Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Carter makes it so easy to dislike him

https://twitter.com/WorldSnooker/status/1117890104209608705

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Tian Pengfei, Luo Honghao, Graeme Dott, Li Hang, Ali Carter, Scott Donaldson, Zhao Xintong, and Joe Perry join the other qualifiers to make the Crucible.

The Scott Donaldson/Lu Ning match went to an incredible final frame decider, after Donaldson was 7-2 and 9-4 up, over five hours for their second session, and the final frame was an epic, ending after quite a duration, after all the other matches had finished.

Pengfei, Honghao, Hang, Donaldson, and Xintong join Georgiou and Cahill, for a total of seven Crucible debutants this year, the highest number since 1999. Almost feels like the beginning of a new era. Five of the qualifiers are Chinese, plus Ding Junhui, makes six, the highest number of Chinese players ever in the last 32 of the World Championship.

Luo Honghao will be the youngest player at the Crucible this year, at 19 years old, and the lowest ranked player at #92 in the world.

Mark Davis will be the oldest player this year, at 46 years old. There will be 8 players out of the 32, playing in their 40s this year. Davis (46), Perry (44), Williams (44), Higgins (43), O'Sullivan (43), Bingham (42), Dott (41), and Hawkins turns 40 on 23rd April, the day before his first round match starts.

The random draw for which seed plays which qualifier, takes place tomorrow at 11am. A little over 58 hours until it all begins...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Inviere

zuutroy wrote: »
    Carter makes it so easy to dislike him

He's probably my most disliked player at this stage, such an "angry man" complex about him that makes it impossible to like him. No Allie, the world isn't against you, it seems it's you against the world :rolleyes:

Top half:

Mark Williams (defending champion) v Martin Gould
    David Gilbert v Joe Perry
    Barry Hawkins v Li Hang
    Kyren Wilson v Scott Donaldson
    John Higgins (last year's runner-up) v Mark Davis (oldest player at 46 years old)
    Stuart Bingham v Graeme Dott
    Shaun Murphy v Luo Honghao (youngest player at 19 years old)
    Neil Robertson v Michael Georgiou

Bottom half:

Mark Selby v Zhao Xintong
    Luca Brecel v Gary Wilson
    Jack Lisowski v Ali Carter
    Mark Allen v Zhou Yuelong
    Judd Trump v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Ding Junhui v Anthony McGill
    Stephen Maguire v Tian Pengfei
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v James Cahill (amateur)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Dont see too many of the top seeds losing, for all there'll probably be a shock somewhere. Good draws for ronnie, robbo, selby and ok for trump i think. Gilbert, Bingham, Lisowski and i fear Murphy too the most vulnerable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Tough enough draw for Mark Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What an awful/wonderful draw for James Cahill!

What an awful/wonderful draw for James Cahill!

I agree with what barry hearn said this morning, first time at crucible can be a daunting prospect but cahill can go there without any pressure or expectation. He's already got his season sorted, tour card in the bag and anything he does from here is a bonus. Wont beat ronnie but can see him bagging a few more frames than expected.

And that i imagine is the last time i'll be agreeing with anything barry hearn says before these championships are over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Top half:

Mark Williams (defending champion) v Martin Gould
    David Gilbert v Joe Perry
    Barry Hawkins v Li Hang
    Kyren Wilson v Scott Donaldson
    John Higgins (last year's runner-up) v Mark Davis (oldest player at 46 years old)
    Stuart Bingham v Graeme Dott
    Shaun Murphy v Luo Honghao (youngest player at 19 years old)

Bottom half:

Mark Selby v Zhao Xintong
    Jack Lisowski v Ali Carter
    Mark Allen v Zhou Yuelong
    Judd Trump v Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
    Ronnie O'Sullivan v James Cahill (amateur)

Bottom half of the draw is loaded. Robbo must be delighted up there in the top half

Anyone fancy guessing the QFs? My picks would be...

Mark Williams v Barry Hawkins
    Stuart Bingham v Neil Robertson
    Luca Brecel v Jack Lisowski
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Ronnie O'Sullivan

I was worried for who Williams would draw, as I hoped for him to have a decent title defence. He could have drawn worse than Gould. Hawkins always a dark horse (even with his good Crucible record), will make the QFs I feel, and possibly have a rematch with Williams from last year's semis. I wouldn't be surprised for Donaldson to beat Kyren Wilson.

Higgins/Davis/Bingham/Dott is an odd group. I'm not the biggest fan of any of the four, but out of them Bingham has the best recent form, and should make the quarters, where he should meet...

