Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Yet the clowns in council want to build another facility out in cappagh.
    If this place can't survive how is the proposed new going to......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Laviski wrote: »
    Yet the clowns in council want to build another facility out in cappagh.
    If this place can't survive how is the proposed new going to......

That's what we pay taxes for. Without taxes we'd have no parks pitches community centres etc. Just because it's not profitable doesn't mean we don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It might be wise to wait 2 months for their systems to fully cycle unless they've had their tanks going well in advance and seeded with bacteria. Fish are generally already stressed out by the travel so going into an new system still breaking-in won't help the odds of your new fishy friend making a long-term addition to your aquarium.

Will be interesting to see if their fish operation is a shambles like Petmania or be properly looked after like Petworld. The guy who was based in the Salthill Aquarium and Seahorse in Liosban are true professionals if you want the healthiest fish. Be interesting to see where Petstop fall on that spectrum, fingers crossed for them.

They have fish in all their other stores and certainly in Kildare (Naas) they've an excellent reputation and the manager there is very knowledgeable.
    They refused to sell any during the main lock down too which goes in their favour - not even a goldfish was allowed to be sold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

That's what we pay taxes for. Without taxes we'd have no parks pitches community centres etc. Just because it's not profitable doesn't mean we don't need it.

just because we pay taxes doesn't mean it should be wasted either.
    if... they do build another facility it should be on the other side of the river. perhaps even ear mark it for the new ardaun area. after all there are others that pay taxes too that would like a facility closer to them. (wouldn't be for me as live on west side of corrib, infra should be balanced for all citizens)

regardless itis just poorly mismanaged for years, new place won't be any different.
    private facility would be better for people even if it is more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,838 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm surprised to see Leisure land doing so poorly. I always assumed it was the central attraction to Salthill as a holiday resort. More so in the staycation era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭ax530

flazio wrote: »
    I'm surprised to see Leisure land doing so poorly. I always assumed it was the central attraction to Salthill as a holiday resort. More so in the staycation era.

Presume with restrictions this year they were not able to accommodate enough swimmers.
    I had thought the swim academy and school swimming lessons past few years were doing very well keeping customer s in all day.
    Wonder could sport Ireland funding ear marked for new pool in knocknacarra be transferred to keep leisure land open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I think you need to change your username. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

https://connachttribune.ie/planning-appeal-expected-against-new-lidl-supermarket/
    Planning appeal expected against new Lidl supermarket
    RGDATA, the representative group for independent and family-owned grocery outlets, is expected to appeal a planning grant for a new Lidl supermarket in Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Paco are moving into the old swamp unit in the Eyre Square shopping centre on Oct 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

LIDL announced on Facebook that they are opening their new store on Welpark on Thursday November 12th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

New spar shop on Westwood hotel site looks very close to opening. Signs and banners going up outside it when I drove past today. Any date for opening day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

New spar shop on Westwood hotel site looks very close to opening. Signs and banners going up outside it when I drove past today. Any date for opening day?

A quick google on the spar site, says its open till 10 pm tonight,
    6.30-10 weekdays.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Dunnes Knocknacarra new drapery section
    BFAOzkb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

LIDL announced on Facebook that they are opening their new store on Welpark on Thursday November 12th.
    They have an instore leaflet offering 4x 10 off 50 spend (food only) for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Does that make it three Lidl in the city?

Doughiska
    Wellpark
    Headford Road

plus attempts to get planning in Westside and Knocknacarra?

ALDI have three?
    Knocknacarra
    Westside
    Headford road - Galway Retail Park

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tolteca in Newcastle has been stripped of its signage, new Mexican called Zambrero opening there next month. Their online menu doesn't fill me with confidence, but I've never tried.

I'm very dissapointed Tolteca is gone, was my favourite burrito place in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Zambrero are a chain with few sites in Dublin but would be one of the poorer burrito joints up there. Not that tolteca are anything special either so expect it to be much of the same.

Bredabe wrote: »
    A quick google on the spar site, says its open till 10 pm tonight,
    6.30-10 weekdays.

That might be for a differnent SPAR, the one at the WestWood does not appear to be in the site yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭Bredabe

That might be for a differnent SPAR, the one at the WestWood does not appear to be in the site yet..

I was in the one at Westwood(Newcastle) yesterday, I think it's showing under its owner's name in the spar site. Caseys maybe?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Bredabe wrote: »
    I was in the one at Westwood(Newcastle) yesterday, I think it's showing under its owner's name in the spar site. Caseys maybe?

I was using the map view, not searching by name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Crowes pub is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

skinny90 wrote: »
    Crowes pub is open?

Off-licencse, home food boxes, and I think takeaway pints.

Anyone hear anything about Tribeton?
    Didnt open again after lockdown 1 and still nothing from them.
    Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Just curious
    I feel like I saw that they closed down but can't remember where or offer anything more concrete than that. I want to say they had a note in the window but might be my memory playing tricks on me. It's a pity cause the food was good.

xckjoo wrote: »
    I feel like I saw that they closed down but can't remember where or offer anything more concrete than that. I want to say they had a note in the window but might be my memory playing tricks on me. It's a pity cause the food was good.

I always thought that building would have made an amazing indoor market.

Just curious

Twitter account has been closed, same with the facebook page. Instagram still open, as is the website, but no updates since March

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep a great space for it, could even include a seating/dine in area.

In other news Ciarlantini are opening in the former Deacys fish shop, dunno if they've closed in Woodquay.

E Brun have the sign down and appears totally gone, was told it may be being acquired by the folks from Botown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Tiny Traders did a run in the downstairs last year. Seemed to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,705 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just curious

There was a planning notice up in about May to convert it to office space. I haven't checked for a decision.

Its a silly locarion for a pub, well away from other hospitality businesses, and generated a lot of late night noise for residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi Ireland is set to lodge an application for a new discount foodstore in Ballybrit at a site on Old Monivea Road.
    https://connachttribune.ie/aldi-set-to-lodge-plan-for-discount-foodstore-in-ballybrit/

Advertisement