Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It’s impossible to understand how WWE are overlooking a Mania at Wembley (or elsewhere in Europe) even a Summerslam.

It would be the biggest thing ever for WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,046 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

ShagNastii wrote: »
    It’s impossible to understand how WWE are overlooking a Mania at Wembley (or elsewhere in Europe) even a Summerslam.

Would be over to one in a shot

They had a UK ppv planned for last year with Drew vs Tyson Fury headlining it but covid messed that up.

Let's hope we see one in the near future. We have Takeover Dublin to look forward too and by god it will be some night when/if it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Would Americans be as quick going East as Europeans are going west?

Could you get away with charging American ticket prices in the UK?

What are the logistics of getting everything over and how would that affect your TV product?

Most importantly, Have the UK ever tended a bid for mania?

I'd think a summerslam is more likely, if they have a domed stadium (maybe spurs new stadium) but I'd say the scale of wrestlemania limits it to the continental USA....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

It would've been impossible in the era of ppv just based on lost ppv revenue from one of their big 4 shows but in the era of The Network where they aren't trying to sell individual shows they should absolutely run a big UK show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Another SummerSlam should be held in the UK. It will be the 30th anniversary next year of the classic one. Makes sense.

Mania is too big of a show to just hold it in the UK randomly. There would be those who would be against it, it's untested in recent times etc.

Who knows maybe WWE don't want to mess with their European tours modal they got going. Maybe an SS UK show would effect the November tours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,682 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Happy 29th anniversary to the greatest royal rumble ever. The 1992 rumble match and event is a brilliant event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Happy 29th anniversary to the greatest royal rumble ever. The 1992 rumble match and event is a brilliant event.

A master class in commentary. A tour de force by Bobby Heenan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

That old wrestling cliché of having “it”.

I have seen comparisons between Sable and herself but of the current performers Scarlett Bordeaux certainly has bucketfuls of “it”.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That old wrestling cliché of having “it”.

I have seen comparisons between Sable and herself but of the current performers Scarlett Bordeaux certainly has bucketfuls of “it”.

I don't see it. She outshines Kross but that's not difficult.

She's hot and wears skin-tight bondage gear, that's all the "it" she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Sirsok

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't see it. She outshines Kross but that's not difficult.

We live in a world where an Irish guy pretending to shout at his girlfriend in a car gets millions of views.

Going by that metric Bordeux most certainly has it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Riddle101

J. Marston wrote: »

That's pretty much what Sable was all about though wasn't it? Sable was terrible on the mic and in the ring, but what made her popular was her sex appeal. Scarlett could definitely do the same. Although I personally believe she is good on the mic and she has plenty of experience in the ring to be competent. I'd say she's well above Sable in terms of talent, it just really depends on how WWE uses her.

Riddle101 wrote: »
    That's pretty much what Sable was all about though wasn't it? Sable was terrible on the mic and in the ring, but what made her popular was her sex appeal. Scarlett could definitely do the same. Although I personally believe she is good on the mic and she has plenty of experience in the ring to be competent. I'd say she's well above Sable in terms of talent, it just really depends on how WWE uses her.

The time of women being portrayed as pieces of meat is long gone. Modern WWE dont mind empowering women, but they wont push the sex appeal as much anymore, so chances of any non wrestler being a top star are reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Scarlett can perform in the ring and has an aptitude for the business as well, so the Sable comparisons are harsh.

Scarlett can perform in the ring and has an aptitude for the business as well, so the Sable comparisons are harsh.

Ive never seen her wrestle, I was under the impression that she was purely a valet and not an in ring performer.

Sable did alright for someone who had no interest in wrestling to be fair.

How good would Scarlett be? Compare her to someone of simular level?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,451 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Sable didn't have it for me compared to Sunny who had it in spades till the drugs took over.

Scarlett has it now in sense that she is bring portrayed differently to every other woman in the company in that she is allowed to totally use her sex appeal something the other woman haven't been doing in the last decade in the WWE as they all wanted to move away from that image and be recognized for their wrestling ability first not their sexiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,451 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I think the lack of house shows and touring is hurting the young talent in wrestling.

They aren't getting the in ring experience they need to get a flow going and an understanding of what a crowd would like and not like.