Neil Robertson, hard not to see him at least make the QFs, if not the final itself. Should easily beat Georgiou in his debut. Luo Honghao beating Shaun Murphy is something I'd love to see, which the BBC will call a shock. But it shouldn't be seen as one, as Murphy has had a terrible season.

Bottom half is much more trickier. Brecel played great in China, and I'd favour him over Selby. I could easily see Xintong defeating Selby in the first round, which would be another "shock".

Flip-up between Lisowski and Allen for the next quarter-finalist. Allen had a great first half of the season, until the end of 2018, but nothing major of note in 2019, so I went with Lisowski who just got to the China Open final...where he was smashed by Robertson.

I know everyone favours Trump, but not me. I like him, but he has got an awful first round draw with Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, who nearly beat Higgins last year in the first round, only losing 10-7. I feel the pressure this year with the great season he's had, could get to Trump, and Un-Nooh could pull off the upset. If he does, and wins his second round match, he will most likely meet...

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Has anyone else got easier possible first and second matches? First, he draws the amateur (and I really like Cahill, incredible season as an amateur, but come on, horrible luck for James), then he gets Maguire/Pengfei in the second round. He beat Maguire just last year in the opening round, and Pengfei is making his Crucible debut at 31 years old. Yes, it could get much harder for Ronnie after that, maybe Trump in quarters and Selby in the semis, but a few upsets and Ronnie could have an easier route to the final that the bottom half suggests.

Of course there's many other possibilities, Higgins could make his third final in a row, to lose to Trump in a rematch of the 2011 final, with the winner switched. However, Robertson/Ronnie is still the logical choice for the final, but the dream for me is Williams/Ronnie. The unlikely defending champion versus the greatest player and world #1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Genghis

Great post!

So I think:

Mark Williams v Kyren Wilson
    Luca Brecel v Mark Allen
    Judd Trump v Ronnie O'Sullivan

I think Kyren Wilson has had a good season, 2 ranking titles, but I feel he still has something still to achieve this year and I think he will do well and get to QF. Wouldn't call it between Williams and him, could be experience wins over if it gets tight, but I like how Wilson plays in a tight match and would be shouting him on.

Agree with you on QF2. Considered Higgins but he has been way below par and a bit unhappy in himself I feel, almost like it's a chore.

Re QF3 I won't rule out Selby making it to QF, but I equally can see him make a first round exit. Agree with you for Brecel but I think Allen will go beyond QF. I think Lisowski may have peaked, I think Allen has another SF run a la Players and Tour champs.

QF4 will be won by Ronnie, I really think he will be focussed on achieving more history and should still be fired up into the SF (I wonder about him after QF re longer matches / tournament time). Not sure on Un-Nooh. Remember very much enjoying his game earlier this year, and I think him and Ronnie would make a great match; I just think Trump will face Ronnie again from that draw (and will therein struggle to beat his demon). If Trump overcomes Ronnie I think he will be really up to be a solid contender for a vs. Robertson final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I was worried for who Williams would draw, as I hoped for him to have a decent title defence. He could have drawn worse than Gould. Hawkins always a dark horse (even with his good Crucible record), will make the QFs I feel, and possibly have a rematch with Williams from last year's semis. I wouldn't be surprised for Donaldson to beat Kyren Wilson.

Higgins/Davis/Bingham/Dott is an odd group. I'm not the biggest fan of any of the four, but out of them Bingham has the best recent form, and should make the quarters, where he should meet...

Neil Robertson, hard not to see him at least make the QFs, if not the final itself. Should easily beat Georgiou in his debut. Luo Honghao beating Shaun Murphy is something I'd love to see, which the BBC will call a shock. But it shouldn't be seen as one, as Murphy has had a terrible season.

Bottom half is much more trickier. Brecel played great in China, and I'd favour him over Selby. I could easily see Xintong defeating Selby in the first round, which would be another "shock".

Flip-up between Lisowski and Allen for the next quarter-finalist. Allen had a great first half of the season, until the end of 2018, but nothing major of note in 2019, so I went with Lisowski who just got to the China Open final...where he was smashed by Robertson.

I know everyone favours Trump, but not me. I like him, but he has got an awful first round draw with Thepchaiya Un-Nooh, who nearly beat Higgins last year in the first round, only losing 10-7. I feel the pressure this year with the great season he's had, could get to Trump, and Un-Nooh could pull off the upset. If he does, and wins his second round match, he will most likely meet...

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Has anyone else got easier possible first and second matches? First, he draws the amateur (and I really like Cahill, incredible season as an amateur, but come on, horrible luck for James), then he gets Maguire/Pengfei in the second round. He beat Maguire just last year in the opening round, and Pengfei is making his Crucible debut at 31 years old. Yes, it could get much harder for Ronnie after that, maybe Trump in quarters and Selby in the semis, but a few upsets and Ronnie could have an easier route to the final that the bottom half suggests.

