Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

Bank of Ireland closing 103 branches, we'll find out later today which of the 17 branches in Galway will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Bank of Ireland closing 103 branches, we'll find out later today which of the 17 branches in Galway will be affected.

- Ballygar
    - Dunmore
    - Oughterard

https://www.thejournal.ie/bank-of-ireland-branch-closures-5368510-Mar2021/

Interesting. With 4 in the city and 1 in Salthill I'd have expected one of those to get the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Interesting. With 4 in the city and 1 in Salthill I'd have expected one of those to get the cut.

Doubt they would close them given the population of the City and the number of students going to the University and GMIT

AIB did that just a few posts up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Was also expecting a merge between Mainguard Street and Eyre Square branches. They're closing their Athlone IT branch.

Kind of separate, but will there be any bank left in Athenry town once Ulster Bank close on the square?

The Credit Union and An Post offer current accounts so I suppose you'll have those bricks & mortar banking options.

flazio wrote: »
    Was also expecting a merge between Mainguard Street and Eyre Square branches. They're closing their Athlone IT branch.

Kind of separate, but will there be any bank left in Athenry town once Ulster Bank close on the square?

Mainguard St is important for businesses so will remain for a while longer

Eyre sq is about prestige. They will no more leave that location than they would College Green in Dublin

Athenry still has AIB, CU, PO

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

I had to go to the post office in Salthill this morning, it's now in Centra. You have to go all the way to the back of the shop, its like a maze, through the queue for deli, around the guy drilling a hole in the floor to close off the off licence, through the queue divider things which were all over the place! Absolutely no way not to pass closely by about 20 people! Total farce!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Laviski

if the barista bus was shut this was inevitable
    probably same objectors

The difference here is they were on their own site, they've planning in to convert the building there into a cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Dunmore branch has a lodgement ATM, really handy if you're working late or if during the weekend. Dont think Iv been inside the building in a couple of years!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dunmore branch has a lodgement ATM, really handy if you're working late or if during the weekend. Dont think Iv been inside the building in a couple of years!

Likely that's why they're closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

<Please see OP, no guesses or speculations. Just places that are actually closing/opening>

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Rossie11

Likely that's why they're closing.

If they were open at times which suited people they would be used more. Opening times of 10-5 or whatever they are in likes if dunmore is pointless as majority of people from the area work in Tuam or Galway etc so are never in the area when the banks are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

See OP, no speculation please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Bremeny dog school has opened in the former City Direct Bus Depot in Rahoon.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Planning permission has been granted for the former Burger King restaurant in Eyre Square shopping centre to be converted into a retail outlet.

Roshin Limited, owners of Unit 224 in the shopping centre have been given approval for a Change of Use of the unit from restaurant to general retail.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

There's a well kitted out Bewleys coffee dock open now on the front lawn of the Galway Bay Hotel. They're open from 7:30 in the mornings - great addition since the council shut down the other options along the prom outside of Salthill Village.

https://twitter.com/GalwayBayHotel/status/1372144361052516352?s=19

• Advertisement

I give it about 6-8 weeks before the council try to shut it down.

The businesses in the village always complain

• Registered Users Posts: 45,309 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is it on Galway Bay grounds? If so, how and why will the council shut it down?

6 wrote: »
    Is it on Galway Bay grounds? If so, how and why will the council shut it down?

Well for a start, it doesn't have planning permission, a quick review of the planning portal showed that.

What businesses like this often do is they set up and then wait for complaints, then apply for retrospective permission to remain, all the while they can be making money.

I'm not saying this business is good or bad or I agree/disagree with it (that end of Salthill desperately needs something) just outlining why there will be complaints and the basis of them

• Registered Users Posts: 45,309 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Well for a start, it doesn't have planning permission, a quick review of the planning portal showed that.

What businesses like this often do is they set up and then wait for complaints, then apply for retrospective permission to remain, all the while they can be making money.

I'm not saying this business is good or bad or I agree/disagree with it (that end of Salthill desperately needs something) just outlining why there will be complaints and the basis of them

Ah fair enough. Didn't realise they didn't have planning.

The Galway Bay Hotel seem to be part of "The Village Salthill" group so will be interesting to see if they survive longer than the two coffee vans that were closed at Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,784 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Galway Bay Hotel seem to be part of "The Village Salthill" group so will be interesting to see if they survive longer than the two coffee vans that were closed at Blackrock.

They do at least pay rates. So I'd be sympathetic to their case.

They do at least pay rates. So I'd be sympathetic to their case.

Thats true, however it hasn't saved several other attempts around the city, most notably I recall something similar at the Topaz on Newcastle Rd where there was a burrito bar or something like that. It was in a shipping container I think. Fuzzy memory about it but I recall they had to remove it in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Guffy

Thats true, however it hasn't saved several other attempts around the city, most notably I recall something similar at the Topaz on Newcastle Rd where there was a burrito bar or something like that. It was in a shipping container I think. Fuzzy memory about it but I recall they had to remove it in the end

Biggest finance drain ever :D Cantina it was called. Did f all business. They were only delighted to move it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

They removed it because it didn't make any money

• Advertisement

They removed it because it didn't make any money

Really? Like I said, fuzzy memory but I could have sworn there was issues with planning, must have gotten it mixed up

Advertisement