Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless roadside art.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

fryup wrote: »
    NO...what?

i presume it will eventually read... no hard border?

Was the abortion referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Does the new light ship lantern at Arklow (M11 J20) count as one? It's up on the roundabout but you can see it from the motorway heading northbound.

Lighthouse-945x510.gif

2019-02-27_wic_48196178_I1.JPG

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/former-lightship-lantern-lights-up-road-into-arklow-37857604.html

_

I read that as they couldn't be arsed preserving the ship as a whole and just cut a piece off and plonked it at a roundabout and scrapped the rest. Kinda typical.
    *roll eyes*

I read that as they couldn't be arsed preserving the ship as a whole and just cut a piece off and plonked it at a roundabout and scrapped the rest. Kinda typical.
    *roll eyes*

I like it and I wouldn't see it on a boat, so I approve of this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The Irish attempt to do similar was less impressive :)

image.jpg

Reminds of the wall on the hill overlooking the N11 at the Glen of the Downs. Political messages used to be painted on it regularly, not as much any more (if ever). Kind of like a precursor to twitter.

Always used it as a reference point that we were nearing home. Now I kind of miss the ramblings in an odd way :D

14491713930_9ace5904ef_b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Reminds of the wall on the hill overlooking the N11 at the Glen of the Downs. Political messages used to be painted on it regularly, not as much any more (if ever). Kind of like a precursor to twitter.

Always used it as a reference point that we were nearing home. Now I kind of miss the ramblings in an odd way :D

IIRC someone painted that wall with a Conor McGregor quote before his fight with Mayweather. But yeah, its not used anywhere near as it was before.

Another one from Wicklow, Hollywood's tongue in cheek sign above the village

maxresdefault.jpg

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Is this to do with Ned Kelly? Think I heard back many moons ago that it was the ancestral house where his father grew up before he was shipped off to Oz, or something. Could be completely wrong though.

Ned Kellys ancestral house would be near Fethard in South Tipperary. Think thats North

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Here's another one. 1979 I think

CiA3TA7W0AAvqA1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like it and I wouldn't see it on a boat, so I approve of this move.

Why? It was on a bloody boat.

Just lazy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

back in the 80's the local ''artists'' wrote the slogan '' free nicky kelly '' [alleged ira man in jail ] on that wall and a local comedian added, ''with every packet of cornflakes '' to it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

aah those were the days,

any of you of a certain vintage remember the H Block graffiti on the roadside walls ??

one brave person in my locality added his comical wit to one such sign...it said..

H B Block icecream for sale :p

*lucky he wasn't knee-capped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For years in the late 70s/early 80s a wall near where I lived had in big letters:

"STOP TORCHOR[sic] IN H-BLOCK"

.. could be clearly viewed from roadside, but "art" - probably not!

This was in the days when graffitists used paintbrushes!

Life ain't always empty.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

was that stop Thatcher or Torture ?? :p

For years in the late 70s/early 80s a wall near where I lived had in big letters:

"STOP TORCHOR[sic] IN H-BLOCK"

.. could be clearly viewed from roadside, but "art" - probably not!

This was in the days when graffitists used paintbrushes!

We've a "Don't Extradite Sean and Ciaran" on the N7 northbound near Rathcoole too.

who's sean and ciaran ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Anyone know the back story to "the white man's face" on the road from Carlingford to omeath?

who's sean and ciaran ?

Dunno, could be there a while but never seen it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just driving through Kilmeadan Co Waterford and there is a dragonfly about 10 feet in length on a plinth on the left side going towards Waterford, it's curious and hard to see probably as they placed it facing out rather than at a three-quarters angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I promised some photos in a previous post of the tree stump art on the N81 opposite the Blue Gardenia pub......

01L.jpg
    02L.jpg
    03L.jpg
    04L.jpg
    05L.jpg
    06L.jpg
    07L.jpg
    08L.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

now that is scary!! if i saw that late at night i'd reckon i'd veer off the road with fright!

*has there been any complaints??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

Feisar wrote: »
    Red Hugh on the horse outside Sligo is cool, everything else I've seen up and down the country is meh with the exception of the three lads with their arms raised between Tullamore and Mullingar.

On the M4 there is a circle and a ring each side of the road as one approaches the toll from the West side. What was the point!??

That would be outside Boyle, Co. Roscommon!

I agree though it's a class piece. Very memorable. The artist was Maurice Harron who lived around the corner from us for a few years, which maybe is why it stands out, but I'd love it regardless of who created it.

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

now that is scary!! if i saw that late at night i'd reckon i'd veer off the road with fright!

*has there been any complaints??

More worryingly I drove past there on Saturday and never seen them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I promised some photos in a previous post of the tree stump art on the N81 opposite the Blue Gardenia pub......

01L.jpg
    02L.jpg
    03L.jpg
    04L.jpg
    05L.jpg
    06L.jpg
    07L.jpg
    08L.jpg

Racist and offensive to native Americans
    Should be removed immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

I've been driving past that wall since the "Free Nicky Kelly" days. A few years ago it gave me a laugh when someone (I suspect not the regular "contributor") had put the message "HONK IF YOU'RE HORNY", which I thought made a nice change from the political stuff. :)

There's a little small castle thing right beside the M50 northbound just at the exit for the N7. I've never noticed it before in my life, has someone just put it up or have trees been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Are they native Americans?
    Don't look it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

People complaining about too much art is when you know a society has reached pinnacle over privileged position

Art doesnt have to have a point anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Poor attempt to provoke outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are they native Americans?
    Don't look it to me.

They're not. They are representations of mythological Irish characters.

Poor attempt to provoke outrage.

I thought it was a tongue in cheek reference to the way things are gone these days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement