Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭blackbox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can someone tell me what this is and how to get rid , patches of it on my grass. looking at photo its hard to tell, a dark purple plant/weed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Prunella vulgaris. "Self heal" is the common name.

If you really want to get rid of it use a lawn weedkiller that won't kill the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

A neighbour has this tree/shrub in their garden. We are told it is a sapling left over from trees that were planted in the 1920s or earlier. It has very distinctive growth - the old branches are woody but the fresh growth is a plum-colour.

Anyone know what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Yes they look like saplings from a Stag’s horn sumach, Rhus typhina.

https://m.independent.ie/life/home-garden/gardens/staghorns-fiery-delight-can-set-autumn-ablaze-37562716.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭macraignil

Is it a staghorn sumac? They have very nice autumn leaf colour but they produce suckers very frequently. I'm trying to keep one as a single tree and need to pull out a few suckers from the area around where it is growing each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

100% Staghorn Sumac, have it in the garden but bit of a weed.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭randomguy

That's it - thanks a mill. The leaves are very distinctive, so large and angular for a small-ish plant. And the colour of the new growth is lovely. It is a neighbour's - I wonder if we wanted one ourselves, could we just try and transplant one of the suckers?

Yep they transplant fine just remove at least 60% of the leaf when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yeah I've two of them in mine. One keeps sending up new shoots from its roots. Got 4 new trees from it last year and probably get 5 more this year. Funny how only one of them is doing it . I do love them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

In a semi shaded part of garden next to bamboo and some Rose's. The stem appears to be very strong, almost tree like.

It’s an Elder tree. They often self seed thanks to bird droppings. Try digging all the root out and do so ASAP

Its elder but if your not sure crush the leaves and smell them - smell is best described as unpleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭flended12

Great info, I hope indent regret asking why should I dig it out asap. It is in an awkward spot next to a passage way leading into another garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,106 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just that they are fast growing and not suitable for urban gardens as they are sprawling and not particularly attractive, though they are fine in a hedgerow or a bigger wilder garden.

Looksee is correct. In a hedge row they provide flowers and berries and are lovely. If allowed to grow in your garden you will have little else as they will out perform all your ornamental plants. The roots are particularly difficult to remove and the sooner the easier.

Right plant, right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Can someone please ID these flowers for me? Not sure what they are but they've popped up on edge of our garden. They're a lovely red/burnt orange colour Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Poppies?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

100% poppies. The field variety, Papaver Rhoeas.

http://powo.science.kew.org/taxon/urn:lsid:ipni.org:names:306058-2

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Thank you! I'm a total newbie to gardening so often ask v basic questions here. That article is really helpful. Delighted to have poppies popping up here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭karlitob

Any ideas what this is? Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Bindweed.

If it is all over the place (as it is in my garden, but I have been generously leaving it so there is maximum available to spray) try and arrange as much as possible onto bare earth or hard surface then spray it - on a still day - with a systemic weedkiller like roundup. I prefer not to use weedkiller but this is one of the exceptions. If you just pull it up you will leave roots in the soil, masses of them, and it will just grow again. If you use a systemic weedkiller it will take it back right into the roots and kill them, then you can gather up the dead tops and hopefully you will have made a serious dent in the amount you have.

It takes about two weeks for it to be absorbed then do its work, so don't be disheartened if it looks fine after you have sprayed it. Just wait. Do be careful not to get the spray onto other plants, it doesn't matter about bare earth, it becomes inactive on soil and hard surfaces. However don't walk on the wet spray then walk on the lawn as you will get weedkiller footprints.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭galaxy12

Can some help name this weed or plant growing between salvias ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Yes astilbe. Lovely plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭galaxy12

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

Can anyone tell me what this is?

it has (had) taken over a corner of the garden growing in long vines and self rooting as it went

I'd say its Lonerica, common name is honeysuckle. Takes a while to establish but the flowers and scent are wonderful. You see it growing in hedgerows.

• Advertisement

Agree about honeysuckle, though vinca is a possibility too. The stems look marginally more like honeysuckle I agree but they would be very similar. Were you holding that branch up? Honeysuckle would be more inclined to grow up and arching whereas vinca would spread and root but stay closer to the ground. Vinca flowers (blue/purple) are gone at this stage but there might be the odd honeysuckle flower still there. Wild honeysuckle can be a bit reluctant to flower - I have a similar corner of tangled honeysuckle and I have not yet seen a flower on it.

Advertisement