Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due December 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spring2019

Hi everyone , just read through all the posts here and it’s a great resource to see I’m not alone with all of the symptoms! We found out two weeks ago that I’m pregnant from a home test and am about 7 weeks going by my lmp. We’re over the moon and looking forward to a Christmas baby all going well. Going to the GP today. This is our first baby so it’s all new to me. Do most people get early scans and are they recommended? How does it work with the hospital, do you ask your GP to refer you to a specific hospital and then you decide on the consultant yourself ?
    Thanks and apologies if they seem like stupid questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Spring2019 wrote: »
    Hi everyone , just read through all the posts here and it’s a great resource to see I’m not alone with all of the symptoms! We found out two weeks ago that I’m pregnant from a home test and am about 7 weeks going by my lmp. We’re over the moon and looking forward to a Christmas baby all going well. Going to the GP today. This is our first baby so it’s all new to me. Do most people get early scans and are they recommended? How does it work with the hospital, do you ask your GP to refer you to a specific hospital and then you decide on the consultant yourself ?
    Thanks and apologies if they seem like stupid questions!
    My understanding is that early scans generally are only for when there's an underlying risk (e.g. History of miscarriages) or where there are concerning symptoms such as bleeding or unusual pain. People don't tend to be referred for early scan in the absence of those kind of reasons, but you can book privately if it is something you wish to do in the absence of those mentioned risks /symptoms

Ps congrats and best wishes in your pregnancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

I went back to work today after being off on annual leave: the first person I bumped to said loudly, wow your glowing, something to tell us???

I’m 6+2 how will I stay quiet for 6 weeks????

How is everyone getting on? I'm nauseous and exhausted. Fed up of it by now, really. But, I took at least 4 naps over the long weekend, so that was good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mini15

So so tired, two naps today and a lot of nausea on and off but no vomiting so far thankfully, early scan tomorrow so praying that everything is ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

Feel so tired this weekend. Only 4 day week though so shouldn't complain. My nausea seems to be going but keep getting headaches but consultant said this was normal and just to stay hydrated. Really looking forward to hitting g 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleMissLogic

Lads I'm getting worried when I read all your posts about being knackered. I don't feel pregnant at all and I'm nearly 9 weeks. I'm not really showing. I'm not nauseous. I'm not tired. No headaches. No cravings. I'm not anything. I did 2 tests and the doctor did one too but I super don't feel pregnant. Anyone else?

Lads I'm getting worried when I read all your posts about being knackered. I don't feel pregnant at all and I'm nearly 9 weeks. I'm not really showing. I'm not nauseous. I'm not tired. No headaches. No cravings. I'm not anything. I did 2 tests and the doctor did one too but I super don't feel pregnant. Anyone else?

I wouldn't stress at all! Everyone is different. I went for scan at 7 weeks to reasure myself. Might be no harm doing it so you can relax?

I understand why you're worried but it sounds like you're just one of the lucky few who don't suffer much in the first trimester. No harm in calling your GP or early pregnancy unit for a bit of reassurance, though. Or getting an early scan like cnlbel suggested.

After sending that I actually felt fierce queasy at lunchtime and I am currently knackered. Maybe all is ok after all! Yay :|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

Ridiculously tired here too, it's overwhelming! Was more nauseous last week than the last couple of days but it still hits me every so often. Think I'll book an early scan for next week. Have ye told anyone the news yet or still keeping it between yourselves and your other halves??

AlwaysDoe wrote: »
    Ridiculously tired here too, it's overwhelming! Was more nauseous last week than the last couple of days but it still hits me every so often. Think I'll book an early scan for next week. Have ye told anyone the news yet or still keeping it between yourselves and your other halves??

After early scan I felt more comfortable telling people. Just family and close friends. Hard to keep the charade up with the tiredness and nausea!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mini15

Haven’t told anyone else yet, I’d rather wait til we are passed the 12 week mark, had early scan today, so delighted to see little fluttering heartbeat, if my symptoms go away for a few hours I worry that something is wrong ðŸ˜

We haven’t told anyone yet. Think my family are suspicious, especially my mum. Feels like our kids should be first to hear but I know that as soon as we tell them it’ll be public knowledge and I’m not ready for that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

We haven’t told anyone yet. Think my family are suspicious, especially my mum. Feels like our kids should be first to hear but I know that as soon as we tell them it’ll be public knowledge and I’m not ready for that yet.

My wife almost told her mother out of spite yesterday.
    They were shopping together and her mum kept going on about how she was right to only have two and sure there was no point in trying again at her age. Had her really wound up!

Mini15 wrote: »
    Haven’t told anyone else yet, I’d rather wait til we are passed the 12 week mark, had early scan today, so delighted to see little fluttering heartbeat, if my symptoms go away for a few hours I worry that something is wrong ðŸ˜

I feel like that too if my symptoms go away...I think because I had time to rest over the long weekend I was feeling a lot better but then was afraid it meant something had gone wrong. Symptoms are back with a bang today though... it's very odd to find nausea reassuring!!

Ok I do need some inspiration. I have 2 older sisters, both of whom have 3 kids each. They are almost more excited than me about this pregnancy, which is so sweet. One sister has smallies but the other has 16/13/10 and I told her that I wound find an inventive way of telling them. But I am drawing a blank. Do you guys have any cute ideas for how you told people?

9 weeks today. I've taken to carrying sleeves of crackers and jaffa cakes in my handbag to nibble on when the nausea gets bad. Can't make it through the day without a nap now either.

