Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this...

weed6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Looks like wavy bitter cress. Edible by all accounts, but I have never tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭twignme

New Home wrote: »

This is realy useful New Home, thank you. I finally discovered that I have an abundance of pearlwort!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 exfmt

Any ideas what this is ?

imgur.com/a/AojToVT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Ajuga of some sort!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

exfmt wrote: »
    Any ideas what this is ?

imgur.com/a/AojToVT
    Bugle or ajuga.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Anyone know what these are? I'm totally stumped!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The one on the right looks like a small walnut, the one in the middle I'm not sure - if it's a variety of (wal)nut I wouldn't know which one.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

New Home wrote: »
    The one on the right looks like a small walnut, the one in the middle I'm not sure - if it's a variety of (wal)nut I wouldn't know which one.

Looks like a walnut and would not be fully developed if you picked them now. Skin should be very oily if you stick your nail into it, and will stain.

Leaves on the walnut tree will look similar to ash

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

...but much, much larger than ash, and will have a lovely scent, quite similar to laurel.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for your help. I found both of them on the ground close to each other, I had no idea walnut could grow here!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know what this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Anyone know what this is?

Looks like Tutsan.

Aka hypericum aka St Johns Wort.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All,

This creeper is growing over from the neighbours (don't know them at all) and is a rapidly growing one. It's coming over into the walls of my shed and I have to keep pulling it back. What is the best course of action in the long term? Is this some type of ivy? Is there any sort of weed killer I could use?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_8047_zpsvngvajs7.jpg

IMG_8046_zpswk8iupif.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Virginia Creeper? Cut it back (on your side of the wall) as you see fit - easy to keep under control it cut back regularly.....assuming it is virginia creeper, that is

Virginia creeper, it'll turn a beautiful red in autumn, it's deciduous so might leave a small mess.

Personally I'd encourage it onto your side, it's beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Hi all
    I spread a lot of wildflower seed in a patch of my garden and even though there were lots of varieties listed the only thing seeming to germinate is this which I am wondering if it is just a fast growing weed??
    Thanks

It could be one of the willowherbs, though I am not certain. Willowherbs can certainly be as prolific as that. Did you notice when you sowed them if all the seeds looked the same or did they look different? Whether they are weeds or wildflowers is in the eye of the beholder, there is really no difference between the two.

If you still have the packet you could send your photo to the seed producers and see what they say, though with wild flowers its really difficult to prove anything, except you should have got some variety, and that is an astonishing number of identical plants :D

I wonder, was the packet mis-labelled...

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I threw the box away but I did think that there seemed to be a lot of the one variety of whatever is growing!
    There is a pink flower on one or two of them and after googling Willowherb they do look pretty similar and it seems like it's a pretty hard to kill weed

Willowherb is not hard to kill but it is a prolific seeder so it can be difficult to eradicate.

Remove the flower heads before they go to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭rodge123

Have a lot of this stuff in garden which is only about 3 years old, only becomes obviously visible after a week or so of growth as it seems to grow far quicker than rest of lawn.

Any idea what it is and will it continue to spread/take over?

attachment.php?attachmentid=490126&stc=1&d=1567893928

attachment.php?attachmentid=490125&stc=1&d=1567893891

It is scutch/couch grass, coarse grass with strong underground roots that put up new tufts of grass. It will spread though it does seem to make patches rather than turn the entire lawn into scutch. You have a lot there though, if it bothers you it looks like a 'start again' project.

There is no magic way to get rid of it. Spot treatment with systemic weedkiller is an option, but difficult to get all of it. Weeding it out by hand is another possibility, you have to get every bit of the long white roots.

Good article here with all the options (I do like the RHS info pages!) https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=283 )

looksee wrote: »
    Remove the flower heads before they go to seed.

One of them has begun flowering, looks like it might be Willowherb alright. I'd leave it if it was a good one for the bees but if it can spread like people said on here I suppose I should really just get rid of them and prep for next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

bungaro79 wrote: »
    One of them has begun flowering, looks like it might be Willowherb alright. I'd leave it if it was a good one for the bees but if it can spread like people said on here I suppose I should really just get rid of them and prep for next year??

It spreads like wildfire around here. Not so sure the bees are all that fond of it, either, but it does flower. Easy enough to pull it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭purplesnack

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what this? It's not in my garden but I've noticed it in the hedge on a road nearby. It has climbed an ash tree like ivy would and is dominating the hedge anywhere it's growing. It may have been there for ages but I've not noticed it until now.
    Thank you!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/48722764262/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/48722587396/in/dateposted-public/

clematis
    Which one???

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Can anyone tell me what this? It's not in my garden but I've noticed it in the hedge on a road nearby. It has climbed an ash tree like ivy would and is dominating the hedge anywhere it's growing. It may have been there for ages but I've not noticed it until now.
    Thank you!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/48722764262/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/73461151@N06/48722587396/in/dateposted-public/

It's Clematis vitalba, Old Man's Beard, yes can be as vigorous as ivy

Advertisement