Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something called eSports on Sky Sports

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Was channel flicking earlier , came across this .
    The interviewer asked the following question to a finalist .
    " how are you going to warm up,for the final " ???
    I was expecting him to say
    By having a spiff and a couple of mars bars !!!
    But he actually went on to give an actual premiership players answer !!!
    The worlds gone nuts !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,302 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

An esport F1 champion actually got a job as McLaren's official simulator driver.

If you're good enough you can get a profession from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Relaxing on the couch this evening sinking a few beers and putting the feet up. There was an ad break on Sky Sports Golf, so I decided I'd flick through the channels to see what else was on.

Turned on Sky Sports Premier League, and there was something called the ePremier League Final on - two nerds playing the FIFA computer game on TV. How could that be considered a sport, and who would actually sit down and watch two fat lads play computer games? Am I missing something?

At least Liverpool were hammering Manchester United in the final, so there's that I suppose.

Showing that was the final straw for me that made me cancel Sky sports, so at least it was useful for something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Video games cannot be sport, they’re games. Chess isn’t a sport for the same reason.
    Actually chess is recognised as a sport pretty much everywhere in Europe except Britain and Ireland. The International Olympic Committee recognise it for example.

If physical activity is the main criterion, is snooker or darts a sport?

Problem with this is that I really do agree with you that video games aren't a sport, and I'm now fudging the line between sport and game...

I think chess is worth funding from the government's sports budget, but I don't think video gaming is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

My 85 year old dad was watching it and highly engrossed in it and i said you do realise that's a video game don't you? He cursed under his breath and changed the channel. : )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 FrankieFeeler

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Nothing says ‘out of touch’ like gawking at disbelief at a multi billion phenomenon thats been around for a decade.

I dont watch esports personally but its literally everywhere these days. Though this board being full of old men might be why this thread even exists

This guy in particular. ‘WAAAAAAH WHY ARENT THEY CATERING TO ME ANYMORE’

Grow up

Esports have for most of the last decade only really been something you would know about if you happen to have been interested in them yourself and seek them.It's only in the last couple of years that they have appeared on tv where you could come across them without necessarily wanting to.

I'd suggest that someone like yourself who has an issue with every person who has a difference of opinion to them and doesn't have youthful enough tastes/beliefs is the one who needs to grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, gas that we have adults telling people to grow up because they're still playing games. We're not the problem, you are with your narrow views and expectations of what everything should be. Ye strike me as the kind of people who're adamant there are only 2 genders, or that men who want to be women and vice versa as sick in the head.

I'd much prefer watching an eSports match, because 1: I would find it interesting as i'm a gamer, 2: the winners can be virtual unknowns so it keeps it interesting, 3: they can't dive, like every soccer player these days. I think people who either go to the pub or stay at home to watch typical sports are wasting their lives, because they're literally watching millionaires make more money and seem to think that makes them more normal.

Open your minds and realise that the world is changing, gaming is quite mainstream now and of course if there's money to be made, companies will get behind it. Kuro "KuroKy" Takhasomi in a Dota 2 championship won $3.35 million. Yeah, for playing a game, but playing it better than basically everyone else on this planet. He's one of the best in his field, he would be like the Ronaldo of soccer.

And as many have pointed out above, there are some 'sports' which I wouldn't consider a sport either, and I don't consider gaming a sport, which is why it's called eSport (the e stands for electronic, fyi). Either way, you do your thing, we'll do our thing, and we'll leave each other alone to be happy in our blissful ignorance.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Esports have for most of the last decade only really been something you would know about if you happen to have been interested in them yourself and seek them.It's only in the last couple of years that they have appeared on tv where you could come across them without necessarily wanting to.

I'd suggest that someone like yourself who has an issue with every person who has a difference of opinion to them and doesn't have youthful enough tastes/beliefs is the one who needs to grow up.

Its funny when old men try to lecture you on esports.

Its been around since 2006 and became a huge thing in 2009 with dota and league of legends.

Again i dont watch the ****e cause frankly i think its boring.

But youre really REALLY out of touch if you’re surprised that it even exists considering you’d be in your 20’s if you grew up watching it as a kid

Again, boards being full of out of touch old men might be something to do with it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Some old farts here stuck with an 80s/90s mindset, calling gamers "fat nerds", despite how incredibly mainstream it has become alongside a whole host of demographs and types... :rolleyes:

I personally find watching anyone play whatever to be boring, be it men running around kicking a ball, or some streamer shooting the enemy team. I would rather do it myself, thanks.

