Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointless roadside art.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Must say I like that violin...right up my street/road/alley

Groovy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

When I was living in the UK, I used to regularly get a train that passed by this:

A5861663-384-F-4947-B0-F1-2159586772-F1.jpg

As it appears from the railway line:

4-E241302-3-C52-4-F28-97-FB-E810-B3-F81-E4-B.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_White_Horse

Railway-side art! :) I never tired looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Its there since 2007

Yeah...now everyone knows about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Ostrich? Seriously! I think you're messing tbh :D
    yep , serious . the neck and head are clear on the last piece . get the pieces lined up forget about the circular bits .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There are a number of carvings on the chalky downs of southern England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Last year there was a new feature installed at the roundabout at the Halfway on the N71 near Ballinhassig. There's a whole series of what look like ramps built on the roundabout.
    I'm waiting to see will some numpty heading west not bother to slow, climb the roundabout hit one of these and become airborne.

Couldn't Believe those when I saw them. Awful looking yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes there is ...this being the most famous :p

The big willy man being the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I quite like the Naas ball, but I'd agree that most of the rest is cack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,749 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wonder how long this will last ?

Surprised it didn't attract the attentions of those who love non ferrous metals. Probably too big to fit in the back of a Hiace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not quite road side but I love the idea of turning ugly blot on the landscape electricity pylons into art installations.

From Iceland

$

From Russia

tumblr_m0e1zfDPt71qzfsnio1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

When Ennis held the Fleadh in 2016 and 2017, temporary art pieces were placed in some of the roundabouts around the town. I thought they were wonderful and really added to the vibe around the locality for the festival. These were some of them.

I always liked this one when passing through Tubbercurry in County Sligo.

tubbercurry.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 geo15

See Roadside Art of Ireland
    http://arcg.is/1DbW5u

Surprised it didn't attract the attentions of those who love non ferrous metals. Probably too big to fit in the back of a Hiace.

Battery powered grinders and the hot spanner boss.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not quite road side but I love the idea of turning ugly blot on the landscape electricity pylons into art installations.

From Iceland

$

From Russia

tumblr_m0e1zfDPt71qzfsnio1_1280.jpg

Their very cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

When I was living in the UK, I used to regularly get a train that passed by this:

A5861663-384-F-4947-B0-F1-2159586772-F1.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westbury_White_Horse

Railway-side art! :) I never tired looking at it.

That brings back happy memories; thank you! rare school trips to Londoin.. ah those were the days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Does the new light ship lantern at Arklow (M11 J20) count as one? It's up on the roundabout but you can see it from the motorway heading northbound.

Lighthouse-945x510.gif

2019-02-27_wic_48196178_I1.JPG

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/former-lightship-lantern-lights-up-road-into-arklow-37857604.html

_

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

cool,

but could be used as a thick irish joke though...."would you look at whare the paddys have put a lighthouse"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Two from Rosses Point Sligo.

waiting.jpg

waiting3.jpg

The "Waiting on Shore" monument is located near the Lifeboat Station, Rosses Point village and was officially unveiled on August 10th. 2002 by Capt. Frank Devaney and Mrs. Myra Bruen-Curley.

The bronze statue depicts a woman holding her arms out to sea and stands as a memorial to Rosses Point men lost at sea, the sculpture also commemorates the women who waited on shore.

The site for the statue, by sculptor, Niall Bruton, was donated by Sligo County Council and more than E40,000 was raised by a committee for the project.

32304007_1.jpg

metal-man-rosses-point.jpg

Description
    Freestanding, stone navigation beacon, erected 1821. Circular plan. Painted cast-iron statue of Royal Navy petty officer pointing on battered painted coursed ashlar limestone podium with moulded torus roll cut stone string course. Navigation light mounted to front of pedestal. Painted cast-iron access ladder set into channel formed in podium. Situated on Perch Rock between Rosses Point and Oyster Island.

Appraisal
    This figurative navigation beacon, cast in 1819 by Thomas Kirke in London, forms an important element of the maritime history of County Sligo. The sturdy construction of the podium attests to the high quality of the stone masonry while the cast-iron statue raises the interest of the beacon above the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Niska wrote: »
    Really like the Saints and Scholars just past Tullamore

http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/rss/sportonline_world_edition/football/world_cup_2010/video/rss.xml

(Someone elses pic from facebook)

47324705_503393560170094_4493948078427690334_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.com&ig_cache_key=MTk0NDYyNjQzMTA1MDg3Nzc3NA%3D%3D.2

You beat me to it, love those guys. Anyone talking about that f*cking ball being their favourite roadside art is just wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sligojoek wrote: »
    Two from Rosses Point Sligo.

Not roadside

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Not roadside

Not pointless either. Would you like me to delete the post?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

My favourite, as others have already mentioned, are the four statues on the road into Tullamore. My least favourite is that circle thing on the N4 Eastbound you see just before coming to the toll near Enfield.

The Irish attempt to do similar was less impressive :)

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

All I take from this thread is that we have some great roadside art, quite the opposite to the purpose of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote: »
    All I take from this thread is that we have some great roadside art, quite the opposite to the purpose of this thread.

Yeah, I've been pleased to see the way this thread has turned out. They usually move in the other direction.

Muahahaha wrote: »

From Iceland

$

One thing I loved about Iceland was that at any tourist site I visited, they had clearly done their best to make the amenities and safety features sympathetic in appearance to the surrounding landscape.

I think Ireland is improving in that regard too.

• Advertisement

The Irish attempt to do similar was less impressive :)

image.jpg

NO...what?

i presume it will eventually read... no hard border?

Advertisement