Of course there's many other possibilities, Higgins could make his third final in a row, to lose to Trump in a rematch of the 2011 final, with the winner switched. However, Robertson/Ronnie is still the logical choice for the final, but the dream for me is Williams/Ronnie. The unlikely defending champion versus the greatest player and world #1.
    Good post bar the Un-Nooh shout! I doubt even his own mother is giving him much hope of getting past Trump. I enjoy watching him play as he is quick around the table but he just doesn't score heavy enough. He's prone to making silly mistakes (maybe due to his speed of play) and that just won't cut it against Judd who is enjoying one of his best seasons of his career. When was the last time Un-Nooh beta a top 16 player? I know he did well in the shootout but that's more of a novelty event really.

Can't see anything but a Judd-Ronnie quarter-final which is gonna be a stone cold classic. You can bet Judd is still hurting from losing to Ronnie in the Coral and has been really hitting the practice table hard.

My predicted last eight is:
    Joe Perry V Kyren Wilson
    Bingham V Robertson
    Selby v Allen (although I do like Frank's Brecel shout. Could well edge out Selby)
    Trump V O'Sullivan

Whoever wins between Ronnie and Judd wins it out.

Pighead wrote: »
    When was the last time Un-Nooh beta a top 16 player?
    4-3 over Ryan Day (in the Top 16 at the time), in the opening round of this year's Welsh Open. Before that, yeah, it had been a while. 5-3 over Selby at the last 32 of the 2016 World Open, I think. He reached the semis of that event. I'm probably wrong about Un-Nooh beating Trump, I just love watching him play, and to me, that match is a strong contender for the "big shock" of the opening round at the Crucible. Plus, Trump did lose in the opening round just two years ago to Rory McLeod, and that year Trump was the #2 seed!
    The "rolling prize" for a 147 stands at £5,000 as it was won at the China Open, but it could be "boosted" like last year, to try to get players to attempt a 147 at the Crucible.
    Jason Ferguson announced at the pre-WC press conference that it will be boosted to £50,000 for a maximum, plus £10,000 highest break prize, for total of £60,000 for making a 147.

Less than an hour to go, opening day's order of play:

10am
    Mark Williams v Martin Gould

2:30pm

7pm
    Mark Williams v Martin Gould (final session)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

4-3 over Ryan Day (in the Top 16 at the time), in the opening round of this year's Welsh Open. Before that, yeah, it had been a while. 5-3 over Selby at the last 32 of the 2016 World Open, I think. He reached the semis of that event. I'm probably wrong about Un-Nooh beating Trump, I just love watching him play, and to me, that match is a strong contender for the "big shock" of the opening round at the Crucible. Plus, Trump did lose in the opening round just two years ago to Rory McLeod, and that year Trump was the #2 seed!

Jason Ferguson announced at the pre-WC press conference that it will be boosted to £50,000 for a maximum, plus £10,000 highest break prize, for total of £60,000 for making a 147.

Less than an hour to go, opening day's order of play:

10am
    Mark Williams v Martin Gould

7pm
    Mark Williams v Martin Gould (final session)

The only upset I can see is Maguire losing. Outside chance of McGill beating Ding.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Hi. In case anybody is thinking about heading over, I still have the following tickets available for the quarter final stages. All are for Table 1. Feel free to send me a PM if interested. Can meet in Dublin city centre and happy to show proof of purchase.

Tuesday 30 April 2019 at 10:00 in Crucible
    1 Standard ticket at £52.80 (inc. £4.80 commission). (Euro equivalent €60)

Tuesday 30 April 2019 at 19:00 in Crucible
    1 Standard ticket at £60.50 (inc. £5.50 commission) (Euro equivalent €69)

Wednesday 01 May 2019 at 10:00 in Crucible
    1 Standard ticket at £52.80 (inc. £4.80 commission) (Euro equivalent €60)

Wednesday 01 May 2019 at 14:30 in Crucible
    1 Standard ticket at £52.80 (inc. £4.80 commission) (Euro equivalent €60)

Wednesday 01 May 2019 at 19:00 in Crucible
    1 Standard ticket at £60.50 (inc. £5.50 commission) (Euro equivalent €69)

Pighead wrote: »
    Good post bar the Un-Nooh shout! I doubt even his own mother is giving him much hope of getting past Trump. I enjoy watching him play as he is quick around the table but he just doesn't score heavy enough. He's prone to making silly mistakes (maybe due to his speed of play) and that just won't cut it against Judd who is enjoying one of his best seasons of his career. When was the last time Un-Nooh beta a top 16 player? I know he did well in the shootout but that's more of a novelty event really.