The irony of people watching others play complaining of others watching [gamers] play is somewhat lost. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

pjohnson wrote: »
    An esport F1 champion actually got a job as McLaren's official simulator driver.

If you're good enough you can get a profession from it.

Most F1 teams now have official eTeams to try and do something similar. Nissan used to run competitions on Grand Turismo, one of the winners is now a professional GT driver and has raced at Le Mans.

Its funny when old men try to lecture you on esports.

Its been around since 2006 and became a huge thing in 2009 with dota and league of legends.

Again i dont watch the ****e cause frankly i think its boring.

But youre really REALLY out of touch if you’re surprised that it even exists considering you’d be in your 20’s if you grew up watching it as a kid

Again, boards being full of out of touch old men might be something to do with it

These things have only been on mainstream broadcasters in the last couple of years (if even that).Sky Sports, BBC etc haven't been broadcasting e-sports for the last 10 years and mainstream media barely reports on it.

Nothing quite as childish as someone saying "you're so out of touch" as if it's a massive slight on their character like you've just done in your post.

These things have only been on mainstream broadcasters in the last couple of years (if even that).Sky Sports, BBC etc haven't been broadcasting e-sports for the last 10 years.

Nothing quite as childish as someone saying "you're so out of touch" as if it's a massive slight on their character like you've just done in your post.

Imagine thinking mainstream means three tv channels.

Really REALLY out of touch man. The internet is more mainstream than TV these days.

Massively out of touch. We’re talking a literal multi billion dollar industry thats been around since 2006 and basically every gaming channel and twitch stream is about it.

But no its not mainstream since its not on sky sports.

Mate i want you to reconsider that maybe you truly are out of touch

Imagine thinking mainstream means three tv channels.

Really REALLY out of touch man. The internet is more mainstream than TV these days.

Massively out of touch. We’re talking a literal multi billion dollar industry thats been around since 2006 and basically every gaming channel and twitch stream is about it.

But no its not mainstream since its not on sky sports.

Mate i want you to reconsider that maybe you truly are out of touch

Couldn't care less if I am out of touch.Claiming not being in touch is some sort of slight on a person character is the ultimate example of childishness.

People playing a game which a simulation of something that might be real is not a sport, it's not real therefore it's not a sport.Claiming e-sports are a sport is like claiming braveheart is a documentary.

Couldn't care less if I am out of touch.Claiming not being in touch is some sort of slight on a person character is the ultimate example of childishness.

People playing a game which a simulation of something that might be real is not a sport, it's not real therefore it's not a sport.Claiming e-sports are a sport is like claiming braveheart is a documentary.

What? Why are you bringing braveheart into this?

What? Why are you bringing braveheart into this?

Because it's not reality .Just like e-sports are not reality.

Because it's not reality .Just like e-sports are not reality.

What are you on about? eSports is a reality, a multi billion dollar reality, as has been pointed out. Just because it has sports at the end doesn't mean it has to be physically enduring, otherwise the following would not be classed as sports (which they are):

Golf
    Bowling
    Snooker/Pool

Plus, have you ever bring in a close Team Deathmatch where literally every kill counts? Gets my blood pumping more than any 'proper' sport.

What are you on about? eSports is a reality, a multi billion dollar reality, as has been pointed out. Just because it has sports at the end doesn't mean it has to be physically enduring, otherwise the following would not be classed as sports (which they are):

Golf
    Bowling
    Snooker/Pool

Plus, have you ever bring in a close Team Deathmatch where literally every kill counts? Gets my blood pumping more than any 'proper' sport.

E-sports are not real.They are simulations on a computer screen.I assume in team death matches people are not killed.

When a golfer takes a shot it actually happens. The club strikes the ball, the ball travels through the air and lands on the ground.

E-sports are not real.They are simulations on a computer screen.I assume in team death matches people are not killed.

When a golfer takes a shot it actually happens. The club strikes the ball, the ball travels through the air and lands on the ground.

Thats a low IQ argument and everyone knows it

I think you're wording is wrong. eSports is real, the content is digital. There are still real people sitting in real seats looking at real computers with real controllers playing a game that exists, so it was made by real people.

