he didn't want to publicly state that they believe Ferrari have overtaken them on engine power.

It could also be a calculated/intentional power deficiency too, with an eye on reliability. It remains to be seen what the longer term reliability of the Merc & Ferrari engines are this season, but so far they're looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭micks_address

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I wish I was wrong with that prediction :pac:

It was the paint than done him :)

i wonder was it? I know painted lines in car parks can cause wheelspin.. he might have a point.. hamiltons car was up to speed before he hit the white lines..

bottas is all terminator this season but i can't see him beating hamilton over the season.. hamilton has started slow last couple of seasons but is already ahead this year.. was a boring race on the track yesterday. I think what will be interesing this year is nearly every track will have different outcomes..

Vic_08 wrote: »
    That's pretty much the opposite of what the experts (including Toto Wolf) are saying.

Yeah, I can see that now. Thanks. Was reading more into it this morning on various sites. I retract that statement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Frankly, 3 races in the season Ferrari - and its exact level of competitiveness - is still pretty much a mystery.

The one and only known thing is that they're fast on the straights, but that's not nearly enough in F1; Yet, it's not really easy to pinpoint what the issue with the cars might be.

Looking at the Shanghai week end, there are however a couple of clues - first, the SF90 seemed able to consistently deliver a pace that was good but not enough to keep touch with the Mercedes during the race and trying to push anywhere past that resulted in a car that was recalcitrating and unpredictable (e.g. Vettel going deep into multiple corners when he tried to push after being let past by Leclerc).

The second and by far more important clue is how the relative pace developed over the week end - on Friday, Ferrari were the absolute class of the field, only to be reeled in and overtaken by Mercedes as the week end went by.

If you ask me, the problem is that the team doesn't fully understand how the SF90 behaves on track and they're struggling to get the setup right; Maybe they're getting data from the simulator / models that doesn't translate on track or vice-versa. In Bahrain, they happened to go the correct direction from the get go, in Shanghai not so much.

Compounding this with the appallingly bad decision making strategy wise, this unfortunately doesn't look too good for the season.

Advertisement