Wrestling in gyms five days a week and once a week on a TV show really isn't the same as learning on house shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

If Scarlett has half the connection with a live audience and the (relative) drawing power of a Sable she'd be doing extremely well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

If Scarlett has half the connection with a live audience and the (relative) drawing power of a Sable she'd be doing extremely well.

Would she?

Sable came in a time when her only competition was Sunny. She looked good, wore handprints for a bikini, and "wrestled" a bit.

If Sable arrived in today's WWE, she wouldn't hold a candle to many of the talent that's there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Matt Riddle's "bro" schtick is the drizzling ****s and always has been

Also, he should be a heel - he's one of the least likeable WWE guys that I can remember

I think Sable epitomized the era at the time and the crowds lapped up the opportunity to act like edgy horndogs in heat on TV.

Can you credit Sable in any deep way for that.....I don't think so. More the mechanisms of McMahon and Russo.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Would she?

Sable came in a time when her only competition was Sunny. She looked good, wore handprints for a bikini, and "wrestled" a bit.

If Sable arrived in today's WWE, she wouldn't hold a candle to many of the talent that's there today.

I think Eva Marie.

Obviously a horrible wrestler but what a heat magnet.

El Sueño wrote: »

Also, he should be a heel - he's one of the least likeable WWE guys that I can remember

I think if they wanted to him to be a star they should have kept him as a silent, in ring machine.

That said I cant help but laugh at his skits. He has great comedic timing. It wont make him a star, but I find it entertaining.

• Scarlett Bordeaux is more like Marc Mero. WWE signed him to be Johnny B. Badd rather than Marc Mero.

Scarlett was signed for her gimmick too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I think if they wanted to him to be a star they should have kept him as a silent, in ring machine.

That said I cant help but laugh at his skits. He has great comedic timing. It wont make him a star, but I find it entertaining.

Like most of the roster I think he would benefit from a heel turn, they're allowed to be a little more authentic as bad guys as opposed to the WWE version of the cookie cutter babyface robot of current times.

Rollins was an awful face, Reigns was booed out of the building, they had Ambrose as some sort of bizarre hybrid between Mankind and Terry Funk, with the weird promos and penchant for hardcore matches.

They sucked the life out of Owens as well when he turned good guy, whereas Sami Zayn who seemed like generic CAW number 2 from Smackdown VS Raw actually has a personality as a heel

Scarlett Bordeaux is more like Marc Mero. WWE signed him to be Johnny B. Badd rather than Marc Mero.

Scarlett was signed for her gimmick too.

Hmmmm I dunno, she's been the smoke show in Impact and this is more Evil Lyn type sh1t she's doing in NXT. She's shown range and seems into building character.

Necro wrote: »
    Like most of the roster I think he would benefit from a heel turn, they're allowed to be a little more authentic as bad guys as opposed to the WWE version of the cookie cutter babyface robot of current times.

Rollins was an awful face, Reigns was booed out of the building, they had Ambrose as some sort of bizarre hybrid between Mankind and Terry Funk, with the weird promos and penchant for hardcore matches.

They sucked the life out of Owens as well when he turned good guy, whereas Sami Zayn who seemed like generic CAW number 2 from Smackdown VS Raw actually has a personality as a heel

When they turn heel they can take try new things, give less sh!ts and develop new traist and then when the turn back they can keep their traits and still by a babyface.

Rocky Maviia couldnt be face The Rock in 1998 without a heel turn for example.

Hmmmm I dunno, she's been the smoke show in Impact and this is more Evil Lyn type sh1t she's doing in NXT. She's shown range and seems into building character.

But what is she like as an in ring performer?

Compare her to someone similar. I imagine Lana

beakerjoe wrote: »
    But what is she like as an in ring performer?

Compare her to someone similar. I imagine Lana

You can see some matches on YouTube if you're interested. She has a better flow than Lana for me anyway.

All she needs to be is passable and she can build upon that.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

El Sueño wrote: »

Had high hopes for him but his main roster run has been abysmal.. he can go in the ring but as you say, the gimmick is beyond awful and possibly amongst the worst things on raw where pretty much everything stinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

Necro wrote: »

They don’t know how to book most things anymore, especially baby faces. So many times, they make a lot of them totally unliekable. Compare McIntyre a year ago with now. Now he’s a complete dork in a pseudo MC role on raw

Advertisement