The player presses the button, which sends a signal to the computer to do something. Same as golf, input-output, but the outcome is digital. I suppose reading a book is not real, even if the book, pages and ink are real, the content lets your imagination fill in the blanks, so it's not real?

Also, what we're doing right now, a back and forth digital conversation, that's not real by your standards, so you're not real, neither am I. Are we all bots, AI pretending to be human? Is the real us stuck in some biological pod with pink fluid and wires connected to us, imagining this life we're having, a la The Matrix? Did you believe in God at any stage? Or any diety? What you consider real does not limit what is real. Open your mind, broaden your horizons. Or don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

An Olympic sport? Lads sitting around playing computer games and getting a gold medal for it? I’ve heard it all now.

I was known as Quick Thumb Terrence in my estate back in the day. "Fastest thumbs in the West" they said.

51W9TX8RK6L._SX342_.jpg

I think you're wording is wrong. eSports is real, the content is digital. There are still real people sitting in real seats looking at real computers with real controllers playing a game that exists, so it was made by real people.

The player presses the button, which sends a signal to the computer to do something. Same as golf, input-output, but the outcome is digital. I suppose reading a book is not real, even if the book, pages and ink are real, the content lets your imagination fill in the blanks, so it's not real?

Also, what we're doing right now, a back and forth digital conversation, that's not real by your standards, so you're not real, neither am I. Are we all bots, AI pretending to be human? Is the real us stuck in some biological pod with pink fluid and wires connected to us, imagining this life we're having, a la The Matrix? Did you believe in God at any stage? Or any diety? What you consider real does not limit what is real. Open your mind, broaden your horizons. Or don't.

They are not real as sports because the sport that is being contested in an e-sport is not happening just a simulation of the sport based on a computer program that has been designed by somebody.

In madden e-sport competition a football is not being thrown, players are not catching the ball, there is no running or tackling.In a real game of a american football all of those things happen.

99% of the work in an e-sport is done by the person who has designed the game if the game is designed badly nothing happens. 100% of the work in a real sport is being done by the person playing it. Nobody apart from Lionel Messi causes him to pass a ball accurately for an accurate pass to be executed in the FIFA computer game a programmer must design a program properly so that when a button is pressed what is supposed to happen will happen.

Technically this conversation isn't 100% real as once again it depends on a computer program to be programmed correctly. What if when I input the letter A the program for boards is designed badly and so the output is B on the other side.Everything I type here depends on the program for boards to work properly, everything I say in reality is 100% based on me .

Thats a low IQ argument and everyone knows it

Not it's not.

My statement is 100% accurate.

Not it's not.

My statement is 100% accurate.

Your statement does not refute anything. You show a lack of understanding of what esports is. All you did was say a non-refutable statement and called it a win.

. Didnt you bring up braveheart as well?

Also 1+1 = 2.

Your statement does not refute anything. You show a lack of understanding of what esports is. All you did was say a non-refutable statement and called it a win.

. Didnt you bring up braveheart as well?

Also 1+1 = 2.

Good lad yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Esports? Anyone can get good a computer game with enough time

You could say that about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

id rather watch esports and then play some competitive matches then drink beer and shout at the screen while someone else is pouring sweat and health into it.

difference being one can partake in most esports easily, dont think many can go out randomly and find football team let alone play entire match for real.

So why can't sports in an electronic fashion be called Electronic Sports? One of the major players in the gaming industry is Electronic Arts (feelings about them aside), but going by your explanation, it's not real art because it's not physical. And gaming is an art, just like sport. I think we should just agree to disagree, we both seem firm in our stances.
    Esports? Anyone can get good a computer game with enough time. It's not a skill.

Only a small minority have what it takes to be a professional sportsman.

And now I know you know nothing about gaming.

Anyone can get good at sports with enough time, it's not a skill. Only a small minority have what it takes to be a professional gamer.

Sounds ridiculous right? So does your comment to people who understand gaming as an industry. There are between 500-1000 professional gamers out there. There are about 265 million professional soccer players, so not including other sports. Sounds easier to become a professional sports star than it does to become a professional gamer. Yes, more people play sport so it would be higher, but it's still easier sounding to become a pro gamer. Wonder why more people don't do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Sport : definition

an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

Ill just leave that there.

Esports me arse.

• Advertisement

Yeah, we're not calling it sports for that reason. It's eSports, as in electronic sports. What's so hard to understand? Is email not real because it's not physical mail?

Advertisement