Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant & Weed ID Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭macraignil

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi lads. Any idea what this is? There is loads of it around parts of my site and in a ditch recently earthed up.

Should i be worried!

Frogeye

I think it is a fairly common weed and not a big worry. Is it the plant called fat hen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Frogeye wrote: »
    Hi lads. Any idea what this is? There is loads of it around parts of my site and in a ditch recently earthed up.

Should i be worried!

Frogeye

Fat-hen. A sign of fertile soil but is an annual that spreads quickly. You'd need to hand pull or cut down before it sets seed. A general weed killer will also do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

What is this type of weed? It is rapidly taking over my lawn

https://imgur.com/a/StqobcY

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks like couch or scutch grass. It will spread in a lawn and is difficult to get rid of. You would need a glyphosate weed killer that will get to the roots - it has a very extensive root system, and if you treat the scutch you will have some lawn repair to do afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Hey all. Any idea what this is. Got it from a sell who wasn't sure what it is. I feel it had potential. Not the healthiest at the moment mind you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭TAZ32

Hey all. Any idea what this is. Got it from a sell who wasn't sure what it is. I feel it had potential. Not the healthiest at the moment mind you

Lychnis 'Vesuvius'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

TAZ32 wrote: »
    Lychnis 'Vesuvius'

Fair play to you. That's her alright

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

whats this shrub?

shrub.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭highdef

fryup wrote: »
    whats this shrub?

shrub.jpg

I think it's a rhododendron.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

looksee wrote: »
    It looks like couch or scutch grass. It will spread in a lawn and is difficult to get rid of. You would need a glyphosate weed killer that will get to the roots - it has a very extensive root system, and if you treat the scutch you will have some lawn repair to do afterwards.

Thanks for this, not what I wanted to hear though! Is this the same weed? It is popping up in places throughout my lawn too:

4bXuq2I.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Any idea what this is? The big thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Stheno wrote: »
    Any idea what this is? The big thing
    Either a Triffid or a Sunflower...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Either a Triffid or a Sunflower...

Lol I thought it was a sunflower but it had no flowery holder and plant snap said it was basil

The stem and leaves are kinda purple

And it doesn't need any support, whatever is is I've no idea how it got there

Lol I thought it was a sunflower but it had now flowery holder and plant snap said it was basil
    Well it was the leaf that said Sunflower to me.
    from http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/medicinal_plants/pages/Sunflower.html
    sunflower_leaf.jpg

Unless Triffids smell like Basil...

Close up

Close up

I can only stress I still believe it to be Sunflower because of the leaf shape.

Like these
    https://www.google.com/search?q=SUNFLOWER+LEAF&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI_8zE-drjAhWURBUIHb3WBg0Q_AUIESgB&biw=1813&bih=937&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_

First two veins emerge from the leaf petiole before the leaf proper begins.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    I can only stress I still believe it to be Sunflower because of the leaf shape.

Like these
    https://www.google.com/search?q=SUNFLOWER+LEAF&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI_8zE-drjAhWURBUIHb3WBg0Q_AUIESgB&biw=1813&bih=937&dpr=0.9#imgrc=_

First two veins emerge from the leaf petiole before the leaf proper begins.

I'm the same convinced it's sunflower

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Some help with these please guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭The Waxbill

Some help with this please guys?
    I’m saving some seeds from it at the moment and forgotten what it’s called.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no pics attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Can anyone ID this wildflower/weed?

I've had loads of them popping up in my garden, they seem to grow very quickly.
    I've ripped up most of them but left a few as they look nice enough

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭highdef

bkrangle wrote: »
    Can anyone ID this wildflower/weed?

I've had loads of them popping up in my garden, they seem to grow very quickly.
    I've ripped up most of them but left a few as they look nice enough

Thanks!

Looks like rosebay willowherb (Chamaenerion angustifolium) - I get this all the time in my gardens. Pops up constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

highdef wrote: »
    Looks like rosebay willowherb (Chamaenerion angustifolium) - I get this all the time in my gardens. Pops up constantly.

Thanks, I'd seen that one mentioned on some wildflower lists but didn't realise it was what I had as the flowers haven't opened up yet.

It seems to be good for pollinators so I might leave some where they are for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭macraignil

bkrangle wrote: »
    Thanks, I'd seen that one mentioned on some wildflower lists but didn't realise it was what I had as the flowers haven't opened up yet.

It seems to be good for pollinators so I might leave some where they are for the moment.

It does go to seed very fast. While I let some wild flowers grow away in my own garden and even spread seeds from some this willow herb is one I try to remove whenever I see it. The flowers don't last very long and are very quickly replaced by masses of fury seeds that are wind dispersed so even if you try remove it there will always be some more blow in. It also has a bad habit of growing up through other plants so even very dense healthy shrubs or flower beds can have their appearance disrupted by these weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you ever looked at one of those furry seedpods as it is opening? They are very pretty and a magnificent piece of engineering! Though granted this is not a good reason for leaving them as you will have an entire garden of willowherb in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hi my garden is full of these vines, my grass isn't in great shape and I plan to feed it. The garden is about a year old.

I've just started pulling up the vines that's when I realised how bad it is. What's the best way to get rid of them.

Cheers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

What kind of vines? Would you be able to post a picture, please? (if it's there already, apologies, I can't actually see it).

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Hi my garden is full of these vines, my grass isn't in great shape and I plan to feed it. The garden is about a year old.

I've just started pulling up the vines that's when I realised how bad it is. What's the best way to get rid of them.

Cheers

35bccgx.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's black medick.

• Advertisement

BTW, this list is both useful and interesting, imo. Published by Teagasc.

https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/crops/horticulture/vegetables/Illustrated_Guide_to_Horticultural_Weeds.pdf

Advertisement