Can't see anything but a Judd-Ronnie quarter-final which is gonna be a stone cold classic. You can bet Judd is still hurting from losing to Ronnie in the Coral and has been really hitting the practice table hard.

My predicted last eight is:
    Joe Perry V Kyren Wilson
    Bingham V Robertson
    Selby v Allen (although I do like Frank's Brecel shout. Could well edge out Selby)
    Trump V O'Sullivan

Whoever wins between Ronnie and Judd wins it out.

There'll be so much hype surrounding the Ronnie/Judd qf, if or when it happens, that i'd have a fear the winner could be vulnerable in the sf afterwards, especially if they serve up a classic which everyone wants to see. Brings Selby into the reckoning for me (wouldnt rule Carter out either, he's beaten both judd and ronnie here in the past), even though his form wouldnt suggest it. But selby has bucked that trend before, so maybe could do so again. From the other half Wilson is a contender if his recent technical adjustments dont hinder him. Can see a motivated higgins coming through to take robbo out in sf. All about the oldies again this year for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Georgiou struggling. Decent player, but always seems to play badly on TV.

McGill gave me a bit of a shock with that hair, or lack of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,341 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

So they’re coming back tomorrow at 9-0 to play what’ll very likely be one frame. I know very little about tournament snooker etiquette, but would it have crossed Georgiu’s mind to concede the match there or would he prefer the extra session on the biggest stage? Would it be considered rude to Neil?

martyos121 wrote: »
    So they’re coming back tomorrow at 9-0 to play what’ll very likely be one frame. I know very little about tournament snooker etiquette, but would it have crossed Georgiu’s mind to concede the match there or would he prefer the extra session on the biggest stage? Would it be considered rude to Neil?

I'm sure it would be against his contract with world snooker and earn a fine he could do without. Conceding a frame when not needing snookers is considered bad enough, conceding a match, however far behind, would be even worse. Just an unfortunate situation for him, but he has to see it out and maybe he can win a frame or two yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I'm sure it would be against his contract with world snooker and earn a fine he could do without. Conceding a frame when not needing snookers is considered bad enough, conceding a match, however far behind, would be even worse. Just an unfortunate situation for him, but he has to see it out and maybe he can win a frame or two yet.

Outside of that, get a 147 and you win 50k.

Sure it's unlikely but its not impossible.

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote: »
    The only upset I can see is Maguire losing. Outside chance of McGill beating Ding.
    There's always a few upsets, last year six seeds lost their opening match, the year before four seeds lost 1st round, and 2016 had seven qualifiers win their opening match, one of which went all the way to the final. It would be unusual for there to be only one upset.

Tomorrow's order of play:

10am
    John Higgins v Mark Davis
    Ding Junhui 6 v 3 Anthony McGill (final session)

Shaun Murphy v Luo Honghao
    Luca Brecel 5 v 4 Gary Wilson (final session)

7pm
    Neil Robertson 9 v 0 Michael Georgiou (final session)
    Stephen Maguire 4 v 5 Tian Pengfei (final session)

otu0klu6qgt21.png

Keeping traditions going...said he'll take all next season off, if he wins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Outside of that, get a 147 and you win 50k.

Sure it's unlikely but its not impossible.

Or maybe he just thinks he can still win it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Degag wrote: »
    Or maybe he just thinks he can still win it:confused:
    😂😂 Good one.

Murphy playing really well, 3 centuries in his first 4 frames. Should be a cracker against Robertson in the next round if he keeps going at this pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

^ I was glad to hear he's been working on his cue action. I mentioned in an older thread this year that he could do with looking at it as it looked a big 'wild' to me, huge back-swing and a bit on the fast side. I just though maybe that could be a reason he misses easy balls quite often particularly when he's coasting in the middle of a break. Very noticeable the difference he has made, bridge hand much closer to the cue ball. Doesn't look like we're going to get that shocker.

Great tension in that frame of Brecel vs. Wilson. They have to come back and finish their match this evening now once a table becomes available. Both of them are a bundle of nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great tension in that frame of Brecel vs. Wilson. They have to come back and finish their match this evening now once a table becomes available. Both of them are a bundle of nerves.

Should be a good finish. Should be coming on now but not on the Red Button.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

The Beeb making a hames of things here. Surely we should be watching Wilson v Brecel at 9-8?

• Advertisement

Thank god for eurosport or we'd be truly fecked...only thing is to have to suffer phil yates but cant have everything i guess. Real nail biter this one, have to fancy Luca if it goes distance i think.

Edit: and it is going the distance for first time this year!

Advertisement