Got the date for my first hospital appointment and scan. This is my first time going the regular public route (previously did Domino in Holles St. and loved it). The letter said to leave 3-4 hours for the first appointment - that's mad! I really hope all the appointments won't be like that.

@LittleMissLogic I don't have any good ideas for cute ways to tell kids. I'm interested to see what you decide on though.

I guess I'm feeling fierce lucky so that I'm not getting nausea or extreme tiredness. Except for the extreme tiredness that comes from being 37 :D

I am getting savage cramps though. Anyone else?

Also - most people say when you ask them for a preference say that they don't care if it's a girl or a boy. What do you guys think? Is it bad to say I'd much prefer a girl!?

I think it's normal to have a preference but you'll be happy with the baby you get. I always thought I'd be sad if I didn't have a daughter. My first was a girl so I was delighted. Then when I was pregnant with my second I really wanted another girl. I had this idea it would be so nice for my first to have a sister close in age. I had a boy. I was delighted again. I couldn't believe I'd ever wanted anything else.

• Advertisement

How's everyone feeling? I'm 8 weeks today. I had a miscarriage scare on Friday, had a bleed with a small clot. My hospital's early pregnancy unit is a morning clinic only so I spent an awful afternoon in a and e but eventually they did an internal scan and thankfully saw a heartbeat so it looks as though all is good... normal ante natal care going forward. Feeling so thankful we didn't lose this baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

We had a few bleeds last time around, each of them is scary, Holles street were very good at reassuring us.

Only 7 weeks today, on our recount we think we might even be due jan 1st but will wait for the first scan and let them tell us.

My wife has told her parents this morning and we will tell mine after work. It was nice to have the secret to ourselves for the last 3 weeks or so, but we are getting to the point where my wife is so tired and ill during the day that she could do with a little help and sure not point making up stories for them.
    The only reason not to tell people early is in case something goes wrong, but these are the people we will need support from should something go wrong.

How's everyone feeling? I'm 8 weeks today. I had a miscarriage scare on Friday, had a bleed with a small clot. My hospital's early pregnancy unit is a morning clinic only so I spent an awful afternoon in a and e but eventually they did an internal scan and thankfully saw a heartbeat so it looks as though all is good... normal ante natal care going forward. Feeling so thankful we didn't lose this baby.

Im really glad it was "just" a scare. Can't imagine how thst felt, not least the timing forcing you towards A&E.

We've told parents and siblings so far but that's it. My wife's at 9+4 at the moment. My wife's been generally able to manage nausea well, mainly by eating little and often and Voiding spicy foods. Tiredness and fatigue being the main symptom now. Unfortunately she's in the middle of a week long night shift at the moment which adds its own problems.

That sounds awful. I'm glad it turned out alright for you.

anyone going semi private in rotunda and have had their 12 week app? Just wondering what exactly happens as they said to expect to be there for 2 hours or so.

cnlbel wrote: »
    anyone going semi private in rotunda and have had their 12 week app? Just wondering what exactly happens as they said to expect to be there for 2 hours or so.

Next week for us if that helps.

How's everyone getting on? I'm 11 weeks now and wearing my maternity jeans for the first time today. Still a lot of nausea, headaches and tiredness but really really (REALLY) hoping to feel better in the next week or so.

Found out that my SIL is expecting a baby in early December, so just 2.5 weeks before me! We'll both have a 5.5 year gap so it's a big surprise to be expecting at the same time again.

Looking forward to our first scan next week. If all goes well we'll tell the kids after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Spring2019

How's everyone getting on? I'm 11 weeks now and wearing my maternity jeans for the first time today. Still a lot of nausea, headaches and tiredness but really really (REALLY) hoping to feel better in the next week or so.

Found out that my SIL is expecting a baby in early December, so just 2.5 weeks before me! We'll both have a 5.5 year gap so it's a big surprise to be expecting at the same time again.

Looking forward to our first scan next week. If all goes well we'll tell the kids after.

Good to hear from other people at the same stage as myself. We had our first scan yesterday. It was amazing to see and hear the baby and hear that all is well from the doctor. It’s our first baby so it’s all new to us!
    Thankfully the sickness has finally stopped. I was very bad from 8-11 weeks and was prescribed Cariban which was fantastic. By 8/9 o’clock the tiredness has well and truly hit each evening- exhaustion like never before!! Thankfully the headaches haven’t been too bad. Hoping I’ll get a burst of energy in the second trimester!
    Best of luck to those of you who have your scans in the next week or two and hopefully those of you who also haven’t been feeling the best are starting to feel a little better!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

cnlbel wrote: »

You see the midwife first, fill in forms while waiting.They do bloods, urine, height, weight, BP , family history in detail -heart problems, diabetes history, history of twins,how you have been feeling what vitamins you are taking etc, all that good stuff.Usually will ask your husband to sit out that part as they do ask a question about whether you feel afraid in your home (or something to that effect).You go back out then, wait and then see the doctor who will look at your file from the midwife, maybe discuss any issues you have brought up and who will then scan the baby and womb fairly thoroughly.It is pretty long only because the midwife part is long this time, and then waiting times can take a while.

• Advertisement

10 weeks today here and haven't been quite as nauseous the last few days but still headachey and the evening tiredness is just so overwhelming!! I can just about make it to my 2.5 year old's bed time and then collapse on the couch! I'm finding any waistband that is remotely snug makes me feel v nauseous so I'm considering rooting out my maternity wear soon too.

Our scan is two weeks from Monday, really eager for that date to arrive and hopefully see that all is progressing well.

Advertisement